video games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire349
im sure alot of you play video games. what games are you currently playing to those who like games. and what games are your all time favorites? i currently playing unreal tournement 2003, neverwinter nights, kingdom hearts, and final fantasy 10. and some of my favorite games are final fantasy 3 for supernintendo. Doom 2. Starcraft, warcraft 3, silent hill, medal gear solid, chrono trigger, counterstrike, final fantasy 9, resident evil, super mario 64. zelda, donkey kong. just to name a few.

Ushgarak
Neverwinter Nights is getting s whole lot of play from me, doubly so now I finally have a second cd-key so I can play it with a friends (and making keys prevent play over LANs is the stupidest thing ever).

But the big game of the moment for me is Medieval: Total War.

Obviously, though, any game from Blizzard is an absolute classic...

yerssot
hmm, I'm cutting back on my games at the moment, doing some other things now. But I'm still playing Fifa and Collin McRae II
Planing to cut further down on my computer addiction

BackFire349
medievil is good huh? ive been wanting to buy that. it looks like a combination of civilization 3 and shogun total war.

yerssot
best civi out is still #2 imo

Captain REX
I don't have any new games I'd wanna play. Age of Empires (Gold Edition; comes with Rise of Rome Expansion) and...that's pretty much it. I play SSX Tricky at my friend's house, and I rented Turok: Evolution previously (cool game IMO)

Ushgarak
It's the sequel to Shogun, so little surprise there! Both tactical and campaign modes have been massively expanded; 12 seperate nationalities under three religions each with their own unit trees.

Sequel-wise it is perfect- building on everything that was great about Shogun and improving it, mkaing more of it, and expanding it. Up to 26000 men in one battle now, when running at full pelt! And there is SO much more to the campaign mode than before that it is hard to list!

But if you didn't like Shogun you won't like this.

BackFire349
i never played shogun. but it looked cool how huge the battles were.

mah
ah, videogames. it's what makes life worth living.
today SuperMarioSunshine had europe-release so naturally I've bought that and am playing that like a maniac now. superb..ahhh, mecha-bowser! also playing Resident Evil (GC)

all time favourites: Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past, Mario64, Perfect Dark, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, WaveRace, StarCraft.
Looking most forward to: MetroidPrime, Timesplitters2, Legend of Zelda GC, Animal Crossing, PhantasyStarOnline

BackFire349
mario sunshine is great. im buying a gamecube just for that pretty much. and metroid and zelda and the resident evil games of course.

Ushgarak
Hey- how is Sunshine, Mah?

Shogun was a little deficient campaign wise, and the tactical battles were great but it was a shame that everyone had the same units, until the Mongol expansion came along. In Medieval there are SO many units it is impossible to remember them all, from Highland Clansmen to Bedouin Camel Warriors to Byzantine Cavalry to Knights Templar! It also now has full-on sieges with trebuchets and cannons and so on... ah, it's great...

yerssot
anyone has a gba here?

mah
it's as great as one could wish. its not as revolutionary as mario64, more of an evolution. nice with the water backpack that can be a weapon, make you hover, rocket etc. plus; it's got these sub-levels you get into every now and then with total old-school gameplay, no waterbackpack, just jumping. and YOSHI.
it's tropical fun at its best!

yerssot
and to think I played Mario on the NES... I feel old!

anywayz... I challange y'all for a NES game stick out tongue

mah
only negative thing about Sunshine is that the camera can be a bit difficult at times

Ushgarak
Ah, Yoshi is the dude... I wish I had a friend to borrow the latest Nintendo console off, but the only one I have who likes consoles stopped halfway through the life of the N64.

mah
you could always borrow mine stick out tongue

Ushgarak
I wish!

Tex
The Mario Sunshine camera did get on my nerves. Especially when your jumping from place to place, while shooting at stuff, it can be impossible to get a clear view. It does help that they put Marios shadow infront of things when the view is obstructed.
Last level I got to before returning it to Blockbuster was the theme park.

I am now playing StarFox Adventures! Amazing story, graphics, really loveable characters.

All time fav game: Goldeneye 007 N64

Captain REX
Goldeneye was pretty good. Like it more than World is Not Enough anyway.

