>>New Memory<< Advice?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Piggle Humsy
I desperately need to purchase new memory for my computer

What information about my computer do I need to know to get the right type of memory?

and where would I usually find this information.. embarrasment

Thank you

happy

doan_m
The foremost important thing that we have to know is what kind of motherboard you are using in the first place. Actually you have to find what kind of sockets your motherboard use to support RAM. Also how much RAM you have at the moment would be nice.

Just for the record though 1024 mb is standard these days.

LinixCobra
What you need to do is figure out which Motherboard you have first then look up the specifications on what type of RAM it uses.

The main point to know is the RAM Speed or sometimes known as socket type which is classified as PC#. You can sometimes know this by looking at the RAM technology which is most likely 1 of the DDR formats. For example my computers RAM Speed is DDR400-PC3200. After you know that then all thats left to decide is how much memory space you want.

S_W_LeGenD
Like others said, tell us that what motherboard are you using.

Regarding RAM:

Generally there are three kinds of RAM Modules available.

Type 1- SDR RAM
Type 2- DDR RAM
Type 3- DDR II RAM

A 4th type will be revealed in future and that would be DDR III RAM but this information should not concern you at the moment.

A Motherboard can support only one type of RAM. For example: a Motherboard called "Intel D865GBF" supports DDR 1 RAM Modules.

So you must tell us that what Motherboard are you using before we can help you.

Piggle Humsy
ok did you guys all post that on purpose just to make fun of me? confused

I have no clue what that stuff means. blink
I thought my first post would make it clear that I'm not big on the whole computer mumbo jumbo..

motherboard sounds like something out of Star Trek..
and Ram to me is a type of animal..

Ok so after taking a browse on my comp I came across this info..

AMD Sempron(tm) 2400+
1.68GHz, 512MB of RAM

I have no clue if this is the information you wanted to know..

all I know is it says RAM so I thought it might be shrug

if you need other information then you need to tell me how I go about finding it..

Puzzle
Originally posted by Piggle Humsy
AMD Sempron(tm) 2400+
1.68GHz, 512MB of RAM

You can use these types of memory:

PC1600, PC2100, PC2700 and PC3200 DDR unbuffered memory

LinixCobra
ok did you guys all post that on purpose just to make fun of me? confused

I have no clue what that stuff means. blink
I thought my first post would make it clear that I'm not big on the whole computer mumbo jumbo..

motherboard sounds like something out of Star Trek..
and Ram to me is a type of animal..

Ok so after taking a browse on my comp I came across this info..

AMD Sempron(tm) 2400+
1.68GHz, 512MB of RAM

I have no clue if this is the information you wanted to know..

all I know is it says RAM so I thought it might be shrug

if you need other information then you need to tell me how I go about finding it..

How else did you think we can come up with a solution if we dont have any information on what kind of PC you have where the problem comes from in the first place. Thats sorta like saying my car just died but I dont know whats wrong with it nor do I care just fix it.... then you get shafted at the autoshop. Its good to know how the things you use work specially a PC.

We still need to know what kind of motherboard you have. I dont know an easier way to say what we are asking. What you posted was the CPU type and speed and what RAM you currently have.

Originally posted by Puzzle
You can use these types of memory:

PC1600, PC2100, PC2700 and PC3200 DDR unbuffered memory

laughing

Seriously where did you get that from what he posted.

Puzzle
Originally posted by LinixCobra
laughing

Seriously where did you get that from what he posted.

I did a search on the CPU type and it says these are the only compatible memory you can use. ermm And Piggle is a girl. stick out tongue

LinixCobra
I did a search on the CPU type and it says these are the only compatible memory you can use. ermm And Piggle is a girl. stick out tongue

Either way your still wrong. RAM doesnt go by CPU it goes by what the motherboard can allow.

Puzzle
Either way your still wrong. RAM doesnt go by CPU it goes by what the motherboard can allow.

When she posts her motherboard, guaranteed that what I posted will still be correct.

LinixCobra
When she posts her motherboard, guaranteed that what I posted will still be correct.

Considering how most motherboards use PC3200 I tend to agree with you, but just because you post the most widely used ones for a Desktop doesnt mean you were right all along. I could have posted all the RAM types and I would have been right all along also.

Puzzle
Considering how most motherboards use PC3200 I tend to agree with you, but just because you post the most widely used ones for a Desktop doesnt mean you were right all along. I could have posted all the RAM types and I would have been right all along also.

Considering how I didn't post every type of RAM in the first place speaks volumes. All I'm doing is trying to be helpful.

Another way to determine the type of RAM she needs, if she has a pre-built computer from Gateway or Dell you can usually just do a Google search on the type of computer you bought and find all the information right there.

LinixCobra
Considering how I didn't post every type of RAM in the first place speaks volumes. All I'm doing is trying to be helpful.

Another way to determine the type of RAM she needs, if she has a pre-built computer from Gateway or Dell you can usually just do a Google search on the type of computer you bought and find all the information right there.

I never said you did, just re-read my post carefully this time. If she really wants to know what she has in her PC than I sugges she download Everest Home Edition.

Piggle Humsy
How else did you think we can come up with a solution if we dont have any information on what kind of PC you have where the problem comes from in the first place. Thats sorta like saying my car just died but I dont know whats wrong with it nor do I care just fix it.... then you get shafted at the autoshop. Its good to know how the things you use work specially a PC.

We still need to know what kind of motherboard you have. I dont know an easier way to say what we are asking. What you posted was the CPU type and speed and what RAM you currently have.

Yes I know you need information.. Im not a total idiot!

I just needed the advice of where to find the information you need..

Maybe if you took the time to re-read my first post carefully you would have noticed I asked what Information I needed to know for what memory I needed and also where I would find this information?!

And if you don't know how to simplify what you are saying then maybe you shouldn't offer to help.

not everyone understands the terminology like you.
I may not understand everything but this is the reason I asked for help and I don't appreciate being spoke down to and maybe you didn't mean to but that is how you came across in your posts.

Thanks for your help tattoo, at least you actually took the time to notice I was female wink

LinixCobra
Yes I know you need information.. Im not a total idiot!

I just needed the advice of where to find the information you need..

Maybe if you took the time to re-read my first post carefully you would have noticed I asked what Information I needed to know for what memory I needed and also where I would find this information?!

And if you don't know how to simplify what you are saying then maybe you shouldn't offer to help.

not everyone understands the terminology like you.
I may not understand everything but this is the reason I asked for help and I don't appreciate being spoke down to and maybe you didn't mean to but that is how you came across in your posts.

Thanks for your help tattoo, at least you actually took the time to notice I was female wink

Sorry that I came across like that but if thats the way you see if then thats your point of view. If you read my last post you can see I suggest what to do.

If you still cannot figure it out then this is the best help that I can give you and that is to take it your nearest computer service center. There really isnt a need to get upset, maybe you got upset because the answer is hard to come by but thats just my point of view.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.