6 billion people, 6 billion right interpretations of the Bible?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JesusIsAlive
Are there 6 billion right interpretations of Bible Scriptures?

Are there 6 billion right (i.e. winning) number sequences in the Lottery?

Are there 6 billion right (i.e. true) genomes for one person?

Are there 6 billion right (i.e. correct) combinations to your lock?

Are there 6 billion right (i.e. accurate) numbers for dialing your home?

Are there 6 billion right (i.e. correct) addresses to your house?

Are there 6 billion right (i.e. true) suns in our solar system?

Are there 6 billion right (i.e. precise) passwords for logging on to your computer?

Are there 6 billion right Social Security Numbers for one person?

Are there 6 billion right (i.e. true) Presidents of the United States at once

Are there 6 billion right (i.e. biological) parents for one child?

Are there 6 billion right (i.e. true) ways to God?

Are there 6 billion right (i.e. accurate) fingerprints for one person?

Are there 6 billion right (i.e. true) interpretations of the Bible?

The answer to all of these questions is no. In each scenario I have asked a rhetorical question to emphasize the fact there is only one true (or correct) event or occurrence in all of the cases. So then why do people get upset when you tell them that there is only one correct interpretation of the Bible? I am not saying that I always correctly interpret the Scriptures (or as the Bible states it "rightly divides the Word of Truth"wink. My supposition is simply that there is only one true, accurate, and correct interpretation. I believe that my claim that the Bible has only one correct interpretation is well-founded (as opposed to the assertion by so many people that the Bible has many interpretations, that it is not absolute, and that it can mean whatever anyone wants it to mean). I believe that people are confusing revelations of Scripture with a new interpretation of Scripture. I believe that Bible Scriptures may have many facets of revelation (I am not referring to the Book of Revelation, but facets of revelation). What this means is that there are times when you read the Bible that you will see some new aspect of what you are reading that you have never seen before. It is almost like viewing a three-dimensional object from a different angle (but it is the same object). Similarly, the Bible gives or yields new facets of revelation in proportion to our level of spiritual growth and capacity to comprehend it as the Holy Spirit illuminates that particular Scripture. I have had Scriptures that I have read for years all of a suddenly seem to reveal spiritual truth from an entirely different perspective (sort of like a paradigm shift)--but it is the same Scripture and interpretation, I am just able to see it from another side. For example, in all of the mathematic disciplines that exist (Basic math, Differential Equations, Calculus, Pre-Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry, Intermediate Algebra, etc.), there are still only four primary operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It appears that all of mathematics involves one or more of these basic operations in some way. So the Bible has many revelations (i.e. many facets or perspectives of understanding the same subject) but only one correct interpretation of the subject matter.

leonheartmm
not true. the bible is self contradictory and paradoxical. in order for there to be only one interpretation , it needs to not conflict with what it said in one place form another place. yet it does. the bible also has mathematical, historical and logical contradictions. overall the more reasonable thing to say is that it has many interpretations. the true thing to say is that its all made up and no interpretations are correct as the book is fallacious and made up.

Bardock42
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive

Are there 6 billion right (i.e. precise) passwords for logging on to your computer?

The answer to all of these questions is no. In each scenario I have asked a rhetorical question to emphasize the fact there is only one true (or correct) event or occurrence in all of the cases. So then why do people get upset when you tell them that there is only one correct interpretation of the Bible? I am not saying that I always correctly interpret the Scriptures (or as the Bible states it "rightly divides the Word of Truth"wink. My supposition is simply that there is only one true, accurate, and correct interpretation. I believe that my claim that the Bible has only one correct interpretation is well-founded (as opposed to the assertion by so many people that the Bible has many interpretations, that it is not absolute, and that it can mean whatever anyone wants it to mean). I believe that people are confusing revelations of Scripture with a new interpretation of Scripture. I believe that Bible Scriptures may have many facets of revelation (I am not referring to the Book of Revelation, but facets of revelation). What this means is that there are times when you read the Bible that you will see some new aspect of what you are reading that you have never seen before. It is almost like viewing a three-dimensional object from a different angle (but it is the same object). Similarly, the Bible gives or yields new facets of revelation in proportion to our level of spiritual growth and capacity to comprehend it as the Holy Spirit illuminates that particular Scripture. I have had Scriptures that I have read for years all of a suddenly seem to reveal spiritual truth from an entirely different perspective (sort of like a paradigm shift)--but it is the same Scripture and interpretation, I am just able to see it from another side. For example, in all of the mathematic disciplines that exist (Basic math, Differential Equations, Calculus, Pre-Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry, Intermediate Algebra, etc.), there are still only four primary operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It appears that all of mathematics involves one or more of these basic operations in some way. So the Bible has many revelations (i.e. many facets or perspectives of understanding the same subject) but only one correct interpretation of the subject matter.

I absolutely agree. The bible has just one correct interpretation. The interpretation that it is all nonsense included, of course. Which it is I don't know.

Sahri24
I think I may be able to help on that subject. I am Catholic and know alot about interrpretaions of the bible. Once you understand the time, the people, and how much they just needed someone to believe because of all the persecution you will find more interrpretations of the bible. yes I totally agree with you it is like that and in truth there is only one interpretaion of the bible. I understand where you are coming from and there so many people who say "He said it this way so it must be right." Like when Jesus said he would return some day with trumpets and angels but that doesn't mean there will be trumpets it was just put in our language so we could better understand. You see I have a church teacher who if anyone questions the bible or her faith she would make sure you never saw that side of it ever again. But I am not worried about anyone doing that to me because for fact I know that if you told me that the world was flat I would not scream , "My God that's not true you must be insane." No I would say ok have it your way. Once I had a girl come up to me and tell me she saw God. Now kind of like you I thought ok well she's probably interrpreting the bible differently but sure enough she laughed in my face and told me God was a Woman and she was black. Well she had the wrong idea and she doesn't even like catholics. What I'm trying to say is I totally understand where your coming from and I think you've got the right idea.

