the elephant six collective

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

manorastroman
for discussion on apples in stereo, olivia tremor control, and neutral milk hotel.

annnnnnd all the associated acts and side projects (a hawk and a hacksaw, chocolate usa, ladybug transistor, of montreal, sunshine fix etc.)

personally, i think they're responsible for some of the finest albums in the last fifteen years, namely:

fun trick noisemaker
in the aeroplane over the sea
dusk at the cubist castle
the albemarle sound

andonandonandon.

EPIIIBITES
olivia tremor rule...one of those bands that made me rush to the record store guy and ask "what IS that?"

manorastroman
too bad they split up into the inferior projects circulatory system and sunshine fix...though i do really like the first sunshine fix ep, as well as their debut. green imagination sucked, though.

Morgoths_Wrath
I love Neutral Milk Hotel and Of Montreal

Solo
How did I almost miss this thread? I'm not too much of an Apples in Stereo fan, but the rest I love.

manorastroman
"the rest" is kind of a huge statement. including satellite bands, the elephant six family is (off the top of my head):

OTC
NMH
AiS
elf power
circulatory system
sunshine fix
chocolate USA
marshmallow coast
a hawk and a hacksaw
essex green
of montreal
BP Helium
ladybug transistor
beulah
ulysses
great lakes...

and alot more on top of that. mind boggling.

i've heard rumors almost every year that jeff mangum is coming out of retirement with a magnum opus in hand...perhaps this year is the year.

Solo
"The rest" may have been an exaggeration, sure. The Gerbils are pretty great too.

Solo
I just bought Hissing Fauna... which is one of the few album purchases I've made in a long time. Yeah, I'm pretty proud of myself.

manorastroman
i never liked of montreal until i got into a low-speed winter car crash whilst hearing "let's pretend we don't exist...let's pretend we're in antarctica!" it was too picturesque to ignore.

MildPossession
Is Apples in the Stereo the band that has signed onto the new label run by Elijah Woods? sure I read something like that.

I do rather enjoy Neutral Milk Hotel.

Solo
Originally posted by manorastroman
i never liked of montreal until i got into a low-speed winter car crash whilst hearing "let's pretend we don't exist...let's pretend we're in antarctica!" it was too picturesque to ignore.
haha! that may be the line that got me too. You honestly got into a crash, though?
Originally posted by MildPossession
Is Apples in the Stereo the band that has signed onto the new label run by Elijah Woods? sure I read something like that.
Yeah

manorastroman
very serious. it was gorgeous, those chords to a car accident.

apples in stereo signed to elijah's label simian. simian seems to have fairly good bands, but wood comes of like a megadeuche in interviews...not sure how well the label's actually going to do.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.