Largest School Shooting in American History

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

InnerRise
Name of the School: Virginia Tech (College University)

It's just hours away from my house.

Of course it's being covered by all of the Local News so I'm fairly up to date as compared to the rest of the world.

Of course it happened in Virginia.

22 Dead. 28 Casualties. Numbers are expected to rise. Expected to end up in the Low 30's. If the death toll was to exceed 23, this even would be known as The Deadliest Mass Shooting in U.S. History.

The mind boggling thing is that it occurred over 2 instances.

The first instance was around 7am this morning where someone was shot and killed in a dormitory.

Now what's mind boggling is that the school did nothing. No Police was called, school still went on as normal, which is why the second instance was able to happen where a class room a students were shot and and some killed, if not all and other places in the building as well.

A Professor was shot. In one instance students barricaded the door with their bodies, pushing against it trying to prevent the killer from getting in so he shot through the door and was able to shoot them that way.

So yeah......I believe the second, more horrible, instance could have been avoided if the proper precautions were taken after the first shooting.

The killer was a student there, of Asian decent and killed himself. How he died no one knows. They are suspecting another killer as well, but it's not confirmed. The killer was supposedly looking for his girlfriend.

Students were jumping out buildings to get away b/c in one of the buildings it took place on the 4th floor.

SO yeah.......

I have High School Classmates who actually go to that school......

EDIT: For those that care to read, here's some information, it's not as up to date though.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/gunman-kills-21-people-at-virginia-tech/20070416102509990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

WrathfulDwarf
The first reports came in and said the shooter was arrested. But about half an hour ago it was reported he was shot dead by police. I been following the story since the morning.

PiruBlood
yea i caught this on the news and shit man thats crazy.

FistOfThe North
It's not the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history. Probably in a U.S. schools history, yea.

Schecter
Originally posted by InnerRise
Largest School Shooting in American History

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
It's not the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history. Probably in a U.S. schools history, yea.

What the f**k?

PiruBlood

shit man if you wanna see deadly shootings come to 45th and western in chicago.

chillmeistergen
It's absolutely horrible, just seen it on the news here. I think something needs to be done about this, 19 school shootings in a year is just out of control.

InnerRise
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
The first reports came in and said the shooter was arrested. But about half an hour ago it was reported he was shot dead by police. I been following the story since the morning. Well it's been confirmed that he killed himself.

Ok, see I was looking at it on my Local News. I see now that it's being covered on a global scale.

PiruBlood
isnt this the month of the collombine shooting?

WrathfulDwarf
Well it's been confirmed that he killed himself.

Ok, see I was looking at it on my Local News. I see now that it's being covered on a global scale.

Well now is unspecified whether he was gun down by police or kill himself.

InnerRise
The death toll has risen to 31 and they just now titled this event as The Deadliest Mass Shooting in U.S. History.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

speiderman
what the **** is wrong with someone. how do you kill 36 people?>

how is someone so morally bankrupt and cold blooded?

Quiero Mota
I wonder what musician and/or video game they're gonna blame for this one...

speiderman
is life so cheap nowadays?

Schecter
Originally posted by speiderman
what the **** is wrong with someone. how do you kill 36 people?>

how is someone so morally bankrupt and cold blooded?

i wouldnt even attempt to ponder that. maybe he was a student who flunked out...maybe he was convinced that his dog told him to do it.

but the media will attempt to assess blame and reason to this as usual, i suspect

Originally posted by Quiero Mota

bingo

Devil King
I just spent an hour talking to a friend of mine that goes there. He's in Holland right now and heard about it from his mother. I'm glad he wasn't there, but he's a wreck over this.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Schecter
What the f**k?

If you'd have read the thread starters' passage, you'd see the emboldened "The deadliest mass shooting in US history" line. You can't miss it. But since questionably, you'd rather pay much more attention to me, you missed it i guess.

Stay focused.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Devil King
I just spent an hour talking to a friend of mine that goes there. He's in Holland right now, and heard about it from his mother. I'm glad he wasn't there, but he's a wreck over this.

Ijole! Your friend just might have dodged a bullet.

chillmeistergen
If you'd have read the thread starters' passage, you'd see the emboldened "The deadliest mass shooting in US history" line. You can't miss it. But since questionably, you'd rather pay much more attention to me, you missed it i guess.

