Does God have an ego?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Quiero Mota
One of the Ten Commandments is "Thou shall take no idols before Me." On that exact same note, the Koran says "Verily, God has no associates. Do not like other gods unto God. Other sins He will forgive who He will, but he who giveth God partners hath commited a far gone error.".

So in both books, God is basically saying "Worship me and only me!" Does this mean he's capable of being jealous??

What do you think?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
One of the Ten Commandments is "Thou shall take no idols before Me." On that exact same note, the Koran says "Verily, God has no associates. Do not like other gods unto God. Other sins He will forgive who He will, but he who giveth God partners hath commited a far gone error.".

So in both books, God is basically saying "Worship me and only me!" Does this mean he's capable of being jealous??

What do you think?

IMO, the god of the bible is a reflection of the will of the leadership of the people of the time. They wanted control over the people, and domination over how the people worshiped was important for controlling this power.

Evil Dead
something must first exist before it can have a personality. the earth is now 4.7 billion years old........still waiting on proof. I say we wait no more than 1 billion more years, then put all this god nonsense behind us.

Goddess Kali

What do you think?

The Bible clearly states that God is a jealous God

Exodus 20:4-5

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God...

Jealousy is not always a bad thing or a degrading quality, but it is always destructive. You can only be jealous if you care.

lil bitchiness
Every Abrahamic God has all the qualities of a spoiled, jealous child.

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Every Abrahamic God has all the qualities of a spoiled, jealous child.

thumb up laughing

Jim Reaper
They didn't want any competition... The guy with the Odin doll had to be made into an example.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
The Bible clearly states that God is a jealous God

Exodus 20:4-5

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God...

Jealousy is not always a bad thing or a degrading quality, but it is always destructive. You can only be jealous if you care. Yes, God is clearly jealous. However, I disagree that it is always destructive. Even amongst humans it is not and considering God's unique position in relation to us, it is not as applicable.

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by Nellinator
Yes, God is clearly jealous. However, I disagree that it is always destructive. Even amongst humans it is not and considering God's unique position in relation to us, it is not as applicable.

Jealousy, if left unchecked (unsolved), is destructive just like anger and hatred.

The result of God's jealousy left unsolved is Hell....is that not destructive ? Come on ... erm

I was stating that in order to be jealous you have to care. It is perfectly normal to be jealous, for a human, even for a God.

Someone being jealous that you would give another more attention than themself, means they care about you and your devotion/opinion/loyalty means the world to them.

However, jealousy is also the coinside of insecurity. Human Beings, like all animals, are initially insecure, so it's not a huge deal.

But for a perfect God to be insecure suggests he is not so perfect after all.

Nellinator
Not really. You are falsely assuming that God's jealousy is unsolved. In the Bible worshipped false gods and were saved (David, Solomon, etc.).

You're making the false assumption that God's jealousy is born out of insecurity.

Goddess Kali
Not really. You are falsely assuming that God's jealousy is unsolved. In the Bible worshipped false gods and were saved (David, Solomon, etc.).

If I continue to deny God's existance, and worship something else instead, according to your mythology, I will end up in Hell.

That is a destructive result of God's jealousy. Cause and Effect bro.

You're making the false assumption that God's jealousy is born out of insecurity.

All jealousy is born of insecurity.

Nellinator
That is not born of jealousy.

Not really, there are many cases when it is not.

Sadly I must leave now sad We shall finish this later.

Symmetric Chaos

What do you think?

Read throuh Leviticus or Duteronemy (I forget which). There are places wher it doesn't go more than two sentences without the statement "I am the Lord".

Atlantis001

What do you think?

It is a good question and I think that is a big misinterpretation. People have a tendency to interpretate things in the literal way.

Idolatry does not originate from the "jealousness" of God, it means that God is beyond any attemp of interpretation. God can not be reduced to a image(i.e. a concept, an individualized entity, etc), but not a literal image like a statue, idols or something else(like other Gods).

If God can not be reduced to an individualized entity, then God can not have an ego.

leonheartmm
"GOD CREATED MAN IN HIS OWN IMAGE"

according to that, it seems appropriate that he does. the abrahamic god and all the other GODS{of organised relegions} which are categorised as a BEING have egoes. specially the abrahamic god, yahweh, allah, etc. he does many MANY egotistical things, and the very concept of WORSHIP ME OR GO TO HELL is egotistical, ACCEPT ME AS THE LORD. blah blah.

it wud be more accurate to say that "MAN CREATED GOD IN HIS OWN IMAGE" and since man has a self, and hence, selfishness, giving rise to ego, basically men thought out what it wud be like to be in god's position and it was all downhil from there.

Strangelove
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Every Abrahamic God has all the qualities of a spoiled, jealous child. To say nothing of the Greeks, hoo boy roll eyes (sarcastic)

Boris
No, things that don't exist can't have egos.

Nellinator
I think that this troll should be banned.

Goddess Kali
I think that this troll should be banned.

How is he any more of a troll than JIA or Marcello ? erm

Nellinator
Because Marchello and JIA aren't actually trolling. They are talking about relevant stuff to the topic. You may not agree with them, but they are not trolling.

Boris, on the other hand, comes every once in a while with the intent of trolling and never substantiating his claims.

Goddess Kali
Because Marchello and JIA aren't actually trolling. They are talking about relevant stuff to the topic. You may not agree with them, but they are not trolling.

Boris, on the other hand, comes every once in a while with the intent of trolling and never substantiating his claims.

Boris was on topic first of all.

Secondly, Marcello bashes homosexuals, and people of other faiths. He does not debate, he simply lashes out against people with a furiosity that I and very few others can tolerate.

JIA posts the same things all the time, and makes threads about the SAME exact topic all the time.

BobbyD

What do you think?

I suppose it's capable, but what the heck do I really know. ..haven't met Him yet. laughing out loud

debbiejo
I just talked to this certain lady god and she doesn't care. I have the suspicion that's she's pulling the strings... wink

I think I"ll light a candle to her.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.