Do OT fans watch the PT ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
Do you guys Like the PT ?? I cant stand it becouse its all CGI and the story is weak . I like the OT becouse its dark and the story is strong with comedy from Han solo 'laugh it up fuzz ball' big grin

So like me do you guys just watch the OT and forget about the rest ?

General G
I watch it all, but I think I stray more towards the PT, if Luke were better, I would probably go towards the OT, even with the droids and Grievous.

Tangible God
I've seen the OT so many times over the years. So, because I haven't done the same with the PT, I tend to turn on ROTS or AOTC more often than the OT. Not to mention, I have a thing for certain dramatic moments in the PT, plus all the pretty colours and clones.

Alliance
Originally posted by coolmovies
Do you guys Like the PT ?? I cant stand it becouse its all CGI and the story is weak .
What the f**k?

vintageSW77
with hands over my eyes

i watch parts of the PT when its on the movie channel but ive never put the dvds on since buying them apart from when we got the nice BIG hd tv and i wanted to see them on there
they sound and look amazing but its a shame about the actual movies
the ship carrying Qui Gon and Obi that gets blown away sounds ****ing amazing when it goes BOOM but apart from that no
its quite easy being an OT fan and distancing yourself from the PT
in a few years i reckon ill be PT free
itll be like a bad dream

Alliance
Yeah...ignroance is bliss.

vintageSW77
hmm

well after i get tired of the SW threads
i spose posting pics daily of a trilogy im trying hard to forget defeats the object
but people like them and thats something good out of the bad

more tonight

EPIIIBITES
I watch them all tons except for EP. III

I watch the OT because they have great stories, great characters and lotsa cool stuff in terms of action, adventure, and visuals.

I watch EP. I and EP. II ONLY because of "lotsa cool stuff in terms of action, adventure, and visuals."

I don't watch EP. III because it doesn't have anything of the above...(apart from the visuals I guess). Horrible film.

queeq
Yeah, I watch them. But I doubt I'll ever watch them as much as I have the OT.
My kids watch it, I watch along.

General G
And which do they prefer? OT or PT?

chewy16
It is very weird how each year I tend to watch the PT movies less and less, though I did enjoy each one when they came out in the theaters and on DVD.

It just comes down to that they really aren't great films, IMO, and it is just very hard to rewatch a movie a zillion times you don't love and don't think is a classic, and only cause it has the brand name SW on it and it is attached to the OT, makes me atleast give them a try every once in a while that any other movie series wouldn't be able to do for me.

The PT will always be part of the OT story now, so I don't think I will ever be able to just shove it off, but I truly love ANH & ESB because they are just purely great movies, plain & simple, and ROTJ always got a pass cause it wrapped up the greatest trilogy in movies. The PT is still a seperate entity that has its moments, but has definitely lost its luster on repeat viewings.

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
That's probably one of the best summations of the Star Wars saga I've ever heard...on and off these threads.
...and honestly, your post on this thread is one the best summations of the watchability between the PT and the OT I've ever heard.

You're good!!

vintageSW77
Originally posted by queeq
Yeah, I watch them. But I doubt I'll ever watch them as much as I have the OT.
My kids watch it, I watch along.

i may have missed you saying this in the past but do your kids pass on AOTC over the other two?
my nephews do
the youngest was 9 at the time of AOTC and at the cinema he saw through it all for what it was
smart little ****er

chewy16
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
...and honestly, your post on this thread is one the best summations of the watchability between the PT and the OT I've ever heard.

You're good!!

Thanks man, and I am not one of these so called 'bashers' or 'gushers' that I think have ruined any SW talk on all of the SW message boards.

I think the majority of the fans are in the middle towards the PT, they enjoy them on some level because they are more SW, yet they don't love them nearly as much as the OT movies.

I constantly hear fans on the internet rationalizing why the OT fan doesnt' love the PT, and it is simple, the OT is better on all levels, and that is just the nature of the sequels & prequels of ANY movie series, now take into account that you have new characters to care about, and that is where the split began.

Just think of Luke, Leia, and Han, they are the ultimate characters to care for in movies, how can anyone not love these characters? How can anyone now identify with one of them? Now look at the PT characters of Anakin, Kenobi, and Padme, they are inferior in everyway compared to Luke, Leia, and Han, in terms of loveablility, personality, and the overall arc they are given in the movies.

