Kas'im versus Ulic Quel-Droma

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Apollo Cloud
Takes place in the Geonosian Arena seen in AotC, both characters are at their best, anything goes.

Darth_Glentract
Oo wow, most interesting thread I've seen in a long time.

I personally can't decide. Ulic has far more raw power and latent ability, but Kas'im is more experinced and has spent loads more time training. I'll wait for some other comments before stating one way or the other.

Darth Sexy
Don't think this is too hard. Kas'im has more saber knowledge than Yoda(no I'm not saying he's better than him), and is referred to as possibly the best swordsman ever. While this is speculation, he does have some basic force abilities such as a force shield. In a saber battle he would waste Ulic.

Darth_Glentract
I disagree that Kas'im has more saber knowledge than Yoda. Kas'im knew all of the main seven forms, but I believe that Yoda did as well and he was also mentioned to know some forms beyond the standard seven, I believe.

Exar, who is also one of the greatest swordmasters ever, was stalemated by Ulic. To say that Kas'im wins because of the evidence that has thus far been provided is premature.

Darth Hord
Originally posted by Darth_Glentract

Exar, who is also one of the greatest swordmasters ever, was stalemated by Ulic. To say that Kas'im wins because of the evidence that has thus far been provided is premature.

Ulic stalemated Kun before he created the saberstaff.

Darth Sexy
Originally posted by Darth_Glentract
I disagree that Kas'im has more saber knowledge than Yoda. Kas'im knew all of the main seven forms, but I believe that Yoda did as well and he was also mentioned to know some forms beyond the standard seven, I believe.

I would say Kas'im could beat Exar Kun as well. Kas'im knew all that Yoda did, as well as Jar'Kai so his knowledge exceeded that of Yoda. He would most definitely defeat Ulic. And Ulic stalemated Kun before Kun created his double blade.

Apollo Cloud
Yeah, I made this thread because these two guys are about as even as it gets.

Saberwise, Kas'im's mastery is pretty much higher than anybody else in the entire SW mythos (and much higher than Ulic's given what we know), given he mastered every form to the highest degree for the saber staff, single saber and dual sabers, and even furthered some of the forms. However, Ulic's natural grasp of the saber is likely second to none, given after being cut off from the force, and 9 years out of practise, he was able to hold of an enraged and highly skillful Jedi Master, while holding back.

Forcewise, Kas'im defended against Bane's kamehameha wave, and given that the darkside generally excels when used offensively, it can be assumed that Kas'im's offensive use of the force at this point is even greater than what he defended against. However, after gaining a sith amulet, Ulic was said to literally be rippling in darkside energy, and has displayed some pretty awesome power, such as knocking both Cay and Nomi back about 50 feet purely by shouting.

This is honestly as even as it gets, I really can't decide on who would win this, too bad not too many people know who Kas'im is.

Burnt Pancakes
Originally posted by Apollo Cloud

Forcewise, Kas'im defended against Bane's kamehameha wave,

Oh god. I literally fell off of my couch and choked on the Pizza I was eating when I read this.

darthsith19
This is actually a very close match. I'd put Kas'im as slightly above Ulic with a blade (moves so fast he's a blur, best swordsman of his era, maybe of any era, has mastered all 7 forms, practices many hours a day). Not certain who would win with the Force, though (I can't really rememebr either of them doing anything with the Force except Ulic resisting Nadd's mind attacks and Kas'im blocking Bane's Force Attack). For size they've got to be pretty close. So I'm not sure, since I gues their tied in size and Force skills but Kas'im wins in a saber duel I guess he wins then. But I'm far from certain.

Darth Sexy
Again, I fail to see how it's close. You're basing Ulic's superiority on his fight with Kun, who at the time wasn't yet at his peak, while Kas'im knew all 7 forms of saber combat including Jar'Kai style, and perfected them. It's not going to be as close as you think.

darthsith19
Originally posted by Darth Sexy
Again, I fail to see how it's close. You're basing Ulic's superiority on his fight with Kun, who at the time wasn't yet at his peak, while Kas'im knew all 7 forms of saber combat including Jar'Kai style, and perfected them. It's not going to be as close as you think.
Just because one has mastered all the saber forms doesn't mean that they can beat anyone who ahs only mastered one saber form. And yeah, Kun wasn't at his peak, but neither was Ulic, was he? And although Kun wasn't at his peak he was still damn strong, definitely strong enough to not be "wasted" by Kas'im. I think you're underestimating Ulic here.

