Question for those who claim Hudlin is racist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

masterbruce
Many on KMC claim Hudlin is racist for amping BP up so much, so my question is:

Is it racist for a white writer to amp up a white superhero beyond what he is perceived to be (ie Wolverine)?

BTW, I am not black, for anyone wondering. I just don't like double standards.

long pig
That ****** is racist.

Dude, he's said, and I ****ing quote : "A world compiled of only the chosen people(blacks), would be a world I'd sleep better in."

Man, I'm racist, but not THAT ****ing racist.

xmarksthespot
You're not shitting me are you, my dear piggy? He actually said that?

And no the perception is not that he is racist because he is amping up Black Panther, it's because he is amping up Black Panther because he is black and at the expense of other characters, in addition to constantly putting in racially motivated undertones and comments.

Wolverine is not written up because he is white. And his fans do not like him because he is white.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by masterbruce

Is it racist for a white writer to amp up a white superhero beyond what he is perceived to be (ie Wolverine)?

BTW, I am not black, for anyone wondering. I just don't like double standards. Name a current, caucasian comics writer who said in interviews "I don't see why people don't get it. Black IS COOL right now! In everything but comics, it's in!"

Soljer
Originally posted by xmarksthespot

And no the perception is not that he is racist because he is amping up Black Panther, it's because he is amping up Black Panther because he is black and at the expense of other characters, in addition to constantly putting in racially motivated undertones and comments.

Wolverine is not written up because he is white. And his fans do not like him because he is white.

Co-mother-****ing-signed.

masterbruce
Originally posted by long pig
That ****** is racist.

Dude, he's said, and I ****ing quote : "A world compiled of only the chosen people(blacks), would be a world I'd sleep better in."

I see that as a sad reflection of reality actually.

He's a black guy in a country that's around 70% white with a history of slavery and horrible racism. Sure it's improved leaps and bounds, but he's still a minority and probably encountered alot of racism in his life. So I can see why he would sleep better in a world of blacks.

Imagine you lived in a country that was 70% black and that had a history of enslaving white people, wouldn't you feel more comfortable in a place of only whites in that case?

I don't think it was wise of him to say it, but I don't see that as a very racist statement. He's not saying whites are inferior to blacks, he just saying he prefers to live among blacks over whites.

Validus
I don't think it's the fact that he said he'd sleep better but rather that he called black people the chosen ones. laughing out loud

xmarksthespot
I thought the Jews were the supposed to be the chosen people. Look where that's gotten them...

masterbruce

the fact that BP's hype stands out is because he is one of the few important black/minority characters in Marvel.

You really think wolverine would be as popular if he were black? Prob not. I'm not saying comic book readers are racist, but people tend to identify with others that have something in common with them. White kids may identify with Thor more and black kids may identify with BP more, and obviously since alot more white kids read comics, comics are going to reflect that.

Validus
I thought the Jews were the supposed to be the chosen people. Look where that's gotten them...
Corporate America?

masterbruce
Originally posted by Validus
I don't think it's the fact that he said he'd sleep better but rather that he called black people the chosen ones. laughing out loud

yeah that was a bit over the top...I found that a bit humorous and strange

Validus
the fact that BP's hype stands out is because he is one of the few important black/minority characters in Marvel.

You really think wolverine would be as popular if he were black? Prob not. I'm not saying comic book readers are racist, but people tend to identify with others that have something in common with them. White kids may identify with Thor more and black kids may identify with BP more, and obviously since alot more white kids read comics, comics are going to reflect that.
Anybody who claims to identify with Thor deserves several full force b'tch slaps. ermmhappy

masterbruce
Anybody who claims to identify with Thor deserves several full force b'tch slaps. ermmhappy

how about people who identify with Batman? embarrasment

xmarksthespot

long pig
I see that as a sad reflection of reality actually.

He's a black guy in a country that's around 70% white with a history of slavery and horrible racism. Sure it's improved leaps and bounds, but he's still a minority and probably encountered alot of racism in his life. So I can see why he would sleep better in a world of blacks.

Imagine you lived in a country that was 70% black and that had a history of enslaving white people, wouldn't you feel more comfortable in a place of only whites in that case?

I don't think it was wise of him to say it, but I don't see that as a very racist statement. He's not saying whites are inferior to blacks, he just saying he prefers to live among blacks over whites.
Dude, there is no excuse for how a lot of us act these days. None.

Something like 50% of crimes comitted in this country are comitted by black folk even though they are only 12% of the country? Man, that's bullshit.
Slave masters made us work, they didn't make us criminals.

**** Hudlin. That douchbag hasn't felt a bit of racism in his life.

Validus
how about people who identify with Batman? embarrasment
Maybe if both of their parents were killed and they went on to become the world's most bat-tacular martial artist.

I personally think claiming to identify with comic book characters is pretty ridiculous to say the least.

masterbruce
Maybe if both of their parents were killed and they went on to become the world's most bat-tacular martial artist.

I personally think claiming to identify with comic book characters is pretty ridiculous to say the least.

isn't the reason Spiderman was so popular was because alot of kids identified with him?

WorldWarHulk
isn't the reason Spiderman was so popular was because alot of kids identified with him? Do you think it's because he's white?
That's some discrimination right there.

What you're saying, is chinese, african, purple people can't identify with Spider-Man?
That's bullshit, and you know it.

Also, with Spider-Man, he was a nerd, that became the Spider-est hero ever!

masterbruce

Something like 50% of crimes comitted in this country are comitted by black folk even though they are only 12% of the country? Man, that's bullshit.

I don't want to get into a discussion about the state of black people in US. But there are so many factors that go into something like this that it's not a simple matter to shift blame on anyone.

masterbruce
Originally posted by WorldWarHulk
Do you think it's because he's white?
That's some discrimination right there.

What you're saying, is chinese, african, purple people can't identify with Spider-Man?
That's bullshit, and you know it.

If Spiderman were Asian or black, I really don't think he would be as popular, and Im not saying that racism, its just reality.

long pig
It was a rant. Sorry.

The fact is Marvel gave Hudlin free range with BP SIMPLY because BP is black.
It's like a quota or something.

It's like comic reparations and it makes me sick.

masterbruce
And if we remove black superheroes, are there ANY popular minority superheroes?

UniOmni

Long Pig.......you're black?

*Kelsey Grammer Voice*

"Oh my..."

A fellow negroid@Q@!~~

And while Hudlin is racially inept, BP was created to be the leader of a nation that is ahead of America in everything that matters.

That's his conception.

Hudlin just can't write him without doing to other characters, what Loeb does to other characters in the DCU while writing Superman.

Hudlin gave me House Party and Class Act tho, so i can't hate him.

Validus
isn't the reason Spiderman was so popular was because alot of kids identified with him?
I like to think it was because the writing was good and the character was likable. barker

Validus
Originally posted by UniOmni

Class Act kicks so much ass it isn't even funny. thumb up

masterbruce
I like to think it was because the writing was good and the character was likable. barker

what I meant was that Peter was a geeky socially inept kid, and alot of comic readers identified with that.

long pig
Long Pig.......you're black?

