Would Jesus Discriminate?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Adam_PoE

Alliance
Jesus would if he held the 1st Century CE Jewish world view.

FeceMan
*Yawns.*

More of this? It's kind of...stale at this point.

FeceMan
Also, I'd like to point out that people who are against gay marriage aren't twisting Scripture and ignoring parts of it like those who were pro-slavery, against interracial marriages, etc.

Goddess Kali
This is truly an eye opener

inimalist
Originally posted by FeceMan
Also, I'd like to point out that people who are against gay marriage aren't twisting Scripture and ignoring parts of it like those who were pro-slavery, against interracial marriages, etc.

Agreed

however, I'd like to say that you can probably justify ANYTHING with selective quotes from scripture

Alliance

Thats what your kind will say about homosexuality 100 years from now.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Alliance
Thats what your kind will say about homosexuality 100 years from now.
El oh el. My kind?

That makes me say "DIAF."

Alliance
A simple history lesson shows you how those types of things work.

FeceMan
Please. I already know how it's going to be.

The entire point is...

a) it shouldn't be like that, and
b) I'm neutral on the issue of same-sex marriage.

Alliance
I know (b) alreadym but issues like interracial marriage and slavery are jsut as Biblically justified as anti-homosexual views.

Perceptions change with time and interpretations change with time. Some people think that the Bible is more explicit about homosexuality than other past social issues, which simply, it is not.

FeceMan
I know (b) alreadym but issues like interracial marriage and slavery are jsut as Biblically justified as anti-homosexual views.

Perceptions change with time and interpretations change with time. Some people think that the Bible is more explicit about homosexuality than other past social issues, which simply, it is not.
No, they aren't justified. That's just it--one cannot support those views when using the whole Bible.

Alliance
Why?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Adam_PoE

YES. He was a Jewish bigot.

FeceMan
Because they just aren't. I guarantee that 95% of the support comes from stuff in Leviticus and Deuteronomy that has to deal with ritual cleanliness. As for slavery, slavery is neither condoned nor condemned in the Bible. All the Bible says is, "If you own slaves, treat them like this." ("This" would be not how slaveowners treated blacks.)

Alliance
Yea, and slavery exists/ed elsewhere too. It doesn't say slavery is wrong...it says slaves should be foriegn and treated "humanely," so to speak.

Thats a long way form condemning slavery.

FeceMan
Yes, it is. I, however, don't believe slavery is intrinsically wrong.

Nellinator
Yes, it is. I, however, don't believe slavery is intrinsically wrong. As right as you are, you will get bashed for this.

Second, I have yet to see what they used to justify being against interracial marriage and I haven't seen anything that can be pulled out of context to support it either...

Shakyamunison
Yes, it is. I, however, don't believe slavery is intrinsically wrong.

eek! You don't believe that slavery is wrong? To take away a person's right to freedom, even if they are treated good, is wrong.

Nellinator
That would be misconceptions about traditional and lawful Jewish slavery where they are much more like a serf than the traditional view of a slave. Also, the right of freedom argument can easily be brushed aside if one does not believe in human rights.

Strangelove
w00t Go Indiana

Nellinator
Another thing to mention is that those billboards are twisting and ignoring text to make homosexuality look morally acceptable which is something that didn't happen in slavery and interracial marriage debates. The best argument for homosexuality is arguing the possibility that there is nothing against it, not this crap.

Also, the way that guy spoke in the video was overly dramatic and he was trying to hard to get sympathy and trying to appeal to too many people.

ADarksideJedi
Jesus loves everyone no matter if they are gay or not.So no I don't think he does.jm

Alliance
Slavery was somethine accepted, that was trying to be made unacceptable.

Homosexuality is more similar to interracial marriage as in people tried to stop it from happening.

And no, there weren't moral billbords in the 1830s or in the 1910s...Originally posted by Nellinator
As right as you are, you will get bashed for this.

Second, I have yet to see what they used to justify being against interracial marriage and I haven't seen anything that can be pulled out of context to support it either...

Slavery IS intrinsically wrong, even if benevolent.

And sorry, I'm not an expert on early 1900s fundamentalism...maybe our friend William Jennings Bryan has something to say on the matter.

Nellinator
It depends on the reason for enslavement. POWs were frequently used and I think it was a great idea, much better most other feasible options. Besides that, Jewish law states that mistreated slaves are freed from their debt and my leave a free person. They did not need anyone's approval but their own.

Alliance
Nah, this is not 200 BCE. Even the Roman Empire was NOT dependant on slavery.

Slavery was NEVER essential or morally justified, even in history.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
eek! You don't believe that slavery is wrong? To take away a person's right to freedom, even if they are treated good, is wrong.
Take their freedom or their life, you choose.

EDIT:

Really, the question at this point isn't "Would Jesus discriminate?"

It's "Would Jesus pwn Jews?"

(Yes. And then he'd take down Urizen just because.)

Nellinator
Nah, this is not 200 BCE. Even the Roman Empire was NOT dependant on slavery.

Slavery was NEVER essential or morally justified, even in history. Not dependant true, well it actually is arguable how successful they would have been without, but that is beside the point, really slavery in those times didn't need to be morally justified as they were simply POWs in the Jews case. Besides that they were supposed to be treated well and they weren't really slaves considering the rights they had under Judaic law. On top of that, I've haven't any evidence that the Jews had slaves since the 6th century BC. Albeit I haven't looked very hard...

Goddess Kali
Even if the empire was dependent on Slavery, that still wouldn't justify it.

FeceMan
Would Jesus incriminate?

