Darth Vader (OT) or Anakin Skywalker (PT)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nikkolas
Which did you like more and why?

I prefer Vader because the presence and character he emits. Hayden spent most of the time whining about something. Now this is typical for headstrong young men but I think it gives far more of an impression to see Vader choking the life out of an officer than it is to see Anakin rolling around with Padme....

There's also the fact I prefer intelligent and controlled characters... Anakin was anything but. I'll join the dark side because you said you could save Padme...then you tell me you can't...but let's give it a try? WTF?

Kadesh
Definately vader, he is more evil, more menacing more intimidating and his voice would send chills down my spine if i were to meet him.

Darth vader is undeniably the greatest villian of all time

Rampant ox
Originally posted by Kadesh
Definately vader, he is more evil, more menacing more intimidating and his voice would send chills down my spine if i were to meet him.

Yes, Vader takes a robotic shit on his former self.

Im afraid that title goes to Francisco Scaramanga. erm

Kadesh
Originally posted by Rampant ox

Im afraid that title goes to Francisco Scaramanga. erm Not in my book wink

Nikkolas
But he's got the Golden Gun...you ever play Goldeneye? Golden Gun = one shot kill.

Plus he's got a thrid nipple. Can't top that.

Though his having sex with someone before he kills someone else is awesome.

Rampant ox
Originally posted by Nikkolas
But he's got the Golden Gun...you ever play Goldeneye? Golden Gun = one shot kill.

Plus he's got a thrid nipple. Can't top that.

Though his having sex with someone before he kills someone else is awesome.

Couldnt have said it better myself. big grin

vader11
Vader definitely. He is so cool & powerful!
There's no way Anakin>Vaderlaughing

Tangible God
Who in their right mind would pick Anakin?

And #1 Villain goes to Hannibal Lecter, Vader 3rd, and Francisco Scaramanga isn't even on the top 50.

vader11
Vader is definitely one of the top 3 villain of all time, but perhaps not the 1st.

Nikkolas
Meh. They put the Wicked Witch of the West in the Top 10...what do they know.

And Advent says Anakin is better than Vader.

vader11
Originally posted by Nikkolas
Meh. They put the Wicked Witch of the West in the Top 10...what do they know.

And Advent says Anakin is better than Vader. Who is better doesn't work here. It just ask who we like more.

Advent

Nikkolas
You said as much in a topic I looked at the day I made this thread.

You learn a lot about people when you spend most of the time using the search engine.

vader11

Advent
And I'm supposed to detect a virtually undetectable meaning? You can't even get 'popularity' from that.

Edit:

And really, that's still completely irrelevant, because it's still the same type of thing. They fall under the same category.

Like previously mentioned, what Nikkolas stated can mean that I think Anakin is a better character. So, you really had no reason to try and correct him.

vader11
OK, problem solved...

Nikkolas
You ever gonna get on AIM, Advent?

Tangible God
I could barely feel for Anakin Skywalker. Look past his features and he's just a whiny, obsessive little brat. Not that I feel for Darth Vader, it's just that Vader is so damn badass, and pardon the grossly overused cliche--cool.

The novels present Anakin in a better light, especially ROTS' novelization. There was an actual reason for his turning to the Dark Side in that book.

Gideon
Advent, I am going to have to disagree . Hayden's performance may ellicit some 'sexual' responses from the female population of his fans, but it is my opinion - and the opinion of most people - that he was simply horrendous in terms of acting. Certainly no where near McDiarmid, Guiness, Lee, and Cushing. I agree with Tangible, the novelizations make Anakin an extremely sympathetic character, but Hayden's acting is dreadful and his movie performances were ghastly.

Vader, in comparison, is a movie icon and the most popular villain in cinema history , and is the most recognizable of the movie characters.

The general public seems to think that 'Vader or Anakin?' is a no brainer, and I agree: Vader is by far the better character and definately the more iconic one.

Advent
I do, of course, realize that mostly everyone would pick Darth Vader. That's fine with me, because it's my opinion on the matter. Now, you mentioned acting, which I believe is entirely irrelevant because we're judging the characters themselves, not necessarily the performers. So, I would base my decision as if what happened in the movies was, in fact, actually happening. Even if you want to out of universally evaluate Hayden's performance, I would tell you that he won multiple awards for his performances in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith respectively.

I personally thought his acting was good in both films (especially where he wakes up in the middle of the night during RotS), despite his monotonous voice.

Yes. The majority would conclude that Darth Vader is more popular. I have no problem admitting that. Did you actually ever think of why he achieved such status? He was the main villain in a fantasy film that was advanced for his time (not to mention came out twenty some years ago). He was intimidating with his black armor clad appearance, and his voice. I myself probably would've thought he was "cool", too, if I were younger. But, I'm not particularly seeing how being a historical figure in the eyes of the public makes him a 'better character', nor would it change what I think.

