Out of the 3, which was the best epic movie? "300", "Gladiator" or "Bravehe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
This one's a tough one. What do you think?

FistOfThe North
Opps, looks like "Braveheart" didn't fit all the way. Anyway, you know the movie i mean..

forumcrew
as much as i liked 300 i dont think it compares at all in terms of "epic" movies.

sithsaber408
Braveheart, easily.

WrathfulDwarf
Lord of the Rings..

...Oops! I mean...I dunno...neither I would consider great epics.

Strangelove
Gladiator. I agree with forumcrew, 300 doesn't really qualify as an epic film

exanda kane
Gladiator, although I must say I do prefer Kingdom of Heaven, despite the weak lead in Orlando Bloom.

Mel Gibson puts me off alot with his preachy Wallace and representation of the English, but still an enjoyable film.

SnakeEyes
Gladiator.

Solo
Gladiator, easily.

sithsaber408
Gladiator was not that epic.

It was a personal revenge story, set in an "epic" (translate: older) time period.

Braveheart was a revenge of the dead woman story as well, however William Wallace was a real life Scottsman who led his people to a revolution against a tyrannical rule by an evil king.

Both kings in these films died, and in Gladiator Maximus even has the pleasure of doing it himself, but it seems to me that the legend of William Wallace is far more epic. cool

ragesRemorse
300 wasnt epic, it had a back story to leonidas but thats about as epic as it gets.

Though I like gladiator much more as a film, Braveheart is one of the finest executed epic films i have ever seen. You really get the sense of a great span in time and character development in that movie. To me Gladiator was epic in that a man was broken and was forced on a journey that led him back to finding himself. I diddnt really get the feel of spanning time or chaning characters. I think Gladiator had better acting though

The Hawk
Im just going to say which movie I liked best, and my vote goes to Gladiator. No need to over analyze things.

ragesRemorse
do you think when mel gibson had his big line at the end of braveheart "freedom!" do you think he meant everyone but jews?

Bubble_O_Bill
Braveheart for pure emotional ride.

exanda kane
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Gladiator was not that epic.

It was a personal revenge story, set in an "epic" (translate: older) time period.

Braveheart was a revenge of the dead woman story as well, however William Wallace was a real life Scottsman who led his people to a revolution against a tyrannical rule by an evil king.

The Roman Empire covered almost all central europe, east asia and some parts of africa, and apparently you say it isn't as epic as the Scottish-English border?

Both are revenge stories; Wallace's story was vastly exaggerated from the source material however, whereas the real William Wallace was a part of the scottish gentry, not a commoner.

Edward was not an evil king, he was in fact, a typical king, and prone to the norms of monarchy. Wallace was a brute and a killer. You could say both are evil.

ragesRemorse
all tyrannical kings get deemed evil, thats a shame, because julias ceasor is aces in my book

sithsaber408
Originally posted by exanda kane
The Roman Empire covered almost all central europe, east asia and some parts of africa, and apparently you say it isn't as epic as the Scottish-English border?

Both are revenge stories; Wallace's story was vastly exaggerated from the source material however, whereas the real William Wallace was a part of the scottish gentry, not a commoner.

Edward was not an evil king, he was in fact, a typical king, and prone to the norms of monarchy. Wallace was a brute and a killer. You could say both are evil.

OK.

His story is still true, and the story of Maximus isn't.

THATS what makes Braveheart more "epic" to me.

Also, the battle scenes include armies of thousands against each other, whereas Gladiators battles are small groups or one-on-one in an arena.

Still epic, but I just like Braveheart better I guess.

"An Irishman has to talk to God to converse with his equal."

stick out tongue

exanda kane
William Wallace's life as shown in Braveheart is so fictionalised it may well be made just as viable as that of Maximus.

coolmovies
Gladiator and you know it

EPIIIBITES
Braveheart.

Haven't seen 300 yet, but it's just an action picture that doesn't seem to belong on this list.

If it's down to action, the scenes in Gladiator were filmed horribly bad. Too many tight shots...really shaky camera work...and some weird, ultra crisp film really wasted what had a lot of potential. The CG was lacking as well...

Lots there for the alpha male, but Braveheart is a more complete picture.

And apart from American Beauty, can't think of a more overrated oscar giant than Gladiator.

sithsaber408
Aye, but Mel Gibson hates Jews.

Don't forget.

Honestly, that's been the best reason I've heard so far as to why Braveheart isn't a better film than Gladiator. stick out tongue

And it is.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
Braveheart.

Haven't seen 300 yet, but it's just an action picture that doesn't seem to belong on this list.

If it's down to action, the scenes in Gladiator were filmed horribly bad. Too many tight shots...really shaky camera work...and some weird, ultra crisp film really wasted what had a lot of potential. The CG was lacking as well...

Lots there for the alpha male, but Braveheart is a more complete picture.

And apart from American Beauty, can't think of a more overrated oscar giant than Gladiator.

i used to think the same thing about the action shots in gladiator, untill i realized that that was done on purpose to convey the feeling of enclosure. If you watch the special features on the special edition Gladiator you can really get a sense of how brialliant of a filmaker ridley scott is. The cgi is great i think, especially for the time that it came out.

EPIIIBITES
I do realize it was done on purpose...but at the end of the day I thought it was just unsatisfying (and almost nauseating)

And the effects for that film are frequently panned. CG artists I was working with at the time were kinda shocked it won the award for best effects over Hollow Man and....ahh I forget the other one.

ADarksideJedi
I did see Gladiator but not Braveheart.300 does not even deserve to be talked about or seen so don't waste your money on it people!jm

ragesRemorse
I do realize it was done on purpose...but at the end of the day I thought it was just unsatisfying (and almost nauseating)

And the effects for that film are frequently panned. CG artists I was working with at the time were kinda shocked it won the award for best effects over Hollow Man and....ahh I forget the other one.

i cant even remember what else was competing in the academy that year. I thought you meant that you were shocked for it winning best picture. I diddnt even know it won for best effects. That surprises me. Was hollow man even nominated that year?

EPIIIBITES
It was...as was The Perfect Storm (thanks wiki), which was the weakest of the three.

And I was suprised Gladiator won best picture...and swept that year.

Supreme being
It was...as was The Perfect Storm (thanks wiki), which was the weakest of the three.

And I was surprised Gladiator won best picture...and swept that year.

I am not surprised it was an amazing film and after the absence of epic films of this sort for 5 years the last being brave-hearth i found it really fresh. Although i do think brave-hearth is the better film there's just something touching about it, and to those saying both films are both as unreal as each other i would have to give the unreal award to gladiator as i mean one man taking on an emperor and winning yeah right.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Supreme being
I am not surprised it was an amazing film and after the absence of epic films of this sort for 5 years the last being brave-hearth i found it really fresh. Although i do think brave-hearth is the better film there's just something touching about it, and to those saying both films are both as unreal as each other i would have to give the unreal award to gladiator as i mean one man taking on an emperor and winning yeah right.

well he diddnt exactly take on an empire, just an emperor. I think both are just as believable in their execution, aside from the emperor dueling with a Gladiator Gladiator was very believable.

exanda kane
But is the reward given for how good the CGI is, or the use of the CGI? Or both, together, because the way it was used in Gladiator far exceeded the way it was used in Hollow Man. The CGi was the story.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.