Schecter
i so love all these "the only correct interpretation of the bible is my interpretation" threads.
i just want to put all these threads in a pile and roll around naked in it.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Sahri24
I think I may be able to help on that subject. I am Catholic and know alot about interrpretaions of the bible. Once you understand the time, the people, and how much they just needed someone to believe because of all the persecution you will find more interrpretations of the bible. yes I totally agree with you it is like that and in truth there is only one interpretaion of the bible. I understand where you are coming from and there so many people who say "He said it this way so it must be right." Like when Jesus said he would return some day with trumpets and angels but that doesn't mean there will be trumpets it was just put in our language so we could better understand. You see I have a church teacher who if anyone questions the bible or her faith she would make sure you never saw that side of it ever again. But I am not worried about anyone doing that to me because for fact I know that if you told me that the world was flat I would not scream , "My God that's not true you must be insane." No I would say ok have it your way. Once I had a girl come up to me and tell me she saw God. Now kind of like you I thought ok well she's probably interrpreting the bible differently but sure enough she laughed in my face and told me God was a Woman and she was black. Well she had the wrong idea and she doesn't even like catholics. What I'm trying to say is I totally understand where your coming from and I think you've got the right idea.

T-this is somehow a good post. I am surprised.

mr.smiley

Well theirs only one adress were I live but you have apartment A,B,C,orD.6 billion different presidents?I doubt it but I know as of now we have 2.George W Bushs'.One is the defender of the free world on a holy crusade against terroism.The other is a money hungry leader who is considered to be an evil man.6 billion true ways to God?Actualy their's probably more.Just as Moriehi Ushebia (spellcheck) said:

Their are many ways to the top of a mountain but their is only one summit.Love.
Combinations to my lock?Just bust my door down instead.What I'm getting at is the bible DOES exist,however their are very many interpertations to it.Most of what we debate on the Bible comes down to translation.
translate the bible into,lets say Greek,you get a completly different message than you do in English.You can show me our solar system and it's sun,but you can also show me another solar system with another sun.You can should an endless amount of computer passwords.That doesn't make one truer than the other.Their nessacery for each unit.

Like I said before,when people get the crazy idea (in religion),that they are right and everyone else is simply wrong,that's when blood is spilled.That's scary.Why can't we all just accept we have different beliefs and embrace the diverse teachings we have.Why can't we take advantage of the fact the world is bursting with all sorts of amazing teachers and teachings?Instead we got to belive our own belief is right because the after life can't simply be different than we belive.I'm not saying lets all join suicide cults and kill ourselfs,but can't we at least come to the understanding none of us have the right to say we have a correct spiritual belief and someone else has it wrong.

lil bitchiness
Just because a lot of people like something doesn't make it ''good'' or ''right''.

Bible should be open to any interpretation anyone likes it to be. If you want to interpret ''god said let there be light'' as big bang, then do so. But if you want to interpret it as ''god just went ''click'' at the lightswitch'' than thats fine too.

Just don't impose it on the rest of the people who are not interested/don't believe it/have different interpretation.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Just because a lot of people like something doesn't make it ''good'' or ''right''.

Bible should be open to any interpretation anyone likes it to be. If you want to interpret ''god said let there be light'' as big bang, then do so. But if you want to interpret it as ''god just went ''click'' at the lightswitch'' than thats fine too.

Just don't impose it on the rest of the people who are not interested/don't believe it/have different interpretation.

But....he is correct that one or the other is true. Not both or all.

lil bitchiness
Possibly.

But since we don't have any clue what the ''right way'' is, we might as well just stick to the most logical one.
There is only one way to god, seems very unlikely to me.

This whole ''one god'' business, people are making more complicated than if we had 100 000 Gods. that would be Easier. You can worship whichever God you like and be right. Everyone's happy.

mr.smiley
I belive if their was only one absolute truth in the world,the very fact it was absolute would make us all follow that one teaching.Most teachings seperate us instead.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Possibly.

But since we don't have any clue what the ''right way'' is, we might as well just stick to the most logical one.
There is only one way to god, seems very unlikely to me.

This whole ''one god'' business, people are making more complicated than if we had 100 000 Gods. that would be Easier. You can worship whichever God you like and be right. Everyone's happy.

As long as they don't interfere with other people...

Alliance
Are you kidding there are 6 billion people wih 6 trillion different interpretations of the Bible.

Sorry, I get enough of this Paleyite junk in history class. The Bible is not comparable to a lock or a computer password. It is a book, comparable to toher books of which there are 6 trillion different interpretations.

chithappens
To say "right" here means "correct" and since no one can be certain of their own correctness in regards to the metaphysical, there can not be a "right" interpretation.

chithappens
Originally posted by mr.smiley
I belive if their was only one absolute truth in the world,the very fact it was absolute would make us all follow that one teaching.Most teachings seperate us instead.

What you are referring to has nothing to do with an absolute anything. That's a man made tactic known as miseducation.

Covers a lot of stuff like history, religion, racism, and so on.

