Vaders Suggestion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

finti
Why did the Emperor agree to Vaders suggestion off trying to turn Luke to the dark side. This must go against the "principals" of the siths.
(Always two there are, no more no less)

Corran
I think he was wanting Luke to replace Vader.

finti
them being father and son might be a danger towards the emp himself

Corran
Which it evidently was in the end, maybe the Emperor thought the allure of the dark side would over-power any emotional links. Vader had many years of being Obi-Wan's padawan so was not molded exactly how the emporer may have wanted him, the Emporer could have taken Luke with his little training and used that to mold him how he wished, even using the destruction of his friends and eventually his own father to fuel his turn to the darkside.

finti
Still they would make a huge treath towards himself.

yerssot
yup, agree with Corran...
wasn't this in a thread a few months ago?

Vader wanting that so they could rule the galaxy as father and son
and the emperor wanted Luke 'cause he was "the rising star" of the dark side and Vader was too much machine to qualify as The Chosen One

Ushgarak
No, I agree with Finti's basic point- the two of them out and out AGREEING to take on Luke seems absolutely ludicrous with the 'only two' rule. That they would actually want Luke for their own agendas fore the reasons you describe above is, of course, a given- but the two of them TALKING about it, knowing that one would have to bump off the other?

I used to think the rule of two had been dropped by the OT now the Jedi were gone, but GL's comments suggest otherwise so I leave this one rather fuzzy.

BTW, too much machine to be the Chosen One? WHy is that a problem?

finti
huh?

yerssot
well, The Chosen One is Anakin, Vader isn't Anakin
Anakin = light side
vader = dark side

could be Palpa wanted to stop the prophecy of ever happening? Kick Vader while he had the chance

Ushgarak
Vader IS the Chosen One, yerss, no matter which side of the Force he is on or how ever much you want to play into the split personality thing. The good person who is Anakin may no longer exist but he is still the same being and that being is the Chosen One.

finti
more or less what Ush summed up there Yersie boy.

yerssot
It's DOCTOR Yerssot for you.
I didn't spend six years in wacko school to be called boy, thank you very much

finti
By the novelisation we know Vader had plans to overthrow the emperor, even thoug it is euish it is a thing the emperor must fear

yerssot
the novel is NOT eu

finti
yes it is, it claims Owen to be Obi wans brother which he aint.

yerssot
all things said in the novel are canon, except from the things that contradict the movie directly

Ushgarak
Time I reminded everyone again that, right or wrong, the novel isn't EU as it is not an orignal story, like EU has to be. All EU is non-canon but not all non-canon is EU.

Anyway, the novels live in that rather fuzzy 'semi-canon' area.

finti
which cant be taken as gospel

yerssot
by only you

master harmax
I doubt GL had thought of the only 2 sith lords idea at the time of ESB ... he only came up with that at the time of the PT ... therefore at the time of making ESB, the question of how there could be a third sith did not arise.

yerssot
not sure... if he didn't came up with that rule, why would they still be with two at that time?

master harmax
That was just the way the story had turned out at the time ... Darth Vader was the Lord of the Sith and the Emperor was his master. I doubt it was because he had specifically thought of the rule of only two sith lords at that time 20 years back.

finti
I think he had a lot of things clear even during ep V, but I see what you are saying Harmax and I think in the same way too. But for the sake of the arguement we say GL knew then his sith plot

Ushgarak
I agree, Harmax, but GL keeps talking as if there is no discrepency there. And there is!

Mujaffa
This is why:

UnknownBountyHunter
This isn't correct. Steve (the director of Star Wars distribution, merchandising, and head honcho of literature and the EU) from www.starwars.com has confirmed numerous books as being canon with the motion pictures.

On the website they never gave a specific list nor have I gotten ahold of any sources that list the canon novels but from what I've heard, there are quite a few.

finti
Well SW is originally movies, what we learn there is for me cannon.
People who watch SW should get the thread of the story through the films, not books that came out as an extra

yerssot
No, they thought about making books that didn't contradict the movies canon.
Did not happen

Dark Lord Djas
My idea of why the Emperor agreed with vader is that he foresaw Luke fighting Vader. And Vader had the idea that him and his son could together kill the Emperor.

Ushgarak
It;s the way they seemed to agree with each other that it was a good idea that was odd.

mechmoggy
This can get really out of hand you know, kinda like the Bible being mis-interpreted and there being Holy Wars start as a consequence of it.

I think we can all just agree that the movies are great, even if there are some contradictions in thier content. big grin

Ushgarak
Mech is a heretic! Burn him!

mechmoggy
Errrrrrrr look at that kid over there wearing a Jar Jar t-shirt *points*

*Runs away as the mob turns to the much more serious threat*

Ushgarak
Is it I love Jar-Jar or I hate Jar-Jar? Either way, half the crowd is off to lynch him.

mechmoggy
It was an "I love Jar Jar", which means approx. 99.9% of the crowd should be off to sacrifice him.

finti
Jar Jar got annoying, almost as bad as Jack Lloyd

mechmoggy
Indeed, I'd love to give Jack Lloyd a good open handed slap round the face. mad

finti
why not a fist

Darth Ninja
Back to the original topic. Darth Vader and Darth Sidious could've turned Luke to the Dark Side and trained him as a Dark Jedi (since the two Sith positions were are occupied). I think Sidious was smart enough to realize that he would be better off keeping both Vader and Luke. He would just have to show them both that he's still Sith master.

finti
hmm and with two darkies under your command a battle for power would be much much bigger, especially with a father and son connection

Ushgarak
But as Vader and Palpatine both really WERE planning to bump the other off in favour of Luke... that conversation in ESB still seems odd...

