Which is the better/faster processor for PC games: AMD or Intel?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
I'm getting ready to upgrade my prosessor but which is better: AMD or Intel...And which is the top qualifying model under either one.

Anyone?

S_W_LeGenD
Intel Core2 Duo processor series rocks! go for it.

And currently Intel Core2 Extreme (QX6700) processor is the fastest processor available for desktop computers.

And the fastest AMD processor available is A64 X2 6000+

doan_m
The QX 6700 at the moment is not the best buy out there. Some of the older Core 2 models outperform the QX 6700 in some aspects. But again to be fair there are not that many models out there that will code for quad core and dual core programming has yet to fully emerge.

The Core 2 duo process is like what S_W legend pointed out, is the fastest desktop processor out there. To add on to that it consumes less power then other dual core AMD processors and it cost a helluva lot less too. So go for Core 2 duo.

LinixCobra
I would go with AMD X2 processor. They are way better in gaming compared to INTEL.

FistOfThe North
What the difference between the Dual and Quad Intel Core processors. Is one better than the other for gaming or what..

doan_m
Originally posted by LinixCobra
I would go with AMD X2 processor. They are way better in gaming compared to INTEL.

They WERE. But now the Core 2 duo processors outperform them in gaming in that sense. Hopefully AMD's quad core will change that.

doan_m
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
What the difference between the Dual and Quad Intel Core processors. Is one better than the other for gaming or what..

The difference between a dual core processor and a quad core is that one is basically two processors in one and the other is four processors in one. On the surface one would think that the quad core is better, but just for the time being... not exactly true. It also depends on the program. Some programs and games are not coded to work with a quad quad core just yet, thus not allowing the full potential of a processor to be realized. Hell games and programs are only beginning to be coded to work with dual core.

LinixCobra
Originally posted by doan_m
They WERE. But now the Core 2 duo processors outperform them in gaming in that sense. Hopefully AMD's quad core will change that.

Thats true because recently I read an article that compared Dual Core vs AMDX2 and AMD came out on top but now I would say Intel has cuaght up. Its a tough choice and it all comes down to what you can afford.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by doan_m
The difference between a dual core processor and a quad core is that one is basically two processors in one and the other is four processors in one. On the surface one would think that the quad core is better, but just for the time being... not exactly true. It also depends on the program. Some programs and games are not coded to work with a quad quad core just yet, thus not allowing the full potential of a processor to be realized. Hell games and programs are only beginning to be coded to work with dual core.

So does that mean that the Dual Core (extreme) is the best PC gaming processor out there right now?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.