*Kelsey Grammer Voice*

"Oh my..."

A fellow negroid@Q@!~~

And while Hudlin is racially inept, BP was created to be the leader of a nation that is ahead of America in everything that matters.

That's his conception.

Hudlin just can't write him without doing to other characters, what Loeb does to other characters in the DCU while writing Superman.

Of course I'm black. Black as the day is long.

UniOmni
True story

And to LP......

A guy with a blonde kid in his avi, i automatically think might be caucasian.

Soooo.......eat any good watermelon lately?

masterbruce

my spiderman comment was in response to this

long pig
True story

And to LP......

A guy with a blonde kid in his avi, i automatically think might be caucasian.

Soooo.......eat any good watermelon lately?
Nah, he's just my underage "companion".

UniOmni
Cool.

Now about the watermelon....?

long pig
Der's awways room fo' wawttamellun!

TricksterPriest
And if we remove black superheroes, are there ANY popular minority superheroes?

Ben Grimm is jewish. Psylocke is pretty popular. Wolverine. (Canadian is a minority, and given how KMC is, definitely discriminated against. laughing ) Magneto is jewish, Apocalypse is egpytian, Superman is kryptonian (definitely a minority laughing )

and the problem with Hudlin isn't just the amping. It's the making BP win BECAUSE he is black. Like making Dr. Doom a racist, or having him bash people for being racist, when previously they had never displayed racism. Or the armlock.......GOOD GOD, WHAT THE **** WAS MCDUFFIE SMOKING!? I blame that one on Hudlin by proxy.

Name a current, caucasian comics writer who said in interviews "I don't see why people don't get it. Black IS COOL right now! In everything but comics, it's in!"

Btw, if that was Hudlin, someone needs to throw a brick at him. If it was a joke, nm. I realize it was probably a joke, but if he can call Black people the chosen ones, I wouldn't put ANYTHING past him. Hell, I'm surprised he hasn't made BP take on Sentry yet. After all, Sentry would be the perfect poster child for aryan and nazi ideals. Blond, blue-eyed, superpowered and supposedly the most powerful superhero on earth.......

Hmmmm..... shifty I think I just figured out how to get rid of Sentry.

His Airness
I personally see no problem with BP automatically garnering victories because he's black. Maybe comics will follow after the collegiate and professional sporting world in realizing blacks are the most potent and dominant species. ermm

Skeets
Originally posted by His Airness
I personally see no problem with BP automatically garnering victories because he's black. Maybe comics will follow after the collegiate and professional sporting world in realizing blacks are the most potent and dominant species. ermm
no expression

His Airness
Originally posted by Skeets
no expression

What? eat

long pig
Is that why we were slaves for 400 years?

****ing stupid.

srankmissingnin

I agree! Hey... whats that black guys name again... you know... the one who is really good at hockey? Ohhhhhh... thats right. evil face

long pig
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I agree! Hey... whats that black guys name again... you know... the one who is really good at hockey? Ohhhhhh... thats right. evil face
Mario Van Peebles?

His Airness
Originally posted by srankmissingnin

Wait till we learn to skate. eat

His Airness
Is that why we were slaves for 400 years?

****ing stupid.

Whats funny is the Africans whom were sold as slaves were captured and enslaved by other Africans. It wasn't the white man who enslaved us, but ourselves.

It was originally a joke, you don't have flip out.

long pig
Whats funny is the Africans whom were sold as slaves were captured and enslaved by other Africans. It wasn't the white man who enslaved us, but ourselves.

It was originally a joke, you don't have flip out.
I have issues with rage. Crack helps.

Ethereal
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Ben Grimm is jewish. Psylocke is pretty popular. Wolverine. (Canadian is a minority, and given how KMC is, definitely discriminated against. laughing ) Magneto is jewish, Apocalypse is egpytian, Superman is kryptonian (definitely a minority laughing )

and the problem with Hudlin isn't just the amping. It's the making BP win BECAUSE he is black. Like making Dr. Doom a racist, or having him bash people for being racist, when previously they had never displayed racism. Or the armlock.......GOOD GOD, WHAT THE **** WAS MCDUFFIE SMOKING!? I blame that one on Hudlin by proxy.

Name a current, caucasian comics writer who said in interviews "I don't see why people don't get it. Black IS COOL right now! In everything but comics, it's in!"

Btw, if that was Hudlin, someone needs to throw a brick at him. If it was a joke, nm. I realize it was probably a joke, but if he can call Black people the chosen ones, I wouldn't put ANYTHING past him. Hell, I'm surprised he hasn't made BP take on Sentry yet. After all, Sentry would be the perfect poster child for aryan and nazi ideals. Blond, blue-eyed, superpowered and supposedly the most powerful superhero on earth.......

Hmmmm..... shifty I think I just figured out how to get rid of Sentry.

I blame affirmative action, and IMUS.

btw: It'd be kickass to see a crossover where Captain Nazi fights Panther.

Tron
There's not really a problem with Hudlin trying to amp Black Panther up. Personally, I commend him for trying to make BP one of Marvel's top characters (as he should be). The problem is, his comics in general are a little too racially motivated. When you're writing Dr. Doom with even an ounce of racial prejudice (cause he believe's he alone is better than everyone else), then something is really wrong. He's pissing on what Jack Kirby, Christopher Priest, and even Geoff Johns have done with the character, and most other characters he interacts with.

Disappear
Wait till we learn to skate. eat

you mean swim?

Alfheim

janus77
don't see how it's the responsibility of comics to represent prevailing social mores or to present a forum for symbolic redress for past injustices.

Superman et al were the works of Jewish immigrants. their audiences were, for the most part, "white" kids (I don't really think "white" is a good or clear categorisation. the bulk of Israeli Jews are european whites, the majority of Afghans are caucasian (white), Aryan is a common heritage of North India and Northern Europe ...) so they made tacit, subtle and sometimes subversive hints at other identities whilst giving characters "WASP" alter egos.

the BP-Surfer thing stinks because it's stupid. it reduces one of the most powerful and complex characters to a mere appendage... an example of the awesomeness of BP.

the 'dominance', or otherwise, of "Black culture" and the rise of the myth of the "blackman" (again unhelpfull categorisation, Arabs enslaved African tribes, African tribes enslaved other African tribes etc etc so many ethnic conflicts and tribal rivalries... there is no one racial identity, that's pure American propaganda) is part of the corporate sell... and the witting (or otherwise) accomplices are "white". the kids who buy and promulgate the cultural product, be it hiphop, clothes, language, attitude, pose, values ...

perhaps it's to do with the - from my, outsider p-o-v - vanishing of hard concrete European identities and the formation of a synthetic Americana, one that fails to address origins and merely pulls preposterous identities out of its posterior... anyway, demographics wise, it seems the US will soon be part of the hispanic speaking world smile

oh and I'm from the UK. British born and raised, but of Indo-subcontinental lineage smile

marvelprince
Hudlin's writing doesn't bother me because he makes Panther superior. I enjoy reading a Panther that's a few steps ahead of everyone and is usually always right. He's a genuis, and a bit smug so of course he has a superiority complex.