Stay focused.

Read the title of the thread.

Lana

Stay focused.

And if you read the entire sentence that bolded line was part of, you'd see that it was saying if the number of deaths rose above 23 then it'd be the deadliest mass shooting in US history.

Schecter

Stay focused.

If the death toll was to exceed 23, this even would be known as The Deadliest Mass Shooting in U.S. History.

stay focused, indeed

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Read the title of the thread.

laughing out loud

InnerRise

Stay focused. No, You should have paid attention and read more than just the bolded words.

Either way you're wrong now.

speiderman
this country is going to hell in a handbasket.

Schecter
this country is going to hell in a handbasket.

no it isnt. i mean....it is, but not on account of the occasional psychotic mass-killer imho.

speiderman
I am totally disheartened.

Robtard
It's too early to run around flapping our wings yelling "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"... There's probably a lot more to this story than just a few pissed off people killing just because.

chillmeistergen
I agree it's not due to the random psychos that commit these crimes, but, something does need to be done about gun laws in the U.S. EDIT: That was in reply to schecter's post.

Devil King
Ijole! Your friend just might have dodged a bullet.

Indeed. That's what has him so flipped out. He doesn't know if he's friends with or knows anyone who got shot, but he says he's been in that building many times.

speiderman
something needs to be done about us culture.
from imus to this. this is a debauched culture

InnerRise
I don't know if this is actually true or not, but it's been said that the shooter was on the 4th floor of the dormitory arguing with his girlfriend.

The Residential Assistance came out and tried to help and he shot her and his girlfriend.

He later went to class.......lined up the students......and shot them.

Schecter
I am totally disheartened.

i think you should leave it at that, as its completely understandable.
once you return to objectivity you'll understand that its not all connected and this is not apocalyptic.

Quiero Mota
Indeed. That's what has him so flipped out. He doesn't know if he's friends with or knows anyone who got shot, but he says he's been in that building many times.

Damn! 20 something people...he just might know someone.

Did you just compare Imus to this?

------------

Does anyone have the skinny on this? Did some nutcase just start spraying random people, or did he have systematic targets?

Devil King
Damn! 20 something people...he just might know someone.

Try 32

Shakyamunison
Dose anyone know why this happened?

Quiero Mota
IHe later went to class.......lined up the students......and shot them.

****!

Schecter
I agree it's not due to the random psychos that commit these crimes, but, something does need to be done about gun laws in the U.S. EDIT: That was in reply to schecter's post.

you misunderstood. what i meant is, unfortunately, this was simply the act of a random psycho. gun control laws mean little in such a case. take away guns and they'll just learn to make bombs with common supplies. its simply part of the human condition that occasionally lots of people will be murdered and robbed from their families....for nothing

Devil King
you misunderstood. what i meant is, unfortunately, this was simply the act of a random psycho. gun control laws mean little in such a case. take away guns and they'll just learn to make bombs with common supplies. its simply part of the human condition that occasionally lots of people will be murdered and robbed from their families....for nothing

LIES! These things didn't happen in the good ole days!

Did they?

InnerRise
Try 32 Rather 31.

Devil King
Rather 31.

gotta count the gunman.

WrathfulDwarf
CNN says 22 are dead including the gunman and 29 are wounded.

Schecter
also:

NBC: at least 32

FOX: 32

Devil King
Fox News says it's 32. But CNN.com says 22.

InnerRise
gotta count the gunman. The shooter is supposedly included in that 31.

EDIT: Well Fox News is............well....it's Fox News....speaks for itself really.

chillmeistergen
Channel 4 news here in the UK also said 32.

Thorinn
Some sad stuff and shit.

WrathfulDwarf
Well this IS a developing story...so reports will contradict between sources anything could be said.....unless some idiot comes out saying Godzilla attack Tokyo this morning.

Schecter
no point in looking for reliable figures on this until its all tallied. at this point its all just thrown out speculation after speculation

Devil King
no point in looking for reliable figures on this until its all tallied. its all just throw out speculation after speculation

You seem to have a really negative opinion about American media.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Well this IS a developing story...so reports will contradict between sources anything could be said.....unless some idiot comes out saying Godzilla attack Tokyo this morning.

Oh! eek! Godzilla attacked Tokyo? mad I hate when that happens. laughing

Schecter

9/11/01. need i explain more?

i dont trust a business which looks forward to a day like this with anticipation, since this is their bread and butter.