ThePittman

If you add in parallel universes than the answer is yes stick out tongue but since no one is alive that wrote the Bible no one knows what it is supposed to mean so how can you say one view of the Bible is correct? wink

mr.smiley
Originally posted by chithappens
What you are referring to has nothing to do with an absolute anything. That's a man made tactic known as miseducation.

Covers a lot of stuff like history, religion, racism, and so on.

Isn't every tactic man made?
Anyhow I was simply responding to what Bardock and Bitchiness were talking about.Please go back over it and read if carefully i'm sure you will see it.
Miseducation?Are you Bill O'Reily?

LOL

Shakyamunison

Just because something is confusing and open to interpretation does not mean it has one true mean. The bible has no true meaning; it is just a book.

chithappens
Originally posted by mr.smiley
Isn't every tactic man made?
Anyhow I was simply responding to what Bardock and Bitchiness were talking about.Please go back over it and read if carefully i'm sure you will see it.
Miseducation?Are you Bill O'Reily?

LOL

I read it before I quoted you, but you obviously misunderstand my point.

You don't find it odd how close the three major monotheistic religions are?

And please do not compare anything I say to Bill O'Reily. What I said is in no way related to him.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by chithappens
...And please do not compare anything I say to Bill O'Reily. What I said is in no way related to him.

Oh! no, we have a Bill O'Reilyphob. laughing

mr.smiley
I just hope no one tells me this is a no spin zone.Wait that would be kind of funny.For now on this is a no spin zone.

I don't find anything weird about religions being closely related.I think people just belive alot of the same stuff just with a different name

Nellinator
So yah, there is only one right interpretation, however, there no way of knowing for sure. Some are made perfectly clear for us (like the sacrifice of Christ and the resurrection), but many are mysteries that are the "glory of kings" to seek.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Nellinator
So yah, there is only one right interpretation, however, there no way of knowing for sure. Some are made perfectly clear for us (like the sacrifice of Christ and the resurrection), but many are mysteries that are the "glory of kings" to seek.

If there was only one right interpretation, there would only be one Christian denomination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

That is a lot of different interpretation.

Nellinator
I never said any of them have the right one or that all people have it.

Add to that the fact that 90% of the denominations on that list are not independant.

Shakyamunison

Add to that the fact that 90% of the denominations on that list are not independant.

However, you are in no position to say which one is the right one, beyond what is right for you.

Nellinator
Well, there is a definite limit on many, that is those that pertain to salvation that have been believed by all Christians at all times. However, we really don't need interpretation as Paul clarified it all in the epistles. Some stuff, like predestination, spiritual gifts, etc. there is various interpretations and I cannot say for sure whether they are right or wrong, but at the very least they need to line up with the rest of the Bible to be considered a valid argument.

FeceMan
Everything JIA posts fails.

Shakyamunison
Well, there is a definite limit on many, that is those that pertain to salvation that have been believed by all Christians at all times. However, we really don't need interpretation as Paul clarified it all in the epistles. Some stuff, like predestination, spiritual gifts, etc. there is various interpretations and I cannot say for sure whether they are right or wrong, but at the very least they need to line up with the rest of the Bible to be considered a valid argument.

laughing You seem to know very little about all of the different types of Christians in the world. Just look up Greek Orthodox Church and see how different they are.

Nellinator
The Greek Orthodox (which has the same doctrine as all Orthodox) isn't that different in doctrine of faith from most Protestants and is nearly identical to Catholicism. I know the theologies of almost every denomination... I didn't just randomly choose what I was.

Shakyamunison
The Greek Orthodox (which has the same doctrine as all Orthodox) isn't that different in doctrine of faith from most Protestants and is nearly identical to Catholicism. I know the theologies of almost every denomination... I didn't just randomly choose what I was.

What about the Mormons, and don't give me shit that Mormons are not Christian?

Nellinator
Mormons are... different. Much different really. I'm used to Mormons too as I live a ten minutes walk from one of their only temples in Canada. That's not a place we need to go right now though as it will end up off on an unproductive tangent.

lord xyz

Okay, lets say the Bible is true.

How do we find out the right interpretation?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by lord xyz

roll eyes (sarcastic) His interpretation is the only right interpretation. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nellinator
Actually, he said that he doesn't always correctly interpret. You guys need to get over your bias read everything he says, leave it in context and be productive instead of spamming this thread with "JIA thinks he is always right". He clearly said he does not think that.

Anyways, he makes a valid point.

Shakyamunison
Actually, he said that he doesn't always correctly interpret. You guys need to get over your bias read everything he says, leave it in context and be productive instead of spamming this thread with "JIA thinks he is always right". He clearly said he does not think that.

Anyways, he makes a valid point.

So, I guess you don't know what is meant by roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nellinator
You said "His intpretation is the only right interpretation" and then used that smilie in a way indicative of you thinking he is full of crap.

Shakyamunison
You said "His intpretation is the only right interpretation" and then used that smilie in a way indicative of you thinking he is full of crap.

Sorry, wrong. I put on before and after; that means I was making fun of lord xyz for asking a loaded question. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nellinator
Ahh, so what does one before mean and what does one after mean?

Shakyamunison

Alliance

Considering they're all Chirstian, doesn't that make them like 90% dependant?

There are still 6 trillion interpreations...

Nellinator
Hardly 6 trillion interpretations. Less than 6 billion probably too. Most things are pretty clear cut. Issues generally only arise around the role of the church, the Trinity, predestination, the afterlife, and science. Most of it is clear cut though.

