No more bad words for rap

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons wants to remove offensive words from the recording industry.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070423/music_nm/usa_hiphop_dc

A righteous cause, no doubt, but na. It's not gonna happen. Unless he wants to tamper with violating the constitution.

I say if you don't wanna hear or read swear words in rap the don't listen to it or read it.

Bam problem solved.

JacopeX
In my opnion:

Freedom of speech is being eliminated so that is pretty much it.

But, they should really ban all explict lyrics that are just unecessary. The N word is up to them, I have no saying on that part.

RedAlertv2
Thing is, you cant define "unnecessary."

Deathblow
Dumb idea.

vintageSW77
How about removing commercial RnB and Hip Hop from the recording industry

Thats a cause that gets my nod

Cory Chaos
The words "commercial" and "Hip-Hop" to me are like water and oil, so I'm all for that separation.

That said, he only cited three words if you read the article. It's more of a call to arms in the "Hip Hop" industry to clean up their act. If anyone actually took this to heart, and it was reflected in their music, I'd be satisfied. There's no place for mysogeny or racism in music, especially as nonchalantly as the phrases are tossed around in a rapper's lyrics.

Quiero Mota
Then its just not rap anymore.

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
I say if you don't wanna hear or read swear words in rap the don't listen to it or read it.

Yeah, no shit. its no different then avoiding an R-rated movie.

Originally posted by Cory Chaos
There's no place for mysogeny or racism in music, especially as nonchalantly as the phrases are tossed around in a rapper's lyrics.

Yeah, a lot of people claim that rap is nothing but putting-down women and and talking about violence and shit, and as much I hate to admit it; they have a point. All rappers dont say that stuff, but enough do it, so its not a farfetched claim.

-----

I love your sig, homes. cool Although, I dont think white does that Ponnie justice. Black or silver would be more suitable colors. And maybe some vinyls on the rear panel.

eyeless302
im not a fan of rap but.......if your gonna single out rap.....u have an issue that probably does NOT pertain to the music itself.....most METAL bands say worse stuff than a lot of rappers do....besides.......theres a freedom of speech involved...

Bam problem solved.

exactly

Originally posted by vintageSW77
How about removing commercial RnB and Hip Hop from the recording industry

Thats a cause that gets my nod

dude i understand that u dont like rap but u dont gotta be a dick about it....i...also dont like it...but as you can see...i still care about music

Alpha Centauri
Hold on, most metal bands?

Where are we getting this from?

-AC

souvinir
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Hold on, most metal bands?

Where are we getting this from?

-AC

its the kind of music I listen to...im saying if your gonna take swearing out of one kind of music u should take it out of all kinds

Alpha Centauri
I was just replying to Eyeless saying "Most metal bands.".

-AC

souvinir
I was just replying to Eyeless saying "Most metal bands.".

-AC

eyeless is my alt

Alpha Centauri
You'll get banned if you get caught.

Anyway, why say most metal bands? That's an unfair generalisation.

-AC

souvinir
You'll get banned if you get caught.

Anyway, why say most metal bands? That's an unfair generalisation.

-AC

unfair generization?..i said most and im talkin about REAL metal

Impediment
What's your definition of "real metal", sir?

vintageSW77
Originally posted by eyeless302

dude i understand that u dont like rap but u dont gotta be a dick about it....i...also dont like it...but as you can see...i still care about music

rap peaked in 92 and has been going round in circles since
the beats were always based on the past but nearly 30 years on since Flash its the same as it ever was
its ok if your new to the scene i spose but after a decade or so its stale as ****
its responsible for a nation of ****wits in baseball caps an all

its funny how now that Simmons has made his millions from rap that he now wants a ban on b1tch n1gger and i assume ho
how about one in 86 Russel when you put together the Beastie Boys Licsensed to Ill tour

Cory Chaos
Originally posted by souvinir
its the kind of music I listen to...im saying if your gonna take swearing out of one kind of music u should take it out of all kinds

Curse words, again, aren't what's in question. It's the racism/misogyny angle.

