Extreme cults, practices and organisations

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness

Robtard
The only real problem I have is when said 'organizations' infringe of the rights of others/directly harm others. The children aspect is another one though, I feel parents should have a right to raise their kids as they see fit, but it is a "slippery slope" on the child abuse aspect; hard to draw a line were "instilling values" ends and "child abuse" begins as per the law. As far as adults go, if they want to be manipulated, lied to and abused, go ahead; do so and be sheep.

Darth Jello
you have to admit, christian scientists have the best newspaper tho.

TRH
i think it should be mandatory that all children ae taught non hate and evolution

lil bitchiness
I think its strange to deny people learning about evolution. It is kind of incomprehensible to me.

Robtard
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I think its strange to deny people learning about evolution. It is kind of incomprehensible to me.

That's because you (me too) see it as the truth, so we see it as not only denying people of the truth; also replacing the truth with a fantasy-like lie. They feel the same way about evolution, mostly do to fear though IMO.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard
That's because you (me too) see it as the truth, so we see it as not only denying people of the truth; also replacing the truth with a fantasy-like lie. They feel the same way about evolution, mostly do to fear though IMO.

This is the main difference: Evolution can be disproved, but religion cannot be.

JacopeX
People think all religious people are like this but it is totally the opposite and the reason why religions hate each other in this world is due to EXTREMISM. Period. End of story.

Quiero Mota
Considering that we have a very high regards to freedom or religion

Who's "we"??

Westboro Baptist Church

They arent even a church. They're an extended family (a clan basically) of 90 people who live in a compound in Kansas who annoy people for a living. No Baptist church in the world recognizes them as one.

Robtard
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
This is the main difference: Evolution can be disproved, but religion cannot be.

Disprove Evolution then... granted, there are holes that still need to be filled in and I'm certain many things will be rethought and reevaluated as science and technology progress, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Religion is no different, if there are solid facts that go against religious dogma i.e. the Earth only being 6k years old, every living thing that every existed living in the same time period etc. etc. etc., then by default, religion or more precisely certain aspects of religion become "disproved".

Shakyamunison
Disprove Evolution then... granted, there are holes that still need to be filled in and I'm certain many things will be rethought and reevaluated as science and technology progress, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Religion is no different, if there are solid facts that go against religious dogma i.e. the Earth only being 6k years old, every living thing that every existed living in the same time period etc. etc. etc., then by default, religion or more precisely certain aspects of religion become "disproved".

I think you misunderstood me. I consider the fact that something is disprovable to be a strength, and something that is not disprovable to be a good reason for it to be untrue.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I consider...something that is not disprovable to be a good reason for it to be untrue.

Why?

TRH
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Who's "we"??

They arent even a church. They're an extended family (a clan basically) of 90 people who live in a compound in Kansas who annoy people for a living. No Baptist church in the world recognizes them as one. to bad that is there name

Shakyamunison
Why?

If something cannot be disproved, it cannot be proved.

If I have a box and I say there is gold in this box. I have to be able to open the box and show you that there is gold or not. You can open the box and disprove if there is gold in the box. If the box cannot be opened in any way, then you cannot prove or disprove if there is gold in the box.

lil bitchiness
Who's "we"??

They arent even a church. They're an extended family (a clan basically) of 90 people who live in a compound in Kansas who annoy people for a living. No Baptist church in the world recognizes them as one.

Oh right I forget. And People's Temple, a Christian doomstday cult, is recognized by Vatican?

Cults and sects are NOT recognized by anything or anyone else. The whole point is that they have separated themselves from EVERYONE else, which is the essence of a cult.
It doesn't matter if it has 90, 900 000 members.

WrathfulDwarf
If I got this right...the three most major religions in the world started as cults. So, if we do give freedom of religion..then most certainly freedom for these cults should also be given.

However, the laws of the land still apply here...this most likely would be settle in a courtroom and the representatives would have to prove that they're willing to be bound by the laws of the state.

Doesn't move into a political issue but more a state judicial matter.

muslimscholar

TRH
Originally posted by muslimscholar
you are wrong again lil b thats the motto of every real muslim thats because youre all a cult

Alliance
haermm

Quiero Mota
Oh right I forget. And People's Temple, a Christian doomstday cult, is recognized by Vatican?

Cults and sects are NOT recognized by anything or anyone else. The whole point is that they have separated themselves from EVERYONE else, which is the essence of a cult.
It doesn't matter if it has 90, 900 000 members.

Yep. Adding the word "Church" to your little group's name doesnt make it one.

Goddess Kali
Lil B i like ur avatar

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
If I got this right...the three most major religions in the world started as cults. So, if we do give freedom of religion..then most certainly freedom for these cults should also be given.

However, the laws of the land still apply here...this most likely would be settle in a courtroom and the representatives would have to prove that they're willing to be bound by the laws of the state.

Doesn't move into a political issue but more a state judicial matter.

I never condemed cults. It is only those which are potentialy dangerous. Should there be rules?

If you go around telling people that if they kill themselves they will be transported to a spaceship, or something along those lines, you are potentially endangaring the lives of those people.
Should there be a rule on such thing, or not?

Potentialy suicide is illegal. Or what ebout cults which are blatantly abusing children involved with it. Either by installing hate, or by blindfolded meditation, I spoke of above.

People's Temple killed children as they thought one of the babies was incarnation of anti-christ, or something. How far is freedom of religion going too far, if an essence of a cult is to kill yourself with bunch of other people, and wait to be transported to a spaceship.

Alfheim
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
Lil B i like ur avatar

Me too actually.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
Lil B i like ur avatar Originally posted by Alfheim
Me too actually.

Thank you boys big grin

Atlantis001

They feel the same way about evolution ? I think they are just stubborn. If there is a truth, then that truth should prevail. Freedom of religion sometimes seems to imply that we are free to ignore the truth if there is one.

WrathfulDwarf
I never condemed cults. It is only those which are potentialy dangerous. Should there be rules?

If you go around telling people that if they kill themselves they will be transported to a spaceship, or something along those lines, you are potentially endangaring the lives of those people.
Should there be a rule on such thing, or not?

Rules or laws should be there lil. As I said these cults must follow the civil laws that protect citizens from any harm. Including engagin in acts that could harm them or others.

I still feel that this should be a case in which the laws of the state must be enforced. Or the matter should be resolved in a court of law.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.