Shakyamunison
Hardly 6 trillion interpretations. Less than 6 billion probably too. Most things are pretty clear cut. Issues generally only arise around the role of the church, the Trinity, predestination, the afterlife, and science. Most of it is clear cut though.

laughing There isn't much left.

Nellinator
You only think that because a lot of it isn't brought up because it isn't controverisal.

lord xyz

Anyways, he makes a valid point. You guys? Who are the others?

chithappens
He is really Alexander Pope in disguise to tell us the "nature of things."

Alliance

haermm Not that I've studied.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Bardock42
But....he is correct that one or the other is true. Not both or all.

thumb up

My point precisely

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
What about the Mormons, and don't give me shit that Mormons are not Christian?

I don't believe that Mormons are Christians based on their theology.

JesusIsAlive

Get born again then take what it says literally unless the Scripture is clearly metaphorical. But just because something is metaphorical does not mean that it does not describe true events, it just may do so in symbolic language instead of in literal language.

Shakyamunison
Get born again then take what it says literally unless the Scripture is clearly metaphorical. But just because something is metaphorical does not mean that it does not describe true events, it just may do so in symbolic language instead of in literal language.

laughing Now that was clear.

JesusIsAlive
laughing Now that was clear.

laughing

Symmetric Chaos

Utter nonsense.

I'm a born again Christian and happen to have spoken with god in prayer. He revealed to me that almost the entire Bible is metaphorical in nature. None of it is meant to be taken in a purely literal way erm

lord xyz
Get born again then take what it says literally unless the Scripture is clearly metaphorical. But just because something is metaphorical does not mean that it does not describe true events, it just may do so in symbolic language instead of in literal language. In other words, you don't know. So if you don't know what it means, why do you use it as a reference?

Robtard

All you said is "my interpretation is the correct one/way"... Gee, thanks, like we didn't already know you felt that way.

-Edit, if you plan on taking the Bible literal in every sense, then you have some "esplaining to do Lucy", because there is some seriously F'd up suff in there. Stoning, incest, baby murder etc. etc.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Utter nonsense.

I'm a born again Christian and happen to have spoken with god in prayer. He revealed to me that almost the entire Bible is metaphorical in nature. None of it is meant to be taken in a purely literal way erm

I don't believe that you spoke to the true God. You may have spoken to "god" but not the true God.

lord xyz
I don't believe that you spoke to the true God. You may have spoken to "god" but not the true God. There is no ****ing God. Well, not one we can talk to anyway.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Robtard
All you said is "my interpretation is the correct one"... Gee, thanks, like we didn't already know you felt that way.

Hi buddy Robtard, it is good to see that you have not changed a bit. You still put words in my mouth and misquote me, but I still love you with Christian love brother.

Show me where I said that "my interpretation is the correct one."

Symmetric Chaos
I don't believe that you spoke to the true God. You may have spoken to "god" but not the true God.

I have spoken to the true god.

He said to me that the bible is meant as allegory. His son taught in parable and so does he. Revealing the literal truth of reality to mankind is simply impossible.

JesusIsAlive
In other words, you don't know. So if you don't know what it means, why do you use it as a reference?

No, really that is how you rightly divide the Word of Truth. You must study the Word of God to show yourself approved, a workman who needs not to be ashamed. For then grasshopper you will be able to correctly interpret the Scriptures.

Shakyamunison

He said to me that the bible is meant as allegory. His son taught in parable and so does he. Revealing the literal truth of reality to mankind is simply impossible.

roll eyes (sarcastic) Only I can speak to the true god. roll eyes (sarcastic)

laughing

JesusIsAlive

So then why do you consistently refer to God with a small case g instead of with an upper case G?

No it isn't. God has revealed the literal Truth of reality to humanity. For example, the Bible states, "In the beginning God created the Heavens and he Earth." This is a literal statement and it should be interpreted literally.

Symmetric Chaos
roll eyes (sarcastic) Only I can speak to the true god. roll eyes (sarcastic)

laughing

Silence mortal.

Robtard
Hi buddy Robtard, it is good to see that you have not changed a bit. You still put words in my mouth and misquote me, but I still love you with Christian love brother.

Show me where I said that "my interpretation is the correct one."

Hello, JesusIsAlove and right back at ya, I guess we're both just stuck in our ways.

Oh, maybe the part where you told people to "Get born again"... That's like a Rabbi telling you to convert to Judaism and interpret the Bible from a Jews point of view, yet somehow not telling you to interpret it a certain way.

Robtard
So then why do you consistently refer to God with a small case g instead of with an upper case G?

No it isn't. God has revealed the literal Truth of reality to humanity. For example, the Bible states, "In the beginning God created the Heavens and he Earth." This is a literal statement and it should be interpreted literally.

Perfect example of "interpretation" dilemma...

"God created the Heavens and the Earth" according to the bible, that isn't in question; does it say exactly how though? Would it stand to reason that it could either be the "poof there it is" as you believe, "Big bang" or maybe something else unimagined?

Symmetric Chaos

confused Because god honestly doesn't care if I capitalize "God" or not.

Gee . . . who should I believe? The one true god of the universe or some random guy on the internet.

The bible is ancient. "In the beginning God created the Heavens and he Earth." means that the heavens and Earth came into being. At the time humans could not understand what that would mean. Basicly God dumbed it down for us.

JesusIsAlive
Hello, JesusIsAlove and right back at ya, I guess we're both just stuck in our ways.