Originally posted by vintageSW77

its funny how now that Simmons has made his millions from rap that he now wants a ban on b1tch n1gger and i assume ho
how about one in 86 Russel when you put together the Beastie Boys Licsensed to Ill tour

He made his fortune on Hip Hop. Def Jam, first and foremost, has always been a Hip Hop label. When he left and sold his share in '99 is when things turned ugly in the genre. He was hardly involved in the everyday functions of the company, having focused more on his clothing line and the other "Def" branches, like poetry and stand up.

I'm not following on your Beastie Boys point, though. That was their only album with Def Jam, it was produced by Rick Rubin, and they toured on that ablum for like 3 years with RUN-DMC and LL Cool J. I don't remember ANY of those groups having objectionable material at the time.

Pezmerga
I disagree with Banning Explicit Lyrics, but I do think sometimes it is overused. Curse words dont make music any better, they just sound contraversial, and have shock factor.

And Racist lyrics just need to go period.

Alpha Centauri
I personally don't find it shocking when I hear swearing.

-AC

Punkyhermy
how about "no bad words" in music period?
roll eyes (sarcastic)

this country blows the horns of the semi-thought out concept of freedom of speech and in doing so has forgotten all about every individual's very natural right to freedom from speech.

Eccentric
Now a days bad words are an everyday thing and it is not just music that influences this. If you want to take it out music, you should take it out of other forms of entertainment too.

Normally when you buy a CD consisting of rap that has bad words in, it has a warning on the cover, so it is not like you don't have a choice.

But yeah, rap shouldn't be targeted, you can't just take it out of rap and not out of other types of music.

vintageSW77
Curse words, again, aren't what's in question. It's the racism/misogyny angle.

He made his fortune on Hip Hop. Def Jam, first and foremost, has always been a Hip Hop label. When he left and sold his share in '99 is when things turned ugly in the genre. He was hardly involved in the everyday functions of the company, having focused more on his clothing line and the other "Def" branches, like poetry and stand up.

I'm not following on your Beastie Boys point, though. That was their only album with Def Jam, it was produced by Rick Rubin, and they toured on that ablum for like 3 years with RUN-DMC and LL Cool J. I don't remember ANY of those groups having objectionable material at the time.

Simmons was the Beasties manager and had no qualms in them wanting to release their first album with the title DONT BE A ****** before they backed down and changed it to LICENSE
and i guess you must have missed the massive inflatable penis and the dancing girls in cages as part of The Beasties set on that tour an all

Cory Chaos
While I had the cassette when it was released, I was only 8, so no concert for me. I read about it, however. Russell Simmons was hardly as business minded, much less mature as he and the Beastie Boys are now. Besides, political correctness, even in using a word out of context, wasn't even a thing back in the day.

FistOfThe North
Russel Simmons was on CNBC last night talking about this topic. About how he mainly wants to only take ban/censor the words "n*gg*r", "h**", and "b*tch" from rap music.

Well i say good luck wit that.

Alpha Centauri
I can see why he'd wanna ban the first one, I think everyone can see why he'd want to, regardless of if they agree or not, but the others...I don't get it.

Hoe is used with different levels of seriousness. Some MCs actually feel women are hoes, then you get Redman saying it, and it's clearly meant in humour.

***** isn't necessarily used to degrade women, so in that case it's "I dislike this word, let's ban it.".

What's he trying to achieve?

-AC

~Flamboyant~
From what I know about Hip Hop, foul words have always been a part of it. I feel that there is nothing wrong with this. Artists have a freedom of expression, and shouldn't be denied this by record companies. I would also see it as causing record companies to lose money. Who would want to listen to Hip Hop without foul words?, is the way I see it. (I'm talking about the mainstream crowd)

Alpha Centauri
As far as I see it, it depends on how they're used.