Devil King
9/11/01. need i explain more?

I think you've over explained it already.

silver_tears
I have a really bad opinion about America in general. shrug

chillmeistergen

It's what any media does in a crisis, they hear a whisper and they shout it.

Devil King
Originally posted by silver_tears

I love Aqualung. Good for you.

silver_tears
I love Aqualung. Good for you.

thank_you

FeceMan
The shooter is supposedly included in that 31.

EDIT: Well Fox News is............well....it's Fox News....speaks for itself really.

Nuurh.

meep-meep

For some reason you remind of the character Tweek in South Park.

FistOfThe North
stay focused, indeed

A question. Try focusing. Now I know it's extremely difficult for you to do so since you always show how hard it is for you but just try harder, for now, but didn't the Civil War have the most mass shootings in the U.S. history?

Schecter
A question. Try focusing. Now I know it's extremely difficult for you to do so since you always show how hard it is for you but just try harder, for now, but didn't the Civil War have the most mass shootings in the U.S. history?

dotdotdot

office jesus

Ha. That was the first thought in my mind. "What was he playing recently?"

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by office jesus
Ha. That was the first thought in my mind. "What was he playing recently?"

I hope it's me. laughing out loud

office jesus
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I hope it's me. laughing out loud

sick

Shakyamunison
sick

Ya, no one would kill over my music.wander laughing

office jesus
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Ya, no one would kill over my music.wander laughing

No..no..they'd just kill themselves. laughing

sithsaber408

Just curious Silver, but where are you from?

silver_tears
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Just curious Silver, but where are you from?

Canada, but I was born in Europe.

However off topic, on the whole opinion of America thing, I just find it funny that the man in charge crusades for Americans' rights to bear arms, to protect themselves and whats theirs while at the same time he protests stem cell research which would in actuality save millions of lives. What's even more ridiculous is he's still in power while he runs the country into the ground when he's at work yet Clinton, a relatively "good" president was impeached for getting blown while at work.

Shakyamunison
No..no..they'd just kill themselves. laughing

Hey! If you keep going, my feelings are going to get hurt. stick out tongue laughing out loud

Robtard

http://www.animationplayhouse.com/clown_dance.gif

Grinning Goku
Well, for those of you that don't agree with the death penalty, I hope this incident will make you at least think about reconsidering your stance.

Schecter
Originally posted by Grinning Goku
Well, for those of you that don't agree with the death penalty, I hope this incident will make you at least think about reconsidering your stance.

no, not really erm

i mean, im glad they shot him before he could kill others, but if they caught him and locked him up for good it wouldnt make a difference to me. revenge does not equal justice

FistOfThe North
Last time i looked at least 30 were dead now.

InnerRise
Well now it's being said that there are 32 Deaths including the Gunman, who killed himself.

Approx. Half of the students have left. But classes resume tomorrow.

I wouldn't have left.

Schecter
i dont know....if my day consisted of seeing friends and peers murdered i'd probably have to take the rest of the day off at least. not like i could just get back to concentrating on class assignments. i imagine the curriculum will suffer for quite some time in fact.

office jesus
i dont know....if my day consisted of seeing friends and peers murdered i'd probably have to take the rest of the day off at least. not like i could just get back to concentrating on class assignments. i imagine the curriculum will suffer for quite some time in fact.

Yep. Surely they'd understand that something as big as this will cause a lot of people not to want to go tomorrow.

Tengu
Canada, but I was born in Europe.

However off topic, on the whole opinion of America thing, I just find it funny that the man in charge crusades for Americans' rights to bear arms, to protect themselves and whats theirs while at the same time he protests stem cell research which would in actuality save millions of lives. What's even more ridiculous is he's still in power while he runs the country into the ground when he's at work yet Clinton, a relatively "good" president was impeached for getting blown while at work. he was impeached because he lied under oath, he might have gotten away with it, if he had just came clean from the beginning.

On the shooting, i too wonder what was going through his mind. Its not justfiable at all under no circumstance. If it were 2 people picking on him, then yeah the motive for killing just those 2 are there. But what could possibly drive you to attempt to kill dozens of people... it just hurts my stomach thinking about it. sad

Grinning Goku
no, not really erm

i mean, im glad they shot him before he could kill others, but if they caught him and locked him up for good it wouldnt make a difference to me. revenge does not equal justice

It does when I'm not paying for some schmuck to get fat in a prison cell.

