Crown procecuting.(Genius program Question from oxford university)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sexyking
Ok who can solve this scenario you are representing the crown court and are procecuting a company under gross negligence. The facts of the case is Mrs Johnson was walking down the stairs of the Hotel when she triped on a piece of torn stair carpet and fell heavily breaking her arm. Now the crown is going after the hotel under the criminal act saying it was gross negligance. Now which laws have the hotels broken state two laws which you can procecute them under.

This was in a genius testin program the kid who solved it Brad Tate did it in under 5 minutes who can do better i have already solved it in under 10, not bad hey.

Victor Von Doom
'Prosecuting', and 'negligence'.

Good job it wasn't a genius spelling test.

Also, sense has been lost at some point.

snoochyboochies
This is one you either know or you don't. Not many have expert knowledge in this particular section of the law. Are you sure this falls under criminal law? There's manslaughter by gross negligence but she's not dead and her injuries amount to GBH in UK law. There's no criminal offence of causing GBH by gross negligence. I bet this is going to be some kind of ancient, hardly ever used piece or legislation. By the way all the above means that I have no idea.

Symmetric Chaos
Safety inspection (upkeep of the carpet should have been ensured)
Building code violation (should have been a hand rail so she scould stop her fall)

Supreme being
Originally posted by snoochyboochies
This is one you either know or you don't. Not many have expert knowledge in this particular section of the law. Are you sure this falls under criminal law? There's manslaughter by gross negligence but she's not dead and her injuries amount to GBH in UK law. There's no criminal offence of causing GBH by gross negligence. I bet this is going to be some kind of ancient, hardly ever used piece or legislation. By the way all the above means that I have no idea.

Actually it falls under gross Negligence as the guy below me stated steps should have been carried out to ensure an accident like this never happens. On the laws of suing now thats were it gets hard

Victor Von Doom
It's straightforward under normal tort law.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
It's straightforward under normal tort law.

Could you say that in American?

Supreme being
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Could you say that in American?

laughing x2

jaden101
health and safety at work act: safe standard of equipment regulations

probably falls under corporate liability or vicarious liability laws as well

Starhawk
Originally posted by sexyking
Ok who can solve this scenario you are representing the crown court and are procecuting a company under gross negligence. The facts of the case is Mrs Johnson was walking down the stairs of the Hotel when she triped on a piece of torn stair carpet and fell heavily breaking her arm. Now the crown is going after the hotel under the criminal act saying it was gross negligance. Now which laws have the hotels broken state two laws which you can procecute them under.

This was in a genius testin program the kid who solved it Brad Tate did it in under 5 minutes who can do better i have already solved it in under 10, not bad hey.

I'm not overly familiar with British case history, nor your criminal code. In Canada, the hotel would not be charged criminally at all. The women could sue, but she would probably only get at the very most 50% of her settlement as she should've been watching where she was going.

Supreme being
Originally posted by Starhawk
I'm not overly familiar with British case history, nor your criminal code. In Canada, the hotel would not be charged criminally at all. The women could sue, but she would probably only get at the very most 50% of her settlement as she should've been watching where she was going.

Thats just wrong due to the fact on entering the hotel and the hotel accepting the woman their is now a contract formed between the woman and the hotel. And as it seems the hotel did not provide warning that the carpet was damaged so the woman was under the assumption that all was well, heck a good prosecutor could probably nail them under the trade description act.

Nellinator
We have limits on these things that prevent people from getting stupidly high settlements.

Starhawk
Originally posted by Supreme being
Thats just wrong due to the fact on entering the hotel and the hotel accepting the woman their is now a contract formed between the woman and the hotel. And as it seems the hotel did not provide warning that the carpet was damaged so the woman was under the assumption that all was well, heck a good prosecutor could probably nail them under the trade description act.

As I said, I am not familiar with UK law. But in Canada they could not be charged criminally. And we have changed our civil system so that both the hotel and the woman are apportioned blame.

Devil King
Originally posted by sexyking
fell heavily breaking her arm.

How does one fall heavily? For that matter, how could one heavily break their arm?

