I like cartoons better.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sam Z
I started reading comicbooks 4 years ago. But before I started I already knew half of the marvel and dc characters... From cartoons. It was not that easy to get books in russia (actually it still isn't that easy), since they are not that popular here. So before I got to read books i've been following adventures of my favorite heroes (Spider-man, x-men, superman, bats etc) by watching the toons, and it was all fun. Plain and simple...
Then I found a way to buy and download any book I want, so I wanted to learn my favorite characters' real origins that are a bit different from the toons version.
But what I find out? I find out that my favorite superhero has 70 years of comicbook history and over 5000 books, I find out that he was twice killed, 3 times resurrected and the girl that he was dating in the toon is long time dead. And he's the one who killed her... So I say "f#@k this" and go watch episodes of good old tv shows where everything is not that complicated.
That was just an example, but I think you got my point.

Soljer
Yeah, cartoons often have MUCH less convoluted continuity. But at the same time, I think the quality of the story in the cartoons is often poorer than in the books.

Nataku8188
Cartoons lack any of the depth of the comics. They suck.

Badabing
I like both. The cartoons are easier to follow but the comics are more in depth.

llagrok
Cartoons lack violence, proper story and depth.

I know that it can be hell buying comics and actually finding them, but just the fact that cartoons are more available, doesn't mean that they're better.

Evil_Ash
Originally posted by llagrok
Cartoons lack violence, proper story and depth.

Then I take it you haven't seen the DCAU.

llagrok
Originally posted by Evil_Ash
Then I take it you haven't seen the DCAU.

DCAU?

Evil_Ash
DCAU?

DC Animated Universe; Batman The Animated Series, Justice League Unlimited, etc.

Symmetric Chaos
Both have obvious merits. If the cartoons had some really good writers they'd be pretty awsome since the continuity is far simpler.

llagrok
DC Animated Universe; Batman The Animated Series, Justice League Unlimited, etc.

They didn't seem to have that much gore in them.

Evil_Ash
They didn't seem to have that much gore in them.

Gore?

If I want gore, then I watch a splatter movie.

When it comes down to comics or superhero cartoons, I'm looking for intriguing stories and awesome action.

llagrok
Gore?

If I want gore, then I watch a splatter movie.

When comes to comics, or superhero cartoons, I'm looking for intriguing stories and awesome action.

When my anti hero rips the bad guys in half, I want blood.

Symmetric Chaos
When my anti hero rips the bad guys in half, I want blood.

I usually expect bones and organs along with the blood. Then again . . .

Endless Mike
Since when was "gore" defined as a good thing in general?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Endless Mike

It depends entirely on one's personality.

guy222
Originally posted by Sam Z
I started reading comicbooks 4 years ago. But before I started I already knew half of the marvel and dc characters... From cartoons. It was not that easy to get books in russia (actually it still isn't that easy), since they are not that popular here. So before I got to read books i've been following adventures of my favorite heroes (Spider-man, x-men, superman, bats etc) by watching the toons, and it was all fun. Plain and simple...
Then I found a way to buy and download any book I want, so I wanted to learn my favorite characters' real origins that are a bit different from the toons version.
But what I find out? I find out that my favorite superhero has 70 years of comicbook history and over 5000 books, I find out that he was twice killed, 3 times resurrected and the girl that he was dating in the toon is long time dead. And he's the one who killed her... So I say "f#@k this" and go watch episodes of good old tv shows where everything is not that complicated.
That was just an example, but I think you got my point.

I love comics and cartoons

llagrok

They're not "good" but they make it a bit more realistic. Cartoons are still fun though, but not comparable to comics or anime.

Endless Mike
They're not "good" but they make it a bit more realistic. Cartoons are still fun though, but not comparable to comics or anime.

You're reading comics about guys flying around in tights shooting lasers out of their eyes and you expect realism?

What If...
Get an imagination, stop being a drone, and maybe you'll enjoy reading comics more than watching them.

Charlotte DeBel
Can't blame SamZ. Actually in Russia 70%or even more comics fans got their basic knowledge of comics characters from TV cartoons.
And then the miracle called DC++ appeared... The comics published in Russia are often not translated properly...and that makes them less pleasant to read.

Of course, there's some odds about it. For example, Emma Frost appeared in only a few episodes of X-Men Animated series...And in Russia poor woman became a victim of lame translator who mistook her surname for a codename and called her "Emma Purga" (which can be translated in English as "Emma Snowstorm"wink...

The only character I love in cartoons even more than in comics is Gambit. He's the character who was my first favourite Marvel hero... based on his cartoon appearance.

llagrok
You're reading comics about guys flying around in tights shooting lasers out of their eyes and you expect realism?

Yes, actually I do. You think it's good that they remove blood and gore from the cartoons and try to justify it with "well, they can fly, so why should they bleed" ?

CasanoVa
Yes, actually I do. You think it's good that they remove blood and gore from the cartoons and try to justify it with "well, they can fly, so why should they bleed" ?

Bollocks.

Superhero cartoons are widely aimed at youngsters, if they had people getting torn in half and heads torn off with blood going everywhere they would not be appropriate for their target audience. Therefore they ensure no such violence happens in their shows, this doesn't give them any less depth, it only serves to make the cartoons actually appropriate for their viewers, rather than showing gore and recieving thousands of complaints from angry parents and evangelists.

erm.

llagrok
Originally posted by CasanoVa
Bollocks.