The problem is when Hudlin makes EVERY conflict racially motivated. Every conflict has a note of racial overtones, with Wakanda targeted becase the world is scared of black people and Dr Doom surprised by the resilence of the black folk. The stories can be good, but when a white character (of course) starts acting ignorant the book gets preachy, almost with a "see, white people always look down on black people" kind of tone. Its completely jarring and offsets everything else in the story. T'Challa is supposed to be superior, but if his superiority comes as a result of making all the characters ignorant and due solely to the colour of his skin then its a problem.

Alfheim
Originally posted by marvelprince

The problem is when Hudlin makes EVERY conflict racially motivated. Every conflict has a note of racial overtones, with Wakanda targeted becase the world is scared of black people and Dr Doom surprised by the resilence of the black folk. The stories can be good, but when a white character (of course) starts acting ignorant the book gets preachy, almost with a "see, white people always look down on black people" kind of tone. Its completely jarring and offsets everything else in the story. T'Challa is supposed to be superior, but if his superiority comes as a result of making all the characters ignorant and due solely to the colour of his skin then its a problem.

Id agree with that.

Swanky-Tuna
Mario Van Peebles?
That can't be someone's real name.

Hercules
I think its been said but this really isn't a case of amping, Black Panther should get more respect than he does.

But to make everything an issue of race, thats the issue, the most idiotic think I have seen is the Panther and Surfer thing and Hudlin didn't write that.

Hudlin seems to me to be a very angry guy and hes very angry at white people and that shows through in his writing, everyone is prejudice to a certain degree at the end of the day.

But the question is, should we be letting our prejudices get the better of us when writing a comic book which is meant to take the reader away from everyday issues for a while.

Its a comic book not a political statement, that is why I personaly dislike how Hudlin writes.

Alfheim
Originally posted by Hercules

Hudlin seems to me to be a very angry guy and hes very angry at white people and that shows through in his writing, everyone is prejudice to a certain degree at the end of the day.

You know what, its wrong to feel that way but I can understand sometimes why some black people behave the way they do.

Originally posted by Hercules

But the question is, should we be letting our prejudices get the better of us when writing a comic book which is meant to take the reader away from everyday issues for a while.

No we shouldnt.

Symmetric Chaos
That ****** is racist.

no expression Damn . . .

grey fox
Originally posted by Alfheim

I dont feel that im superior because im black but theres this stereotype that black guys are more athletic got big **** and that threatens some people. Women are no threat.

Hey man , if you have a bigger wang the me I have no problem with that. I'm happy with my own body.

Alfheim
Originally posted by grey fox
Hey man , if you have a bigger wang the me I have no problem with that. I'm happy with my own body.

Bro dont get me wrong. Im not saying its ok to think like that but thats how some people behave, you get me? Some people do feel well and truly threatened by black people (men) in my experience. I dont want to go into detail but I aint making **** up.

Dinalfos
God, the devaluation of the word racism/racist needs to end NOW. People seem to be using it like they use the word '****' or 'whore'. In other words, you no longer have to be a racist to be called a racist. Problems will arise when something TRULY racist comes along, because then people either won't recognize it or just dismiss it as another example of black people victimizing themselves. That would be a very dangerous development.

Unfortunately, Reggie seems hellbent on sweeping the rug under society's feet.

His Airness
How may of you have lived in black neighborhoods or actually interacted with African Americans on a day to day basis? How may of you have lived or even been in the more pore parts of your major cities? Take the time out and do so. You may realize that the world isn't all nice and pretty and while Africans Americans have made leaps and bounds racism still exist.

Soljer
Aren't you like fifteen? Don't preach your wisdom here, and don't think you're unique growing up in a dump. You aren't the only one that's had to deal with the 'ugly, mean' world.

Newjak
How may of you have lived in black neighborhoods or actually interacted with African Americans on a day to day basis? How may of you have lived or even been in the more pore parts of your major cities? Take the time out and do so. You may realize that the world isn't all nice and pretty and while Africans Americans have made leaps and bounds racism still exist. I did I lived in Memphis, TN and iwas the only white kid in my class and trust me Black people are no saints when it comes to their own burdens. erm

Dinalfos
How may of you have lived in black neighborhoods or actually interacted with African Americans on a day to day basis? How may of you have lived or even been in the more pore parts of your major cities? Take the time out and do so. You may realize that the world isn't all nice and pretty and while Africans Americans have made leaps and bounds racism still exist.

Stop pretending that white people don't understand anything. Racism exists among black people as well.

primetiva
I have lived in memphis as well yea not so pretty, and yea people not so nice. i got robbed twice in a 3 month period. how can u say people like or identify with certain comic book characters bc of their race? i surely dont, well it would be hard to find on with my ethnic background. actually i dont even look at a comic book character as white or black or purple or green to be honesty. when u said wolverine i was like wow he is white isnt he? well he is so hairy u cant tell lol. to me they are just superheros or villians. when i think of one character like you said wolverine i think claws, cigar, hair, healing, and kickass but not that he is white. they are all "FICTIONAL CHARACTERS" to quote ben affleck from jay and silent bob lol but yea Hudlin hmmm i would say just maybe yes he is or its just that black pride stuff or power to the people lol. its not what u are its who u are. :P im tried of people saying oh u dont know what its like blahblah i think everyone has been thru some kind of prejudice situation.

Apolloknight
Here's my two cents on this matter....

What are we really arguing here!?

If its panther putting surfer in a "cosmic armlock", yeah, it was crap, I know its crap, the writer probably knows its crap, people who don't even read comics probably know its crap.....but here is a solution.

GET OVER IT.

In a few months, we well probably see Hulk shitstomp a fully powered, Juggernaut, or we might see Cap return to life in the next 10 issues of his comic with some BS magic or tech. Crap things are going to happen in comics all the time. Grow up and get over it. THERE F***** COMICS.

Or are we arguing how reggie is racist!?

Does anybody know that, Hudlin actually turned down the Black Panther three times, does anybody know that Marvel wanted Hudlin to portray Black panther the way he is being portrayed. Did anybody actually take the time to do a little research, and realize marvel wants Black panther to be as well known and popular as...

Gasp

Thor, or Captain America, wolverine, maybe spiderman, or even Hulk and Silver Surfer.

Reggie Hudlin is not a racist, he is however, a race man, he makes fun of blacks, just as fast as points out racism from other cultures.

And I don't see how he is portraying Black Panther wrong!?

Lets see, what are some of his qualities.

Black panther is, Arrogant, Over Confident, he has that "Im above you all" complex, genius level intellect, deep thinker, He right 99% of the time, etc etc etc.