Darth Sexy
Originally posted by darthsith19
Just because one has mastered all the saber forms doesn't mean that they can beat anyone who ahs only mastered one saber form. And yeah, Kun wasn't at his peak, but neither was Ulic, was he? And although Kun wasn't at his peak he was still damn strong, definitely strong enough to not be "wasted" by Kas'im. I think you're underestimating Ulic here.

Ulic was at his peak DS. I don't think Kas'im would completely waste him but I don't think he'll have that much difficulty with him. What you're saying is basically saying because Yoda mastered all the saber forms, it doesn't mean he can beat anyone who has mastered one form. While that holds true, he most definitely has an advantage over anybody he fights.

darthsith19
This begs for proof.

Originally posted by Darth Sexy
In a saber battle he would waste Ulic.

Despite pwning Mandalore, stalemating Exar Kun, beating Ommin quite easily and Warb Null in a single move? No, kas;im would win but it'd be far from wastage, or even a little difficulty. It will be close.

Yes, but Kas;im will only be using one form at a time, same as Ulic, and if they have both mastered their one form to the same degree then the only advantage that Kas'im will have is that he knows the form that Ulic is using as well. Which is an advantage but not enough to beat Ulic without "that much difficulty", let alone enough to waste him.

Darth Sexy
This begs for proof.
When did he use his saber during TSW exactly? He had armies at his disposal so there was no real reason for him to practice.

He destroyed Ommin's skeleton thingy, I don't see how that's relevant to his saber abilities. I'll give him Warb Nulla lthough I don't know much about his abilities. Kas'im however was unmatched and his various knowledge exceeds anything Ulic knows.

What do you mean he'll use one form at a time, notice how Sidious used more than 1 form against Mace in the same fight.

Advent
Despite pwning Mandalore, beating Ommin quite easily

Originally posted by Advent
All he did again King Ommin was resist his dark side energies (not lightsaber related at all), and cut his metal exoskeleton, of which he needs, otherwise he 'collapses like an Arkanian jellyfish', which he did.

This is lightsaber related how?

Now, against Mandalore, he wasn't exactly dominating the entire duel either:

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/5615/mandaloreuliche7.th.png

He did win, but he certainly didn't kick his ass.

It's rather idiotic to use feats from a person who doesn't include all the details. So, just stop while you're behind.

darthsith19
Fighting Mandalore, fighting his brother, ect. Why would Kun improve but not Ulic? Why wouldn't Ulic still practice?

Because Oddin was a powerful Dark Jedi, and he was being controleld by Freedon Nadd, which makes him even stronger. Pwning him is impressive. Warb Null is Force Sensitive and is the leader of King Ommin's army. He held off Cay and Oss Wilum, 2 on 1, for a while. Kas;im was unmatched in his era, an era that was composed mainly of weak Sith - Qordis was one of the stronger Sith, and Bane wtf pwnd him. Kaan was also one of the strongest Sith, and he knew that he was "no match for Bane, either physically or through the power of the Force." So yeah, of course Kas'im was unmatched in his era, this doesn't mean that he'd beat Ulic without much difficulty.

He does? I thought he just used Juyo in that fight, what else does he use and when?

Resisting Ommin's energies is impressive. My bad, I had forgotten that it wasn't a saber fight, but him resisting the energies is impressive. And he did kick Mandalore's ass. Look at your pic again. Ulic puts away his lightsaber and fights Mandalore unarmed and still matches him. With weapons he was owning Mandalore hard.

http://swtimeline.ru/comics/Tales_of_the_Jedi_-_The_Sith_War/Tales_of_the_Jedi_-_The_Sith_War_011.jpg

There is shows that Mandalore has twisted the rules to throw the balance of the fight to himself, yet...

http://swtimeline.ru/comics/Tales_of_the_Jedi_-_The_Sith_War/Tales_of_the_Jedi_-_The_Sith_War_013.jpg

Ulic destroys Mandalore's Mount in a second, even though he is on unsolid ground. We see Mandalore hanging from a chain, completely vulnerable to any attack that Ulic throws at him, yet Ulic chooses not to kill Mandalore, for he wishes to have Manaalore as the leader of his forces.

http://swtimeline.ru/comics/Tales_of_the_Jedi_-_The_Sith_War/Tales_of_the_Jedi_-_The_Sith_War_014.jpg

Here he proves himself capable of matching Mandalore without even using any weapons...

http://swtimeline.ru/comics/Tales_of_the_Jedi_-_The_Sith_War/Tales_of_the_Jedi_-_The_Sith_War_015.jpg

He then takes a mount, grabs an unfamiliar weapon, and attacks Mandalore again - this time defeating him in a single move.

