Hyuck and Katz did Uncredited rewrites on Ep IV

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

EjkoUSC
Did anyone else hear that just prior to production, Gloria Katz & Willard Hyuck did some script doctoring on the script for Star Wars? Lucas mentioned in the annotated screenplay that he gave it to "some friends" to look at just prior to production. And in an interview i read with the husband/wife writing team then claimed they rewrote some of the dialogue to infuse it with more banter.

This would make sense since they rewrote American Graffiti for him and also wrote Temple of Doom. Surely they got paid, but the fact that they didn't get credit is not totally out of the ordinary if they were just making some superficial changes.

Nevertheless I think its safe to assume that alot of the quotes and exchanges we love between these characters would probably be credited to Katz and Hyuck. No way Lucas could have come up with...

"So whaddya think of her Han?"
"Trying not to kid."
"Good."
"Still. She's got a lot of spirit. I dont know, do you think a princess and a guy like me could..."
"No."

Its probably safe to say that ANY LINE you quote from the original Star Wars was written by them. They'd probably feel uncomfortable boasting that much of what we love was their contribution. Anyways, anyone else hear this? I wouldn't be surprised to see this fact presented in the new Making of Star Wars book.

Alliance
I dunno, I quote a hell of alot of lines from Star Wars...even the stupid ones, which have to be written by Lucas.

queeq
laughing out loud

Willaume

queeq
Maybe. Maybe the new book will reveal all.

EjkoUSC
How many quotables do you find in the prequels? Stilted flat dialogue. Lucas was far less collaborative on those scripts. The only contributors to the prequel scripts were Jonathan Hales (ep II) and POSSIBLY Tom Stoppard (ep III). Lucas is not a great dialogue writer. Hes notoriously bad according to francis ford coppola, Harrison Ford, himself etc. His lines are virtually un-sayable (see: prequels). Katz and Huyck and Kasdan were there to make it easier on the eyes. Lucas just doesn't write those great exchanges between characters. Those little things that havent anything to do with plot. Those are my personal favorites.

But yeah Lucas probably wrote the line "may the force be with you". Im just saying if you laughed at all, it probably wasnt him.

queeq
He did. He borrowed it from the Bible though.

roughrider
This was talked about in SKYWALKING, Lucas' autobio which came out in the mid-1980's. Old news.

General G
Missed that.

queeq
Get The Making of SW... it's in there too.

General G
Expensive...

queeq
But great.

General G
I will wait until the book store runs out of copies, then I can order one, they are less expensive that way.

queeq
Cheapskate

General G
Yup.

queeq
Lame.

General G
I am not ashamed.

queeq
You should be.

General G
But I'm not.

queeq
You should be.

General G
And I never will be.

queeq
But you should be.

General G
And yet, for some reason, I don't.

queeq
There must be something wrong with you then.

General G
I doubt it.

queeq
Of course you do... that proves my point.

General G
Or it proves mine.

Darth Subjekt
or neither...

queeq
G has no point... only parts.

Darth Subjekt
i see

queeq
It's rather obvious.

General G
Ouch, those parts have points to them.

Darth Subjekt
but do those points have parts?

queeq
That is the question.

General G
The points are attached to the parts.

Fools.

queeq
If that were so, there wouldn't be a problem.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by EjkoUSC
Did anyone else hear that just prior to production, Gloria Katz & Willard Hyuck did some script doctoring on the script for Star Wars? Lucas mentioned in the annotated screenplay that he gave it to "some friends" to look at just prior to production. And in an interview i read with the husband/wife writing team then claimed they rewrote some of the dialogue to infuse it with more banter.

This would make sense since they rewrote American Graffiti for him and also wrote Temple of Doom. Surely they got paid, but the fact that they didn't get credit is not totally out of the ordinary if they were just making some superficial changes.

Nevertheless I think its safe to assume that alot of the quotes and exchanges we love between these characters would probably be credited to Katz and Hyuck. No way Lucas could have come up with...

"So whaddya think of her Han?"
"Trying not to kid."
"Good."
"Still. She's got a lot of spirit. I dont know, do you think a princess and a guy like me could..."
"No."

Its probably safe to say that ANY LINE you quote from the original Star Wars was written by them. They'd probably feel uncomfortable boasting that much of what we love was their contribution. Anyways, anyone else hear this? I wouldn't be surprised to see this fact presented in the new Making of Star Wars book.

I know when something is written by GL because he uses "what do mean?"

A lot

queeq
Hehehe

General G
Originally posted by queeq
If that were so, there wouldn't be a problem.

There's a problem?

queeq
With you... always. wink

General G
Hehe... sad

queeq
No laughing matter.

General G
Then fix it.

queeq
I'll fix you... wink

General G
eek!

queeq
Good... now I scared him.

General G
Just a little...

queeq
Enough.

General G
It will never work again.

queeq
Oh yes it will.

CLOSING.

queeq
The end

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.