Darth Ninja
Well, obviously Darth Vader wanted to become the Sith master with Luke's help. As for Darth Sidious, it's hard to say, except he wanted to stay the Sith master.

Ushgarak
ROTJ and GL's comments make it clear he was planning to kill Vader.

finti
replace him with a younger more agile Sith Aprentice, gonna be hard to top Vaders evilness though. But Vader obvious had plans for himself, he knew that if Luke got turned he would be out.

Darth Ninja
Darth Sidious was afraid of Darth Vader also. Since, Vader was getting ever more powerful. Sidious would've been foolish to ignore the threat Vader posed at dethroning him.

mechmoggy
Maybe they were both playing the old "...but keep your enemies closer" routine.

finti
well the emp took a chance depending on Vader to block Lukes blow towards him

Darth Ninja
It would've been funny (and anti-climatic) if Darth Vader let Luke cut Darth Sidious down in the throne. laughing out loud

mechmoggy
laughing out loud

As Luke cuts Palpy in half, Darth turns and looks at the event, "Oops!".

Alphamale
Anakin/Vader is the chosen one, he does fulfill the prophecy by "bringing" balance to the force, when he throws the emperor into the shaft killing end thus ending the "dark" side of the force!

I also agree that the Emperor had plans for Luke to kill , Vader and take his place, because he was younger/stonger!

finti
how can it be balance if there aint no darkside to oppose the "Light" side

Alphamale
The good side is the only right 0r needed side?? In the beginning their was only the good, it took a rebel jedi to leave and start the dark side.That is my opinion.

I am following with what the story/GL(you know , the guy who wrote the movies) says... "the one who brings balance to the force.. if that is not what Darth/Anakin does by killing Sidious , then you "big guy" tell me what they are talking about!!!

who is the chosen one , then... since I'm wrong and in your words "aint no good " at this?

finti
I asked a question about a statement which I feel is a flaw in the SW story, didnt expect you to be able to answer it Alphamale.
The question is to be left open for debate, and stop trying to be this smarthmouth cool dude cause you gonna end up looking like a fool.

Alphamale
your the smart mouth fool, it was answered for you, just because you "dont get it" doesnt mean it was given to you!!

The word "balance" can mean "peace", like when a person has balance in their life... they are peaceful!

I say when yoda or whoever talks about bringing balance to the force, they are using like that, meaning bring peace to the force!!

finti
well here is two definitons of balance

An influence or force tending to produce equilibrium counterpoise.
The difference in magnitude between opposing forces or influences.

I see what you are saying Alphamale and if you feel that is enough for you fine, for me though it aint.

Alphamale
Great! So in your mind , how does the one who brings balance to the force ,do it? And who is it? or are you totally lost and you just dont know at all?

finti
well Anakin is probably the one the prophecy is about, to bring balance to the force. what I am saying is that I think they used a wrong phrase by using the word balance. Cause balance is all about equality.

The only one lost here seems to be you Alphamale, you seem to be unable to grasp the context of what others say. You only see your view on things, try to have a view without blinders.

Ushgarak
Do remember it's not as if they are destroying evil itself by destroying the Sith. They are preventing the unbalance of the Force by the Dark Side, which the Dark Side does by its very nature.

It is a bit over-literal to say there can only be balance if the Dark Side is around to actively oppose things.

finti
balance is still about equality so I think it was a badf choise to say bring balance to the force. No one knows excactly what is ment by it so..........

GordonSkywalker
First things first: It's Jake Lloyd,not Jack Lloyd. And I think he was one of the best elements in The Phantom Menace.

finti
Jake Lloyd was awful

GordonSkywalker
He was not. Come on,give the boy a break! It was only his second acting job(remember Jingle All the Way?),and besides,it was a hard role to play! Vader as a boy! I think he did rather well,given the circumstances. Just as I was willing to give his "successor",Hayden Christensen a chance when Attack of the Clones came out.Sure their styles are different,but they were playing the same character a full ten years apart!

finti
he sucked, he was more annoying than Jar Jar

Alphamale
Wow, its a miracle! Finti and I agree on 2 things! He did suck!

GordonSkywalker
"The ability to agree is nothing when compared to the power of the Force."

Alphamale
Uh...errr... yeah rightr,Gordon! Oh by the way you know it was a "MOVIE", right? A movie not reality! So dont go looking for a light sabre on ebay just yet!

Corran
roll eyes (sarcastic)

GordonSkywalker
Why do you ask, Alphamale? Do you suffer from these delusions yourself? We are all fans of "Star Wars", are we not? And I am sure we are all allowed our differences of opinion on this forum, are we not?
If not, then I will bid you a good evening and vanish into the seven winds...

Alphamale
Hey Gordo, earth to Gordo! I think your brain has vanished into the 7 winds

GordonSkywalker
I do not think we should continue on this discussion,as you seem quite unable to conduct yourself in a manner befitting this forum.

finti
keep it to SW or it will be delete time

Member.
wierd druggies, u are.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.