Planetary, Your Thoughts?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Galan007
Has anyone picked up this title?

IMO it's an extremely good Sci-Fi-esk series, with great artwork, and superb writing. I highly recommend it.

So what did you think?

Planetary

SnakeEyes
I read the first six issues or so and I thought it was rubbish.

One of the worst comics I've read.

Galan007
What didn't you like about it?

DigiMark007
Ellis still writes it, right? He's good...it's probably decent. No plans to read it, but they had a crossover with the Authority a while back that I'm planning to buy soon.

Galan007
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Ellis still writes it, right? He's good...it's probably decent. No plans to read it, but they had a crossover with the Authority a while back that I'm planning to buy soon. Yeah, the artwork is what turned me on the most about it, and it's got a sci-fi feel as well, (something else I came to enjoy in a comic).

And the powers each members have are unique, and in the world of comic-dom today, that's an extremely hard attribute to come by lol.

I'll admit that the series started out slow, but once you get through that... it's an excellent read IMO.

DarkCrawler
I think it's awesome series. The artwork is just...incredible. And anyone read the Batman/Planetary crossover? One of the f*cking greatest comics I have ever read.

Endless Mike
Why does it seem like Batman has a crossover with practically everyone?

manjaro
i liked planetary but i wish they didnt try to hardline it in the mainstream WS universe, cuz it begs to question how ther f **** did the authority take over america when a powerful mofo like snow was running around. and where was the authority when planetary faced a few world breaking enemies and vice versa for planetary

DigiMark007
Originally posted by manjaro
and where was the authority when planetary faced a few world breaking enemies and vice versa for planetary

You could say the same of about 90% of JSA and/or JLA arcs. Partial suspension of disbelief is needed there, unfortunately.

Originally posted by Endless Mike
Why does it seem like Batman has a crossover with practically everyone?

He's Batman.

no expression

Validus
Planetary kicks ass.

Lucid Lui
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
And anyone read the Batman/Planetary crossover? One of the f*cking greatest comics I have ever read. I looooove that comic. Awesome read.

manorastroman
planetary is definitely one of my favorites, even if it didn't tie together to my satisfaction.

guy222
Originally posted by Galan007
Has anyone picked up this title?

IMO it's an extremely good Sci-Fi-esk series, with great artwork, and superb writing. I highly recommend it.

So what did you think?

Planetary

Great art smile

SnakeEyes
Alright, so does this series get about 100 times better after the first six issues, because those issues were terrible.

I felt like each issue started over again with a new storyline and it failed to tie together by the end of that arc. The art was mediocre, at best. Cassady did it, if I'm not mistaken, and it looked much worse than his work on Astonishing X-Men.

And overall, the story just felt like rehashed stuff I've read before. Not very good at all in my book.

tjcoady
Planetary is, in my opinion, one of the best books out there. Great, self contained individual comics, plus a fantastic overall storyline. The themes/characters/ideas that are homaged are brilliant done. The meta-text of the pulp fiction heroes (Doc Brass, others) being slaughtered by the Justice League analogues was astoundingly done.

and the batman crossover was just great. personally, I liked the Planetary/JLA crossover better, with the role reversal between the Elijah Snow and the Four.

Galan007
Originally posted by tjcoady
Planetary is, in my opinion, one of the best books out there. Great, self contained individual comics, plus a fantastic overall storyline. The themes/characters/ideas that are homaged are brilliant done. The meta-text of the pulp fiction heroes (Doc Brass, others) being slaughtered by the Justice League analogues was astoundingly done.

and the batman crossover was just great. personally, I liked the Planetary/JLA crossover better, with the role reversal between the Elijah Snow and the Four. I completely agree.

Janitor Joe
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Alright, so does this series get about 100 times better after the first six issues, because those issues were terrible.

I felt like each issue started over again with a new storyline and it failed to tie together by the end of that arc. The art was mediocre, at best. Cassady did it, if I'm not mistaken, and it looked much worse than his work on Astonishing X-Men.

And overall, the story just felt like rehashed stuff I've read before. Not very good at all in my book.

It eventually ties together.

Doc Savage
It's excellent from the first issue. Jim Lees Wildstorm imprint really did break new ground.

Mr Master
This series is sick.