Hudlin did not give panther this qualities, he did not mess up the panther character as most believe, Jack Kirby gave T'challa these qualities, he gave panther the most powerful nation on the planet, he gave T'challa his foundation, Christopher priest took it to the next level, and Hudlins pushing it a little further.

Guess what...............Every new writer, to a new book does this, they get the character and say, what can I improve on, what can I make better.

When Marvel hired him, they said, make Black panther better at EVERYTHING.

So, thats what Hudlins doing.

I will admit this, I do think they are going about it the wrong way, but, it is what it is.

The racism is a whole other subject, My head hurts and I don't really care to talk about it, I will just say this, the truth of racism is its ugly, just look at the forum.

capt it up

BTW, I am not black, for anyone wondering. I just don't like double standards.
sorry wolverine is a abd example. for a number of reason. He not amped up. He a mutant and like all mutant he evolves and has stated up grades. Black panther is a normal man who took a herb. He does not get more powerful nor has he ever been stated to have an up grade.

wolverine is just a bad example to since his only real up grade has been his healing factor. He a mutant the more he uses his power the stronger it gets it makes sense his heal would get more powerful over the years.

black panther has no such reasons and is being amp out of no were.

Apolloknight
Originally posted by capt it up
sorry wolverine is a abd example. for a number of reason. He not amped up. He a mutant and like all mutant he evolves and has stated up grades. Black panther is a normal man who took a herb. He does not get more powerful nor has he ever been stated to have an up grade.

wolverine is just a bad example to since his only real up grade has been his healing factor. He a mutant the more he uses his power the stronger it gets it makes sense his heal would get more powerful over the years.

black panther has no such reasons and is being amp out of no were.

Dude, this not about wolverine, geesh Capt.

Swanky-Tuna
Hmm... I used to live in like the ghetto areas Chicago until I was like ten... but I was kid at the time, so even if I encountered racists I'd probably just think they were mean and/or confusing me with their racist slurs.

Grinning Goku
Good Lord, this is all a matter of 'social reparation.' Hudlin feels he needs to 'represent' in a medium that was (was) relatively devoid of minorities. He thinks the comics industry owes the black community an uber-cool, unbeatable, bad-ass character, almost along the lines of a black Superman. He's going to make the white man pay for all those years of creating Caucasian characters.

His Airness
Originally posted by Soljer
Aren't you like fifteen? Don't preach your wisdom here, and don't think you're unique growing up in a dump. You aren't the only one that's had to deal with the 'ugly, mean' world.

True ignorance spoken. It's baffling to me you believe age is what determines the struggles and obstacles you've faced in your life and if you're young you must keep your mouth closed on a subject you find ridicules. Also, I do not live in a dump. I live in a very comfortable home where one parent is a physician and the other works in management at a local hospital. We are upper-income. However I do know the hard ships and struggles African Americans face as I go to a very poor school, in a more poor area in South Kansas City. I've seen a lot of things that a child has no business seeing, I've heard a lot of things no child needs to hear, and I've been treated in ways that no child deserves to be treated. I fully understand why Hudlin would make a statement such as the one he made.

Never once did I imply I was unique nor did I ask for anyone's sympathy. However I do find it funny that the majority of this board has acted in such a childish and infantile manner over the mischaracterization of an African American character, when the coequal has been done for white characters throughout the history of the industry. The idea that a writer would be considered racist for overwriting an African American character is ridicules.

This is something I know all to well, which is one of the reasons I'm so disappointed in the African American community today. What I do know is that most of you have little understanding of why a black person my have a prejudice.

Grinning Goku
True ignorance spoken. It's baffling to me you believe age is what determines the struggles and obstacles you've faced in your life and if you're young you must keep your mouth closed on a subject you find ridicules. Also, I do not live in a dump. I live in a very comfortable home where one parent is a physician and the other works in management at a local hospital. We are upper-income. However I do know the hard ships and struggles African Americans face as I go to a very poor school, in a more poor area in South Kansas City. I've seen a lot of things that a child has no business seeing, I've heard a lot of things no child needs to hear, and I've been treated in ways that no child deserves to be treated. I fully understand why Hudlin would make a statement such as the one he made.

Never once did I imply I was unique nor did I ask for anyone's sympathy. However I do find it funny that the majority of this board has acted in such a childish and infantile manner over the mischaracterization of an African American character, when the coequal has been done for white characters throughout the history of the industry. The idea that a writer would be considered racist for overwriting an African American character is ridicules.

This is something I know all to well, which is one of the reasons I'm so disappointed in the African American community today. What I do know is that most of you have little understanding of why a black person my have a prejudice.

Quite true.

His Airness
Originally posted by Dinalfos
Stop pretending that white people don't understand anything. Racism exists among black people as well.

Thats your own interpretation of my post. Never did I say that white people as a whole don't understand anything. Basically what I'm saying is that it's ridicules to consider Hudlin racist for writing his comics to mirror how he views the world. Especially when most don't understand why he writes the way he does, and why he may have a prejudice.

capt it up
Originally posted by Apolloknight
Dude, this not about wolverine, geesh Capt.
no but he was sued as an exmaple and as I posted he a bad example. He is black panther are not similar comparing the two is rediculous.

black panther being amp for no reason not to mention his writer loves to bring up the fact black panther is black........who the **** cares what color he is.

The authors should be subjective and not allow such things as some ones race to be a center point in every issue

Symmetric Chaos

What white characters have been played up by writers for the sole reason that the character is white?

Hudlin said that he would feel safer if only the "chosen people" existed. There's prejudice and then there's crazed foamy mouthed hatred.

How can you know what understanding people on this board have of why people are racists of any sort anyway?

His Airness
Originally posted by capt it up
no but he was sued as an exmaple and as I posted he a bad example. He is black panther are not similar comparing the two is rediculous.

black panther being amp for no reason not to mention his writer loves to bring up the fact black panther is black........who the **** cares what color he is.

The authors should be subjective and not allow such things as some ones race to be a center point in every issue

The comparison was fair. He feels that if Wolverine was black, than he would not be as popular. Something that is debatable and may or may not be true.

capt it up
The comparison was fair. He feels that if Wolverine was black, than he would not be as popular. Something that is debatable and may or may not be true.
that not what his comparision was look abck at the first page.

not to mention logan is canadian...........a lot of people dislike canada.

Grinning Goku
And even more dislike the U.S.; what's your point?

SpunkySmurph

However I do find it funny that the majority of this board has acted in such a childish and infantile manner over the mischaracterization of an African American character, when the coequal has been done for white characters throughout the history of the industry. Oh, really? Notify me the next time a white character accuses Falcon, Mr. Terrific, or Psylocke of being racist. Or some other character that has never been shown to be influenced through ethnicity, nationality, race, or plain skin color. Originally posted by His Airness The idea that a writer would be considered racist for overwriting an African American character is ridicules. It's not neccessarily for overwriting him, as it is for highlighting every single black character in comics, and downplaying every single white character, on top of accusing well known caucasian characters of being racist, as well as have every single event this character is involved in be racially motivated.