In fairness to Lucas, the PT was a no win for him from day one, and it could only tarnish the SW image, yet still bring in new fans. Look at most sequels, they are inferior and become stale. Think of Superman III & IV, Rocky IV & V, Back to the Future III, Jurassic Park III, I could go on and on, every movie franchise gets stale at one point, but because they were able to keep the same characters, you atleast have someone to root for. Think of how bad Rocky V is, but you still have Stallone to root for in the 2 hours, so the movie has some redeeming value.

If an OT fan cannot grasp onto the PT characters, what is the point? I loved AOTC back in '02 cause I loved to see the birth of the Empire, that was some cool stuff. But 5 years later, it was more a history lesson of how everyone got to where they were in Episode IV, and I really don't care now about the birth of the empire, even though it is interesting, there is no connection cause there are no characters to root for.

Characters, Characters, Characters, I think many fans and even Lucas forget how great Luke, Leia, and Han were to the success of the OT.

Count Makashi
I watch it and i am of the opinion the PT is an excellent movie, it can compare with the OT.

queeq
Originally posted by General G
And which do they prefer? OT or PT?

Dunno yet, the oldest is eight. But I did find one thing striking when we watched all of them in sequence. They enjoyed the PT (of course, cartoons are nice at that age) but after seeing ANH the oldest said that he found it a very exciting story. Now, he never said that about the others!!! I thought that was amazing but also very correct. I watched them getting sucked into this story, propelling them from the sands of Tatooine into space, having to escape the DS and saving a Princess and then trying to destroy the DS. The challenges were clear, it sucked them right into the stories. Frankly, I don't think they got a lot from the PT first time around.
The first time I watched TPM with my second son at age 5 or so (I had to read the subtitles to him) I found all that Senate debating stuff and taxation of trade routes so boring.. and I was wondering if he got any of it. He liked the pod race though.

exanda kane
Originally posted by coolmovies
Do you guys Like the PT ?? I cant stand it becouse its all CGI and the story is weak . I like the OT becouse its dark and the story is strong with comedy from Han solo 'laugh it up fuzz ball' big grin

I don't watch the PT specifically for the reasons you posted above smile

I still have them on DVD mind.

queeq
Yeah, me too.

General G
Originally posted by queeq
Dunno yet, the oldest is eight. But I did find one thing striking when we watched all of them in sequence. They enjoyed the PT (of course, cartoons are nice at that age) but after seeing ANH the oldest said that he found it a very exciting story. Now, he never said that about the others!!! I thought that was amazing but also very correct. I watched them getting sucked into this story, propelling them from the sands of Tatooine into space, having to escape the DS and saving a Princess and then trying to destroy the DS. The challenges were clear, it sucked them right into the stories. Frankly, I don't think they got a lot from the PT first time around.
The first time I watched TPM with my second son at age 5 or so (I had to read the subtitles to him) I found all that Senate debating stuff and taxation of trade routes so boring.. and I was wondering if he got any of it. He liked the pod race though.

So the oldest preferred the OT, the OT does have a more exciting story than the PT, so I could see that. But hearing that from an 8 year old is odd, I would have thought that the flashing lightsabers and blasters would have gotten his attention more.
They definately could have cut out a lot of the Senate parts erm

It sounds to me that they preferred the OT.

Alliance
Maybe people are just so simple they can only follow a simple plot?

queeq
It's got nothing to do with simplicity of the plot, but they way it's told. The PT hides the plot too much IMHO. The OT takes the viewer along. One can definately argue that the PT has a better plotline, but I think they way it's been told is very poor.
I think Lucas should have checked out Alfred Hitchcock a bit more. Hidding plot points is not clever if you're not good at it. Hiding Sidious's identity was useless and made everything fuzzy in TPM and AOTC (and tehrefor unexciting), hiding the people behind the assasination attempts of Padme was not wise, as if it was such a big deal to find out who did. And when they did, we didn't care because Dooku was an unknown to us. The storytelling was faulty in the PT, more faulty than in the OT for sure.
A kid gets that, he sees all the flashy things in the PT and likes it a lot. But that he gets sucked into an exciting story where he wants to know how it ends, how the characters will do... that always shows. And that is where the PT fails miserably.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.