Now, would you mind explaining to me which part of that isn't ownage?

Advent

The part where Ulic gets his head smashed in, and then falls off a cliff, dumbsith.

Really, it's so annoying when you post an entire battle's worth of scans, and yet it still doesn't prove your point. They exchange blows, at one point Qel-Droma is on the ground, the next, Mandalore is. 'Ownage' would be like what Darth Sidious did to Saesee Tiin, Kit Fisto, and Agen Kolar. 'Ownage' would be like what Obi-Wan started to do to General Grievous. 'Ownage' was Exar Kun kicking Vodo Siosk-Baas' ass.

I didn't notice any of those combatants getting a hit in on their opposition, yet Mandalore did. Not only that, but it says "while Ulic's grasp of the Force is great...Mandalore's skill in battle may be greater!", this would not be so if Qel-Droma was able to virtually kick his ass without problems; so, obviously you're wrong (aside from the fact on panel evidence shows Mandalore putting Ulic on the defensive, and getting the better of him during their initial confrontation with Mandalorian weaponry).

Try again.

Bullshit much?

Ulic isn't Superman, he cannot fly, and he's clearly in the air as well. Did you notice the narration, which says "the outcome -- like the combatants -- hangs in the air"? Yes, this is indicative that Qel-Droma could've killed him. </sarcasm>

It would certainly be nice if you could learn how to comprehend the materials of which you brought into play.

And you'll take note that he did the same exact thing that Mandalore did to him (which he did in a single move ). Again, how is that 'ownage'? You need to check your definitions, as your wording is incorrect.

Apollo Cloud
It wasn't ownage, but considering the disadvantages Ulic was facing, it was pretty slick.

Riverollv
Originally posted by Apollo Cloud
Takes place in the Geonosian Arena seen in AotC, both characters are at their best, anything goes.

Hmm... I THINK Kas'im takes this one in saber combat. When it's up to the Force, probably Ulic can take it

darthsith19
Oh yeah, didn't see that part, but still, with weapons and disadvantages he was owning, the only time Mandalore gained the upper hand was when Ulic put away all his weapons. That's pretty much ownage.

On the ground? Of course they are standing on the ground. What has this got to do with Ulic owning Mandalore?

Yes, when Ulic has no weapons and is NOT using the Force Mandalore has the upper hand and Ulic gets pushed back. The narrator was juicing up the fight, them comic shows what really happened. Before Ulic puts away his weapon, he is on unsolid ground and destroys Mandalore's mount and kmocks him onto the ground in a single move. Later, when he choses to use a weapon, an unfamiliar weapon, he beats Mandalore again in a single move. That's ownage, despite what Mandalore did when ulic was unarmed.

Yes, the outcome hangs in the air because the duel isn;t over yet, but it could have been a second later. Ulic was falling through the air, he landed swiftly on his feet, not hanging from a chain.

Yes, your right, Ulic beat Mandalore move easily when using an unfamiliar weapon than Mandalore beat ulic when Ulic was using NO weapon. it takes Ulic one move to beat Mandalore, and, if you'll notice, Mandalore requires two moves to get an undefeating hit on an unarmed Ulic.

Nice try.

Advent
Oh yeah, didn't see that part, but still, with weapons and disadvantages he was owning, the only time Mandalore gained the upper hand was when Ulic put away all his weapons. That's pretty much ownage.

No, it's not.

Getting struck in the face, then falling down a cliff isn't "ownage". I've already explained what "ownage" is in terms of the Star Wars universe.

Since you are incapable of deciphering my basic messages, even when you posted the entire battle (for no reason), I'll explain, and next time I'll keep in mind what kind of intellect I'm dealing with.