My alltime favs are: StarFox64, Mario64, LegendOfZelda:OcarinaOfTime, Turok:Evolution, RogueLeader, & SuperSmashBrosMelee.

Waiting for: StarWars:BountyHunter & MetroidPrime

Mah--Waitin for AnimalCrossing? Haha! It's already out here.

Yerss--My little bro has a GBA

ToMacco
I love video games.

Nintendo
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3
Wizards and Warriors
Tetris
Blades of Steel
Ice Hockey
Stelth ATF
Ikari Warriors
Contra
Super C
Die Hard
Dragon Warrior
Major Leauge Baseball
Baseball Simulatior 1.000

Playstation
Star Ocean: The Second Story
Final Fantasy 9
NHL 2000
Metal of Honor
Metal of Honor 2
The Legend of Dragoon
Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles
Star Wars: Episode I
Major Leauge Baseball 2002

Nintendo 64
Zelda: Ocarina of Time (the funnest game I've ever played)
Zelda: Majora's Mask
Ken Griffey Jr. Slugfest
Bond
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Mario Kart

Captain REX
WOWZA! That's a lot of video games To!

I hated Majora's Mask.

BackFire349
lol, you wanna see a big list of video games, shit i should name all the ones i own. i gotta own at least 200 of them total.

finti
how is that game , shogun was pretty cool

mah
so you returned it without finishing it? feeble!!
I know mad

yerssot
that got boring after a few hours imo, played it and finished it in less then a day, was tempted to throw it out of the window but wouldn't be right 'cause it wasn't my game

The story behind #2 was just rediculous imo. 3 had great expansions with all the things he could turn into and was much much better then the others imo

*almost in shock* only 200? I'm not even going to count mine!

oh, and mah... that CM challenge is still waiting wink

mah
hey, that game was the best FPS EVER when it was released.
since when has the story in a mario game been good, or important?

yerssot
well, apperently I have high standards, wasn't impressed with the performance of certain games on the 64

well, had #2 first of them and you could have found a more original ending

mah
sick when you play a game 5 years after its released did you think it'd look good by todays standards?

yerssot
I know how old it is!
i.e. I still love to play Double Dragons II on my NES and Street Fighter II on SNES, and I like their graphics.
But with goldeneye I didn't like the graphics nor the firingsystem

mah
that makes you a fool!wink

Ushgarak
Finti- Medieval is bloody good. Go buy! It has Vikings as well... though you have to play the Danes to get them, I am afraid.

yerssot
why?

mah
because you fail to recognise the game that changed console FPS's forever.smile you can't expect the graphics to look good today!

Ushgarak
Changed them forever in the sense that someone had finally made a good one... still, console fps is still as much as a losing prospect as a PC platformer.

yerssot
like said, I like graphics on older games even better then this one

mah
nonsense. played Halo?

Ushgarak
Halo was just a stolen PC game AND it will be better on the PC. Goldeneye would also have been best on PC.

PC is just a far better FPS platform and only a fool would believe otherwise.

mah
gibberish, the amazing multiplayer modes of some console FPS's just can't be bettered with online play at a PC.

Ushgarak
Multi-player does not a classic game make, and in any case all of those modes can be done on-line or by LAN.

And it is not gibberish. Everything a console can do with an FPS a PC can do better. Better controls, better customisation, better use of graphics hardware, mods, patches, add-ons... the list is absolutely huge and consoles don't have a damn chance in comparison.

yerssot
you know if still exist?

mah
you state it like a fact, but the fact is that many people DO think that Perfect Dark, or Halo, or goldeneye is the best FPS out there, better than any PC FPS. so you and many others prefer PC for FPS but some prefer consoles, so you just can't state that the consoles don't have a damn chance, when many think they have.

Ushgarak
The console fps community is absolutely minute compared to the PC one, with its vast clans and enormous tournaments, and the amount fo work that goes into PC fps dwarves that in the console market. To say console fps is as good as PC fps is completely facile and only completely biased people would state such a thing.

Face it. The PC is the home of fps gaming and all consoles have ever done is imitate. The most casual of analyses will show how superior the PC is in this regard.