If it's just casual, like saying any other word, whatever, but if you're specifically trying to swear, you might as well stop.

-AC

FistOfThe North
Well i think you should be able to say whatever you want especially in art.

And as I said earlier, if you don't want to listen to or read it then don't bother with it. Parents are the ones complaining the most and yet are the ones whom are most fault for letting their kids listen to it.

But don't ban certain curse words and inconvenience me cause some kid who aren't suppose to listen to it, can't listen to it responsibly.

Cory Chaos
There's obviously a lot you're not taking into consideration. Parents can't monitor what a kid listens to when they're away for starters. Secondly, How would omitting racist remarks be an "inconvenience" to you?

I don't get your responsibility angle either. The "artists" themselves aren't very responsible, considering blatant homophobia, racism, and misogyny aren't exactly "necessary" means of expression. Just ones used out of ignorance to sell an image or lifestyle.

We've all just been numb to it for too long. What Russell Simmons hopes to achieve, as posed earlier, is a sense of responsibility in the "Hip Hop" community, where there's never been a place for this kind of shit....which is why I hate that artists that incorporate it are apparently in the same league as Sugar Hill Gang and every other POSITIVE and RESPONSIBLE Hip Hop group or artist.

FistOfThe North
There's obviously a lot you're not taking into consideration. Parents can't monitor what a kid listens to when they're away for starters. Secondly, How would omitting racist remarks be an "inconvenience" to you?

I don't get your responsibility angle either. The "artists" themselves aren't very responsible, considering blatant homophobia, racism, and misogyny aren't exactly "necessary" means of expression. Just ones used out of ignorance to sell an image or lifestyle.

We've all just been numb to it for too long. What Russell Simmons hopes to achieve, as posed earlier, is a sense of responsibility in the "Hip Hop" community, where there's never been a place for this kind of shit....which is why I hate that artists that incorporate it are apparently in the same league as Sugar Hill Gang and every other POSITIVE and RESPONSIBLE Hip Hop group or artist.

Irresponsible parents can't monitor what a kid listens too. Responsible parents ca, you mean.

And omitting racist remarks? First of all art is the ultimate form of expression where people can say what ever they want, this isn't Iran. And when art, a message, or information is censored because someone who's not suppose to listen to it, listens to it and reacts irresponsibly, then why should i have to pay for that. Why should I be denyed my right "to know" cause others don't want to or care to, or don't know how "to know".

Any form of expression, especially heartfelt is a means of expression.

Don't ban curse words from Rap. And parents, (responsible and irresponsible) monitor what your kids see and listen too. It is perfectly doable, despite what anyone says.

Alpha Centauri
I don't say he's RIGHT for trying to ban these words, I'm saying that surely we can at least see his rationale on words like "N*gger.".

-AC

vintageSW77
Its funny that on the whole black music is the culprit from the use of derogatory names for women in rap and on the other side the anti gay lyrics of the dancehall scene.

Cory Chaos
Irresponsible parents can't monitor what a kid listens too. Responsible parents ca, you mean.

Nnnnno. I meant parents can't always monitor what their kids listen to, not that that is what's being discussed. Emulation is a whole different argument that has less to do with music, which you can regulate, than surroundings, which you can't.

Commercial rap music is as much art as finger-painting. It's not a form of expression, it's making a living. The reason the material should or WOULD be censored is because it's not done out of expression, like I said. They're demeaning phrases thrown around aimlessly and without feeling. To sell records, to maintain a rep. I hardly think it's how the majority of those artists that incorporate the term actually feel. It's out of ignorance, hardly "expression". You think The Game or whoever doesn't think "I just called 50 Cent a ******, yet we're one and the same in our rap personas", and contemplate the fact he may be a hypocrite? No. He does it for show.

See above, last sentence.

Yes, parents. Take your kids out of school because it's the only way you're somewhat safe. Doable, and totally unfeasible.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.