Ulic was knocked onto the ground when he fell off the cliff, the same thing happened on the next page, except they traded positions. The fact that this happened tears down your point like deconstruction.

And would you stop with the 'Ulic owning Mandalore' campaign? It's rather asinine, considering on panel evidence disproves that.

Excuse me? The narration is omniscient, or otherwise known as "all knowing". You're not, as far as I'm concerned (and factually know), and the comic shows Ulic getting hammered by an axe, and subsequently cliff diving.

So, picking and choosing certain parts of a single battle to support your incorrectly worded claims is "in" now? Puh-leaze.

<darthsith logic> Mace Windu totally destroyed Darth Sidious, since he kicked and disarmed him, and that's the only scene I choose to acknowledge. </darthsith logic>

It doesn't matter if Ulic was unarmed, one handed, hogtied, or not. Mandalore got a successful attack in on him, ergo not 'ownage'. This can be accounted due to the fact Mandalore broke his headgear, and sent him flying. I've never denied that it wasn't impressive, in fact, I've used the feat far more than you, and before you; but, again, "ownage" it was not.

That's a rather faulty analysis.

The victor of the battle is uncertain at that point, because it's not clear who would actually win. This would not be so if Ulic Qel-Droma could've capitalized on the situation itself, or if he was dominating the match up.

And?

Mandalore climbed back onto the chain of which was supporting him, so your point here would be what exactly?

I know.

My Buddha, what is your point? Ulic is at fault for being arrogant, and believing he could defeat Mandalore "regardless of the weapon". He was even offered one, yet didn't take it initially.

Oh, and how we conveniently forget that Ulic was also riding upon a a mount of sorts (which appears, in structure and color, to be a basilisk war droid), whereas Mandalore had no such advantage during the end of the duel.

Which is largely irrelevant.

The fact of the matter is, you're looking at it from a skewed perspective, and not acknowledging properly what "ownage" entails.

It would've been this so called "ownage" (dumbass word from an equally dumbass sith) if Mandalore had not performed a solid attack on Qel-Droma, but he did, therefore it isn't.

It wasn't a 'try', considering your points are still wrong.

Nice try, Polly.

darthsith19
Reading comprehension? I said with weapons it was ownage on Uluc's part. When he got struck was when he was fighting unarmed.

Ulic is owning until he chooses to put away his weapon. Only without weapons does Mandalore not go down in one move.

He had to be juicing it up, since the comic shows differently than what he says. Ulic only got hit when he was using no weapons. With weapons he took Mandalore down in a single move, even though the fight was set up to give Mandalore the advantage.

Except Mace vs. Sidious lasted a while, Ulic vs. Mandalore was Ulic winning in a single move, putting away his saber to prove how much betetr than Mandalore he is, getting hit twice, then grabbing an unfamiliar weapon and beating Mandalore in a single move again. It's not like there's anymore to Mandalore vs. Ulic with weapons than Ulic winning in one move. It's not just one part of the fight, it's the entire fight. Okay, Mandalore got the upper hand on him when Ulic put away his weapon. How does that change the fact that Ulic ownded him with weapons? When they fought with weapons, Ulic owned him.

That's not what the comic shows. I take what the comic shows over what you think the definition of "hangs in the air" is.

He was trying to prove his superiority to Mandalore. With weapons he still owned him. The point is, he is far above Mandalore when he uses weapons, and as he well be using a weapon against Kas'im the unarmed portion of the fight doesn't matter since he's not going to be arrogant enough to put awya his saber while fighting Kas'im.

Mandalore only had the disadvantage because Ulic give it to him, in a single move. He was supplied a mount, and lost it instantly. Ulic actually had to obtain his own mount, why didn't Mandalore get a new one? Why didn't he destroy Ulic mount in a single move, like Ulic did to him?

Will you admit that, when Ulic did use a weapon, he owned Mandalore?

Advent
Reading comprehension? I said with weapons it was ownage on Uluc's part.

It's comedic that you bring up reading comprehension. You do realize that you wrote immediately after that that it was still "pretty much ownage", right? Which implies even though he was struck, it was still 'ownage', when it wasn't. You encompassed the entire duel, not just what you're trying to argue now.

Even more when you wrote "despite what Mandalore did" later on in the same very post.