That's Hudlin.

Originally posted by His Airness This is something I know all to well, which is one of the reasons I'm so disappointed in the African American community today. What I do know is that most of you have little understanding of why a black person my have a prejudice. Are you suggesting that, because Hudlin may have been through events in his own life that were scaring, and/or racially motivated, that he should have a right to take a well known comics character, with a history all his own, and bastardize him because Hudlin has a grudge against the world?

Or that he should be able to portray all of caucasian Marvel to be racist, because he's prejudice?

And, you saying that he rightfully has a prejudice means nothing. Most people who have posted so far have been saying that he is a racist, or is strongly racially influenced in his writing. You saying that he has aright to be that way is pointless.

His Airness
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
What white characters have been played up by writers for the sole reason that the character is white?

Hudlin said that he would feel safer if only the "chosen people" existed. There's prejudice and then there's crazed foamy mouthed hatred.

How can you know what understanding people on this board have of why people are racists of any sort anyway?

There's no need to as white characters are already popular. White Americans are the number 1 consumer of comics, which may explain why 95% of comic characters are white. Hudlin may feel the need to overwrite BP as to bring up the popularity of black characters.

I know exactly what he said and I understand exactly why he would say it. Ask an Arab American the same question and I'm almost positive his or her answer will be identical.

Look at the post, they explain themselves.

His Airness
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
Oh, really? Notify me the next time a white character accuses Falcon, Mr. Terrific, or Psylocke of being racist. Or some other character that has never been shown to be influenced through ethnicity, nationality, race, or plain skin color. It's not neccessarily for overwriting him, as it is for highlighting every single black character in comics, and downplaying every single white character, on top of accusing well known caucasian characters of being racist, as well as have every single event this character is involved in be racially motivated.

That's Hudlin.

Are you suggesting that, because Hudlin may have been through events in his own life that were scaring, and/or racially motivated, that he should have a right to take a well known comics character, with a history all his own, and bastardize him because Hudlin has a grudge against the world?

Or that he should be able to portray all of caucasian Marvel to be racist, because he's prejudice?

And, you saying that he rightfully has a prejudice means nothing. Most people who have posted so far have been saying that he is a racist, or is strongly racially influenced in his writing. You saying that he has aright to be that way is pointless.

I knew it would come to this. Us bickering about whats more racist this or that.

I'll address your post at a later time, I'm cooking right now.

Symmetric Chaos
There's no need to as white characters are already popular. White Americans are the number 1 consumer of comics, which may explain why 95% of comic characters are white. Hudlin may feel the need to overwrite BP as to bring up the popularity of black characters.

Actually Japan is the #1 consumer of comics for all age groups by a rather wide margin (interestingly much artwork in manga borders on qualifying for racist work when nonJapanese characters are protrayed)

The predominance of white characters in comics says very little about the world today. What it does show is that when comics were at the height of their popularity there was in fact a good deal of racial bias. It's hard is financially risky to create a new character which is why the old characters are still around.

I know exactly what he said and I understand exactly why he would say it. Ask an Arab American the same question and I'm almost positive his or her answer will be identical.

Sure . . .

"Once only the chosen white people are left I'll be able to sleep easy at night."
Could you understand why a white person might say this?

masterbruce

"Once only the chosen white people are left I'll be able to sleep easy at night."
Could you understand why a white person might say this?

I can't understand it if a white person said this is America.

But if a white person who had gone through Apartheid in Sourth Africa said it, I could understand it.

SpunkySmurph
I can't understand it if a white person said this is America.

But if a white person who had gone through Apartheid in Sourth Africa said it, I could understand it. Should this give him a right to accuse Doctor f*cking Doom of being a racist?

Soljer
True ignorance spoken. It's baffling to me you believe age is what determines the struggles and obstacles you've faced in your life and if you're young you must keep your mouth closed on a subject you find ridicules.

Yeah, everyone thinks that wisdom is totally unrelated to age. And then they grow the **** up.

Also, I do not live in a dump. I live in a very comfortable home where one parent is a physician and the other works in management at a local hospital. We are upper-income.

Real hard life. Lemme shed a tear for you.

However I do know the hard ships and struggles African Americans face as I go to a very poor school, in a more poor area in South Kansas City. I've seen a lot of things that a child has no business seeing, I've heard a lot of things no child needs to hear, and I've been treated in ways that no child deserves to be treated.

So has EVERYONE ELSE. Life sucks. Then you die.

masterbruce
Should this give him a right to accuse Doctor f*cking Doom of being a racist?

Doctor Doom is a fictional character, so a writer does have the artistic freedom to intepret the character as he sees fit.

Then, it's up to the editors to decide whether to publish it or not.

His Airness
I'm going to make an attempt to respond to everyone's post without being offensive.

SpunkySmurph
Doctor Doom is a fictional character, so a writer does have the artistic freedom to intepret the character as he sees fit.

Then, it's up to the editors to decide whether to publish it or not. laughing

So, you don't believe that it's possible to poorly write a character?

Symmetric Chaos
I'm going to make an attempt to respond to everyone's post without being offensive.

sad But that takes the fun out of it.

stick out tongue

His Airness
Yeah, everyone thinks that wisdom is totally unrelated to age. And then they grow the **** up.

Real hard life. Lemme shed a tear for you.

So has EVERYONE ELSE. Life sucks. Then you die.

Right, old man. smile

Hasn't always been like this, up until a year ago my mother whom was the head of our single parent home, was broke. lets just say my family was blessed.

I bet.

masterbruce
laughing

So, you don't believe that it's possible to poorly write a character?

Of course I do, my post implied it in fact. Many characters have had writers who have have portrayed them poorly...that's what happens when you have different writers having different portrayals of characters.

But you asked me if a writer has the right to do so...and I stated that I believe writers DO HAVE the right to portray a character as they see them...and then its up to editors to decide whether the writer's creation is too far off the mark to publish.

Soljer
Right, old man. smile

Hasn't always been like this, up until a year ago my mother whom was the head of our single parent home, was broke. lets just say my family was blessed.

I bet.

I'm not claiming that I'm some 80 year old sage. I'm still in college, most of the forum knows this. It's not like I hide it.

But, at the same time, I don't act like the sum total of my life experiences means dick. It doesn't. And, trust me, I'm sure your life hasn't got shit on what mine and many people's have.

SpunkySmurph
Of course I do, my post implied it in fact. Many characters have had writers who have have portrayed them poorly...that's what happens when you have different writers having different portrayals of characters.

But you asked me if a writer has the right to do so...and I stated that I believe writers DO HAVE the right to portray a character as they see them...and then its up to editors to decide whether the writer's creation is too far off the mark to publish. Then let me rephrase the question...

Do you believe that Doom was correctly written?