Like the consoles have the platform and beat-'em up market sewn up.

mah
what do you know about how much work goes into a console FPS? they spend many, many years making PerfectDark. I can honestly say that I prefer console shooters.

Ushgarak
But FAR more effort gets put into PC stuff that has a range from Serious Sam- mass wave shooting- to Unreal Tournament- the slickest multi-play experience there is- to Operation Flashpoint- tactical, realistic combat that makes all console games look like little kid's toys.

You can't control yourself properly on a console, you cannot adjust things to your graphics, you cannot customise your own control macros, there has never been any proper teamplay, there is no sense of communit, the games can never be modified, Half-Life is better than GOldeneye and Perfect Dark oin the classic sense because it was an EXPERIENCE as well as a game and since then has been modified, for free, into Counterstrike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress and countless others, and has been expanded twice, and you can get bots for the expansions and expand the play life for years beyond where it starts...

Where is this on the consoles? They are in the stone age.

mah
you can jabber on all you want about fancy schmancy extras, but I think it's more plain, pure fun to be found in console shooter. yes, PC is the winning system for FPS when it comes to number of quality games and generally higher quality, but there can be console FPS that's better than any on PC, and there has been, in terms of pure gaming fun.

Ushgarak
No, there have just been ones that have been good considering they are console games. And they are very good games but the PC is still better. Just one look at the awkward controls for Goldeneye shows that- if that game had been mouse and keyboard it would have been even better.

And these aren't fancy extras; these are fundamental parts of the true fps experience. Lens flare is a fancy extra.

There is no console fps better than Half-Life single player and none better than the various mods released multi-player.

mah
well you point out the best of the best from PC, Half-Life, which might have had the best single-player mode, but multiplayer is just more fun on the consoles.

Ushgarak
Again, I will point out, mods like Day of Defeat, Counterstrike and Team Fortress make Half-Life the greatest multi-play experience as well.

Captain REX
Half-Life is awesome. I play it at my friend's house.

yerssot
I had it for a few hours, seemed nice

mah
has anyone tried the original E.T game?

yerssot
nope, didn't knew there was an ET game...
now, if you start about ANH and ESB for NES...
(btw, is there a ROTJ out?)

Ushgarak
Yes

Captain REX
I think so.

yerssot
sure, rex?
there is a store near me where they sell old games, seen ANH and ESB there, but not ROTJ!
(TPM for PC was too easy but fun to wack the droids)
when is AOTC coming out or have I missed it?

Ushgarak
Get an emulator, yerss, then you can get the lot.

mah
dont think there will be one following the film exactly(except a crappy GBA game), but SW: Clone Wars comes to Gamecube and X-box.

yerssot
HEY! What about PC???
Microsoft is not going to stick me up entirely with setting it on their console!???!!

mah
microsofts not deciding anything on that game

yerssot
if they make it, they do...
but then it would be called "Star Wars: Attack of the Clones madness"

Ushgarak
Seriously, an emulator will get you any SNES or NES game you like, yerss. I have the SW set on SNES on my PC.

mah
why do you think they'd make it?

yerssot
because it's coming to their cube

mah
no need insulting me with foul lies mister! the cube is not theirs! its coming to their Box too, yes, but its LUCASARTS who's publishing it it and deciding over it

yerssot
foul lies? mesa? I wouldn't dare! big grin

so, no AOTC on PC?

mah
not likely for now.

yerssot
for now? we're already counting down to EpIII you know!

Tex
AOTC would really make a good game I think.

yerssot
yeah, something with lightsabres and jumping and pushing!

Tex
And the rock planet, and clone battle and flying through Couriscant, and the droid assembly line......

Tex
Oh, and flying through the asteroid field attacking Slave 1

yerssot
yeah, probably wouldn't make to PC

Tex
PC is like sooo 1995!!!
It's all about PS2/XBOG/GCN

yerssot
I'm oldfashioned... reminds me of my youth

Tex
Stuck in the 90s!
How embarassing! stick out tongue

yerssot
and judging by your music taste you're stuck in the 1780's

Tex

yerssot
400 years ahead of everyone in uglyness yes...
and you're the only one calling it a genius

Tex
She should have her own video game!
Oh, that's right she does!
Slap-a-papparazzi!
rolling on floor laughing

mah
certainly better than Britneys DanceBeat

yerssot
are you sure? close call!

