The Most Telling Scene- Possibly the Great One

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

willofthewisp
TIA DALMA
Jack Sparrow!

JACK SPARROW
Tia Dalma!

TIA DALMA
I always know de wind was goin' blow
you back to me one day.

TIA DALMA
You. You have a touch of... destiny
about *you*, William Turner.

WILL TURNER
You know me?

TIA DALMA
You want to know *me*.

JACK SPARROW
There'll be no knowing here. We've come
for help and we're not leaving without
it.

JACK SPARROW
I thought *I* knew you.

TIA DALMA
Not so well as I had hoped. Come.

JACK SPARROW
Come.

TIA DALMA
What... service... may I do you? Hmmm?
You know I demand payment.

JACK SPARROW
I brought payment.

JACK SPARROW
Look!

JACK SPARROW
An undead monkey! Top that!

GIBBS
No! You've no idea how long it took
us to catch that.

TIA DALMA
The payment is fair.

JACK SPARROW
We're looking for this. And what it
goes to.

TIA DALMA
The Compass you bartered from me. It
cannot lead you to dis?

JACK SPARROW
Maybe. Why?

TIA DALMA
Ayeee... Jack Sparrow does not know
what he wants! Or... do know, but are
loathe to claim it as your own. Your
key go to a chest, and it is what lay
inside the chest you seek, don't it?

GIBBS
What *is* inside?

PINTEL
Gold! Jewels? Unclaimed properties of
a valuable nature?

RAGETTI
Nothing... bad, I hope.

TIA DALMA
You know of... Davy Jones, yes? A man
of de sea. A great sailor, until he
ran afoul of dat which vex all men.

WILL TURNER
What vexes all men?

TIA DALMA
What, indeed.

GIBBS
The sea?

PINTEL
Sums!

RAGETTI
Dichotomy of good and evil.

JACK SPARROW
A *woman*.

TIA DALMA
A wo-*man*. He fell in love.

GIBBS
No-no-no-no, I heard it was the *sea*
he fell in love with.

TIA DALMA
Same story, different versions, and
all are true. See, it was a *woman*,
as changing, and harsh, and untamable
as the sea. Him never stopped loving
her. But the pain it cause 'im was too
much to live wid. But not enough to
cause him to die.

WILL TURNER
What... exactly did he put into the
chest?

TIA DALMA
Him heart.

RAGETTI
Literally, or figuratively?

PINTEL
He couldn't li'erally put his heart
in a chest! Could he?

TIA DALMA
It was not wort' feeling what... small
fleeting joy life brings, and so...
he carved out him heart, lock it away
in a chest, and hide de chest from de
world. De keys, he keep wid him at all
times.

WILL TURNER
You knew this.

JACK SPARROW
I did not. I didn't know where the key
was. But now we do. So all that's left
is to climb aboard the Flying Dutchman,
grab the key, you go back to Port Royal
and save your bonnie lass, hey!

TIA DALMA
Let me see your hand.

GIBBS
Uhhh! The black spot!

Black spot!

Black spot!

JACK SPARROW
My eyesight's as good as ever, just
so you know.

TIA DALMA
I am justMy little ###, where
are you? ###

TIA DALMA
Davy Jones cannot make port. Cannot
step on land but once every ten years.
Land is where you are safe, Jack Sparrow.
And so you will carry land wid you...

JACK SPARROW
Dirt. This is a jar of dirt.

TIA DALMA
Yes?

JACK SPARROW
Is the... jar of dirt going to help?

TIA DALMA
If you don' want it, give it back.

JACK SPARROW
No.

TIA DALMA
Den it helps.

WILL TURNER
It seems... we have a need to find the
Flying Dutchman.

TIA DALMA
A touch... of destiny!

willofthewisp
I think this is the most telling, most important scene in all of DMC. It explains so much and yet asks so many questions. I thought it might help us figure things out about the trilogy.

TIA DALMA
Jack Sparrow!

JACK SPARROW
Tia Dalma!