Superhero cartoons are widely aimed at youngsters, if they had people getting torn in half and heads torn off with blood going everywhere they would not be appropriate for their target audience. Therefore they ensure no such violence happens in their shows, this doesn't give them any less depth, it only serves to make the cartoons actually appropriate for their viewers, rather than showing gore and recieving thousands of complaints from angry parents and evangelists.

erm.

Exactly. Which is why I don't like cartoons as much as comics smile

CasanoVa
Exactly. Which is why I don't like cartoons as much as comics smile

Because they do what they're supposed to? erm

I like comics more now, but when I was younger I wouldn't have got into comics without all of those superhero cartoons. It's a symbiotic relationship.

llagrok

I like comics more now, but when I was younger I wouldn't have got into comics without all of those superhero cartoons. It's a symbiotic relationship.

I'm not allowed to dislike cartoon?

It's aimed at a younger audience, thus I do not like it as much as comics. Do you have a problem with that?

SpunkySmurph

I like comics more now, but when I was younger I wouldn't have got into comics without all of those superhero cartoons. It's a symbiotic relationship. As did I, but I understand the view that, once a sense of maturity has been established, it's nice to view the material in a format where everything hasn't been toned down so that ten year olds can safley watch it.

I can understand liking comics more for the blood/gore, for the darker themes, for the real drama.

Do I think cartoons should have more of that? Hell no. I wouldn't have wanted to be scarred as an eight year old. Now I can appreciate it in comics though.

shksprtx

Perhaps the better word is believability...

Superman flying around and shooting laser beams out of his eyes is NOT realistic, but it is intended to be believable within the context of the story-world in which he resides...

The same goes for the blood/gore/violence part of it...we expect that, if Superman IS going to have his arse handed to him by some supervillain, that he might be bruised and bloody by the time it's all over.

Cartoons sanitize that sort of thing, while comics (good ones at least) include it to let you know that the character did in fact take a beating...

llagrok
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
As did I, but I understand the view that, once a sense of maturity has been established, it's nice to view the material in a format where everything hasn't been toned down so that ten year olds can safley watch it.

I can understand liking comics more for the blood/gore, for the darker themes, for the real drama.

Do I think cartoons should have more of that? Hell no. I wouldn't have wanted to be scarred as an eight year old. Now I can appreciate it in comics though.

Seconded!

I think it's good that they leave out gore and such from cartoons. Although they could add in a little blood. Several kids did in fact die, when attempting to recreate scenes from Power Rangers. The characters there never bled, after being beaten up. Which is why I think it's good to perhaps add a little blood, which they've done in a lot of good cartoons.

I'm not a big fan of blood and gore, but I think it's only natural that it's there. It's not like I'd stop buying a comic if it didn't have violence, but I'd think twice before buying one where people are being split in half and no blood comes out smile

CasanoVa
I'm not allowed to dislike cartoon?

It's aimed at a younger audience, thus I do not like it as much as comics. Do you have a problem with that?

Yes.

OB1-adobe
I prefer cartoons over comics. In actuality its more like I prefer cartoons over comics, and comics over movies, and movies over TV.

At least the cartoon ends at some point, and these days usually on a good note.

I agree with the poster that its a symbiout relationship.

Personally I bleieve thats where marvel's and DC's future lay in.

Sam Z
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
Can't blame SamZ. Actually in Russia 70%or even more comics fans got their basic knowledge of comics characters from TV cartoons.
And then the miracle called DC++ appeared... The comics published in Russia are often not translated properly...and that makes them less pleasant to read.

Of course, there's some odds about it. For example, Emma Frost appeared in only a few episodes of X-Men Animated series...And in Russia poor woman became a victim of lame translator who mistook her surname for a codename and called her "Emma Purga" (which can be translated in English as "Emma Snowstorm"wink...

The only character I love in cartoons even more than in comics is Gambit. He's the character who was my first favourite Marvel hero... based on his cartoon appearance.

Exactly. If it wasn't for cartoons I (and lots of other people) wouldn't be familliar with most of the characters. I think I wouldn't be even reading books if it wasn't for cartoons.
Besides, TV shows now seem to effect comicbooks as well.
X-23 would be a nice example.

llagrok
X-23 from x-men evolution was quite different, but yeah. Cartoons can affect comics as well now it seems.

WrathfulDwarf
As a comic book fanatic and DC comics loyalist. I'm really not too fond of Cartoons.

Here is a good example why:

ujnq2D4PtvI&mode=related&search=

I understand they're intended for a younger audience. To be honest, I do find them entertaining....but seriously...they're very silly when compare to the comics.

Big Sexy
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
As a comic book fanatic and DC comics loyalist. I'm really not too fond of Cartoons.

I understand they're intended for a younger audience. To be honest, I do find them entertaining....but seriously...they're very silly when compare to the comics. Yeah that would never happen in comics stick out tongue ( except for the last few showings)

WrathfulDwarf
Well, it did happen...but not to that extreme.

Don't spoiled for the kiddies. stick out tongue

Evil_Ash
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

How is that a good example?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.