Oh, maybe the part where you told people to "Get born again"... That's like a Rabbi telling you to convert to Judaism and interpret the Bible from a Jews point of view, yet somehow not telling you to interpret it a certain way.

Well looking at the context Jesus does expound the concept of being born again. (Read John 3:1-9) Jesus is talking about being transformed "spiritually."

Shakyamunison
Well looking at the context Jesus does expound the concept of being born again. (Read John 3:1-9) Jesus is talking about being transformed "spiritually."

How do you know that he did not mean that literally?

muslimscholar
the bible is full of contradictions i don't get it

JesusIsAlive
confused Because god honestly doesn't care if I capitalize "God" or not.

Gee . . . who should I believe? The one true god of the universe or some random guy on the internet.

The bible is ancient. "In the beginning God created the Heavens and he Earth." means that the heavens and Earth came into being. At the time humans could not understand what that would mean. Basicly God dumbed it down for us.

Not it doesn't. Just quote what the Bible says verbatim (let the Word of God speak for itself). It says God created.... There is a vast difference between saying that the Heavens and Earth came into being, and saying that God created the Heavens and the Earth. Can you see this Symmetric Chaos?

Shakyamunison
Not it doesn't. Just quote what the Bible says verbatim (let the Word of God speak for itself). It says God created.... There is a vast difference between saying that the Heavens and Earth came into being, and saying that God created the Heavens and the Earth. Can you see this Symmetric Chaos?

But it does not say how.

JesusIsAlive
How do you know that he did not mean that literally?

You have misunderstood what I wrote. Jesus meant spiritually, but literally, spiritually.

Robtard
Originally posted by muslimscholar
the bible is full of contradictions i don't get it

Worry about your own flawed book before you point the finger at another. I.E. 'He without sin, shall cast the first stone' - Jesus

Shakyamunison
You have misunderstood what I wrote. Jesus meant spiritually, but literally, spiritually.

How do you know that? I understand what you are talking about, but you are making assumptions that you don't even realize.

Symmetric Chaos

If you were an omnipotent being trying to explain the creation of the universe to beings of limited intelligence what would you do?

The bible states that God created them. Is that what it means? No.

Humans have a long history of creating religions. People want something to believe in and want understanding. God saw that it was easier to speak in metaphor than in literal truths.

muslimscholar
Worry about your own flawed book before you point the finger at another. I.E. "He without sin cast the first stone" - Jesus

what about my book its got no contradiction in it if you think there is then you can tell me

Shakyamunison
what about my book its got no contradiction in it if you think there is then you can tell me

Snap laughing

muslimscholar
i am waiting Robtard

Robtard
i am waiting Robtard

Keep on waiting and while you're at it, look up the word "comprehension".

muslimscholar
Keep on waiting and while you're at it, look up the word "comprehension".

yes thought so next time don't say anything when you actually no nothing

Robtard

*sigh* Guess I'll have to spell it out for you like you're six years old... I said "your flawed book", NOT "the Qur'an has contradictions" (which it has), so you fail at trying to pigeon-hole me.

This isn't a thread about the faults of Islam though, I believe there's one or more already made. But just for shits n' giggles, who was the first Muslim?

Anyhow...

JesusIsAlive, I'd like it if you got back to me on my second post in this thread, about the "interpretation dilemma" etc.

Shakyamunison
That went well. roll eyes (sarcastic)

muslimscholar
That went well. roll eyes (sarcastic)

yes i won

Shakyamunison
yes i won

roll eyes (sarcastic)

JesusIsAlive

Shakyamunison

JesusIsAlive
If you were an omnipotent being trying to explain the creation of the universe to beings of limited intelligence what would you do?

The bible states that God created them. Is that what it means? No.

Humans have a long history of creating religions. People want something to believe in and want understanding. God saw that it was easier to speak in metaphor than in literal truths.

God did not speak metaphorically in Genesis 1:1. I don't understand why this is difficult for you to understand.

Robtard
yes i won

The only think you "won" is people having a better view of your clownish antics. Congrats!

JesusIsAlive
Oh! Word. That is literal and not metaphorical. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ok, here is the big question, what is the "word"?

Maybe "The Word" is the "Big Bang" and "Evolution". wink

For which context? Tell me the chapter and verse and I will tell you the answer.

muslimscholar
God did not speak in metaphorically in Genesis 1:1. I don't understand why this is difficult for you to understand.

Truth be told i am getting confused.

is your god a poet or something?

Shakyamunison
For which context? Tell me the chapter and verse and I will tell you the answer.

"The Word" < what does this mean?

Devil King
God did not speak metaphorically in Genesis 1:1. I don't understand why this is difficult for you to understand.

He didn't speak metaphorically in the first chapter? So, that means he was speaking metaphorically in the second chapter?

JesusIsAlive
"The Word" < what does this mean?

Which context? Give me a chapter and a verse?

confused

muslimscholar
The only think you "won" is people having a better view of your clownish antics. Congrats!

i won and you could say nothing as your location tells us you were too busy hiding in the bathroom

Shakyamunison
Which context? Give me a chapter and a verse?

confused

In the verses above; that you listed.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Devil King
He didn't speak metaphorically in the first chapter? So, that means he was speaking metaphorically in the second chapter?

No, I am dealing with this matter line upon, precept upon precept. I am focusing just on the matter at hand, the subject under discussion at this point. That is Genesis 1:1.

JesusIsAlive
In the verses above; that you listed.

Which verse? Pick one and I will do my best to expound on that one verse.

Robtard
i won and you could say nothing as your location tells us you were too busy hiding in the bathroom

1) I responded

2) Your attempt at a pun was lame and unfunny.