Victor Von Doom
Could you say that in American? Originally posted by Supreme being
laughing x2

Civil law.

Of a sort.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Devil King
How does one fall heavily? For that matter, how could one heavily break their arm?

confused

Heavily can mean to "as if carrying a great weight". In this case refering to falling with great force.

Devil King
confused

Heavily can mean to "as if carrying a great weight". In this case refering to falling with great force.

Yeah, I know what the term havily means. I've just never heard it used in such a manner. What, did she have a refrigerator strapped to her back?

Symmetric Chaos
Yeah, I know what the term havily means. I've just never heard it used in such a manner. What, did she have a refrigerator strapped to her back?

Do you really have to critique the guy's writing style? "Fell heavily" is a perfectly acceptable use of words.

Devil King
Do you really have to critique the guy's writing style? "Fell heavily" is a perfectly acceptable use of words.

Do I have to? No. But I did, and I would again.

Symmetric Chaos
Do I have to? No. But I did, and I would again.

. . . confused . . . you monster?!?!

Devil King
. . . confused . . . you monster?!?!

Thank you.

Victor Von Doom

That's basically the reason the word is used: to suggest a fall in a heavy manner.

It's not controversial.

Devil King
That's basically the reason the word is used: to suggest a fall in a heavy manner.

It's not controversial.

I didn't say it was controversial. I said I'd never heard it used that way before. Is that British?

So, she did have something heavy strapped to her back?

Victor Von Doom
I didn't say it was controversial. I said I'd never heard it used that way before. Is that British?

So, she did have something heavy strapped to her back?

D-did I say it was British?

(and so on).

No, it's English. As in, the language.

She didn't have something heavy strapped to her back.

Here's what I inferred from the use of 'heavily': it was as if she did!

FeceMan
Fatass klutz broke fell down and broke something?

Anyhow, I'm having difficulty deciphering what, exactly, occurred. The original post is rife with grammatical errors that would shame a fifth-grader, so I'm not going to bother trying.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by FeceMan
Fatass klutz broke fell down and broke something?

Anyhow, I'm having difficulty deciphering what, exactly, occurred. The original post is rife with grammatical errors that would shame a fifth-grader, so I'm not going to bother trying.

Quitter.

Devil King
D-did I say it was British?

(and so on).

No, it's English. As in, the language.

She didn't have something heavy strapped to her back.

Here's what I inferred from the use of 'heavily': it was as if she did!

Again, I get that. And when I asked if it was British, I was referring to the use of the word in that context. See, I don't live there, so I am less familiar with some of your terminology and what it means to a British member reading it. Since you are British and telling me it's English, as in the language, I asked the question. And the something heavy strapped to her back part was a joke.

Symmetric Chaos
Again, I get that. And when I asked if it was British, I was referring to the use of the word in that context. See, I don't live there, so I am less familiar with some of your terminology and what it means to a British member reading it. Since you are British and telling me it's English, as in the language, I asked the question. And the something heavy strapped to her back part was a joke.

I don't think it's just British thing. I've seen writers from a variety use that choice of words. I've even met people around here who have used that phrase.

Devil King
And I'm saying it's news to me.

Victor Von Doom
And the something heavy strapped to her back part was a joke.

I got that. I replied in kind.

I just realised who you are, when the subtitle and quote rang a bell.

Seems like everyone is changing their name.

Devil King
Seems like everyone is changing their name.

Yes, I am tragically unoriginal.

chithappens
But who uses slang or domestic jargon in laws?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by chithappens
But who uses slang or domestic jargon in laws?

What?

Strangelove
It's straightforward under normal tort law. Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Could you say that in American? That is American confused

Faceman
This falls under tort, or civil law not criminal law. This would be negligence . The victim would be entitled to compensatory damages.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Faceman
This falls under tort, or civil law not criminal law. This would be negligence . The victim would be entitled to compensatory damages.
STFU, name thief.

Faceman
Originally posted by FeceMan
STFU, name thief. Sue me. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Starhawk
Originally posted by Faceman

I tried to explain that myself. Glad to see someone else gets it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.