The Ten Commands your views!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ADarksideJedi
Reading a good book called "How to talk to liberals if you must" forget writters name.There was a short story in there about a teacher having a kid throw away a bible becaues of the ten commands being hate crimes!
Do you think it is?I say it is in the bible and that there is no hate crimes in there at all that I had noted or read.What do you guys think of this?(If anyone insults or flames me they will be ignore)jm cool

Shakyamunison
Ann Coulter is the writer. Can you give some details?

I don't think I would believe the story 100%. Ann Coulter is an extremist, and has a history of distorting the facts.

inimalist
So, I don't know how many Canadians will read this, but if anyone knows Peter Mansbridge, he is our #1 newscaster and he has this show called Mansbridge 1 on 1.

So, one of the episodes is him interviewing Anne Coulter. During this interview Coulter says something like "Canada has always supported American wars, look at Vietnam"

Now, as a brief history lesson, Canada was very much opposed to Vietnam, and we gave asylum to people fleeing to Canada in order to avoid the draft into the war.

So, this is probably the image that always comes to my mind when I think of her. Some dumb b*tch who has the gall to sit in front of probably the most trusted man in Canada and say "oh no, Canada was in Vietnam, you are wrong".

Then there is the fact that she recently called one of the democratic candidates for president a f-a-g (which got a huge applause where she was speaking).

Honestly, I wouldn't trust a word that comes out of her mouth, especially little anecdotes. The entire right wing of American politics is anti-intellectual, so it doesn't surprise me that she would take shots like that at teachers.

EDIT: Man, the auto-censor feature is dumb

lil bitchiness
Wait. How are 10 commandments hate crimes?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

I don't think that the ten commandments are hate crimes.

lord xyz
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I say it is in the bible and that there is no hate crimes in there at all no expression

As for the title, I say the ten commandments are out of date and useless and stupid.

Thou Shalt Not Lie? How many Christians have broken that rule? Bare in mind:

Sex, History, Rights, Santa, Science, and the Bible itself.

Nellinator
You are being stupid.

On topic:
The 10 Commandments are a far cry from any hate crimes. They don't discriminate unless one thinks "no other gods before me" is the source of claim, in which there is a slight case, but not really.

FeceMan
Jackie reads?

lord xyz
Originally posted by Nellinator
You are being stupid.

On topic:
The 10 Commandments are a far cry from any hate crimes. They don't discriminate unless one thinks "no other gods before me" is the source of claim, in which there is a slight case, but not really. Who me?

Nellinator
Yes.
The commandments are not outdated, the last six are common sense, the first four aren't applicable if you don't believe.

lord xyz
Yes.
The commandments are not outdated, the last six are common sense, the first four aren't applicable if you don't believe. Do you follow them? Like number 9 in particular?

Nellinator
I try my best.

Shakyamunison
Yes.
The commandments are not outdated, the last six are common sense, the first four aren't applicable if you don't believe.

You can't pick and choose. eek! The ten commandments are not current law. In that way, they are out dated. We have laws that parallel the ten commandments, but they are not the same.

Nellinator
They don't have to be law for you to follow them. They were actually never apart of the Judaic law, they are seperate.

lord xyz
I try my best. So no then. You're defending them yet you don't follow them?

Nellinator
You are being stupid again. Following them and slipping up occassionally is different than not following them. And 9 is one that I can not recall ever committing.

lord xyz
You are being stupid again. Following them and slipping up occassionally is different than not following them. And 9 is one that I can not recall ever committing. So telling pople about Santa is slipping up?

Devil King
Originally posted by lord xyz
So telling pople about Santa is slipping up?

What happened to Santa? sad

Goddess Kali
Ann Cunter ?

debbiejo
Not a hate crime. I think god just wants a "Thank You.".......lol......though some take this a bit far as meaning don't put anything before god, even your TV, your mind, your books, your church, your family, kids......etc.

Don't be mean to god that helped you....not a hate crime.

Well god shouldn't be worried about a false god if he's the only god. This is jealousy and a human flaw.

Now there's even more rules. God needs a special day? BTW people don't keep this day.

This is a good rule, but what if your parents aren't normal..

Kill is different from murder. Though in the OT it was an eye for an eye. It was ok to murder for the right reason it seems.

Everybody had a biz zillion wives and concubines. Sooo what does this really mean.

I agree with this. But is it a sin to borrow and pay back without ones permission?

This one is excellent!

This is pretty good too. Envy leads to worse things not yet seen.

Some historians believe that the Ten Commandments originated from ancient Egyptian religion, and postulate that the Biblical Jews borrowed the concept after their Exodus from Egypt. Chapter 125 of the Book of the Dead (the Papyrus of Ani) includes a list of things to which a man must swear in order to enter the afterlife. These sworn statements bear a remarkable resemblance to the Ten Commandments in their nature and their phrasing. These statements include "not have I defiled the wife of man," "not have I committed murder," "not have I committed theft," "not have I lied," "not have I cursed god," "not have I borne false witness," and "not have I abandoned my parents." The Book of the Dead has additional requirements, and, of course, doesn't require worship of YHWH.

lord xyz
I thought 2 was not worship Idols and 3 was not to sware.

Willaume
Kill is different from murder. Though in the OT it was an eye for an eye. It was ok to murder for the right reason it seems.

Theologians have long contested this. Many claim that the original Hebrew could be translated as "Thou shalt not kill" or as "Thou shalt not murder," and often substitute the later in modern translations. This makes sense, seeing as even the ancients saw that it would be a crime to kill a man in cold-blood, but self-defense was often permissible.

Alliance
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

Because Ann Coulter would like to make up any reason she can for bashing liberals.

Nellinator
So telling pople about Santa is slipping up? Well, since I never did and no theology supports the existence of Santa... no it's not applicable. Also, a fairy tale does not count as a lie if it presented as one. Letting a kid believe in Santa is not lying to them.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Alliance
Because Ann Coulter would like to make up any reason she can for bashing liberals.
Is her story accurate or is her story not accurate?

Alliance
Does it matter? Its Ann Coulter.

FeceMan
Does it matter? Its Ann Coulter.
Yes, it does. Whether or not she's an evil shrew is of little importance.

Alliance
I'd like to think her being an evil shrew is of importance.

Considering her comments about other things, I'd say its porbably more shock value than fact.

FeceMan
Same. But, she might be right anyhow.

Goddess Kali
Ann Cunter called John Edwards a f*ggot....I do not like what she said, but I sorta agree with her. He has to be Gay. He's too good looking for a politician.

debbiejo
Go back to the head of the class. I've already set it straight... smart

ADarksideJedi
You are being stupid.

On topic:
The 10 Commandments are a far cry from any hate crimes. They don't discriminate unless one thinks "no other gods before me" is the source of claim, in which there is a slight case, but not really.

I do know my facts you read the book and see for yourself!Anywho why is having no Gods before me a issue with you?jm confused

Nellinator
Not you, I was talking to lord xyz.

ADarksideJedi
I know it was not me I was talking to the first poster who told me the writter of the book "How to talk to Liberals if you must"Sorry about the confussion!jm

Badabing
Considering her comments about other things, I'd say its probably more shock value than fact. Very good point, shock value. Both sides do it and the press makes money off of it. It would be refreshing to see and hear people actually talk about problems instead of making bombastic statements.

I like the Commandments. Take a day off during the week, respect your parents, don't kill, don't covet, don't steal, don't bear false witness, etc. Makes sense to me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.