The correlation between fiction and science has seldom been depicted so well.

Reminds me of the late 80's early 90's when Lofficier & Roy Thomas wrote some masterpieces for Dr Strange, they always stuck to sub-stories as a bonus, last several pages of a series of issues, a separate extra story would be added to the Comic, this is where Lofficier & Roy Thomas shined. Adapting science and fantasy unlike anyother at the time.

Anyhow I recommend Planetary ... simply a great read coupled with stunning art,

and those Strange books in case anyone's interested in some oldies but goodies,

(early second series, the 20's are the best)

Galan007
Originally posted by Mr Master
This series is sick.

Reminds me of the late 80's early 90's when Lofficier & Roy Thomas wrote some masterpieces for Dr Strange, they always stuck to sub-stories as a bonus, last several pages of a series of issues, a separate extra story would be added to the Comic, this is where Lofficier & Roy Thomas shined. Adapting science and fantasy unlike anyother at the time.

(early second series, the 20's are the best) The crossovers are excellent as well, smile

Galan007
anyone pick up the new issue ?

Digi
Is that the last issue ever? I've been hearing rumors that Planetary is ending. Personally, I thought it was spectacular, as either an end to the series, or a jumping off point.

Sir Faceman
Originally posted by Mr Master
This series is sick.

(early second series, the 20's are the best)

The crossovers are excellent as well, smile

you've convinced me, think I'll give it a read..

Disappear
the only problem i have with ellis' writing is that he seems a little too set on the importance of his "new ideas." i got the same feeling from a handful of his other comics, and his book. like, as the reader, i'm not allowed to decide how interesting i find something in the book, i'm rather being shown the same thing several times and told it's something to like. it's just a strange air the book has, specifically in the beginning with the idea of the multiversal computer, that puts me off.

the time travel theory in issue 27 is genius, though. i can't fault ellis as a writer, because the guy comes up with some crazy stuff, but there are things i dislike. also, i'm responsible for him getting pissy on myspace years back, so there's that.

Galan007

Digi

Kris Blaze
Read 5 issues, like it so far.

Galan007
Originally posted by Digi
Well then damn. No more Planetary.

sad

Speaking of 3-year waits, they announced that Morrison is picking up his Authority run that lasted all of 2 issues about 3 years ago (and took forever to come out back then). It's slated for 12 issues and is being billed as the Authority's "lost year." Mildly excited about this. his previous stint on authority was good. i'm sure this one will be no different.

Digi
his previous stint on authority was good.

You mean, all 2 issues of it? I don't think we could tell much from it. Or wait, was he was the writer with Quitely for a while during Volume 1? I know they did AS Superman together, but my memory is foggy.

Black Adam
Originally posted by Disappear
i'm responsible for him getting pissy on myspace years back, so there's that.

what happened?

Cartesian Doubt
You mean, all 2 issues of it? I don't think we could tell much from it. Or wait, was he was the writer with Quitely for a while during Volume 1? I know they did AS Superman together, but my memory is foggy.

No that was Miller

I don't think Morissons going to finishing off his run. He did say that his Wildcats was going to be finished when Jim Lee gets off his arse.

Planetary is probably my favorite series. Its one of the few collections that I can read regularly without ever being bored. All these comments about it being slow are laughable. Its was one of the few comics written in the traditional format; each issue telling its own epic story. The issue where the four murder the Windstorms equivalent of the trinity is arguably the greatest issue ever written. The concepts through out are truly awe inspiring. A machine powered by the Souls of the dead, a quantum computer that can make parallel universe collide using the Copenhagen interpretation, Super humans being the antibodies of the planet earth, Angels that existing only to record information and metabolize ideas are some ideas that come to mind. The fact that Ellis uses theoretical science as a paradigm for telling fantastical stories makes the whole thing that little bit special. Also, there aren't many non-Ellisian characters out there as Badass as Elijah Snow. Basically the love child of Sherlock Homes and Indiana Jones his dialogue throughout is profound and hilarious. His relationship with the Drummer, being especially funny. I cannot recommend this comic nearly enough, it should be on everyone "bucket list". Its one of the greatest pieces of literature I ever come across. READ THIS BOOK at all costs.