His Airness
I'm not claiming that I'm some 80 year old sage. I'm still in college, most of the forum knows this. It's not like I hide it.

But, at the same time, I don't act like the sum total of my life experiences means dick. It doesn't. And, trust me, I'm sure your life hasn't got shit on what mine and many people's have.

My mistake.... old man.

And what was so bad about your life?

His Airness
Then let me rephrase the question...

Doom believes he's better than all people. It isn't hard to believe that he may in fact be racist.

masterbruce
Then let me rephrase the question...

first, let me say that I never read Hudlin's take on Doom

Now, let me answer your question.

What exactly is Doom written correctly? As he was portrayed in the past?

Comic characters grow and mature with time. Writers reveal more sides of characters all the time...it keeps them interesting when we learn more facets of a character, be it negative or positive.

Doom is a villain, so being racist is not completely unbelievable...whereas if Superman was written to be racist, then that would be pretty out of character as Superman's entire character is about being helpful to all humankind and promoting justice and equality.

Doom, on the other hand, is already a fascist who kills innocents to acheive his goals...is him being a racist so shocking?

Symmetric Chaos
Doom believes he's better than all people. It isn't hard to believe that he may in fact be racist.

Megalomania =/= Racism

Doom think he is better than everyone.

SpunkySmurph
first, let me say that I never read Hudlin's take on Doom

Now, let me answer your question.

What exactly is Doom written correctly? As he was portrayed in the past?

Comic characters grow and mature with time. Writers reveal more sides of characters all the time...it keeps them interesting when we learn more facets of a character, be it negative or positive.

Doom is a villain, so being racist is not completely unbelievable...whereas if Superman was written to be racist, then that would be pretty out of character as Superman's entire character is about being helpful to all humankind and promoting justice and equality.

Doom, on the other hand, is already a fascist who kills innocents to acheive his goals...is him being a racist so shocking? Doom believes himself to be the superior to ALL human life... he holds no prejudice towards insects. Hell, have you read ANY Doom whatsoever?

Just because someones a villain doesn't mean being a racist is acceptable.

Would you be surprised if Lex Luthor was accused of being a racist?

masterbruce
Megalomania =/= Racism

Doom think he is better than everyone.

megalomania does not = racism, but nor does it mean one who is megalomania cannot be racist

masterbruce
Doom believes himself to be the superior to ALL human life... he holds no prejudice towards insects. Hell, have you read ANY Doom whatsoever?

Just because someones a villain doesn't mean being a racist is acceptable.

Is being a racist so inconsistent with Doom's character? What leads you to believe he can't possibly be a racist?

Symmetric Chaos
megalomania does not = racism, but nor does it mean one who is megalomania cannot be racist

It seemed to me that Airness was using it as evidence that he might be racist.

Its rough the same as me saying. "You're wearing orange. You must be Catholic."

masterbruce

No, I wouldn't. Lex Luthor is a evil guy, why should it surprise me if there is another aspect of evil to him?

masterbruce
It seemed to me that Airness was using it as evidence that he might be racist.

Its rough the same as me saying. "You're wearing orange. You must be Catholic."

to me it's like this "you kill innocent people and commit evil heinous deeds, therefore it isn't completely out of character for you to have other character flaws (ie racist, sexist, etc)"

now I agree with you that being evil in one regard does not make one NECESSARILY evil in all regards.

Symmetric Chaos
to me it's like this "you kill innocent people and commit evil heinous deeds, therefore it isn't completely out of character for you to have other character flaws (ie racist, sexist, etc)"

Doom has reason for being who he is. They don't involve race.

This is a genocidal psycho who cried when the TwinTowers fell. He's much deeper than being a superficially evil person.

SpunkySmurph
Is being a racist so inconsistent with Doom's character? What leads you to believe he can't possibly be a racist?

Oh, for f*ck sake...

YES. no expression

You take a character that has NEVER been shown to portray an OUNCE of racism in his ENTIRE CAREER as a character, and out of the blue accuse them of being racist?

YES, THAT'S BAD F*CKING WRITING.

masterbruce
I just don't understand why people are saying Doom CAN'T be a racist. Was it stated somewhere where Doom thought killing innocents is okay but being racist isn't?

I understand Doom hasn't been portrayed as racist in the past. But guess what, race wasn't much of an issue in comics as 99% of the characters are white or look white. So obviously Doom can't show racism towards Reed or Sue or most of the people he commonly deals with.

SpunkySmurph
I just don't understand why people are saying Doom CAN'T be a racist. Was it stated somewhere where Doom thought killing innocents is okay but being racist isn't? You don't get it.

Doom isn't a non-racist because he's morally oposed to it.

Doom isn't a racist because he really couldn't give a flying f*ck whether the people he kills are white, black, or purple.

masterbruce
Oh, for f*ck sake...

YES. no expression

You take a character that has NEVER been shown to portray an OUNCE of racism in his ENTIRE CAREER as a character, and out of the blue accuse them of being racist?

YES, THAT'S BAD F*CKING WRITING.

um, hello, comics used to be 99% white characters (black and other minority characters were rarely used)...assuming Doom is racist, who the hell would he demonstrate his racism on...Reed, nope...Sue...nope...Johnny..nope, you get the idea.

And comics are changing, it used to be more for kids but now it's geared more towards young adults. So many more issues will be tackled in today's comics that weren't explored in the past...sexism, sexuality, racism, global politics...etc.

masterbruce
You don't get it.

Doom isn't a non-racist because he's morally oposed to it.

Doom isn't a racist because he really couldn't give a flying f*ck whether the people he kills are white, black, or purple.

gee, Adolf Hitler killed blacks, gays, whites, jews, germans, russians, everyone who stood in his way...gee he must not be a racist either because he killed all types of people

Symmetric Chaos
gee, Adolf Hitler killed blacks, gays, whites, jews, germans, russians, everyone who stood in his way...gee he must not be a racist either because he killed all types of people

Execpt we know Hitler was racist because he quite literally wrote a book about why he did it.

masterbruce
Execpt we know Hitler was racist because he quite literally wrote a book about why he did it.

and we don't know that Doom isn't a racist

for all we know, Doom could be a sexist, homophobe, etc...

Symmetric Chaos

for all we know, Doom could be a sexist, homophobe, etc...

For Christ's sake.

We also don't know that Superman doesn't have a section of his fortress dedicated to Nazism, homophobia, misogyny and the race war he's trying to start.

masterbruce
For Christ's sake.

We also don't know that Superman doesn't have a section of his fortress dedicated to Nazism, homophobia, misogyny and the race war he's trying to start.

umm....Superman's whole character is about standing for what's right, and what's good in humanity...being a symbol of justice and hope.

all those things you mentioned would completely clash with Superman's persona and character and what he stands for and would make his entire character not make any sense at all.