TIA DALMA
I always know de wind was goin' blow
you back to me one day.

TIA DALMA
You. You have a touch of... destiny
about *you*, William Turner.

WILL TURNER
You know me?

TIA DALMA
You want to know *me*.

JACK SPARROW
There'll be no knowing here. We've come
for help and we're not leaving without
it.

JACK SPARROW
I thought *I* knew you.

TIA DALMA
Not so well as I had hoped. Come.

JACK SPARROW
Come.

TIA DALMA
What... service... may I do you? Hmmm?
You know I demand payment.

JACK SPARROW
I brought payment.

JACK SPARROW
Look!

JACK SPARROW
An undead monkey! Top that!

GIBBS
No! You've no idea how long it took
us to catch that.

TIA DALMA
The payment is fair.

I call this Part 1 of the scene. It's main purpose is to introduce Tia, establish the relationship between her and Jack, hint at Will's role (and showcase Tia's mind powers), and foreshadow Barbossa's return. A lot to take in, huh? I recommend watching the scene while following along because the faces are so important.

Just to break it down, Tia seems to treat Jack's visit as a pleasant surprise, way different than when he's encountered his other past lovers. But the attention is on Will. Will is the interesting one to watch throughout the scene. Tia's attractive in her own slimy way and she and Will do almost kiss before Jack breaks them up. Maybe Tia sees something in Will that reminds her of someone from her past, eh?

It also establishes that she has helped Jack at least once in the past, because he knows how she works. She demands trinkets, supernatural items, things of worth she can use. I really don't see much in the way of what she wants with the monkey. It's a plot device in my opinion, but if anyone thinks there is more significance, please share!

surfchikpir8fan
I can't think of anything, but that is some fantastic observing. Did Will and Tia nearly kiss, I'll have to watch that again, lol. But yes Jack obviously knew how to work her, ahhhhhhhh so close to AWE now!

willofthewisp
JACK SPARROW
We're looking for this. And what it
goes to.

TIA DALMA
The Compass you bartered from me. It
cannot lead you to dis?

JACK SPARROW
Maybe. Why?

TIA DALMA
Ayeee... Jack Sparrow does not know
what he wants! Or... do know, but are
loathe to claim it as your own. Your
key go to a chest, and it is what lay
inside the chest you seek, don't it?

GIBBS
What *is* inside?

PINTEL
Gold! Jewels? Unclaimed properties of
a valuable nature?

RAGETTI
Nothing... bad, I hope.

I call this Part 2, how original. I think it's main purpose here is to show just how much they need Tia and why. The compass does not work for Jack and she tells us exactly why it's not: he either doesn't know what he wants, or he does, but does not want to want it. The look of "being caught" on his face as he fingers through her things seems telling.

Also, check out Tia's face when Will pulls out the drawing. She knows what it is. She's thrown by a loop by it and probably asks about the compass to convince them they don't need her. There is some bitterness in her after that.

But check it out before that how she paws Will and how he enjoys it. Oh man. It's kind of hot to be honest. What's inside the chest is what they seek. It's a credit to the writers that everyone wants the chest for different reasons.

willofthewisp
TIA DALMA
You know of... Davy Jones, yes? A man
of de sea. A great sailor, until he
ran afoul of dat which vex all men.

WILL TURNER
What vexes all men?

TIA DALMA
What, indeed.

GIBBS
The sea?

PINTEL
Sums!

RAGETTI
Dichotomy of good and evil.

JACK SPARROW
A *woman*.

TIA DALMA
A wo-*man*. He fell in love.

GIBBS
No-no-no-no, I heard it was the *sea*
he fell in love with.

TIA DALMA
Same story, different versions, and
all are true. See, it was a *woman*,
as changing, and harsh, and untamable
as the sea. Him never stopped loving
her. But the pain it cause 'im was too
much to live wid. But not enough to
cause him to die.

WILL TURNER
What... exactly did he put into the
chest?

TIA DALMA
Him heart.

