What is Your Opinion Regarding Separation of Church and State?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

~Flamboyant~
Do you believe that the Church and State should be seperated? Or the opposite?

AngryManatee
Seperated most definitely.

ADarksideJedi
Not sure what you mean by separted?jm

AngryManatee
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Not sure what you mean by separted?jm

The idea of government not being influenced by religion.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by ~Flamboyant~

Definately separated.

Shakyamunison

Separate. But I don't know what you mean by opposite.

Badabing
I don't think that any Religion should make policy here in the US, Atheism included. Obviously lawmakers and politicians have beliefs which may play a part in decisions but should not override the rule of law or the will of the people.

Alliance
Originally posted by Badabing
I don't think that any Religion should make policy here in the US, Atheism included. Obviously lawmakers and politicians have beliefs which may play a part in decisions but should not override the rule of law or the will of the people.

However, as representatives of a pluralistic society, they are obligated to make secular decisions based on public policy, not on thier religious beliefs or the opium of the masses.

Fishy
Separated at all costs, should a government make decisions based on religion the government should be removed from office.

Any government that puts their own religion above all the people or that claims to work for a deity no matter which one is just insane and should not be allowed to make decisions for millions of people.

Mindship
Separated, absolutely. Humanity is not evolved/mature enough to avoid the MGIBTYG mindset of organized religion. Neither does it exercise the skillset for accessing any transcendent realities which may actually exist, allowing truly enlightened decisions on how societies might best be run.

ADarksideJedi
I have to say it has it's pros and cons.If something comes up that has to do with the church and the goverment I think they should get involved.jm

Alliance
Originally posted by Fishy
Separated at all costs, should a government make decisions based on religion the government should be removed from office.

Any government that puts their own religion above all the people or that claims to work for a deity no matter which one is just insane and should not be allowed to make decisions for millions of people.

See: Turkey.

Brilliant system, Ataturk's.

Boris
Originally posted by Fishy

I agree.

debbiejo
It wish it was a bit more seperate than it is.

Symmetric Chaos
Seperated.

"Give unto Cesear"

Starhawk

Religion shouldn't be allowed in politics under ANY circumstances.

Devil King
I find it interseting that everyone in this thread that represents the religious aspect of the United States has cliamed they don't understand the definition of the word "seperated". But what is more interesting is who has not posted in this thread. I guess "seperation of church and state" doesn't apply to christians. Can you really blame them? Once they open their hypocritical faces, they've already lost. So I guess the best tactic is to say nothing at all. Oh, and Jackie, you still suck.

Alliance
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Seperated.

"Give unto Cesear"

The Christiand never gave anything to Caesar. They must have been bad Christians.

Strangelove
Absolutely separate

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Alliance
The Christiand never gave anything to Caesar. They must have been bad Christians.

I was quoting good old Jesus. As far as I'm concerned the whole "give unto Ceaser that which is Ceaser's and give unto God that which is God's" thing is basicly a religious recognition of the need for a spereration between the church and state.

However in that specific case I suppose it could be taken as intended to protect the religion from destruction by the state rather than the state from the influence of religion.

Burnt Pancakes
Originally posted by Devil King
I find it interseting that everyone in this thread that represents the religious aspect of the United States has cliamed they don't understand the definition of the word "seperated". But what is more interesting is who has not posted in this thread. I guess "seperation of church and state" doesn't apply to christians. Can you really blame them? Once they open their hypocritical faces, they've already lost. So I guess the best tactic is to say nothing at all. Oh, and Jackie, you still suck.

Or maybe us Christians just dont give a sh*t, and realize that trying to associate with you people is near impossible?

Ytse
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
However in that specific case I suppose it could be taken as intended to protect the religion from destruction by the state rather than the state from the influence of religion.

Well, it goes both ways. Governent also cannot meddle with religion. Well, it shouldn't anyway. Though I do make exceptions for murder-cults and ridiculous things like that.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Burnt Pancakes
Or maybe us Christians just dont give a sh*t, and realize that trying to associate with you people is near impossible?

Did it ever occur to that the reason it is near-impossible for you Christians to associate with the rest us is because of you Christians?

Ytse
Originally posted by Burnt Pancakes

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Did it ever occur to you that you Christians are the reason it is near-impossible for you to associate with the rest us?

Sweeping generalizations don't help anything anywhere.

Nellinator
Seperation is okay. It doesn't matter that much.

Did it ever occur to that the reason it is near-impossible for you Christians to associate with the rest us is because of you Christians? Irony anyone?

Symmetric Chaos
Did it ever occur to that the reason it is near-impossible for you Christians to associate with the rest us is because of you Christians?

What the f**k?

Atlantis001

Alliance
perhaps we should realize that rules that are thousands of years old are not necesariyl geared towards a modern society.

FeceMan
My stance?

Preventing the United States from becoming what England once was is a good thing. Squalling "separation of church and state!" endlesslly while being completely ignorant about the context of the whole thing--seriously, I guarantee that many people believe that "separation of church and state" is in the Constitution--is just annoying.

While Christians have done bad things in the past, their actions are not consistant with true biblical teachings and thus cannot be used to accurately evaluate Christianity.

Alliance
Originally posted by FeceMan
While Christians have done bad things in the past, their actions are not consistant with true biblical teachings and thus cannot be used to accurately evaluate Christianity.

Not true. They simply exploit contradictions which you ignore.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Devil King
I guess "seperation of church and state" doesn't apply to christians.

^ Wrong.

Im Christian, yet I support seperation.

debbiejo
If I remember correctly, I think it was the Baptists that tried to persuade our early legislators to institute it. Could you imagined if they would have suceeded? The fundamentalists grew out of that group.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Alliance
Not true. They simply exploit contradictions which you ignore. They exploit contradictions? What "contradiction" was used to support the crusades? The Inquisition? Those had little to do with the Bible and much more to do with church authority.

Jim Reaper
The new draft of the E.U. Constitution will omit mention of God. They're going the seperation route...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.