Human Torch vs. Storm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Faceman
To the death! eek!

2damnloud
Storm

llagrok
Torch

Roldz
Could'nt Storm just summon Rain, hail, ice storms depowering the Human torch..

Badabing
Supernova ftw.

Roldz
Yeah i quess there's that but in order for him to do that, he needs close in proximity to storm, rain/ice storms should prevent him from being in proximity to her..

Soljer
Torch for a majority. Good fight, though.

2damnloud
Does he still need oxygen to make fire??

If so, Storm can intantly create a localized vacuum and hit him a positive bolt of lightning instantly incinerating him.no expression

CasanoVa
Yeah, 'cause it's not like Torch could have easily killed her last time they fought, or anything roll eyes (sarcastic)

What If...
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=426969& amp;highlight=title%3A%28human+torch+vs+storm%29+f
orumid%3A77

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=415805& amp;highlight=title%3A%28human+torch+vs+storm%29+f
orumid%3A77

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=402596& amp;highlight=title%3A%28human+torch+vs+storm%29+f
orumid%3A77

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=371756& amp;highlight=title%3A%28human+torch+vs+storm%29+f
orumid%3A77

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=313010& amp;highlight=title%3A%28human+torch+vs+storm%29+f
orumid%3A77

It's been done.
and done.
and done.

Ytse
Doesn't lightning just follow a path of plasma? If that hit the plasma field around HT then would it disrupt it?

2damnloud
Originally posted by Ytse
Doesn't lightning just follow a path of plasma? If that hit the plasma field around HT then would it disrupt it?

confused

Ytse
Originally posted by 2damnloud
confused

After the step leader and the streamer meet, the ionized air (plasma) has completed its journey to the earth, leaving a conductive path from the cloud to the earth. With this path complete, current flows between the earth and the cloud.

From: http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/h/humantorchii.htm

The Human Torch possesses the mental ability to control ambient heat energy and the physical ability to envelop his entire body or portionsof his body with fiery plasma without harm to himself.

If the path if ionized air necessary to create a path for lightning met with the plasma field around his body wouldn't that interrupt any conduction?

Perhaps there's no precedent in the comics. I'm not sure.

TricksterPriest
given that it's comic book physics and science, I doubt they actually considered that as an idea. But if in fact, this does apply, Torch can take a solid majority.

Symmetric Chaos

After the step leader and the streamer meet, the ionized air (plasma) has completed its journey to the earth, leaving a conductive path from the cloud to the earth. With this path complete, current flows between the earth and the cloud.

From: http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/h/humantorchii.htm

The Human Torch possesses the mental ability to control ambient heat energy and the physical ability to envelop his entire body or portionsof his body with fiery plasma without harm to himself.

If the path if ionized air necessary to create a path for lightning met with the plasma field around his body wouldn't that interrupt any conduction?

Perhaps there's no precedent in the comics. I'm not sure.

Storm can target and control her lightning with a good degree of accuracy. Coupled with comic physics and since I'll bet she's hit stranger things (and Torch has probably been hit by lightning before) I'd say he has no defense against a blast of lighting execpt being faster than Storm.

2damnloud
How come Torch can tak e SOLID MAJORITY, yet Storm handles him EASILY on panel.

There are actually a couple different theories on lightining, only thing for sure is, they involve positive and negative charges.

How did you come up with "interupt the conduction"??

Electrical charge has nothing to do with fire with regard to it being an option for Torch's demise.

If that is true, Storm can EASILY extinquish his flame with wind, or a vaccum, and THEN fry him with lightining.no expression

Ytse
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Storm can target and control her lightning with a good degree of accuracy. Coupled with comic physics and since I'll bet she's hit stranger things (and Torch has probably been hit by lightning before) I'd say he has no defense against a blast of lighting execpt being faster than Storm.

Well, if what I said would hold true it wouldn't matter how accurate she was since the "circuit" wouldn't be completed. Though comic book physics could negate that line of reasoning entirely. I mean, even spider-man could dodge lightning somehow (Secret Wars when he fights the X-Men).

HandOfFate
Dang, Six times. eek!

Anyway, lightning bolt for the win. The heat from the bolt won't hurt him but the electricity is going to do some damage.

masterkit
Storm.

Symmetric Chaos
Well, if what I said would hold true it wouldn't matter how accurate she was since the "circuit" wouldn't be completed. Though comic book physics could negate that line of reasoning entirely. I mean, even spider-man could dodge lightning somehow (Secret Wars when he fights the X-Men).

Basicly the end of my post was a long way of saying comic logic negates your reasoning.

Spidey can dodge due to his precog giving him prior warning. Presumably at the first stages of the bolt forming.

Symmetric Chaos

If that is true, Storm can EASILY extinquish his flame with wind, or a vaccum, and THEN fry him with lightining.no expression

IIRC Torch grenerates the flame with energy from his own body. Much like gunpowder he is providing the energy for the flame not the atmosphere.

Ytse
Spidey can dodge due to his precog giving him prior warning. Presumably at the first stages of the bolt forming.

How long does it take from the time the bolt begins to form til it hits the target? Tiny tiny tiny fractions of a second.

Symmetric Chaos
How long does it take from the time the bolt begins to form til it hits the target? Tiny tiny tiny fractions of a second.

Yes but I figured that the warning automatically comes at a time when Spidey will still have enough time to react.

Ytse
Yes but I figured that the warning automatically comes at a time when Spidey will still have enough time to react.