JesusIsAlive
Truth be told i am getting confused.

is your god a poet or something?

Confused about what?

muslimscholar
1) I responded

2) Your attempt at a pun was lame and unfunny.

it was not supposed tobe funny i was showing you are just a fool and accuse the quran when you know nothing

Robtard
No, I am dealing with this matter line upon, precept upon precept. I am focusing just on the matter at hand, the subject under discussion at this point. That is Genesis 1:1.

I did ask you a question concerning Genesis 1:1 on page 4 pertaining to "interpretation".

Shakyamunison

Devil King
I am focusing just on the matter at hand

Nice dodge.

muslimscholar
Nice dodge.

wow your good better then neo

Robtard
it was not supposed tobe funny i was showing you are just a fool and accuse the quran when you know nothing

You have now accused me of doing three things I didn't do... YOU WIN THE INTERNET!

Anyone, is MuslimScholar just another Whirly sock? Has a familiar M.O.

JesusIsAlive
Just start with the first one, at the top, and move down to the bottom. Also, go from left to right. wink laughing out loud

The word "word" in Hebrews 11:3 is the Greek word "rhema." It means:

1) that which is or has been uttered by the living voice, thing spoken, word

a) any sound produced by the voice and having definite meaning

b) speech, discourse

1) what one has said

c) a series of words joined together into a sentence (a declaration of one's mind made in words)

1) an utterance

2) a saying of any sort as a message, a narrative

a) concerning some occurrence

2) subject matter of speech, thing spoken of

a) so far forth as it is a matter of narration

b) so far as it is a matter of command

c) a matter of dispute, case at law

http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/words.pl?book=Hbr&chapter=11&verse=3&strongs=4487&page=

Alliance
lol God "said"

Devil King
wow your good better then neo

What?

Shakyamunison
The word "word" in Hebrews 11:3 is the Greek word "rhema." It means:

1) that which is or has been uttered by the living voice, thing spoken, word

a) any sound produced by the voice and having definite meaning

b) speech, discourse

1) what one has said

c) a series of words joined together into a sentence (a declaration of one's mind made in words)

1) an utterance

2) a saying of any sort as a message, a narrative

a) concerning some occurrence

2) subject matter of speech, thing spoken of

a) so far forth as it is a matter of narration

b) so far as it is a matter of command

c) a matter of dispute, case at law

http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/words.pl?book=Hbr&chapter=11&verse=3&strongs=4487&page=

And why could that not be what we call the Big Bang and Evolution?

JesusIsAlive
Nice dodge.

I do not have the time at this point to go off on another discussion. I am attempting to answer the first question. You call it to-MA-toe I say tomatoe. You call it dodging I call it not digressing.

Devil King
I do not have the time at this point to go off on another discussion. I am attempting to answer the first question. You call it to-MA-toe I say tomatoe. You call it dodging I call it not digressing.

Nice dodge.

JesusIsAlive
And why could that not be what we call the Big Bang and Evolution?

The Theory of Evolution and The Big Bang Theory both have certain parameters and characteristics that do not agree with the creating model that is revealed in the Bible.

Shakyamunison
JIA, Do you understand what makes sound? You need to have air, or you cannot speak. Therefore, "the word" must be a metaphor.

Robtard
JIA...
Perfect example of "interpretation" dilemma...

"God created the Heavens and the Earth" according to the bible, that isn't in question; does it say exactly how though? Would it stand to reason that it could either be the "poof there it is" as you believe, "Big bang" or maybe something else unimagined?

When you assume it was "poof" as instantaneous, you're interpreting it your own way as far as "time" is concerned.

Shakyamunison
The Theory of Evolution and The Big Bang Theory both have certain parameters and characteristics that do not agree with the creating model that is revealed in the Bible.

What parts? confused

JesusIsAlive
JIA, Do you understand what makes sound? You need to have air, or you cannot speak. Therefore, "the word" must be a metaphor.

The word means that God spoke a word, a literal word.

Devil King

If it's a literal word, then god is a hypocrit and a liar.

Trickster
Did God have a physical body before he created the universe?

Shakyamunison

You have nothing but your belief to base that on. You could be wrong, after all, you are human.

Why would it be unreasonable for god to make things simple for us humans, and not go into detail?

Pandemoniac
JiA! how have you been.

Say, just wondering, we've been getting some news about Fred Phelps' religious gang lately, and I was just wondering how you feel about that.
Don't have to tell you I'm sure, but these are some serious zealots, cursing Kevin Smith to hell for his oncoming movie about Reverend Phelps. And it seems they're also justifying the deaths in the Virginia Tech murders, since mankind abandoned the way of the lord, etc etc.
Your thoughts please, as a perhaps better example of a servant of god?

JesusIsAlive
What parts? confused

With regard to evolution, this part that I wrote on page three of the thread entitled, "Can you handle the Truth?"

The underlying principle of the theory of evolution states that all life (specifically all human and animal organisms) descended from a previous life form, all of which have a common ancestor. These life forms originally began as a primitive, single-celled amoeba and then evolved over billions of years into human beings (the higher, complex life form) due to natural selection.

Relative to the Theory of the Big Bang (as postulated by scientists and educators), this part that I wrote on page eight of the thread entitled, "Can you handle the Truth?"
:

What is the cause of the Big Bang? There must be a reason or cause for why the Big Bang purportedly occurred. Besides, the Big Bang defies and contradicts another law: Newton's Laws of Motion motion. You claim that matter can neither be created nor destroyed (one of the Laws of Thermodynamics) then what caused this aggregate matter to explode? This clearly violates the the Laws of Motion--as well as the Laws of Cause and Effect.

