Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (xbox360)...MMO??? OH NOES!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Schecter
guess i can kiss my life goodbye roll eyes (sarcastic)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=162675&site=cvg

as always, nothing is set in stone, but....wow...i have wood droolio

LinixCobra
Im my opinion that is one good way to ruin a great game that it already is. KOTOR MMO would be crap and besides theres already SW Galaxies.

Morridini
I wouldn't mind a well made MMO set in the SW universe, but they should keep away from the era that the KotOR games are set in. Rather use the Exar Kun era.

AstroFan
Since its still Bioware, I have a lot of faith in this. stick out tongue

Ushgarak
I'll be frank- for all my issues with the curren computer gaming apporach to Star Wars etc, this is MUCH better ground for an MMO than Galaxies is.

SaTsuJiN
wow.. I wonder how many voice actors they're going to have to hire

General G
Originally posted by LinixCobra
Im my opinion that is one good way to ruin a great game that it already is. KOTOR MMO would be crap and besides theres already SW Galaxies.

I have to say that I agree with you, I like it the way it is.

Smasandian
But really, how many times can Bioware do the same game?

Mass Effect, KOTAR series, Jade Empire are becoming very similiar. They're great games but I think Bioware needs to do somethind different.

I do agree that this would make a pretty steller MMO, and if continue to keep the same battle system and maybe if its free. That would be fun.

But I do miss the KOTAR series if they go down this path.

LinixCobra
Originally posted by General G
I have to say that I agree with you, I like it the way it is.

Exactly.. look at what happened to Star Wars Galaxies, everyone turned to Jedi after the last update. If everyone is a Jedi then doesnt that kill most of the games design?

They should just continue with the RPG method and stay away from MMO.

Lana
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I'll be frank- for all my issues with the curren computer gaming apporach to Star Wars etc, this is MUCH better ground for an MMO than Galaxies is.

Heh, I agree. KOTOR-era is much better a setting for an MMO than Galaxies is.

Though I'm personally not a great fan of MMOs, nor do I think KOTOR was the great game most people say it is, so I'm going to be not really keen on this by default.

Ushgarak
If you kept the same battle system, people would stop playing very fast. it's broken and in an MMO that would be abused to death.

As for free... you gotta be kidding me...

Schecter

sad but true. lucasarts will most assuredly bleed us. if the fee is too high i'm not biting. final fantasy 11 for example, 10$ a month (lol) which amounts to double what your paying for xboxlive. under 5$ and ill go for it.

Morridini
I wouldn't expect it to be below 10$ a month, WoW is 15$ a month and that doesn't seem to stop people from playing it (the non-existing End Game however does). And knowing Lucasarts they will try to squeeze as much money out of us as they can.

Schecter
Originally posted by Morridini
I wouldn't expect it to be below 10$ a month, WoW is 15$ a month and that doesn't seem to stop people from playing it (the non-existing End Game however does). And knowing Lucasarts they will try to squeeze as much money out of us as they can.

i dont think they'll get away with that in the xbox market. phantasy star and final fantasy tried that crap. sure people will join, but real momentum requires more than a handful of fanboys.

Lana
$10 a month is the norm for MMOs. I highly doubt it'll go much lower than that.

Smasandian
If you kept the same battle system, people would stop playing very fast. it's broken and in an MMO that would be abused to death.

Why?

Guild Wars has done it successfully.

Problem wont happen, but like I said, the only time I would play it if they kept the same battle system and if it was free.

Morridini
Um, you don't see a problem with a battle system where u freeze time to choose what to do in an MMO?

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Smasandian
Why?

Guild Wars has done it successfully.

Problem wont happen, but like I said, the only time I would play it if they kept the same battle system and if it was free.

Again, if you kept the same battle system, you would very quickly find out how crap the game would be. It is insane to want that. Every single fight would be intensly boring as such a hosable system is hosed like crazy. Total disaster.

And Guold Wars is not truly persistent in the same way. There is no real way they are going to use a Guild Wars style model.

Smasandian
And again, I said I would consider it if they kept the same battle system and model that Guild Wars.

If it cant be done, then I dont really care then, because I would have no interest in it. I liked KOTAR for the battle system and story, if they take away the battle system, I wont play it.

Captain REX
I can feel the headaches from fanboys already...

Ushgarak
Good Lord, smas, there is a pause function endemic to the KOTOR battle system. Keep saying that all you like, but I have to say it is a weird opinon. Any reasonable analysis of that system will soon see how useless it would be for multiplay. Quite why anyone would like such a broken system is beyond me too; it was one of the game's faults (and indeed led to them making a new one, which I understand is considered much better, for Jade Empire). All you did in KOTOR was load up on damage and pick flurry or load up on force and spam lightning; that killed every foe you ever met with no challenge. That is a long, long way from the definition of a good system.