SpunkySmurph

for all we know, Doom could be a sexist, homophobe, etc... For all we know, Spiderman has been suppressing sexual tendencies for years. It used to be a taboo, but not anymore. Now society's ACCEPTING it. So, if he goes and hits on Luke Cage, would you consider it good writing?

herbhappy Dumbass.

masterbruce
For all we know, Spiderman has been suppressing sexual tendencies for years. It used to be a taboo, but not anymore. Now society's ACCEPTING it. So, if he goes and hits on Luke Cage, would you consider it good writing?

herbhappy Dumbass.

If Spiderman never had a girlfriend...you know what, it wouldn't be implausible.

But we know Spiderman has had many girls in his life...so him being gay would you know, KINDA contradict how he was portrayed.

Does making Doom a racist CONTRADICT his character somehow?

Symmetric Chaos
Does making Doom a racist CONTRADICT his character?

He adopted a Latverian kid. Doom is not himself a native Latverian.

SpunkySmurph
If Spiderman never had a girlfriend...you know what, it wouldn't be implausible.

But we know Spiderman has had many girls in his life...so him being gay would you know, KINDA contradict how he was portrayed.

Does making Doom a racist CONTRADICT his character somehow?
YES

Soljer
My mistake.... old man.

And what was so bad about your life?

If it's not too much to ask, I'd rather not speak of such very personal, very serious things to a complete and utter stranger on a comic book message board.

masterbruce
He adopted a Latverian kid. Doom is not himself a native Latverian.

the Latverian kid was black?

You do know that racism does not equal nationalism right?

Now, if Doom adopted a Wakanda kid, then THAT WOULD demonstrate he ISN'T racist.

masterbruce

YES

how? being a villain means you can't possibly be a racist?

Symmetric Chaos
the Latverian kid was black?

You do know that racism does not equal nationalism right?

Now, if Doom adopted a Wakanda kid, then THAT WOULD demonstrate he ISN'T racist.

Not every person from Wakanda is black.

. . .

Unless they've had racial purges or explicity restrict immigration.

SpunkySmurph
how? being a villain means you can't possibly be a racist? It has nothing to do with him being a villain.
Go read a goddamn comic book.

masterbruce
Not every person from Wakanda is black.

. . .

Unless they've had racial purges or explicity restrict immigration.

ok, sorry my mistake...I assumed everyone from Wakanda was black.

so substitute black for wakanda in my hypo

masterbruce
It has nothing to do with him being a villain.

So tell me why it isn't possible for Doom to be a racist.

masterbruce
It has nothing to do with him being a villain.

btw, I'm NOT SAYING DOOM IS A RACIST.

I understand your point: Doom was never portrayed as a racist in the past, so he shouldn't be portrayed as one today.

Symmetric Chaos
So tell me why it isn't possible for Doom to be a racist.

Well since he's never done anything remotely racist in his life coupled with the fact that he's completly batsh!t insane would make it hard to ever draw the conclusion that he's a racist.

SpunkySmurph
So tell me why it isn't possible for Doom to be a racist. Because Doom has NEVER wasted time being prejudice about such a single, inconsequential thing in his entire life. Doom has NEVER highlighted certain people due to race, nationality, sex, or otherwise, become prejudice towards them with NO LOGICAL REASONING.

masterbruce
Because Doom has NEVER wasted time being prejudice about such a single, inconsequential thing in his entire life. Doom has NEVER highlighted certain people due to race, nationality, sex, or otherwise, become prejudice towards them with NO LOGICAL REASONING.

So this is my 2 final question on this matter:

1) Has Doom never shown racism because

a) Doom isn't a racist

or

b) racism wasn't an issue that appears generally in Marvel comics

2) Since Doom has never shown homophobia, sexism, classism, etc....does that mean Doom cannot be homophobic, or sexist, etc?

SpunkySmurph
it would be out of character

and

it would be out of character.

xmarksthespot
So are we through with the why can't Doom be racist even though there's never been an inkling of racism in his character and throughout his portrayal he's been an equal opportunity megalomaniac, ad nauseum, bullshit? I didn't think the devil chose stupid people to be his advocate.

Swanky-Tuna
Is it racist if you're prejudiced against everyone for being inferior to your might?

xmarksthespot
No. And Doom's mentality has never even extended beyond his individual as far as I'm aware. He is superior to everyone regardless of race, species, gender, nationality or creed. Not the Roma. And not to any specific group.

Swanky-Tuna
Phew, I'm safe then... Heathens!

Sparkz
Ok we should put it this way then, if Doom is going to portrayed as racist he is going to need a reason, you can't just bring in out of the blue, say Wolverine just started hitting on guys, that would be bullshit but if it was explained that he has been a bi-sexual while this was introduced at least you could well accept it even though it would be a stupid move on Marvels part.

Basicly my point is if your going to make Doom racist he needs some sort of explanation, like "I fought an army of black people years ago and they fell easily" At least you could see he had something to compare it to.

Now if they did this would it still be bad writing,? yes probably, but at least you could say it was part of his character now.

Although another point is that why would Doom be racist to one particular group when he feels superior to everyone not just blacks.

Now I hope I made my point clear lol

Alfheim
edit

Alfheim
So this is my 2 final question on this matter:

1) Has Doom never shown racism because

a) Doom isn't a racist

or

b) racism wasn't an issue that appears generally in Marvel comics

2) Since Doom has never shown homophobia, sexism, classism, etc....does that mean Doom cannot be homophobic, or sexist, etc?

You know why its impossible for him to be racist. Look at what Doom said, Doom said something along the lines of "Wakandians are suprisingly durable." This is what I mean about racism towards black people, racists feel threatened by black people because they think they are physically superior.

Why would Doom be in awe of Wakanadians when he has almost beaten the beyonder and ****ed up Asagard?

Symmetric Chaos
Doom said something along the lines of "Wakandians are suprisingly durable."

That was the racist comment?

Alfheim
That was the racist comment?

From what I can remember it was something along those lines. It implies that he was kinda afraid of Wakandians. You see I can see where Hudlin is coming from with this because ive experienced similar sort of things. White people telling me that black people are stronger than white people, these people will then turn around and call me a *****.

Its the sort of thing an insecure racist would say to cover up their insecurities.

Symmetric Chaos
From what I can remember it was something along those lines. It implies that he was kinda afraid of Wakandians. You see I can see where Hudlin is coming from with this because ive experienced similar sort of things. White people telling me that black people are stronger than white people, these people will then turn around and call me a *****.

Its the sort of thing an insecure racist would say to cover up their insecurities.

It sounds more like classic villian dialogue to me actually. Commenting on an opponents abilities.

Plus he said Wakandans. Unless Wakanda tottaly restricts immigration of nonblacks or has the occasional racial purging they're probably not all black. Hell, Doom is a scientist it could very well be him making a legitimate comment on Wakandan defensive tech (like that suit that BP wears).

Alfheim
It sounds more like classic villian dialogue to me actually. Commenting on an opponents abilities.

Plus he said Wakandans. Unless Wakanda tottaly restricts immigration of nonblacks or has the occasional racial purging they're probably not all black. Hell, Doom is a scientist it could very well be him making a legitimate comment on Wakandan defensive tech (like that suit that BP wears).