The Big Bang suggests that disorder produced order. That is not the way that God operates. God creates all things orderly and complete even in Adam and Eve's case (although Eve was created from Adam's rib, she was created complete).

JesusIsAlive
You have nothing but your belief to base that on. You could be wrong, after all, you are human.

Why would it be unreasonable for god to make things simple for us humans, and not go into detail?

You are correct I am human; therefore, it is possible for me to be wrong. However, the question is not is it possible for me to be wrong but rather is it likely that I am wrong. I do not believe that I am incorrect because I have done my due dilligence (as I do with everything that I post). I study first and examine the case for and against what I post before posting information.

Friend, if Genesis 1:1 is not simple then I do not know what is.

Alliance
The Big Bang suggests that disorder produced order. That is not the way that God operates. God creates all things orderly and complete even in Adam and Eve's case (although Eve was created from Adam's rib, she was created complete).

APPARENT order does not actually mean that order is present.

AngryManatee
They had one of those little New Testaments bible in the crapper, so I drew on it zorro

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Trickster
Did God have a physical body before he created the universe?

Good question Trickster. No, God is a spirit; therefore, He does not have a physical body. In order for God to have created physical matter He must occupy a dimension that is not comprised of physical matter. Furthermore, God Himself must not be comprised of physical matter, and He is not. God is comprised of spiritual substance or tangiblity (this is another subject though).

Devil King
Good question Trickster. No God is a spirit; therefore, He does not have a physical body. In order for God to have created physical matter He must occupy a dimension that is not comprised of physical matter. Furthermore, God Himself must not be comprised of physical matter, and He is not. God is comprised of spiritual substance or tangiblity (this is another subject though).

Which chapter or verse of the bible did you get this from?

Let me rephrase that.

Which literal chapter or verse of the bible did you get this from?

JesusIsAlive
Which chapter or verse of the bible did you get this from?

Let me rephrase that.

Which literal chapter or verse of the bible did you get this from?

Be more specific.

Devil King
Be more specific.

That's what I'm asking you to do.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
JiA! how have you been.

Say, just wondering, we've been getting some news about Fred Phelps' religious gang lately, and I was just wondering how you feel about that.
Don't have to tell you I'm sure, but these are some serious zealots, cursing Kevin Smith to hell for his oncoming movie about Reverend Phelps. And it seems they're also justifying the deaths in the Virginia Tech murders, since mankind abandoned the way of the lord, etc etc.
Your thoughts please, as a perhaps better example of a servant of god?

I am great and yourself? I have not kept abreast of what is going on in the news concerning Fred Phelps so I will have to research that subject and get back to you on that one.

However, I have heard about the Virginia Tech massacre; however, I do not personally believe that it had anything to do with "mankind" abandoning the "way of the Lord" as much as it does that "one" man has abandoned the Lord's Way.

JesusIsAlive
That's what I'm asking you to do.

Which part of what I wrote can I be more specific about?

marcu
I think that the first statement made on the first page begs a little bit of a discussion. "Is there 6 billion right interpretaions of the bible"....I would have to say that there very well could be. I read a verse and ten other people read the same verse...yet we come out of it with different understandings, no? 6 Billion is streching it a bit...but I do think that even though I and someone else's interpretations are different...we can both be right. We will only know who is trully correct once we have the chance to ask our Maker.

Devil King
In order for God to have created physical matter He must occupy a dimension that is not comprised of physical matter.

How about this big pile of shit? God MUST? Must? God mustn't do anything he doesn't want. It's kind of limiting. On top of that, what verse of the bible enlightened you to this?

Shakyamunison
Be more specific.

Nice dodge.

Devil King

On top of that, if this were true, God would be a product of the scientific laws of the universe...not the other way around.

JesusIsAlive
How about this big pile of shit? God MUST? Must? God mustn't do anything he doesn't want. It's kind of limiting. On top of that, what verse of the bible enlightened you to this?

Calm down.

No, God does not have to "must," as you put it. However, based on what I have studied, it appears that God is all-wise, omniscient, technical, orderly, calculating, precise, etc. God follows His own rules and operates within His own self-established parameters. For example, the Bible says that God cannot lie. Can God not lie? Isn't this a limitation you ask? No, it is not. God is Truth, holy, righteous, sinless, and just. To lie would contravene His very Self (i.e. Who He is. God is literally Truth Personified). That is why He cannot lie. This may come across abstruse and esoteric (my apologies) but God is the actual Personification of His attributes (i.e. Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, Self-Control). He is all of these things. (Another facet of revelation about the nature of God).

Devil King
Calm down.

No, God does not have to "must," as you put it. However, based on what I have studied, it appears that God is all-wise, omniscient, technical, orderly, calculating, precise, etc. God follows His own rules and operates within His own self-established parameters. For example, the Bible says that God cannot lie. Can God not lie? Isn't this a limitation you ask? No, it is not. God is Truth, holy, righteous, sinless, and just. To lie would contravene His very Self (i.e. Who He is. God is literally Truth Personified). That is why He cannot lie. This may come across abstruse and esoteric (my apologies) but God is the actual Personification of His attributes (i.e. Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, Self-Control). He is all of these things. (Another facet of revelation about the nature of God).

Again, which literal verse of the bible states this? And I didn't "as you put it". You did.