Okay, most important stuff here in Part 3! We hear the story of Davy Jones, a story that's going to change everyone's lives from here on out. I really don't think we've seen yet just how important this backstory is. Tia resumes flirting with Will and he seems more and more intrigued by her and the story. He is also one of the few that has never heard it before. He, Pintel, and Ragetti seem to be the only ones without any prior knowledge of it. It's interesting he's the only one that also does not give an answer to what vexes all men. Is he not vexed? Or does he just not want to make any assumptions? We've all made a big deal about how Jack answers correctly because he himself is vexed, but it also lets the audience know he's heard the story before. Therefore, they are here for Will's benefit. Jack only has to learn one thing.

Tia continues with the story and it's so beautiful and subtle how she hints that she's the wild woman that broke his heart. Look at Will's face. He gets more and more affected by the story until he loses patience with her and asks "What exactly did he put in the chest." It's a way of saying get with the point.

I think I could write a book on the choice of a heart being what's in the chest. The symbolism deserves its own thread.

willofthewisp
RAGETTI
Literally, or figuratively?

PINTEL
He couldn't li'erally put his heart
in a chest! Could he?

TIA DALMA
It was not wort' feeling what... small
fleeting joy life brings, and so...
he carved out him heart, lock it away
in a chest, and hide de chest from de
world. De keys, he keep wid him at all
times.

WILL TURNER
You knew this.

JACK SPARROW
I did not. I didn't know where the key
was. But now we do. So all that's left
is to climb aboard the Flying Dutchman,
grab the key, you go back to Port Royal
and save your bonnie lass, hey!

Tia increases the drama of the story. She's about as good at storytelling as Gibbs, so that's pretty good. We have not yet seen Davy at this point but we know so much about him now, most importantly how he now sees happiness and all things that bring happiness as worthless. We can truly expect a satanic character. Will is still impatient, disturbed by the story and mad at Jack for wasting their time. But Jack wasn't wasting time. He had to learn where the key was. But now that he knows that, he's all too anxious to leave.

Backing up: Mostly the J/Ers have made a big-to-do about how Jack doesn't agree to help Will until he learns Liz is in danger. What I don't think anyone has noticed is that if Will gets him the key, it really is saving Liz. Jack clearly explains later that whoever has the chest can make Davy do whatever he/she wants. He would call the shots and would surely get her out of jail.

So why is Jack ready to leave? I think we know that Tia is one of the 4 that has tried to kill him in the past and even though their exchange is now complete, he expects more from her end that could really screw up his plans.

willofthewisp
TIA DALMA
Let me see your hand.

GIBBS
Uhhh! The black spot!

Black spot!

Black spot!

JACK SPARROW
My eyesight's as good as ever, just
so you know.

TIA DALMA
I am justMy little ###, where
are you? ###

TIA DALMA
Davy Jones cannot make port. Cannot
step on land but once every ten years.
Land is where you are safe, Jack Sparrow.
And so you will carry land wid you...

JACK SPARROW
Dirt. This is a jar of dirt.

TIA DALMA
Yes?

JACK SPARROW
Is the... jar of dirt going to help?

TIA DALMA
If you don' want it, give it back.

JACK SPARROW
No.

TIA DALMA
Den it helps.

WILL TURNER
It seems... we have a need to find the
Flying Dutchman.

TIA DALMA
A touch... of destiny!

Anybody know why Jack makes that comment about his eyesight? I think somebody told me before, but I don't get it at all. So Tia digs around in her back room and we see the locket on the table. We haven't seen the other locket yet so we don't yet know the significance, but we will. We also see the boots in the back room. Hmmm, anybody figure it out from that point?

The jar of dirt...plot device is the best I can come up with since Norrington needs something to steal the heart without Jack's knowledge. As long as the heart was thought to be in the jar of dirt, Norrington could be free to take it. But why did Tia give this to him? Her explanation doesn't ring true, or fully true to me.