It doesn't matter if Ulic was unarmed, one handed, hogtied, or not. Mandalore got a successful attack in on him, ergo not 'ownage'. This can be accounted due to the fact Mandalore broke his headgear, and sent him flying. I've never denied that it wasn't impressive, in fact, I've used the feat far more than you, and before you; but, again, "ownage" it was not.

No, the narration is as official as the pictures themselves. The omniscient (in other words, "all knowing", and since you seem incapable of understanding what that means, I'll tell you: whatever it says is indisputable, since it knows everything) narrator isn't a professional wrestling commentator.

Which is irrelevant, because he was still successfully attacked.

That's not the point, and what I said would stand regardless of if the fight lasted the entire movie. You were picking and choosing specific parts of the battle to support your statement that Ulic "pwned Mandalore". That's the equivalent of me leaving out the fact that Darth Sidious put an offensive fighter on the defensive, and only acknowledging Mace Windu's kick that disarmed him.

Why do you continue to lie? And then go even further, and contradict yourself in the very next sentence?

When they fought, Ulic didn't "own" him. That's my entire point, and you initially said the opposite happened; which, again, isn't true.

The material doesn't show Qel-Droma being able to capitalize on the situation, and the narration is in my favour. In fact, on the next panel, we see them both standing on the chains.

Why would Ulic wait for an attack if he already had an opening? He wouldn't, as there are certainly ways he could've handled the situation non-lethally.

Fine by me.

I really don't care too much that you see what you want to see, insomuch as it's clearly not the case. Explain what "the outcome hangs in the air" means. There's really no other way around my elaboration, as if the battle was in Ulic's favour, the outcome itself wouldn't be in murky waters.

And? The entire bout itself wasn't 'pwnage', 'ownage', or any form of the word, which was your original claim.

Irrelevant misdirection, much?

I don't recall mentioning Kas'im whatsoever. So, I don't see how this has anything to do with what I'm saying; don't add it in a point that's being addressed to me if it has nothing to with me.

You must've missed the part where Ulic had a lightsaber, which cuts through almost any material.

I'd love to see Mandalore destroy a basilisk war droid with an axe akin to that of what King Arthur's blacksmiths would've made.

What does it matter?

Will I admit that Ulic "pwned" Mandalore? No, because that's incorrect, and almost all of your statements up to this post have implied, or directly stated he did such.

darthsith19
It's riduculous that you don't think a one hit win is ownage just because of what the narrator says. How is a one hit win not ownage? Just because Mandalore got a hit in when Ulic was using no weapons doesn't change the afct that Ulic won in a single hit withw eapons, even though he had the disadvantage.

Advent
It's riduculous that you don't think a one hit win is ownage just because of what the narrator says.

Just because of what the narration dictates? I laughed out loud.

Again, why do you continue misrepresent my position? And then go even further, and contradict yourself in your following sentences?

That's how.

I'm basically repeating myself by saying that you're picking and choosing specific parts of the battle to support your claim. If you look at the entire battle, it. was. not. 'ownage'. Moreover, it wasn't as if the battle was:

*ding the bells rings*

JR: Bah Gawd, Kang! What two great competet--

*Ulic Qel-Droma kicks Mandalore's ass without problems*

King: What was that, JR?

Mandalore turned Ulic into a cliff diver. I don't know you're so eager to say "z0mg airvent! he wuz teh unarmed!!!//!!", because it still doesn't disregard what is shown, which is: a) Mandalore getting a successful strike in, and b) that it was Ulic's own arrogant choice, meaning since he opted to fight unarmed, and started losing - it's his fault, and counts towards the deciding "word" for describing the battle.

It changes the fact that it wasn't "ownage".

Really, there's no point in continuing the argument if you're not going to properly acknowledge the entire fight, narration, and on panel evidence included. As I said, I don't really care too much if you see what you want to see, as it's clearly not the case.

darthsith19
The armed fight was ownage. That pic was the unarmed fight. What you talked about was the unarmed fight. Ulic won't be fighting Kas'im without a weapon, so the unarmed fight doesn't matter, and what I said is still true, that the armed fight was Ulic, one-hit ownage.

Advent
The armed fight was ownage. That pic was the unarmed fight.