And again, has the "majority" read any the Expanded Universe materials? Hell no. This has a lot to do with why I would choose Anakin Skywalker as he was in all his glory over Darth Vader, a shell of his former self. I merely like Anakin's attitude, his style (not lightsaber style; though, that kicks ass, too), his look -- the most important determining factor for me -- and like I said, I can sympathize with his character (not necessarily because I got scolded by my master, or got all my limbs strewn across lava banks, though).

And really, how a character appeals to me is very important. Darth Vader does not, therefore I don't really care too much about him. Anakin does, so he matters.

Now, yes, Anakin is "whiny", he's a "brat", but so was I, and I still am. Look at why he questions his master, and everyone else. He definitely was not meant to be a Jedi, yet he's on the Jedi path. I'm not going to justify his actions, or his words, because most times, he's rightfully reprimanded, but still. The point is: if you don't like characters that are annoying to you, that's great for you, because different people have different interests that they look for.

I apologize (not really) that I find characters who I do not think have any sense of interesting personality inferior to those who do.

Gideon
Like I said, we disagree in opinion . I enjoy reading Anakin in the Clone Wars-novels and in the RotS novelizations, but in the movies? No.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Advent
Now, yes, Anakin is "whiny", he's a "brat", but so was I, and I still am. Look at why he questions his master, and everyone else. He definitely was not meant to be a Jedi, yet he's on the Jedi path. I'm not going to justify his actions, or his words, because most times, he's rightfully reprimanded, but still. The point is: if you don't like characters that are annoying to you, that's great for you, because different people have different interests that they look for. I can completely agree with this.

From an EU point of view, Anakin is someone you can "connect" with, in a sense. You can feel where he's coming from, and why he does what he does. After reading ROTS, I looked at the guy in a completely new light.

Vader's still a badass sonuvab*tch in the EU too, but there he's someone I want to see defeated, not win (much like Mel Gibson in Payback).

But when I make myself forget about the EU and watch the movies (something the vast viewing public does), Anakin is a more mature Jar Jar with better grammar. Annoying, obsessive, foolish, rash, and a griper.

Whereas Vader, sans the EU, is by and large a much more impressive character. To quote descriptions of him that have been used a million times, he's "menacing," "evil," "cruel," "cold-hearted," "scary," and just plain cool. By ROTJ, if you can ignore the distractions of the Ewoks, Vader's got a real internal battle going on, over good and evil. While Anakin also has a similar dilemma, his aforementioned personality traits tend to deflect a lot of sympathy or caring.

SnakeEyes
Vader, no contest.

Hayden Christensen did not do a very good job acting in the prequels. There was one moment where I thought he did well, which was the immolation scene on Mustafar. He was actually decent when he was on fire. But honestly, nobody can say that Hayden did a good job and have it be true. No matter what the reason was, Anakin wasn't portrayed well by him.

Vader looks cooler, acts like a badass, has an imposing/awesome voice, his own theme song, etc.

He's a classic villain who will go down in history as one of the best.

Anakin was forgettable at best.

Count Makashi
I liked Anakin more.

Tangible God
That's only because he got within 3 feet of Dooku.

Darth Subjekt
I say Anakin. For one, you can see what he's going through via facial expressions, and he gives you something to grab onto as far as being an audience member. You can see that he's human and has feelings, and not some masked figure how will just kill someone at the drop of a hat (which is cool as shit by the way). But Vader was my favorite character until ROTS. I could feel what Anakin was feeling before he articulated it, or conveyed his feelings through obvious actions. Like when he went to kill the little bastards in the council room, you could tell there was a part of him that didn't want to do it, but he had virtually no control over himself at that point. I dunno, everything Advent said (less the sexual aspect, lol) I agree with. But like i said, Vader is a close second, as he was my favorite character from the time i was 3 or 4, until i was 25...

gespstylo
its definatly darth vader cause hes simply cool, even lucas preferes him, he even wanted to make the movies, "the tragedy of darth vader" instead of "starwars" cause it is all about the guy in the leather suit...

bye
gesp stylo

vader11
It would be better to make a pollstick out tongue

Count Makashi
Originally posted by Tangible God

Whats that supposed to mean.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Count Makashi
I liked Anakin more. Originally posted by Tangible God

Zing!

LORDSIDIOUS01
Vader

Count Makashi
Anakin had that cool haircut in AOTC, i bet he got a lot of ladies with it.

Kadesh
Anakin needs dread locks or a cornrow hairstyle

Ridley_Prime
Hmm. As much as I like Darth Vader, I'd have to go with Anakin (episode III version) because of him expressing much more emotion and personality as a character, and thus making him more likeable (to me at least)...

Plus, Vader's robotic legs made him way too slow in most situations. An achilles' heel Anakin didn't possess, even though he was too daring at times for his own good before becoming the Vader we all know from the original trilogy...

Count Makashi
Vader isn't slow, he is just not fast as he used to be.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Count Makashi
Vader isn't slow, he is just not fast as he used to be.