Schecter
ok, lets avoid the topic then. dont feel like going down the "tax money" fallacy avenue again.

InnerRise
i dont know....if my day consisted of seeing friends and peers murdered i'd probably have to take the rest of the day off at least. not like i could just get back to concentrating on class assignments. i imagine the curriculum will suffer for quite some time in fact. Well school IS cancelled so I don't think that's the issue.

You don't have to leave the campus to have the rest of the day off. And the campus as a whole did NOT see people being massacred.

Schecter
Well school IS cancelled so I don't think that's the issue.

You don't have to leave the campus to have the rest of the day off. And the campus as a whole did NOT see people being massacred.

oh yes i agree that campus residents may as well stay. i was just referring to actual classes/learning.

Devil King
ok, lets avoid the topic then.

Sure. On a related note, where is that khan video you posted a few days ago? I thought it was on youtube, but I can't find it.

chillmeistergen
It does when I'm not paying for some schmuck to get fat in a prison cell.

Ah as always back to whining about taxes. Selfish is all I have to say to that.

Schecter
Sure. On a related note, where is that khan video you posted a few days ago? I thought it was on youtube, but I can't find it.

this one?
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=8731231&highlight=kirk#post8731231

KidRock
So was the guy killed by police? Or did he shoot himself?

Grinning Goku

I didn't say that I wouldn't want to support a criminal because I'm greedy; my tax dollars could be thrown at so many other areas that could actually assist in bringing about social reform and other more benign endeavors. Just saying.

Robtard

Yeah, I can agree that whining about the "taxes" when it comes to be for or against the death penalty is a selfish stance. A question though, if these people had been your loved ones would you still be against the death penalty and not asking for this guys head on stick ?

Robtard
Originally posted by KidRock

Best thing to do is wait until tomorrow or much later tonight as the stories fluctuate heavily when it's 'brand new' news.

Schecter
Originally posted by Robtard
Yeah, I can agree that whining about the "taxes" when it comes to be for or against the death penalty is a selfish stance. A question though, if these people had been your loved ones would you still be against the death penalty and not asking for this guys head on stick ?

absolutely i would want his head on a stick. which is why we strive to have an impartial and objective system of justice. imho revenge consumes and destroys justice rather than enforces it.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by KidRock

Reports are now saying he was shot by the police.

debbiejo
He must of missed his pill time too... sad

Schecter
Originally posted by debbiejo

must every topic serve as a segway into one of your failed infinitely running gags?

debbiejo
maybe.

chillmeistergen

Of course I would want to kill him if it was my relatives he'd killed. But the fact is it isn't. This case is also very out of the ordinary and could only really end the way it did, as the man was clearly out of his mind and would never surrender.

Robtard
absolutely i would want his head on a stick. which is why we strive to have an impartial and objective system of justice. imho revenge consumes and destroys justice rather than enforces it.

Not that I disagree wholeheartedly; I was making a point about "selfishness".

Devil King
this one?
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=8731231&highlight=kirk#post8731231

That's the one. Cheers.

Robtard
Of course I would want to kill him if it was my relatives he'd killed. But the fact is it isn't. This case is also very out of the ordinary and could only really end the way it did, as the man was clearly out of his mind and would never surrender.

...and that is selfish too.

Puzzle
Originally posted by debbiejo

durfist

Robtard
That's the one. Cheers.

KHAN-NNNN!

Grinning Goku
Minority Report anyone?

chillmeistergen
...and that is selfish too.

Saw that one coming, everyone has selfish tendencies, but, there is a huge difference between not wanting to part with extra money and wanting to kill a man, who, has killed your loved ones.

Grinning Goku
Saw that one coming, everyone has selfish tendencies, but, there is a huge difference between not wanting to part with extra money and wanting to kill a man, who, has killed your loved ones.

Thank you!

Robtard

Point was, you'd be against the death penalty unless something directly affected you, that's as selfish if not more so than not wanting to keep a murderer alive behind bars forever because it will cost 'X' amount of dollars each year (which is selfish too).