I still say that slavery isn't intrinsically wrong.

Goddess Kali
Would Jesus incriminate?

I still say that slavery isn't intrinsically wrong.

To own another person is immoral. To force another person to do your labor and not pay them is even more immoral.

I am surprised at you Feceman, I assumed you far more logical than that.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
To own another person is immoral. To force another person to do your labor and not pay them is even more immoral.

I am surprised at you Feceman, I assumed you far more logical than that.
When the person has a choice between death or slavery, slavery is a merciful option.

Goddess Kali
When the person has a choice between death or slavery, slavery is a merciful option.

1) is it always? Ever hear of "Give me Liberty or Give me Death" ?

2) I cannot beleive you are defending slavery. How do you think one human has the right to dictate another ? What the f**k?

FeceMan
The person has the freedom to choose death over slavery. I defend slavery because I belive that slavery is not morally wrong in and of itself. I believe that the treatment of slaves and method of procuring them can be wrong, however.

Nellinator

I am surprised at you Feceman, I assumed you far more logical than that. By that definition, the Jews never had slaves.

Goddess Kali
The person has the freedom to choose death over slavery. I defend slavery because I belive that slavery is not morally wrong in and of itself. I believe that the treatment of slaves and method of procuring them can be wrong, however.

It is wrong to make someone do your labor without pay. Do your own damn labor...

It is wrong to own another person as property.

How do you not see that ?

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by Nellinator
By that definition, the Jews never had slaves.

Are you speaking of Indentured Servants or actual Slaves ?

A slave is a person who is another's property.

Nellinator
Under Jewish law and tradition slaves had rights and could make money. They were allowed many freedoms. Also, they did not do the work of their master, they worked with their master who owned rights to their labour not their person. Slaves were free people allowed only to work for their "owner" as a result of whatever reason they were acquired for.

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by Nellinator
Under Jewish law and tradition slaves had rights and could make money. They were allowed many freedoms. Also, they did not do the work of their master, they worked with their master who owned rights to their labour not their person. Slaves were free people allowed only to work for their "owner" as a result of whatever reason they were acquired for.

Then they were not actual slaves

FeceMan
It is wrong to make someone do your labor without pay. Do your own damn labor...

It is wrong to own another person as property.

How do you not see that ?
Justify it.

How the hell do you think I feel when I'm harassed about any of my views regarding moral absolutes? I don't get the gorramn luxury of saying necrophilia, bestiality, and incest are morally wrong because they just are. No, sir, I have to stretch my imagination and justify shit by talking about how animals don't have a will and other crap.

Goddess Kali
Justify it.

How the hell do you think I feel when I'm harassed about any of my views regarding moral absolutes? I don't get the gorramn luxury of saying necrophilia, bestiality, and incest are morally wrong because they just are. No, sir, I have to stretch my imagination and justify shit by talking about how animals don't have a will and other crap.

Who harasses you ?

I've noticed you've been really defensive for the past few weeks, as if you were being cornered. Are people bothering you about your religion in real life ?

FeceMan
Who harasses you ?

I've noticed you've been really defensive for the past few weeks, as if you were being cornered. Are people bothering you about your religion in real life ?
No, not that it's any of your business. Maybe I need to get ass****ed to loosen me up.

Goddess Kali
Maybe I need to get ass****ed to loosen me up.

You found the perfect solution thumb up

Alliance
no

Goddess Kali
Alliance, you too

You should get a nice fat c*ck up your ass, it will definately help loosen you up, Trust me wink

FeceMan
*Sighs.*

Alliance
Alliance, you too

You should get a nice fat c*ck up your ass, it will definately help loosen you up, Trust me wink

Goddess Kali
Alright I give up...I guess what works for me, won't always work for you

laughing

Alliance
yes

Naz
No.
Proof - Accepted Jews and Gentiles- the group of people most looked down apon and discriminated by the Jews.
The End.

FeceMan
Ghey butseks plz.

Goddess Kali
You'll never get ne

FeceMan
You'll never get ne
I am offended by the implication that I couldn't pick up a guy if I wanted to.

Goddess Kali
I somehow doubt it....but then again, i dont know how u look so i duno

FeceMan
Well, I guess I look pretty young. So I could find a guy into underage guys and work that angle.

inimalist
join NAMBLA

or be a cadamite... hahahahaha, I'm so witty.

Devil King
Justify it.

I can't help but thinking that all of your common sense arguments and critical thinking has been for not after you say something like this. You shouldn't have to try to reach your conclusions because it's more politically correct. And I don't think you have. I'm just saying it's a bit of a step backwards when you say something like this. Not that you owe anyone an explaination of your faith, but you have offered them. And, as far as I'm concerned you're one of my favorite christians. So don't get baited into taking a step backwards.

FeceMan
Would Jesus delineate?

Shakyamunison
Would Jesus delineate?

Would you delineate?

FeceMan
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Would you delineate?
Would Jesus allocate?

Shakyamunison
Would Jesus allocate?

He did while he was alive.

Adam_PoE

Goddess Kali
Jesus would not discriminate.

He would love you whether you were Gay, Straight, Black, White, or Female. He never himself made a statement on Homosexuality.

A Loving and Wise person like Jesus would not condemn you to Hell because you had sex with a person of your same gender.

Shakyamunison
Jesus would not discriminate.

He would love you whether you were Gay, Straight, Black, White, or Female. He never himself made a statement on Homosexuality.

A Loving and Wise person like Jesus would not condemn you to Hell because you had sex with a person of your same gender.

Unless you where a gentile. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.