I also like how Will finally comes around and says he needs to now find the Flying Dutchman. He says it very apologetically if you listen carefully. Now he's ready to listen to her again. Tia repeats "touch of destiny." That may be the most important line in the entire series.

Surreal_44
Interesting thoughts here.

Part One:

- I wouldn't call what happens between Will and Tia as an almost-kiss. He is intrigued by her, and he seems almost hypnotized, but they aren't really close enough to kiss. I think if Jack hadn't stepped in, Tia might have gone in for the kill --er kiss, but again, not sure that it's a kiss.

- The monkey is simply another call back to Barbossa, and if you watch where the monkey goes, it's to go sit on Barbossa. big grin

Part Two

- Again, Tia touching Will...I never read it as him really enjoying it. I thought he looked a bit uncomfortable, like he sort of enjoys it but he'd really rather Tia would stop. big grin

- I realize that the J/E angle has been played up here, but I am also wondering if Jack might not also be wanting immortality but is partially reluctant to do such a thing. I mean, yes, he'd never die, but his friends would, and that might be even lonlier than death.

Could that be part of what he's reluctant to claim as his own?

Part Three:

- Again, I don't think Will is as taken with Tia as she is with him. He seems more disturbed with the story than anything else. This is the Big Finish as far as the Obvious Hints That We Will Beat Into Your Skulls about Will's fate. big grin They are trying to draw attention to how similar Will's story is to DJ.

- As far as Jack goes, I'm not in love with Lizzie and I answered before anyone else did about what vexes all men. I have to say, I think it's hilarious the answers the others come up with.

"The dichotomy of good and evil?" big grin I love the reaction to that line. The poor man has salvation on the brain, doesn't he? wink

Part Four

- Just touching on the Jack not helping Will until he hears Liz is in danger -- again, it's a difference of opinion, but I think it has less to do with how much Jack cares about her and more to do with, "Ah ha. Will can save me here, and then he can help me escape Davy AND save his girlfriend". Jack is smart like that. He knows, like Beckett does, how to use people to get them to do what they want.

- I think Jack is also a little freaked out about how Tia is with Will. There seems to be a mixture of concern and jealousy, along with wariness when he steps between them. He probably wants to escape Tia not just for himself, but for Will's sake as well.

Part Five:

- Jack is commenting that he can see the others response to the Black Spot. He's trying to be carefree and unworried about it, and I think he's trying to pretend that it's Not A Big Deal. stick out tongue

- The camera pans back so that we see Barbossa again. We see him near the beginning of the scene, then Jack is playing with his hat, and then we see Barbossa's boots again.

When I saw that, I was bouncing in my seat impatiently through most of the rest of the film, because I wanted to know when/if we were going to see Barbossa again. big grin I was not as surprised as some when Barbossa came down the stairs at Tia's hut. It was still a great moment though. One of my favorite moments of both films so far. big grin

- About the jar of dirt -- a lot of stuff in this film is a bit plot devicey. It does remind me of a story I read once when I was younger, about how a woman gave a man a love potion, and as long as the bottle the potion came in never broke, the spell would work.

I think the jar of dirt is similar in that respect. Although, I wonder if Jack didn't break the 'spell' on it when he opened the jar and removed some of the dirt.

- I'm not sure about Will being apologetic. I think it's more resigned. He doesn't trust any of them any more, but he's got no choice if he wants to have any hope of saving himself or Elizabeth.

It's interesting how we can watch the same film and interperate the scenes so differently. big grin

Minie Mina
The story that resembles with Davy is actually Jack, not Will. big grin big grin

Surreal_44
Or Norrington! Poor baby.

JacksSweet

willofthewisp
It does raise an interesting question, Mina, as to whether or not Jack had pieced together that Tia having Barbossa's things meant Barbossa was there and alive, or about to become alive. I don't think Will notices it. Will's smart, but I don't think he's looking at the hat, ring, etc, and I'm not sure if seeing just one of those things would trigger any memory of Barbossa. Usually, when people die, they stay dead and that plays a big part in people's logic, so I don't think Will would piece it together.