JesusIsAlive
On top of that, if this were true, God would be a product of the scientific laws of the universe...not the other way around.

Wrong.

God is not a product of anything except Himself. God exists because God exists. Did that make sense? Just because something does not necessarily make sense does not mean that it is not true. God's literal reason for existing lies in the Truth that He lives. I know, this sounds like a paradox. But it is the Truth. God is the Cause of Himself that is why He does not have a Creator, beginning, or end. He is the Creator, Beginning, and End--Personified.

Furthermore, God is not bound nor governed by the scientific laws of the universe because He exists (i.e. lives) in another dimension that is not subject to the laws of the universe (remember God created the universe which implies that He occupies another dimension outside of the physical universe).

Devil King
Wrong.

I'm not wrong, I'm not the one who said it.

JesusIsAlive
Again, which literal verse of the bible states this? And I didn't "as you put it". You did.

States what? Be more specific.

Devil King
States what? Be more specific.

In order for God to have created physical matter He must occupy a dimension that is not comprised of physical matter.

I'm sure you think I'm getting angry. (well, actually I know you do, since you're telling me to calm down) But by not answering the question you only make yourself out to be the hypocritical person you've always been. You've been operating that way forever Whob.

So, which verse of the bible says In order for God to have created physical matter He must occupy a dimension that is not comprised of physical matter. ?

Shakyamunison
I'm sure you think I'm getting angry. (well, actually I know you do, since you're telling me to calm down) But by not answering the question you only make yourself out to be the hypocritical person you've always been. You've been operating that way forever Whob.

So, which verse of the bible says In order for God to have created physical matter He must occupy a dimension that is not comprised of physical matter. ?

JIA is not whob. roll eyes (sarcastic) Whob was a lot smarter. big grin

JesusIsAlive
JIA...

When you assume it was "poof" as instantaneous, you're interpreting it your own way as far as "time" is concerned.

I know that the Bible states,

2 Peter 3:8
But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Psalm 90:4
For a thousand years in Your sight are like yesterday when it is past, and like a watch in the night.

I do not believe that God requires billions of years to do anything. He can take that long but I just don't buy that line of reasoning. As far as the Bible record reveals, everything came on the scene the moment God spoke it. There is no reason to assume otherwise. For example, if I tell you that I flicked the light switch on, and then the light came on afterwards, why would you think that that action took longer than it actually takes? Although I do not believe God required 24 hours to create, He nontheless gives us an idea of the time frame with respect to the amount of time that elapsed between each creative act.

Genesis 1:5
God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.

Question, are days reckoned differently today than they were when God was in the process of creating? No, I do not believe so. The evening and the morning constitute a day. I believe that day (i.e. morning) and night (i.e. evening) are comprised of 12 hours each. So that means that one day equals 24 hours

In reference to time I believe that time with God is not as critical for Him as it is for us. God exists in a dimension where time does not exist. That dimension is governed by eternity.

Eternity is another attribute of God, it comes from Him. (I don't know that I have chapter and verse for that though so, do your own research). I just believe that all things come from somwhere even God (God is the Source of Himself).

Devil King
I don't know that I have chapter and verse for that though

Color me so suprised.

JesusIsAlive

Devil King

debbiejo
Well at the sub atomic level all matter is energy, including us. So, if a person wants to say the invisible energy could be considered spirit, then all things are already in the spirit. And this would make all things connected.

Hence, we are all part of god, so there is no need to bow to anything outside ourself.

JesusIsAlive

Devil King

Robtard
LOL... First time I peeked in here since early afternoon and it's still JIA saying "my interpretation is the only interpretation" aka be Born Again.

JesusIsAlive
No, what you're saying is that I have to drink the Kool-Aid to understand. Sorry, but I'm not going to do it. I don't have to be one of you to understand your logic, or lack there of. You have failed to reasonably explain why the bible is the literal word of god, but shouldn't be taken literally. You still walk up to women on their periods, you still refuse to stone to death your unruley child.

You want to make excuses for your right to interpret the bible, but it's wrong for anyone else, because we aren't "enlightened" enough. We don't get it, right? Well, that can't be the case.

You fail. You fail at every turn. Your argument and logic can not hold up to serious debate or scrutiny. The very man you claim to follow so closely (or religiously) would be agast to see your understanding of his own words or their meaning. You want the world to operate like it's 2000 years ago, as long as you and yours get to act like it's 2007. Sorry, it's not and you can't. We all get to live in the here and now. Who the hell are you to pretend that only the people you dislike are living in the past? You want to pretend that you're the most advanced mindset in the world, while telling the people who disagree that they live in teh past. You want to tell them that they're wrong because they support abortion and homosexuality, and that hte past is a prime example of the failure of such concepts. But I don't see either of those concepts not having changed in teh last 2000 years. Can you say the same?

Capt_Fantastic?!?

You sound like Capt_Fantastic. Did you change your user name so that you could traverse this site in-cog-nito and fly below the radar undetected? roll eyes (sarcastic) Just kidding man. Lighten up. We are not diffusing a nuclear warhead. No need to be so acrimonious. Life is not all bad. I like your previous user name more than your present one, it is more upbeat. Why not spread some cheer and look on the bright side of things. Do you have a support system? People that you can talk to when you are feeling depressed?

JesusIsAlive
LOL... First time I peeked in here since early afternoon and it's still JIA saying "my interpretation is the only interpretation" aka be Born Again.

Actually, Robtard it was Jesus the Christ who coined the term "born again," I am just repeating it. Nevertheless, I will take the flack.

big grin

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>