Captain REX
I hate those lame dance games.

yerssot
you hate almost everything

Captain REX
Not true!

yerssot
sure

Captain REX
I like the boards, I like it's members, I like my life, etc.

The only thing I hate right now is my cast, the fact that I'm sick, and that my African Grey parrot won't stop talking!

yerssot
you hate much much more!

Captain REX
Why do you say that?

mah
not the arcade ones! Dance Dance Revolution, yayy!

Tex
Britney's dance beat rolling on floor laughing

yerssot
"Look at me and dance!
a false tune is permitted"

mah
only 13 days till I'll get get my most anticipated FPS this year; Timesplitters2!

Tex
So it has a world wide release on the same day then.
Kewl.
I just hope it's not too much like Goldeneye.
Sure graphics and game play are great, but originality and innovation is key.

yerssot
is this the part were we all have to jump up and down out of joy?

mah
yea..or I think 3 days later here. well it's great that we can make our own multi- and single -player levels"!

Tex
????

mah
its just yerss, nevermindsmile

Tex
I'm most anxious for Zelda.
I just love the whole cartoon concept!
It's genius I tell you!

mah
them darn japanese gets it december already. you americans get it february. europe, I have no clue.

Tex
February?!?!?!?!
I read November!!!!! mad
OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!

mah
indeedio.
that starfox adventures seem to be quite similar to the N64 Zeldas though

Tex
Yup, total rip-off!
But it's soooo kewl though!
I love it!
The worlds are beautiful, characters really lovable!
Story really great, lots of things too do.
I love it!
Makes Rare leaving Nintendo all too sad sad
Me more sad now sad

mah
yeah, sad. rumour is now very strong that Nintendo has bought Sonic Team from SEGA for some of the money they got.

Tex
Awh **** Sega!
I hate their ****ing bullshit games!
HATE THEM!!!!!!
HATE THEM!!!!!!
HATE THEM!!!!!!

mah
relax!! sega is good! Rare will be pushed to release non-finished games and will soon die. DIE, I tell you! together with the evil Xbox! muahahaha!

Ushgarak
Why do you persist in believing that Rare will be pushed, Mah? Age of Empires and Starlancer, Microsoft classics both, were not pushed at all, and are classics.

mah
simply because of this, USh: Microsoft has announced that Rare is scheduled to release 5 games in the next two years.

Ushgarak
And has Rare complained about that at any point?

mah
hehe, you think that a company owned by Microsoft would complain about MS? Microsoft has set a too tight schedule to make enough money from RAre, they need to as payed heaps to get them, but that will push Rare to cut down on quality to produce quantity.

Ushgarak
Yes, companies pressured by publishers DO complain.

And that is the same rate they released games for Nintendo, if you bothered to check instead of just ignorantly mouthing off like you are.

From 1999-2001 they made six games for the N64 alone, and also made games on other Nintendo platforms.

mah
I do believe Microsoft will ruin Rare's game-making though, even if it's only a belief.

Ushgarak
Well, we will see... a Perfect Dark sequel sounds yummy, though.

mah
indeed, especially as they've now made the game into a cartoon style thingroll eyes (sarcastic)

BackFire349
rare always makes quality games, im sure that with the higher demand they will be fine, theyr probably just got more employees to help them.

BackFire349
perfect dark was cool. not as good as goldeneye though.

BackFire349
dreamcast was an outstanding system too. yeah, i know, this is my 3rd post in a row, im just trying to comment on all the topics that have gone on since i have been away.

Ushgarak
Dreamcast never got a fair deal. I remember Dreamcast adverts running just before I first saw TPM, actually.

mah
the dreamcast was great. a shame how it ended up

BackFire349
yeah, grandia 2 was outstanding.

Captain REX
Dreamcast died like a rabbit in a hole full of wolves. sad

I've heard rumors of a third Banjo-Kazooie game. I loved Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie for N64, so I hope this is true!

BackFire349
yeah, they were great. well banjo kazooie, i never played banjo tooie.