You were talking about the entire battle. You cannot say that Ulic "pwned Mandalore", because he didn't, and that type of wording implies that's what happened throughout the entirety of the match.

Irrelevant, much?

What I was addressing was the fact you were under the impression the full engagement was Qel-Droma beating the shit out of Mandalore. The unarmed portion of the duel is completely relevant to that.

It doesn't matter if Ulic did this or that after or before, because the fact remains: he was still effectively put on his ass.

Irrelevant misdirection, much?

I don't recall mentioning Kas'im whatsoever. So, I don't see how this has anything to do with what I'm saying; don't add it in a point that's being addressed to me if it has nothing to do with me.

Despite pwning Mandalore

And he did kick Mandalore's ass. Look at your pic again. Ulic puts away his lightsaber and fights Mandalore unarmed and still matches him.

On the ground? Of course they are standing on the ground. What has this got to do with Ulic owning Mandalore?

That's ownage, despite what Mandalore did when ulic was unarmed.

This is a collection of what you said, which clearly indicates you would consider the whole thing "ownage" on Ulic's part. That's wrong, as I've shown, and I could care less what you have to say when it comes to specific parts of the duel, or when you want to chalk your side up to the time he was "armed" only (when just before you clearly show you're referring to the whole shabangabang).

darthsith19
I admit that i was originally talking about he entire fight, but I'm not anymore. I now admit that the fight as a whole wasn't ownage, but still think that the armed battle was ownage in Ulic's favor.

Borbarad
Advent...

As long as Ulic had a weapon in hand he did kick the living shit out of Mandalore with apparent ease. That's obvious. After Ulic took Mandalore out of the air (with a single movement) he first gave him time to get a new weapon. Then he threw his own weapon away to give Mandalore a fair fight and Mandalore surprised him. That's what I call a "cheap shot".

Or let me put it like this. Using the force, Ulic could have easily killed Mandalore without even drawing his weapon. That would have been total ownage. Using his lightsaber in melee combat, he would have totally wiped the floor with Mandalore who's weapon / armor weren't a match for a lightsaber. Again the result would have been ownage.

That one single hit Mandalore managed to land on an unarmed an unprepared Ulic Qel-Droma would never have happened if Ulic hadn't sacrificed all his advantages to give Mandalore a "fair" fight. And it wouldn't have happened if Ulic had a weapon in his hand which is pretty apparent considering how he owned Mandalore with two actions basically.

As this is quite clear, I don't see why anybody should actually care about that hit.

Back to the topic:
Kas'im goes down. That he was the best in an era of relative weaklings doesn't really mean much to me. Bane managed to defeat him and Bane was below RotS Sidious where Kun (according to Kevin J. Anderson) is on par with DE Sidious. That actually gives us some nice clue how powerful Ulic was compared to Kas'im. An "astonishing transformation" which made the dude "ripple with Dark Side energy" when he was already quite the powerful Jedi before (owning - YES ! - Warb Null and Ommin, stalemating Kun) should be quite enough.

Saberwise Kas'im has more knowledge about styles, yes. I don't think that would help him much against a prodigious lightsaber wielder, equipped with an huge amount of force power and a deadly Sith amulet.

Darth_Glentract
When did Anderson ever state that Exar is DE Sidious' equal?

Darth Sexy
Originally posted by Borbarad
Back to the topic:
Kas'im goes down. That he was the best in an era of relative weaklings doesn't really mean much to me. Bane managed to defeat him and Bane was below RotS Sidious where Kun (according to Kevin J. Anderson) is on par with DE Sidious. That actually gives us some nice clue how powerful Ulic was compared to Kas'im. An "astonishing transformation" which made the dude "ripple with Dark Side energy" when he was already quite the powerful Jedi before (owning - YES ! - Warb Null and Ommin, stalemating Kun) should be quite enough.
KJA never stated anything to that degree, DE Sidious is miles ahead of everybody. Furthermore, POD calls Kas'im possibly the greatest swordsman ever. Bane DIDNT defeat Kas'im with the saber, in fact Kas'im defeated Bane again with the saber, then Bane collapsed the temple on him. Having more saber knowledge than Yoda gives Kas'im a victory over Ulic.

Since when was the sith amulet ever used in a saber fight? Irrelevant.

darthsith19
I, too, would like to knew when KJA said tht Kun = DE Sidious.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.