Morrissey

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Solo
I saw him live last night. It was without a doubt the best show I've ever seen, amazing.

Bardock42
He is great. I love his stuff. What did he play?

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/334397_1-morrissey
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/411884_1-morrissey

EPIIIBITES
Morrissey's become a living carricature of himself...he's kinda lost it.

Solo
Originally posted by Bardock42
He is great. I love his stuff. What did he play?

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/334397_1-morrissey
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/411884_1-morrissey
From what I remember he played:
You're Gonna Need Someone
Girlfriend in a Coma
Boy With the Thorn
I've Changed My Plea
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Ganglord
All You Need Is Me
In the Future
The Queen is Dead
Disappointed
You Have Killed Me
How Soon is Now?

I'm sure there are others, too. I wish he played more of The Smiths' work.

barand1
I'm gutted Solo.

EPIIIBITES - What are you talking about? He is more popular than ever!

Bardock42
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
Morrissey's become a living carricature of himself...he's kinda lost it. Except for still making really good music.

Originally posted by Solo
From what I remember he played:
You're Gonna Need Someone
Girlfriend in a Coma
Boy With the Thorn
I've Changed My Plea
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Ganglord
All You Need Is Me
In the Future
The Queen is Dead
Disappointed
You Have Killed Me
How Soon is Now?

I'm sure there are others, too. I wish he played more of The Smiths' work.
Well, I guess he wants to play his solo stuff, too.

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by barand1
EPIIIBITES - What are you talking about? He is more popular than ever! Never said he wasn't....and his music definitely isn't bad. I just thinkg he's stuck in one spot.

Alpha Centauri
He hasn't lost anything, in my opinion.

I always thought he had quite a few really good songs, but I've never really enjoyed his solo stuff that much. So to me, he's still just Morrissey.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Post-The Smiths stuff isn't as good.

People still like him though.

Then again, people like Hasselhoff.

(It's the same people).

(Person).

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Post-The Smiths stuff isn't as good.

People still like him though.

Then again, people like Hasselhoff.

(It's the same people).

(Person).

(dog)?

Maybe Morrissey just hasn't earned it yet, (dog).

vintageSW77
Moz old house at 384 Kings Road Stretford isnt far from where i live
i pass it regularly and its also not unusual to see Andy Rourke doing his shopping now and then in Sainsubrys in Altrincham nearby
Marr i last saw in the que with his kids at the cinema but i hear hes in the US now
one of the benefits of living in Manchester is seeing various members of Manchester bands such as Peter Hook out of New Order,Mani out of the Roses/Primal Scream or Bez doing normal day to day stuff now and again
quite a few of them have stayed put

again Moz is another artist eclipsed by his own superior output from 20 years ago
weve had some serious talent to come out of the rainy city and The Smiths still stand above them all...with Mark E just below them

EPIIIBITES
I still think the guy was able to offer some inspired material in the early-mid 90s...but that More You Ignore Me song was just a sad indication that he wasn't gonna be able to shed his past (even though that album was still alright)...

I'm sure a lot of people who have discovered him since then think he's pretty nifty...but he's really just become a spoof of himself.

Bardock42
I still think the guy was able to offer some inspired material in the early-mid 90s...but that More You Ignore Me song was just a sad indication that he wasn't gonna be able to shed his past (even though that album was still alright)...

I'm sure a lot of people who have discovered him since then think he's pretty nifty...but he's really just become a spoof of himself.

I don't know, I found his last two Albums quite excellent.

barand1
I agree Bardock42.

vintageSW77
First Of The Gang always gets me on the dancefloor
i think its a cracking tune

barand1
Originally posted by vintageSW77
First Of The Gang always gets me on the dancefloor
i think its a cracking tune

Yeah the opening always makes my heart beat in tune to it.

2D_MASTER
Never liked his solo stuff much. I've always though that Morrissey was Icing on the cake, that cake was called The Smiths. Marr was the real genius behind the smiths, Morrissey lyrics just added to the great arrangments Johnny Marr wrote.

EPIIIBITES
? As far as I knew, Morrisey would come to rehearsals and made up the melodies using his lyrics...he didn't just write "the lyrics"

2D_MASTER
? As far as I knew, Morrisey would come to rehearsals and made up the melodies using his lyrics...he didn't just write "the lyrics"

Erm thats why I said "wrote", Marr was the musician of the two. Morrissey did of course make the melodies for his vocals, but didn't help much Marr with the music itself. Look at the credits on each album sleeve it always read "all songs witten by johnny Marr..with the exception of..." its usually one or two songs Morrissey is credited with.

EPIIIBITES
I always thought melodies was part of music itself, but...whatever.

2D_MASTER
I always thought melodies was part of music itself, but...whatever.

I said vocal melodies, you know there is much more to a song than vocals. You're right that Morrissey "wrote" the melodies for his vocals, but he didnt go around telling Marr, Rouke or Joyce what notes, chords, ,keys or time that each song should be played with.

EPIIIBITES
I know what you're saying, but it's the same way a lot of people discredit the musicality of Jim Morrison because he wasn't the "genius" that Manzarek was musically.

I think melody is huge when it comes to the actual music...it can make or break a song. If you have great chord structure, intrumentation etc...it can all be for not if there isn't a good melody that goes with it.