Which explains why Luke was able to kick him so easily at the beginning of their light-saber battle in RotJ. Vader's almost always walked pretty slowly too, though I suppose it may be a bit of an exaggeration to say Vader's slow in general (in terms of movement). He's just slow compared to Anakin...

Tangible God
He's also slow compared to Zett Jukasa, but do you think Zett could boot him down a flight of stairs?

Count Makashi
Definitely, he is GL son.

Luminatus
After going back and taking a more objective look at things, I prefer Anakin to Vader. I don't get what people are talking about...the ROTS novel makes you feel sorry for him but the movie makes you just think he's immature? The motivation is EXACTLy the same in both. It's blaant-Hayden hain'.

From a character standpoint, one is full of personality and the other isn't. In terms of appearance, I love the black armor but this is way cooler.
http://geekswithblogs.net/images/geekswithblogs_net/codesailor/3571/o_darthvader.jpg

I also like how with Anakin, there's an aura of dark inevitability around him. The moment that little kid appeared in EP1, we knew he was destined for cruelty and pain. Watching his descent and movement towards that is quite enjoyable IMO.

Advent
Originally posted by Luminatus
After going back and taking a more objective look at things, I prefer Anakin to Vader. I don't get what people are talking about...the ROTS novel makes you feel sorry for him but the movie makes you just think he's immature? The motivation is EXACTLy the same in both. It's blaant-Hayden hain'.

From a character standpoint, one is full of personality and the other isn't. In terms of appearance, I love the black armor but this is way cooler.
http://geekswithblogs.net/images/geekswithblogs_net/codesailor/3571/o_darthvader.jpg

I also like how with Anakin, there's an aura of dark inevitability around him. The moment that little kid appeared in EP1, we knew he was destined for cruelty and pain. Watching his descent and movement towards that is quite enjoyable IMO.

Well said. I was just reading my old posts here, and they still ring true. Anakin's the shieeeeeeeeeeeeet, I think some people might have more of a problem with Hayden Christensen rather than the character, which would mask his story and characteristics.

Vader is what Anakin became, what I find a lot more intriguing is how he becomes that way and it's very deep.

Lord Lucien
When he was fully submerged in the Dark Side on Mustafar, Anakin as played by Christenson was the best Anakin. It was his eyes that made him look so sinister, and in simple appearances, it's this Vader that looks evil. Suit-Vader doesn't really have that evil look, but he's way more badass looking/sounding.

Luminatus
Well Hayden can't hope to live up to the legendary James Earl Jones in the awesome voice category but I think he still delivered some good lines.

"I have brought peace, freedom, justice and secuirty to my new empire!"

Even the "whiny" lines some peole hate, I enjoyed.
Padme: You're not all powerful.
Well, I should be! Some day I will be... I will be the most powerful Jedi ever."

You liked Hayden's performance, didn't you Advent? Beyond his smokin' bod of course.

Lord Lucien
I liked those lines with Padme, he seemed genuinely distressed.

WO Polaski

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f122/blaxican_templar/o_darthvader.jpg
http://artsblog.freedomblogging.com/files/2009/01/thriller2.jpg

disagree. hayden christiansan is cute. but not with that make-up.

Eminence
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
When he was fully submerged in the Dark Side on Mustafar, Anakin as played by Christenson was the best Anakin. It was his eyes that made him look so sinister, and in simple appearances, it's this Vader that looks evil.

Luminatus
Originally posted by WO Polaski

Uh...what? He is cute but that's not why i prefer his ROTS look. I like his look because of the hair, eyes and outfit.

WO Polaski
because theyre yellow or because he has eye shadow?

the outfit isnt all that imo. a glorifed leather dress doesnt compete with black leather. plus vaders voice is all that. i think the first time i truly had an orgasm was when when i first heard vader interrogate that rebel then throw him against the wall in A New Hope. anakin crying in return of the sith and moping in attack of the clones cant compare.

Advent
Well Hayden can't hope to live up to the legendary James Earl Jones in the awesome voice category but I think he still delivered some good lines.

"I have brought peace, freedom, justice and secuirty to my new empire!"

Even the "whiny" lines some peole hate, I enjoyed.
Padme: You're not all powerful.
Well, I should be! Some day I will be... I will be the most powerful Jedi ever."

You liked Hayden's performance, didn't you Advent? Beyond his smokin' bod of course.

Yeah, I believe AotC was the first time I'd seen him act, and I thought he played the part well in both movies. Especially on Mustafar after he killed the Seperatists, he was crying and the way Hayden looked at that point was perfect at that moment, you could tell that Anakin felt remorse about what he had done and become, but felt there was nothing he could do about it. He was great!

Originally posted by WO Polaski

LMFAO! laughing

Luminatus
The yellow but I could care less if he wears eye shadow.

WO Polaski
The yellow but I could care less if he wears eye shadow.

*shrug* if youre into that kind of guy.

i like my men manly and stereotypically masculine. smile its a weakness.

its pretty obvious where they got the inspiration for anakins attire in rots. stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.