Potentially Habitable Planet Found

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarkCrawler
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070425/ap_on_sc/habitable_planet

Pretty awesome, eh? big grin

queeq
They never actually SAW the planet, they just conclude by variations of the star that there's a planet there. All in all, it doesn't mean anything.

debbiejo
*Packs bags*

I think I'll plant a tree. wavey

Bardock42
Planet found....Kryptonite found....IT'S LINKED!!!

vintageSW77
nah its not worth it

grey fox
The gravity is too high, plus without some serious upgrade upon our current space-travel tech it would take nearly a thousand years.

ThePittman
Well we are going to need to get off this rock someday pitt_nuts

Eccentric
Yeah cause in like 50 years most low land areas will be covered in water. sad

Eccentric
Damn lag. :/

grey fox
Originally posted by Eccentric

ZOMG ! It'll be like Waterworld ...except ..you know, kinda not-shit.

Eccentric
Rofl, that land is mostly used for agriculture, without it we'll die of starvation! Not really but yeah.

Devil King
Originally posted by queeq
They never actually SAW the planet, they just conclude by variations of the star that there's a planet there. All in all, it doesn't mean anything.

This is how planets are found all the time.

Originally posted by Bardock42

Conspiracy forum.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Devil King

Conspiracy forum.

I don't have to take this shit from you, Kal-El

Devil King
I don't have to take this shit from you, Kal-El

THAT'S IT! Into the mirror dimensional thingy with you.

WrathfulDwarf
It's call The Phantom Zone....

...just giving you a taste of us comic book geeks. raver

Devil King
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
...just giving you a taste of us comic book geeks. raver

Well, I love comic books, but I'm pretty specific in my tastes. I'm mostly an X-Men/Batman fan...and Star Wars of course.

queeq
Originally posted by Devil King

Yes I know. But the conclusions that it's like earth are kinda far-fetched if you have no clue what you're looking at. All they know there's something there, an estimate about distance and that's about it.
And yeah, i't's like the finding of kryptonite.... The found a mineral, it must be from Kal-el's planet.

Faceman
Can we take religion with us?

Atlantis001

Now just superman is left to be found !

Bardock42
Originally posted by Faceman
Can we take religion with us?

**** no!

Faceman
**** no! Wow, then it would be such a peaceful new world.... smile

queeq
Very.

Alpha Centauri

Yeah, and ManBearPig will also eat the children.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf
Wow, then it would be such a peaceful new world.... smile

I seriously doubt that....

Bardock42
I seriously doubt that....

Yeah, me too.

Might be a less ridiculous place though.

WrathfulDwarf
Yeah, me too.

Might be a less ridiculous place though.

We could use it for something else...

Nuclear Testing! Or use it as huge trash landfield! Maybe there is Oil underneath!

The possibilities are great.

Bardock42
We could use it for something else...

Nuclear Testing! Or use it as huge trash landfield! Maybe there is Oil underneath!

The possibilities are great.
It's also ours....Godgiven right and stuff.

Faceman
What nation would this new planet belong to?

WrathfulDwarf
What nation would this new planet belong to?

Whoever puts their respective flag first... wink

Bardock42
Whoever puts their respective flag first... wink I doubt that. It would probably be like the moon....you wouldn't say the moon is US soil, would you?

WrathfulDwarf
Of course is ours!

Wanna park your spaceship there...pay up. We take cash or credit. stick out tongue

Strangelove
No check? cry

smoker4
Mooninites will accept your earth check

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d96/Zerg13/Mooninites2.jpg

Darth Macabre
That's awesome. Too bad none of us will be alive to see it in person.

ragesRemorse
If Neptune werent so cold, it could sustain life, we have a better shot at warming that place up, than leavin our own solar system

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Strangelove
No check? cry

Its 2007; nobody accepts checks anymore.

WrathfulDwarf
Except for Check Cards. wink

Bicnarok
Some more scientific guess work, utter bollocks imo.

BobbyD
Originally posted by DarkCrawler

Pretty awesome, eh? big grin

Yes, very exciting.

smile

BobbyD

Plant a tree! Reverse global warming. big grin

Sorgo X
Yeah, destroy this planet and then move on to destroy another planet.

King Nothing
120 trillion miles away? Good luck reaching that planet.

Vinny Valentine
We'll never reach it.

Starhawk
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
We'll never reach it.

You don't know that for sure Vin. Perhaps this might actually encourage more funding for NASA.

The Overmaster
Man the only thing we really need, that MIGHT be achieveable in our life times is some kind of suspended animation or stasis of some sort that if it doesnt halt aging, at least be able to slow it down. And a semi advanced A.I. that could pilot a ship around potential dangers in space. Now while a huge ship carriing thousands will cost too much, we could send several ships capable of carrying 20 or 30 max, since fuel usage should be minimal. The stasis presumable wouldnt require much energy, but a small solar or some such rechargeable energy source could be used either for all of the pods (bad idea), or small units for each (the a.i. would regulate the thing of course, also a better idea). If this were possible, then I'd sign up for it!

Magee
Nasa have designs for space probes which use the solar power of the sun to reach speeds of up to 10% the speed of light, was on some discovery programe (was also at least 7-10 years ago). Would only take... 200 years. lol.

dsilva
i think findin dis new planet Gliese 581C is jus great. A newly discovered planet is the most stunning evidence that life - just like us - might be out there. they r still doin some research to find if it has water on it.......its 20 light years away and 15 times d size of Earth..... and, most importantly, temperatures are very similar to those on our world. it has a sun it orbits jus like ours though its about 3 times our suns size though not as hot......... about 50 times colder.

GCG
Originally posted by The Overmaster
Man the only thing we really need, that MIGHT be achieveable in our life times is some kind of suspended animation or stasis of some sort that if it doesnt halt aging, at least be able to slow it down. And a semi advanced A.I. that could pilot a ship around potential dangers in space. Now while a huge ship carriing thousands will cost too much, we could send several ships capable of carrying 20 or 30 max, since fuel usage should be minimal. The stasis presumable wouldnt require much energy, but a small solar or some such rechargeable energy source could be used either for all of the pods (bad idea), or small units for each (the a.i. would regulate the thing of course, also a better idea). If this were possible, then I'd sign up for it!

You overlook the maintenance the ship needs. Think how long it would take to reach the planet and the amount of maintenance it would require.

willRules
Plus they are still not definite that it can support life, just that it's possible. I read somewhere that there have been at least 220 occasions where an astronomer has come this close to finding a planet that could support life and the have always been wrong sad

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by BobbyD
Plant a tree! Reverse global warming. big grin

Global warming is irreversible, because it is not human enduced. So plant a tree for shade big grin

Badabing
Originally posted by DarkCrawler

Pretty awesome, eh? big grin I shall claim this planet in the name of..........dur!

Martian_mind
Uhhh....if the planet is larger then earth then we can't live there.

It would have a higher gravitational pull,so wouldn't we be crushed?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.