Bardock42
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
I said vocal melodies, you know there is much more to a song than vocals. You're right that Morrissey "wrote" the melodies for his vocals, but he didnt go around telling Marr, Rouke or Joyce what notes, chords, ,keys or time that each song should be played with. Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
I know what you're saying, but it's the same way a lot of people discredit the musicality of Jim Morrison because he wasn't the "genius" that Manzarek was musically.

I think melody is huge when it comes to the actual music...it can make or break a song. If you have great chord structure, intrumentation etc...it can all be for not if there isn't a good melody that goes with it. Can't we agree that they worked incredibly well together?

2D_MASTER

Alpha Centauri
Of course, 2D, anybody who knows about music would know how that dynamic worked.

-AC

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Of course, 2D, anybody who knows about music would know how that dynamic worked.

-AC

Well it seems SOMEBODY doesnt. Someone... is claiming that Marr's music was based off Morrissey vocals..... wtf.

Alpha Centauri
Well there you have it, maybe there's a conclusion to be drawn about this someone's opinions of music.

-AC

EPIIIBITES
HAha!

Rich!

I never said Marr's music was based off Morrissey's vocals...and I never Manzeric's music was based off Morrison's vocals.

I just said making melody is part of making music...and if you can't make a good melody that goes with the music that's already there, then the song could be crap.

OBVIOUSLY the dynamic worked...everything worked...that's why they're great.

(But of course the character assasin AC will try and make it seem that I'm saying different stuff)

Alpha Centauri
2D got that from your posts on his own, I didn't need to do anything.

Making melody is part of making music, congratulations on making that deduction, EP.

-AC

2D_MASTER
HAha!

Rich!

I never said Marr's music was based off Morrissey's vocals...and I never Manzeric's music was based off Morrison's vocals.

I just said making melody is part of making music.

(But of course the chracter assasin AC will try and make it seem that I'm saying different stuff)

Meh... well thats what it seemed like you were saying to me. Sorry if I got you wrong. Make your idea more defined next time. Anyways AC as already tried to be make cry by pointing out the fact that I find it entertaining to talk about fictional video game characters on these forums, he seems kinda hostile. AC, you can point out how much of a nerd I am all you want, it's ok coz I know I am. I guess he thinks that just becuase I am a nerd I dont know anything about music.

Alpha Centauri
*Insert EPIIIBITES attempt to gain an ally by agreeing here*

Nothing wrong with being a "nerd", man.

I was just saying don't point fingers that you wouldn't want pointed at yourself.

I don't actually think anything's wrong with discussing fictional character battles, if you like doing it, do it. Do what makes you happy, my point was just to highlight your ill comment about certain bands.

-AC

2D_MASTER
*Insert EPIIIBITES attempt to gain an ally by agreeing here*

Nothing wrong with being a "nerd", man.

I was just saying don't point fingers that you wouldn't want pointed at yourself.

I don't actually think anything's wrong with discussing fictional character battles, if you like doing it, do it. Do what makes you happy, my point was just to highlight your ill comment about certain bands.

-AC

Well I don't care if you point you finger at me. Who the hell are you? But dont try and fawking start a internet grudge match with me... That's pretty lame and I wont play. Anyways whats wrong with posting my opinions anyways? is'nt that what forums are for? People get too piss wet over these things(You included, tough guy... its obvious by your POINTLESS bickering with EPIIIBITES).

Alpha Centauri
I'm not starting a grudge anything, I don't even know you.

You obviously do care if I point a finger, because you are the one getting pissy about it. You said people have no excuse for liking certain bands, I said one could argue that only kids have an excuse for arguing Ryu Vs Ken, but I wouldn't, because that's not the case.

You made a stupid, generalised comment and got upset when I called you on it.

Chill out.

Also, the bickering is two way. It WAS finished, HE bumped the thread.

-AC

2D_MASTER
I'm not starting a grudge anything, I don't even know you.

You obviously do care if I point a finger, because you are the one getting pissy about it. You said people have no excuse for liking certain bands, I said one could argue that only kids have an excuse for arguing Ryu Vs Ken, but I wouldn't, because that's not the case.

You made a stupid, generalised comment and got upset when I called you on it.

Chill out.

Also, the bickering is two way. It WAS finished, HE bumped the thread.

-AC

Umkay.... as long as that makes scense to you. Good job dude, you go on being the smartest most logical being in the Galaxy. Anyways, Morrissey I think lived his hay-day with the Smiths. Musically his solo carreer was substandard compared to the Smiths. That is my OPINION (this shouldnt need to be said). Hopefully people wont get pissy like SOMEONE.

Alpha Centauri
Relax, man.

I totally agree with you, and that's kind of funny in a weird way.

-AC

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
Meh... well thats what it seemed like you were saying to me. Sorry if I got you wrong. No, that's cool.

I think Marr's a genius. I've liked almost everything he's done post-Smiths...like with "Electronic" and Bernard Sumner, Kirsty McCall...and his new outfit.

But I think Morrisey's great melodic intuition really brought out the best in his music...something that can't be repeated...same with Morrison and Manzarek.

exanda kane
Had the pleasure of seeing Morrissey at Reading, entertaining and an experience. Glad they played How Soon Is Now?

EPIIIBITES
Wow...cool!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.