Grinning Goku
It's a waste of money. Why should we waste money helping a bastard who's going to rot in jail after trails and appeals? That 'X' amount of dollars could be spent on something potentially more beneficial to everyone.

chillmeistergen
Point was, you'd be against the death penalty unless something directly affected you, that's as selfish if not more so than not wanting to keep a murderer alive behind bars forever because it will cost 'X' amount of dollars each year (which is selfish too).

I would want that for the one person that committed the murder of my loved one dead, not for the death penalty for all murders. Which yes is selfish, but I think everyone would feel the same way in that situation. Money and personal trauma are entirely different and we have to remember that this is what people who are going through loss are going through, trauma. There's a huge difference between a loved one no longer being around because they were cruelly taken out of this world by a killer and having to cut back on some luxury items to pay the extra tax.

Alliance
I think this is completely horrible. cry

Love to all our brothers and sisters at VT from UW Madison.

Eclipso
Well, it's the way society is going. And it's the largest mass shooting in US history according to CNN. The truly sad thing is that it will probably get worse over time.

chillmeistergen
Just saw on the news some bloke from a thing called the Virginia defence league is saying that students should be allowed to carry guns, to protect themselves against this kind of thing happening. What a brilliant idea.....'You taking the 9mm or the rifle to school today son?'

Morning_Glory
faint whoa just came home and saw all this... is the count just at 32 ... not expecting anymore to die are they???? sad

BackFire
What a horrible event, my heart goes out to everyone involved.

Schecter
It's a waste of money. Why should we waste money helping a bastard who's going to rot in jail after trails and appeals? That 'X' amount of dollars could be spent on something potentially more beneficial to everyone.
thats ridiculously ingenuine. your only motivation would be revenge, and not the $0.01 you spend a year in taxes to pay for people who are imprisoned for life (or whatever miniscule and insignificant amount we end up paying.)

you want to see killers killed. thats the fact. be honest and i'll at least respect that. ill disagree completely, but ill respect your honesty.

Alliance
Originally posted by Eclipso
Well, it's the way society is going. And it's the largest mass shooting in US history according to CNN. The truly sad thing is that it will probably get worse over time.

People have always percieved society as "going downhill." People with an objective view of the situation can actually see that thast not necessarily the case.

Eclipso
Originally posted by Alliance
People have always percieved society as "going downhill." People with an objective view of the situation can actually see that thast not necessarily the case.

Im so sick of people ignoring whats happening all around us for the sheer sake of being "optimistic". We won't be able to solve problems like this until we stop pretending we live in a better world then we do.

Grinning Goku
thats ridiculously ingenuine. your only motivation would be revenge, and not the $0.01 you spend a year in taxes to pay for people who are imprisoned for life (or whatever miniscule and insignificant amount we end up paying.)

you want to see killers killed. thats the fact. be honest and i'll at least respect that. ill disagree completely, but ill respect your honesty.

Of course I want sadistic, premeditative killers killed. I see you ignored the fact that I mentioned that the money (when redirected) could actually help benefit society.

The Pict
Heard about this on the news at work. F*cking psycho shot himself at least.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by The Pict
Heard about this on the news at work. F*cking psycho shot himself at least. He actually got shot by the police. Anyway, even though I'm sorry for those who died, one of my exs is a hokie, so I'm happy that she's fine and safe.

Inspectah Deck
I don't know if this is actually true or not, but it's been said that the shooter was on the 4th floor of the dormitory arguing with his girlfriend.

The Residential Assistance came out and tried to help and he shot her and his girlfriend.

He later went to class.......lined up the students......and shot them.

do they know where he got the weapons?

chillmeistergen
Of course I want sadistic, premeditative killers killed. I see you ignored the fact that I mentioned that the money (when redirected) could actually help benefit society.

I see the death penalty as more condoning murder than enforcing justice. It is an act of murdering murderers, that fact is inescapable.

Redirecting the money into something more beneficial, oh I see killing for the greater good. Please excuse me but I don't think this is an example of altruistic nature at all, more an act of selfishness. 'We could have something better if this scum weren't leeching off us' attitude is ridiculous, when this argument is raised it is no longer about the horrific crimes that take place and more about how much change you can keep in your pocket.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
do they know where he got the weapons?

Eventually they will trace it to the source....but I can't help it to think this is far more than a single handgun. Takes a lot of firepower to kill 30 people. Best to wait for the details from the police report...