Broken systems can hang around in single player games because people can be self-absorbed enough- destroying everything they meet with no contest, not to care, though that is a great shame. In multiplayer it would never, EVER do, for obvious reasons.

Smasandian
Dude,

I'm not arguing with you at all. If you said its not going to work, fine, its not going to work, thus me not wanting to play it. That's all.

All I said was I might consider it, but if you think its not going to work, then its not going to work, and I wont consider it.

I dont like RGP's at all, especially MMO's, and the only one I liked was KOTAR because of the battle system and story. You obviously didnt like it, but I did. If they changed that formula for any reason, being an MMO, or just another game, I'm not going to like it.

If your going to keep on continueing to tell me that the system is broken and it wouldnt work for MMO's, fine....I never said it would in the beginning. All I said was that I might consider buying it if the system was there, and if it was a free model. Obviously, you dont think so, and because you probalby like RPG's alot more than I do then yeah, they'll change. If they do, I wont buy it.

SaTsuJiN
The player base is always subject to the pettiness of the developers in the end, anyways..

the best time to play an MMO is like a few years after its been released, so you don't have to deal with the gameplay adjustment soap opera

RaventheOnly
If they mixed Fable fighting engine with Knights of the old republic it would be unstoppable.

Burnt Pancakes
If they mixed Halo 2 RPG elements with Final Fanatsy it would be the best game ever.

exanda kane
Played SWG for 4 years, and I'd be glad for the change. The continuity has always been a problem with SWG, and Sony have ripped shreds into the Star Wars license, nothing is holy with them gits, but anyway, if this turns out to be more than a rumour, I will be very interested.

@stroFan
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/279/kotormmo669_screen.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6198627.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

Id still prefer a true sequel than a damn MMO, but im still excited.

Schwarzenegger
Could this be good news?

Outbound
Cant wait.

@stroFan
Im sorry, I just dont think an MMO can be nearly as good as the first KOTOR. Yes its cool to play with like 30 people, but the actual gameplay and story will be shit. Id rather have a incredibly designed single player game then an MMO where everyone runs around as a jedi.

Outbound
This is Bioware we're talking about, you naysayer mhm

@stroFan
Originally posted by Outbound
This is Bioware we're talking about, you naysayer mhm

And after Mass Effect I was hoping for a real KOTOR with the cinematic flash ME had, and possibly real time combat.

Darth Exodus
^co-signed.

Outbound
That would be cool and I hope they do something like that, but an MMO opens up much bigger areas to explore and plenty of stuff that was brushed over. The gameplay might be shit but I cant wait to find out what kind of stuff we'll be able to do, like maybe join the Sith army and fight the Republic, or something with Mandolorians - I'm thinking of the story the dude tells in Kotor 1 about how he jumped down onto a planet on a ship or something, that would be awesome to see with 30+ people playing the same war.

What would be cool, is if it included Kotor's lightside/darkside thing, so instead of actually picking a character who is on the good/evil team like most MMOs, everyone starts basically neutral and aligns themselves how they want through actions, quests, etc, that way you can swap over whenever you fell like it.

Nactous
Oh God!!

Here it comes....

Morridini
I still live in the hope that this will be a KotOR III MMO. Meaning that we get a 30+ hour long singleplayer part, and then after that we get to explore and quest in the galaxy as an MMO after the events of the singleplayer story.

Reason for me to actualy have such a dream is that the EA's chief executibe dude said that they were developing a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game that would have a massively multiplayer online component to it.

THE JLRTENJAC
Originally posted by Outbound
What would be cool, is if it included Kotor's lightside/darkside thing, so instead of actually picking a character who is on the good/evil team like most MMOs, everyone starts basically neutral and aligns themselves how they want through actions, quests, etc, that way you can swap over whenever you fell like it.

That would be cool, because then you could fall, then be redemed, and so on, instead of being good or evil the entire time.

Kazenji
ERTW2G5_9jk

Ridley_Prime
erm

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=488601&pagenumber=7

Quincy
This thread came first.

I feel the same sentiments regarding the "Rather have a straight up sequel than this mmo stuff"

I mean, how in depth and engrossing can an mmo get compared to KOTOR?

Kazenji
Originally posted by Quincy
This thread came first.

Indeed. Been around longer this thread.

Morridini
It did come first yes, but it fails in every other aspect. First off it says Xbox 360, while it is a PC game, then second it says Knights of the Old Republic, which is not the name of the game (The Old Republic).

Kazenji
Originally posted by Morridini
It did come first yes, but it fails in every other aspect. First off it says Xbox 360, while it is a PC game, then second it says Knights of the Old Republic, which is not the name of the game (The Old Republic).

Then get someone to change the title...........

not that hard.

Peach
Considering there was nothing in-depth nor engrossing about KOTOR, probably pretty easily.

Also, if you want to see an MMO that does in-depth very well, go look at Guild Wars.

Anyway, the other thread is the official one.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.