Christianity, you have made me sad today.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FeceMan
*Sighs.*

Somebody wrote that when I was discussing Ockham's razor and how Christianity and logic/reason ought to coexist. (And don't give me a smartass remark about that.)

Alliance
laughing

Well, hes correct on his initial point...but HORRIBLE application.

FeceMan
Nah, I think Ockham's razor is pretty good. It might not apply in all cases, but "keep it simple, stupid!" is a fine philosophy.

Alliance
Its nice on large scale applications.

However, Occams razor has never met quantum mech.

FeceMan
It is a good thing that most of the applications of Ockham's razor will not be using quantum mechanics.

Alliance
Do I turn left or right?

Turn both ways messed

Gregory
Occam's razor applies just fine to quantum physics. You're just using it to choose between stranger theories.

Burnt Pancakes
Originally posted by FeceMan
*Sighs.*

Somebody wrote that when I was discussing Ockham's razor and how Christianity and logic/reason ought to coexist. (And don't give me a smartass remark about that.)

Don't blame a billion people because of someones opinion.

Alliance
Originally posted by Gregory
Occam's razor applies just fine to quantum physics. You're just using it to choose between stranger theories.

I disagree. We have no mechanism for gravity...yet we accept the theory.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alliance

Well, it has proven quite accurate.Originally posted by FeceMan
*Sighs.*

Why is he talking about Bologna? Thrice?

lord xyz
Originally posted by FeceMan
(And don't give me a smartass remark about that.) But, but...that's all I do. cry

inimalist
Its nice on large scale applications.

However, Occams razor has never met quantum mech.

wtf are you talking about?

occam's razor is crucial to quantum physics

the REAL occam's razor has nothing to do with "simplicity". Generally speaking, if there are two equally plausable answers to a question, you choose the answer that proposes fewer unknowns about the universe.

In quantum mechanics, this keeps people from the crazy stuff. Consciousness or quantum telepathy, and all that other quantum nonsense are only refutable because occam's razor says they are ridiculous. It is the fact that there are such vast unknowns in quantum that occam's razor becomes absolutely necessary.

inimalist

occam's razor has nothing to do with proposed mechanisms

that is falsifiability and replication

King Kandy
Occams razor is such:

"If two theories provide equal powers of prediction, the one which proposes the fewest hypotheticals is usually better."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.