Victor Von Doom
Our police don't even get guns, because of the risk of misuse.

Eclipso
Yeah but over here in North America people love guns for some stupid reason.

Vinny Valentine
I heard he went looking for his girlfriend, couldn't find her, and lined the students up and shot them as they said they didn't' know where she was.

KharmaDog
There's a thread on this isue in the conspiracey forum and it disgusts me.

Vinny Valentine
Originally posted by KharmaDog

Are you serious? That's ****ing stupid.

<- Watching the Press Conf.

Schecter

...as if the prison systems, and the miniscule fraction of our taxes dollars they represernt hinder us from social structuring and benefits. no benefit would come. you would save a few cents from exterminating killers. maybe 2 dollars? is that the heart of the issue im not supposed to ignore? "i want my 2 dollars"?

Robtard
Yeah but over here in North America people love guns for some stupid reason.

The 'Bill of Rights' is stupid?

Grinning Goku
I see the death penalty as more condoning murder than enforcing justice. It is an act of murdering murderers, that fact is inescapable.

Redirecting the money into something more beneficial, oh I see killing for the greater good. Please excuse me but I don't think this is an example of altruistic nature at all, more an act of selfishness. 'We could have something better if this scum weren't leeching off us' attitude is ridiculous, when this argument is raised it is no longer about the horrific crimes that take place and more about how much change you can keep in your pocket.

Look, I understand how much you value human life, and so do I, more than anything else, I might add. But tell me, how am I vengeful If I want an incorrigible, GUILTY murder to get what is still a lawful act of punishment (in certain states and countries, that is). I'm not a capitalist scumbag, I just think that criminals of the aforementioned kind deserve to die.

ragesRemorse
im impressed actually man, this cat only had two 9's and was able to take down 33 kids. The coumbine kids had a small arsenal of auotmatic asualt rifles and bombs and only racked up half of this guys body count. I guess experience goes a long way eh

Eclipso
Originally posted by KharmaDog

I know, but some people who have little concern for the grief of others will always find a away to mock it. just ignore it, all they are seeking is attention.

Eclipso
The 'Bill of Rights' is stupid?

The part about beairng arms is. It's an outdated law that shouldve been dropped.

Vinny Valentine
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
im impressed actually man, this cat only had two 9's and was able to take down 33 kids. The coumbine kids had a small arsenal of auotmatic asualt rifles and bombs and only racked up half of this guys body count. I guess experience goes a long way eh

Get out.

And also, you don't know what he had.. They haven't released it.

What you just said is a bit out of line.

Schecter
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

why do you just assume he was some mega-lee harvy oswald marksman? he might have shot them point blank. messed

Burnt Pancakes
I believe they have. I've heard that on several other sites.

Robtard
The part about beairng arms is. It's an outdated law that shouldve been dropped.

Glad you get to say which parts are "outdated" and should be dropped. What's next "Freedom of Religion"?

Darth Macabre
The part about beairng arms is. It's an outdated law that shouldve been dropped. I guess Freedom of Religion should be thrown out too, right? Since I think religion is stupid.

Edit: Damn, Robtard, we both basically said the same thing. laughing

Ushgarak
Trying to bring equity between Freedom of Religion and a right to bear arms is the kind of thinking that tends to make the US a lauhging stock in many parts of the world.

It's also the kind of thinking that makes this kind of thing sadly not as rare as it should be in the US.

Robtard
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Trying to bring equity between Freedom of Religion and a right to bear arms is the kind of thinking that tends to make the US a lauhging stock in many parts of the world.

It's also the kind of thinking that makes this kind of thing sadly not as rare as it should be in the US.

How so? Are you telling me the misuse and the skewing of Religion hasn't lead to people being wrongfully killed?

Darth Macabre
Trying to bring equity between Freedom of Religion and a right to bear arms is the kind of thinking that tends to make the US a lauhging stock in many parts of the world. Not at all...It's a right guaranteed by the United States Government in the Bill of Rights. Just as freedom of speech, freedom of the press, etc. To take that away, to take away a right that can both cause harm and good, is unacceptable. Just because a few idiots here and there do this type of thing, killing innocent people, doesn't justify re-writing the Bill of Rights and amending the constitution.

Eclipso
The right to bear arms is a relic of colonial times. In many countries in europe guns are banned outright and their death count is far far lower.