Bro I think this an appropriate time for me to say "Your not black you wouldnt understand." Bare with me.... everbody has had to recieve racism not just black people but for example racism towards asians is different to racism towards blacks.

It shouldnt be like this but Asians in general get sterreortyped as being weak, black people get stereotyped as being physically stronger. Eventhough Doom talked about Wakandians you dont have to be a genuis to see that Hudlin is using his personal experience of racism and relating it to Wakanda. As I have said to you before people have said to me the same similar stuff that Doom said to BP. As a black person I can identify with this eventhough I think it was wrong for Hudlin to make Doom say that.

Doom has come across people alot more powerful than Wakandians why the hell would he be suprised at their toughness?

masterbruce

This is completely unrelated but:

I've always thought all Wakandians were black. It's not exactly a tourist nation ya know, where people from all over travel to vacation.

It's basically a large powerful black tribe.

Have there ever been a Wakandian who wasn't black?

Symmetric Chaos
Bro I think this an appropriate time for me to say "Your not black you wouldnt understand."

Who said I wasn't black? 313

Bare with me.... everbody has had to recieve racism not just black people but for example racism towards asians is different to racism towards blacks.

Or racism toward whites erm

It shouldnt be like this but Asians in general get sterreortyped as being weak, black people get stereotyped as being physically stronger. Eventhough Doom talked about Wakandians you dont have to be a genuis to see that Hudlin is using his personal experience of racism and relating it to Wakanda. As I have said to you before people have said to me the same similar stuff that Doom said to BP. As a black person I can identify with this eventhough I think it was wrong for Hudlin to make Doom say that.

There are ways to try and get that kind if message out. Destroying the characterization a popular character and basicly defaming an entire race is not the way to do that IMO.

But yes I can see what he's trying to do and I can see why.

Doom has come across people alot more powerful than Wakandians why the hell would he be suprised at their toughness?

Because the things tougher than Wakandians that he's met usually aren't human.

This is completely unrelated but:

I've always thought all Wakandians were black. It's not exactly a tourist nation ya know, where people from all over travel to vacation.

It's basically a large powerful black tribe.

Have there ever been a Wakandian who wasn't black?

I always assumed so. The original tribe would have been all black but once you become a nation there would be some immigration.

masterbruce

I always assumed so. The original tribe would have been all black but once you become a nation there would be some immigration.

Why would anyone immigrate to Wakanda to be a citizen there? Also, Wakanda doesn't seem to welcome foreigners...so it prob doesn't even allow immigration.

Newjak
I personally think the whole BP race thing is totally stupid.

I have a hard time seeing where an all Black Super Advanced Isolated Country really cares about racism. That is where I think Hudlin has really messed up. I can understand Marvel wanting to make BP the their version of Batman.

But honestly when would a King of a Nation filled with isolationists really care about things like race. He never grew up in a race related world why because Wakanda closed its borders long ago.

I also really hate how every European nation in the world hates Wakanda because it is filled with Blacks instead of its vast resources. Seriously last time I checked every nation in the world wanted their resources and I'm pretty sure since they isolated themselves even from Africa that African Nations wanted them as well.

Alfheim
Who said I wasn't black? 313

Well are you? In any case maybe my experiences where different.

Or racism toward whites erm

There are ways to try and get that kind if message out. Destroying the characterization a popular character and basicly defaming an entire race is not the way to do that IMO.

Im not saying its ok you know.

But yes I can see what he's trying to do and I can see why.

Right..so why are we having this conversation?

Because the things tougher than Wakandians that he's met usually aren't human.

Yeah so? Still at any rate it implies that hes seen much more amazing things than tough humans. In any case Hudlin was just trying to make him behave the way some racists do.

Symmetric Chaos
Why would anyone immigrate to Wakanda to be a citizen there?

I dunno. Maybe it's the incredibly advanced technology that puts them well ahead of every other nation?

Also, Wakanda doesn't seem to welcome foreigners...so it prob doesn't even allow immigration.

Those racist xenophobic bastards! 13

Symmetric Chaos
Right..so why are we having this conversation?

I like the sound of my own voice.

Newjak
Originally posted by Newjak
I personally think the whole BP race thing is totally stupid.

I have a hard time seeing where an all Black Super Advanced Isolated Country really cares about racism. That is where I think Hudlin has really messed up. I can understand Marvel wanting to make BP the their version of Batman.

But honestly when would a King of a Nation filled with isolationists really care about things like race. He never grew up in a race related world why because Wakanda closed its borders long ago.

I also really hate how every European nation in the world hates Wakanda because it is filled with Blacks instead of its vast resources. Seriously last time I checked every nation in the world wanted their resources and I'm pretty sure since they isolated themselves even from Africa that African Nations wanted them as well. Bottom of the page

masterbruce
On the issue of every group facing racism, here's my comments:

Yes, white, asians, blacks, hispanics, ALL face racism.

But it's kinda different. One group is in power, the other group isn't.

Whites are in power. Blacks aren't. So white racism against blacks effects blacks more than black racism against whites in America.

Now, if we are in a country that is predominantly black with a white minority, then black racism against whites would have more impact than white racism against blacks.

masterbruce
I dunno. Maybe it's the incredibly advanced technology that puts them well ahead of every other nation?

Those racist xenophobic bastards! 13

They def strike me as xenophobic. I wouldn't be surprised if they were racist.

Alfheim

Whites are in power. Blacks aren't. So white racism against blacks effects blacks more than black racism against whites in America.

Now, if we are in a country that is predominantly black with a white minority, then black racism against whites would have more impact than white racism against blacks.

Are you replying to one of my posts?

I like the sound of my own voice.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Newjak

Now, if we are in a country that is predominantly black with a white minority, then black racism against whites would have more impact than white racism against blacks. You know last time I checked any minority wasn't power. So how can you say that Blacks aren't in powers and whites are.

Shouldn't it be Whites are in powers
Everyone else isn't.

And racism is bad in all forms.

masterbruce

Yeah so? Still at any rate it implies that hes seen much more amazing things than tough humans. In any case Hudlin was just trying to make him behave the way some racists do.

I really doubt by having Doom compliment Wakandians was to show him being racist. there are better ways to do that if it were the case.

masterbruce
Originally posted by Newjak
You know last time I checked any minority wasn't power. So how can you say that Blacks aren't in powers and whites are.

Shouldn't it be Whites are in powers
Everyone else isn't.

And racism is bad in all forms.

yeah I never said any minority was in power...but we're talking specifically about black white racism in this thread.

In America, whites have power and blacks don't, so racism hurts blacks more than it does whites.

In a African country, racism would hurt whites more than blacks.

Of course ALL RACISM IS WRONG, but it's effects is not equal. If you have 10 white racists and 1 black racist in a room, gee, the black racist will feel a hell of a lot more uncomfortable than the white guys.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>