Captain REX
Banjo-Tooie was pretty good. There are more moves, like Bill Drill. More eggs, like Grenade, Fire, Ice, Remote, and the Automatic pick-up. And you could have Banjo and Kazooie split-up for different jobs. Also all of the transformations (not done by Mumbo now) had attacks and you could play as Mumbo for certain parts of a level.

Also the Ice Key was explained and so were the Eggs from Mumbo's ending pictures in BK, but it was a lame explanation. I liked using codes to get them in BK better. smile

Also the Washing Machine glitch was a preview for a transformation in Gruntilda's industrial factory. It shoots dirty underwear at people! laughing out loud

Tex
The Banjo Kazooie series was absolutely wonderfull!
The cutest and most loveable characters in gaming history!
Didn't you find Grunty's UK liscence plate charming?
I love that whole series!
Too bad it's gone over to XBOX sad

Perfect Dark was amazing.
Rare makes the best games. Should be interesting to see how they develope with MS.

Ushgarak
Hey, I never did play Banjo-Tooie. ANd having fully done Banjo-Kazooie... What WAS the deal with the eggs, then?

mah
another funny little game I'm looking forward to is Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee....a crazy fighting game

Ushgarak
Sounds fun... modern day Rampage, is it?

yerssot
talking about funny little games... anyone know roadrage?

mah
yes, have heard about road rage

almost. you have a broad selection of classic film giant-monsters and fight amongst scy-scrapers, which are destructible of course; you can throw the opponent into things and crush the city during your wild fight..wooopedee!

BackFire349
i cant wait for the new mortal kombat game. its about bloody time.

mah
there's been quite a few crappy mortal kombat games

Tex
Mortal Combat is coming out for what systems exactly?

mah
all three

Fire
who cares?

mah
tex asked, I answered

Fire
okie, still think mortal combat are dumb games

Ushgarak
Ah, Mortal Kombat... a franchise that bravely tried to disprove the idea that games made crap films. The first film proved, at least, that could could make very funny films out of games, intentionally or otherwise. The second proved that if you make a film of a game, don't use the entire plot up in the first film.

Captain REX
It was REALLY stupid; not only did just 3 eggs make it into Banjo-Tooie, but they were used to get new moves or more characters for multiplayer. roll eyes (sarcastic)

The Ice Key was a little lame too; it got you into an ice chest on the frozen side of Hailfire Peaks (lava-ice world) which got you the Mega Glowbo (used for transformations). The cool thing was that the Mega Glowbo could be used to transform Kazooie into a Dragon (and get a Firebreath attack evil face ) until you say otherwise. smile evil face

Remember how Gobi the Camel said that we'd "never find him in the Lava World"? The Lava World is the boiling side of Hailfire Peaks, so we see Gobi again.

The Jinjos also make a return and help get you puzzel pieces on the Isle O' Hags (Homeland to the Jinjos, Grunty and her pathetic sisters, etc.).

Cheato the Spellbook is back too. After Grunty escaped the grave thanks to her sisters, she ripped out his pages, which you must find 5 of for 1 spell. Codes are easier to do. Cheato resides in the remains of Gruntilda's Lair.

mah
damn, SuperMarioSunshine has to be the finest game of the year! SO MUCH FUN; I CANT HANDLE IT!

Fire
whatever evil face

mah
back on FPS. newest number of UK magazine Cube states in their review of the console-FPS Timesplitters2:
"The best shoot-'em-up in the world...ever? It looks like FreeRadical might have actually cracked it..."

Tex
Starfox is better than Sunshine.
I'm going to have to rent it again, cause I'm not even half way through.
Have to rent Sunshine again too, to beat it.
Thank god for memory packs.
I got that new black 128block or something one! cool

mah
yeh, I'd need one of them big memory cards. and starfox can't be better than sunshine

BackFire349
i heard starfox was kinda disapointing.

mah
and ever thought about buying games, Tex? you're sitting so tight on your money! instead of buying games like mario, one of the few games you bought was the mediocre Agent Under Fire?

yerssot
please FM, say you finished RTCW by now!

Tex

Captain REX
You talk like an autistic person. eek!

Instead of saying "my" or "me", autistic people say their name.

queeq
Off topic and over 100. Closing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.