I also don't think Gibbs, Pintel, or Ragetti (or the bird) did either. Gibbs has kind of met his match as far as storyteller goes and he's already shown he's very distrustful of Tia. He's probably keeping a careful eye on her. Pintel and Ragetti just see the boots as far as I know, and one guy's boots look a lot like the next guy's boots, you know? Plus, if you were in Tia's shack and you saw what looked like a body in another room, would you investigate or get the hell out of there?

Jack should be the only one to realize Barbossa is there or at the very least, that it's his "effects." Jack interacted with Barbossa long enough that he would recognize a hat and ring and the like. But would he deduce Barbossa's body was actually there? I don't think so. Tia collects a bunch of creepy sh*t, and what's creepier than stealing stuff off a corpse? As honorable as Will is, as practical as Liz can be, and as smart as Jack is, I doubt any of them properly disposed of Barbossa's body after Jack shot him. I think they just left him there.

My guess as to why Tia sends them out after Jack is because she needs him specifically to do something. Whether or not it has to do with his Piece of 8, I don't know, but it only follows that he either has something, knows something, or can do something that she needs.

Minie Mina
"Then, you will need a captain who knows those waters."-Tia Dalma.

One of the excuses is to because Barbossa has been at world's end. But also, Tia thought that Barbossa would be the one into succeeding the release of Calypso.

The story of Davy Jones does not resemble Will's story at all. People may think that the way she talks to Will. You see Jack so distracted or acting as if he was distracted. As if he is not listening how the story goes. How Davy fell in love and was betrayed by his lover, or dumped. I think that sounds familiar to a certain someone.

willofthewisp
But does Will identify with it in some way? It may not parallel his life, but he may think it does. I really see some impatience in him, and that could easily be just his way, or the story may bother him.

I think Jack's heard it all before. He has come for one reason: to learn where the key is. I really don't think he's paying attention and finding Barbossa's stuff there would be something to be distracted by, don't you think?

Minie Mina
Jack had two excuses to go to Tia Dalma.

1) To be safe away from the terrible Beastie.

2) To know where the Dutchman will be located next.

Jack has heard all this story before. He and Tia "go way back." So Jack knows the story by heart already. He is just pretending to be distracted. But he couldn't hepl but give the answer on what vexes men. I think Jack identifies it more than Will.

I think Will's impatience is to really get the key to return to his fiance "eagerly."

JacksSweet

jackismyboo
so you are saying Will's destiny is to be the next fish-face, but Jack resembles Davy more than Will?

charrmgirl2007
Originally posted by willofthewisp

Anybody know why Jack makes that comment about his eyesight?

I think that was just an add lib by johnny. he does that in some of his other movies also...just look on the others face they look a bit like they are trying not to laugh

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4083/jacklizziekisssigmw5.gif

Minie Mina
LOL, I must watch that.

Jack does resemble to Davy more than Will. If Jack were to stab the heart, history would repeat itself.

Ditte3
WhenTia talks about Davy,most things she says is true to Jack too:
Both are great sailors,the men of the sea
Both became vexed by a woman.
Both fell in love with awoman as hars and changing and tameable as the sea(remember when Jack says his first and only love is the sea)

Minie Mina
Then Davy was bitter after being betrayed by his lover and decided to cut his heart.

This resembles to Jack, because according to Ted and Terry and Johnny AND the script:

Jack shoots his "good side Jack" in purgatory. Because that's the good side Jack who loves Elizabeth.

JacksSweet

JacksSweet

willofthewisp
JacksSweet, it is strange she seems to know exactly what everyone is thinking at the end. But she had to have known before they arrived. The people outside her shack with the candles weren't there before. They're mourners.

We've pretty much concluded here that Tia Dalma is actually the sea goddess Calypso. Someone else should explain that to you because I was just a newbie when that information was circulating, so I'm no help there. Thing is, if she's a goddess, she probably does have some ESP. Maybe she acted surprised when they all told her, though.

JacksSweet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.