Wet Hot American Summer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

botankus
Let me start off with a review from the Netflix site that is about as dead-on as you can get:

"A sloppy, unhinged hellzapoppin that occasionally hits its targets but more often seems out of control and desperate to please."

Now before all the WHAS groupies come out of their cocoons, let me say this: I Got it!, I got it, I got the whole movie! Nothing was confusing! I got it! I got it! No need for the "either you get it or you don't" excuse for an excuse! Oh, and I got it!

I heard somewhere that "the only thing more obnoxious than WHAS" are people who say "If you don't like it, you don't 'get it'." True!

You know those movies where certain situations sound better in casual conversation than they actually come across on screen? This is one of them. It's such a mess that it seems they had about 800 camp scenarios they wanted to get in the movie, and they chose about 90 of them and just crammed them in there, completely disrupting any sort of flow and resorting to cheap and unsatisfying methods of getting the farces across.

However, there were a few parts which were laugh-out-loud hilarious.

I saw the DVD yesterday, but the first time I saw this, I was reading something while Comedy Central was on. It was the part after Jeanine (camp director) was looking for the phone and the rafters were stuck at the waterfall. I wasn't really paying attention, but honest to God for 20 minutes I thought it was some bad Nickelodeon movie. It was only when they got to the talent show that (casually watching, remember) I realized that it was a parody! Funny, it's about the only stretch of the movie where that situation with me could have happened.

But what the hey, I'll give it a break and put 2 stars up on the Netflix site, because the world needs more parodies! (<--- my own version of sarcasm, BTW).

Solo
I love Stella, but this was pretty disappointing. I must say though, the scene where they go to town and do smack is classic.

manorastroman
town's always fun...even if only for an hour.

i love this movie. there's so much gold..."we're going to be twenty five, i think we can all be somewhere at a certain time!" "no, i have something that day."

Strangelove
One of the funniest, most absurd movies I've ever seen

edwinian
Its hysterical. Not perfect by any means. It could have been MUCH better, but damn funny for sure.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.