Ushgarak
But that is not what Freedom of Religion is in any way related to; that is asimply a clause that modern civilisation uses to ensure the days when people were killed and exiled simply because of their religion do not occur again, as it still does in many other countries.

A hazy right to own lethal weaponry is very much NOT considered such a staple of modern civilisation.

The two cannot be reasonably compared.

Eclipso
Just for the record I am perfectly fine with throwing out religon as well.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Not at all...It's a right guaranteed by the United States Government in the Bill of Rights. Just as freedom of speech, freedom of the press, etc. To take that away, to take away a right that can both cause harm and good, is unacceptable. Just because a few idiots here and there do this type of thing, killing innocent people, doesn't justify re-writing the Bill of Rights and amending the constitution.

Once more-

Your logic that states that a right to bear arms is equitable to those other rights you mention... that's the laughing stock bit, you see?

It's not a right you need, it's not a fundamental human right, and it is a contributor to an enormous gun death problem in the US which is completely and utterly out of proportion with all other western countires.

WrathfulDwarf
Pete's sake don't make me bring out my Cuban factor...please...

Eclipso
Exactly, oh and yes I would be fine with getting rid of religon too.

Robtard
But that is not what Freedom of Religion is in any way related to; that is asimply a clause that modern civilisation uses to ensure the days when people were killed and exiled simply because of their religion do not occur again, as they still do in many other countries.

A hazy right to own lethal weaponry is very much NOT considered such a staple of modern civilisation.

The two cannot be reasonably compared.

The vast majority of people that own guns do not use them to kill people; that is a fact.

Statically, America has a low unlawful death count compared to just how many guns Americans own. If it were 'out of control' we'd have anarchy.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
Get out.

And also, you don't know what he had.. They haven't released it.

What you just said is a bit out of line.

in all of the news coverage ive seen, they have said that he had only two 9's and mucho clips.

Schecter

i agree it is silly to try to give them even close to the same weight, but its widely yet silently understood that the majority of redneck midwesterners just feel much safer having guns, in case the terrorists and/or democrats invade and try to take their jobs and make off with the womenfolk.

that however i feel is completely baseless. citizens baring arms do not necessarily lead to a crime like this. this guy could have run them over with a vehicle, made bombs, set fires, etc. would the death toll be less? probably. still its not relevant in preventing such weird and localised mass-killings.

Eclipso
The vast majority of people that own guns do not use them to kill people; that is a fact.

Statically, America has a low unlawful death count compared to just how many guns Americans own. If it were 'out of control' we'd have anarchy.

Yes but the europe example still stands.

ragesRemorse
why do you just assume he was some mega-lee harvy oswald marksman? he might have shot them point blank. messed

so did the columbine kids, and they had weapons with a higher level of accuracy.

chillmeistergen
Look, I understand how much you value human life, and so do I, more than anything else, I might add. But tell me, how am I vengeful If I want an incorrigible, GUILTY murder to get what is still a lawful act of punishment (in certain states and countries, that is). I'm not a capitalist scumbag, I just think that criminals of the aforementioned kind deserve to die.

I'm glad you value human life.
Murderers may well deserve to die, but at the hands of the government? should they be able to deal out death? Or is that not the thing the murderer is being punished for?
I am aware it is legal in some countries and states, but lets face these are few and far between.
Yes the murderer maybe guilty, but, wouldn't the government, and their supporters also be guilty of murder, if, execution of murderers was allowed?

Ushgarak

Statically, America has a low unlawful death count compared to just how many guns Americans own. If it were 'out of control' we'd have anarchy as MANY America's are armed.

That's a false comparison. because in other countries it is far more difficult to legally own guns.

It's also massively sidestepping such an enormous problem. The US gun death rate is one thing only- shaming.

And only the US feels the need to make such a thing- which, as I say, is in NO way a fundamental right- something to be written into a damn Constitution, and so leave us in the ludicrous position where it does indeed sit next to such basic staples of human existence such as freedom of speech.

It's been a contemptible situation for a long time and will continue to be so. Fact is, this kind of thing is happening repeatedly in the US and the gun deaths out in the citiers every night mount up and up and up and it is very simply not happening anywhere else.

Be damned to your phony right. People are dying and the credibility of the US drops each and every time this happens.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>