The Official Cover Discussion Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

H. S. 6
Here's hoping this thread will spark some desperately-needed, sensible discussion in the Harry Potter forum.

As the name implies, this thread is to talk all about the covers. Any theories you have, ideas, comments, questions, etc. should be posted here, and we'll be able to share our opinions, blah blah blah.

US Full Cover

UK Child's Cover

UK Adult Cover

Now for some questions/suggestions:

In the US Cover:

A big question is, where are Harry and Voldemort? Hogwarts? Ministry of Magic? Beyond the Veil? Azkaban?

Who or what are the silhouettes standing around the amphitheater? Death Eaters? Aurors? Dementors? Ghosts?

What exactly are they standing in? A coliseum? An amphitheater? Or somewhere new? Do the curtains have any significance?

What are Harry and Voldemort doing? Is Harry reaching for something? Beckoning for something? A Horcrux maybe?

And Voldemort. Is he grasping for something as well, or is he pushing it away? Leaning forward or backward?

Could Harry and Voldemort be working together, or do they at least have a common goal in this scene?

What's hanging around Harry's neck? One might assume it's the locket, but personally, I think it looks more like a pouch. If it is the locket, why is it such a recurring theme in the covers? Is the locket somehow different than the other Horcruxes?

And of course the big question: Where is Harry's scar? On all the covers so far, Harry's scar has been a prominent feature of the image. Why now is it so obscured (or not there) to the point that it's sparked a debate?

In the UK Child's:

Are the trio being sucked inward, or are they falling outward?

Who is behind Harry, holding the sword? Dobby? Kreacher? Could it be a Gringott's gobin? (Notice the gold.)

And speaking of the gold, where are they that gold would be present? Gringott's?

What are the trio wearing? Note that Ron owns green dress robes, Hermione purplish formal wear, and Harry black. Could this mean they are coming from somewhere formal? Something like... a wedding?

Why is Prongs on the inside flap?

What is the silver ball with the snakes/dragons on it on the inside flap? Could it be a prophecy, reflecting dragons?

The castle on the back, is it Hogwarts? Why is it pearly white, with rounded circular spires?

Is that tree the Whomping Willow? Perhaps another Marauders reference...

And what about the full moon? Is it symbolizing werewolves?

Now look on the spine, all the way at the top. A circle inside a triangle. Could it be signifying an equilateral triangle? If it is, why? It could be symbolizing a trinity of some sort. Harry, Ron, Hermione? A circle is sometimes seen as representing "eternity." Theories?

In the UK Adult's:

Is this the real Horcrux, or the fake?

Why does it look like it came from the Dollar Store, with Mardi Gras beads pasted on? ( stick out tongue )

Many of these ideas have been discussed on the Mugglenet podcast, Mugglecast.

Now... discuss!

H. S. 6
Or we could just talk about haircuts. smile

DanZeke25
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Or we could just talk about haircuts. smile

laughing laughing

ADarksideJedi
Very cool thanks for the link!Love it!jm

~Bun Bun~
Nice! big grin

Question tho? Not to go off topice ...

Why does the UK have a Child's verison and an Adult version?

H. S. 6
Originally posted by ~Bun Bun~
Nice! big grin

Question tho? Not to go off topice ...

Why does the UK have a Child's verison and an Adult version?

I think they've done that for all the books. I suppose Bloomsbury thinks they'll attract a more mature audience with an "adult" version of the cover. Personally, I think it's kind of silly, but what do I know.

Magyk Girl 13
links-awsome

i love the UK Adult Cover,, the picture of the locket is pretty kool =]

Prince Nauj
Ahem AHem. Harrys scar is on the cover thank you very much stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.