"Strange World .... lets keep it that way".

Galan007
You mean, all 2 issues of it? I don't think we could tell much from it. Or wait, was he was the writer with Quitely for a while during Volume 1? I know they did AS Superman together, but my memory is foggy. oh, my mistake.

for some reason i seem to always auto-equate quitely's art with morrison's stories. embarrasment

Disappear
Originally posted by Black Adam
what happened?

dumb story. i'm sure it's more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" thing than being me setting him off solo, but who really knows? i try not to think too badly of people in his position.

i had to write a paper in my freshman critical writing class about a prospective career i might want to follow up on, and it had to include a brief interview with someone of that career. i'd just finished reading crooked little vein and nextwave, and i wanted ellis' opinion because of how much i enjoyed his stuff. i sent him a rather polite request for a few questions to be answered, didn't include the questions, and kind of tried to be a much nicer person than i actually am. he apparently didn't like it, but instead of writing back so much as a simple "no" he changed the information on his myspace page to say "i won't get you a job, i won't teach you how to write, i won't give you ideas, and i won't do your ****ing homework." or something to that effect.

anyway, it had already said something like that, but more gently. he kind of just douche-edited it, which felt like a kick in the face, but these things happen. like i said, i'm sure it wasn't the first time he'd been asked. i dont know if his myspace says the same thing now, i havent checked since a week after that happened, but that happened. that's my mark on the comic industry.

edit: just checked. still up. it says:
"NOTE: I WILL NOT TEACH YOU HOW TO WRITE COMICS. I WILL NOT TELL YOU HOW TO BREAK INTO COMICS. I WILL NOT GET YOU A JOB. I WILL NOT WRITE YOUR ****ING THESIS, ESSAYS OR OTHER ****ING HOMEWORK FOR YOU. "

Galan007
as unprofessional as his 'methods' may be, i can somewhat understand ellis' frustration. afterall, he is more than likely asked dozens of seemingly polite questions, on a daily basis. out of those true, honest to god questions, i'm sure several of them inevitably turn into "please hire me" sessions - hence his myspace comment.

....or he's just a total dick.

Disappear
that's why i don't feel any ill will or anything toward him. i'm sure it happens more than we innocent civilians think it does. i was just surprised at the bluntness of his response and how it was written. i fully anticipated that i'd likely get ignored or denied, but an impersonal edit with some malice attached wasn't what i was expecting.

anyway, planetary's a trip, huh?

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by Disappear
dumb story. i'm sure it's more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" thing than being me setting him off solo, but who really knows? i try not to think too badly of people in his position.

i had to write a paper in my freshman critical writing class about a prospective career i might want to follow up on, and it had to include a brief interview with someone of that career. i'd just finished reading crooked little vein and nextwave, and i wanted ellis' opinion because of how much i enjoyed his stuff. i sent him a rather polite request for a few questions to be answered, didn't include the questions, and kind of tried to be a much nicer person than i actually am. he apparently didn't like it, but instead of writing back so much as a simple "no" he changed the information on his myspace page to say "i won't get you a job, i won't teach you how to write, i won't give you ideas, and i won't do your ****ing homework." or something to that effect.

anyway, it had already said something like that, but more gently. he kind of just douche-edited it, which felt like a kick in the face, but these things happen. like i said, i'm sure it wasn't the first time he'd been asked. i dont know if his myspace says the same thing now, i havent checked since a week after that happened, but that happened. that's my mark on the comic industry.

edit: just checked. still up. it says:
"NOTE: I WILL NOT TEACH YOU HOW TO WRITE COMICS. I WILL NOT TELL YOU HOW TO BREAK INTO COMICS. I WILL NOT GET YOU A JOB. I WILL NOT WRITE YOUR ****ING THESIS, ESSAYS OR OTHER ****ING HOMEWORK FOR YOU. "

What an arrogant Nob ... thats really put me off him.

Fame is like a modern age Pandora's box.

Digi
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
No that was Miller

I don't think Morissons going to finishing off his run. He did say that his Wildcats was going to be finished when Jim Lee gets off his arse.

He is. Wildstorm just announced it.

But co-signed on the rest. I don't know about best ever, but Planetary is awesome.

Endless Mike
I really like it

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.