Thoughts On Pius XII's Address....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Willaume
Since I've done a few searches on this site and I haven't found any threads bearing specifically on the following topic, I've decided to post it here in order to (hopefully) provoke some thoughtful discourse.

Thoughts On Pius XII's Address to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences

On 22 November, in 1951, Pope Pius the XII (A.D. 1876-1958) gave a highly spirited address to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences )located in the Vatican Gardens) regarding the (then) recently developed "Big-Bang Theory."

Now, as some may have been able to discover, I am neither a religious person nor a deeply spiritual one, but I am not willing to deny the existence of something out there, be it an omnipotent and omniscient being, or something more akin to our own species. That being said, I am a very scientifically-minded person, and happen to agree (mostly) with the contents of such theories as the "Big-Bang Theory" and Darwin's "Theory of Evolution."

I've recently undergone a bit of a spiritual awakening, and as such, I have become very interested in religious and spiritual literature, spanning from such extremes as actual scripture to the more humane works of theologians. And so, when the opportunity arose, I acquired a copy of a book entited The Bible As History, written by a German journalist named Werner Keller, which tries to historically explain many of the passages of both the Old and New Testaments. One of Mr. Keller's crowning achievements throughout the book is his ability to make one believe in the history, and practically forget the spiritual context that the passages are in.

In the book, Mr. Keller provides many plausible explanations for Biblical occurences. He describes the patriarchial age, and how its version of history has apparently been validified within the past century due to archaeological discoveries. He describes the reasons why the Biblical plagues may have occured naturally, as they do today. He explains that the mysterious manna that the Hebraeic exiles eat is no miracle of God, but a natural occurence that Bedouins still make use of today. He describes the theory that the "star" that the Magi saw was most likely a confluence of the two planets Jupiter and Saturn, (I believe).

Yet out of all the material given in the book, the most striking of all is an excerpt of an address made by Pope Pius the XII to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences in 1951. In his address, Pius the XII speaks of what may be considered a very broad subject: The "Big-Bang Theory" and its congruence with the Biblical "Book of Genesis."

After reading the excerpt, I was utterly amazed: I had never before heard a Catholic agree (in any degree) with the theory, least of all a Pontifex Maximus. It is still heavily religious and Catholic-biased, however.

Perhaps, in the past, I have just not realized that there could be broad-minded folk amidst the clergy, (although I realize how foolish that is a thing to say), and others will have either heard of this address or know people who would agree with Pius the XII. I'm interested to hear what others have to say on the subject.

The full text can be read here.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Willaume
The Bible As History At one point this was my second Bible. Hehe, in fact I have it beside my computer as I read this. I think this is interesting considering that the Pope is considered infallible in matters of doctrine and faith by Catholic theology. As usual for an address from the pontificate, it is well thought out, ultimately I think is right in the idea that we should not ignore what science says.

Mindship
IMO, this is an ontological/empirical argument, and such arguments do not prove the existence of an entity which (by common definition) transcends the world of mind and matter. They may hint at possibilities, but hinting is not proving.

Ultimately, "God," if "He" exists, is an ineffable experience, not a presentation.

debbiejo
What kind of thing are you? confused

Willaume
Originally posted by Mindship
IMO, this is an ontological/empirical argument, and such arguments do not prove the existence of an entity which (by common definition) transcends the world of mind and matter. They may hint at possibilities, but hinting is not proving.

Ultimately, "God," if "He" exists, is an ineffable experience, not a presentation.

That's an interesting and thought provocing statement. smile

Originally posted by debbiejo
What kind of thing are you? confused

I'm clearly Aku, the shape-shifting master of evil. stick out tongue

Symmetric Chaos

nuts

Now where did I put that magic sword?

Mindship
Eh, now and then I get lucky. wink

lil bitchiness

Samurai Jack!! eek!

I don't have much thoughts on Pope in general. Its good that he advocates that he is ''scientifically minded''. Great!
All high religious figures are a bit shady (dodgy in english english) as far as I'm concerned. Especially, when they're talking about science.

Alliance
However, the Vatican hasn't really maintained that scientific mindedness.

I find these science-religion synergystic efforts to be a waste of time, historically and in the present day. They fail to address both religion and science.

Willaume
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Samurai Jack!! eek!

I don't have much thoughts on Pope in general. Its good that he advocates that he is ''scientifically minded''. Great!
All high religious figures are a bit shady (dodgy in english english) as far as I'm concerned. Especially, when they're talking about science.

I'm saddened to say that I agree. The leadership of an entire faith should not rest upon the shoulders of nor be controlled (essentially) by one man - unless it be the Christ, upon whom the faith was founded.

Originally posted by Alliance
However, the Vatican hasn't really maintained that scientific mindedness.

I find these science-religion synergystic efforts to be a waste of time, historically and in the present day. They fail to address both religion and science.

I usually agree. I'd lean against your opinion in this case, however.
I have to admit, however, that although Pius appears quite ready to accept the "Big-Bang Theory" in his address, elsewhere it was made clear that he was a great opponent of science when it seemed to contradict the Bible, (as most Catholics/Christians in general act).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.