I think it's more likely that the surprise coupled with the extreme agility of Spider-Man hopping around that room effected her accuracy.

Sorry for the tangent, btw.

Symmetric Chaos
I think it's more likely that the surprise coupled with the extreme agility of Spider-Man hopping around that room effected her accuracy.

Sorry for the tangent, btw.

srug Meh.

Torch can win after a while unless he does something drastic to over power her quickly. I'd say Storm 6/10.

grey fox
So when did Storm become fire-proof ? Or better yet when did Johnny become susceptible to pissy amounts of water.

Rain does Jack Shit , it'll evap as would hail ect.

The only way to forcibly put him out (save for unconsciousness) is for him to use up all the oxygen in the room or hit a LARGE body of water (Ocean , lake ect)

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by grey fox
So when did Storm become fire-proof ? Or better yet when did Johnny become susceptible to pissy amounts of water.

Since she gained power over the winds that makes it concievable to redirect flames that are shot at her.

The only way to forcibly put him out (save for unconsciousness) is for him to use up all the oxygen in the room or hit a LARGE body of water (Ocean , lake ect)

. . . how about a bolt of lightning through the chest . . .

Swanky-Tuna
I'd say he has no defense against a blast of lighting execpt being faster than Storm.
The closest you have is absorbing energy from power lines.

grey fox
Since she gained power over the winds that makes it concievable to redirect flames that are shot at her.

Supernova

. . . how about a bolt of lightning through the chest . . .

That's unconciosuness

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
The closest you have is absorbing energy from power lines.

Passively or with concentration?

What If...

Storm has snuffed his flames before.

Symmetric Chaos
Supernova

I guess she could run away. Besides is that really his normal fighting style?

That's unconciosuness

Or a kill. Either way it would be a win.

grey fox
I guess she could run away. Besides is that really his normal fighting style?

Or a kill. Either way it would be a win.

Yes because OBVIOUSLY summoning tornado's , hailing your opponents to death , flooding the surroundings with water in a futile attempt to put out your foe

These are all tactics used consistently by Storm eh ? No wonder muties are so hated considering she must destroy any city they encounter...

Badabing
Yes because OBVIOUSLY summoning tornado's , hailing your opponents to death , flooding the surroundings with water in a futile attempt to put out your foe

These are all tactics used consistently by Storm eh ? No wonder muties are so hated considering she must destroy any city they encounter... Damn muties! durfist

Supernova ftw.

Symmetric Chaos

These are all tactics used consistently by Storm eh ? No wonder muties are so hated considering she must destroy any city they encounter...

Eh?

I've only been working with two of her powers. Wind and Lightning which she uses more than anything else.

Wind to defend against most of Torch's attacks (sans Supernova) and lighning to knock him out of the sky.

grey fox
Eh?

I've only been working with two of her powers. Wind and Lightning which she uses more than anything else.

Wind to defend against most of Torch's attacks (sans Supernova) and lighning to knock him out of the sky.

I was satirising the concept of you using 'Normal fighting styles' . 99% of the matches are usually BL.

2damnloud
Can he block/is he fast enough to block the cuncussive force of flying shards of metal and glass flying at supersonic speeds??

Can he sustain himself again an electrical wind vortex?

All this also notwithstanding she can snuff out his flames with easeno expression

Symmetric Chaos
I was satirising the concept of you using 'Normal fighting styles' . 99% of the matches are usually BL.

If BL means what I think it does then. Yes you're right. But forum rules still say "in character".

srug Supernova is probably an auto win but thats a boring way to debate.

2damnloud
If BL means what I think it does then. Yes you're right. But forum rules still say "in character".

srug Supernova is probably an auto win but thats a boring way to debate.

Can't she just stand there and absorb the Supernova. She has abosorbed more energy than that.shifty

Badabing
Can't she just stand there and absorb the Supernova. She has abosorbed more energy than that.shifty laughing durfist

Symmetric Chaos
Can he block/is he fast enough to block the cuncussive force of flying shards of metal and glass flying at supersonic speeds??

Glass would do nothing if he amped his heat high enough.

Where are they fighting anyway?

Can he sustain himself again an electrical wind vortex?

Ya mean a tornader?

All this also notwithstanding she can snuff out his flames with easeno expression

I don't think she can do that.

Swanky-Tuna
Passively or with concentration?
I think it was described as with concentration and he didn't like doing it.

One of the things I need to do... read Fantastic Four. Although I trust the guy's judgment who said Torch did it, although I can't remember the spelling of his name, I still feel bad relaying word of mouth feats.

HandOfFate
Unless I miss something, Johnny can't instantly just jump to supernova heat, it takes him time to reach those level.

2damnloud
Originally posted by HandOfFate
Unless I miss something, Johnny can't instantly just jump to supernova heat, it takes him time to reach those level.

You know they always give an opponent of Storm insane levels and one-time feats. roll eyes (sarcastic)

He can now do it INSTANTLY before she can react.

Badabing
Torch heats up, goes to Supernova, burns Storm, Storm no more.

CasanoVa
You know they always give an opponent of Storm insane levels and one-time feats. roll eyes (sarcastic)

He can now do it INSTANTLY before she can react.

Yeah, 'cause Johnny's never gone supernova before or anything erm.

It doesnt take that long, Storm goes down, the fight between them that happened in contest of champions was pretty accurate I think.

2damnloud
Originally posted by Badabing

Not before she FRIES him with positive Lightning for which she can create INSTANTLY.

She's already OWNED him.

Badabing
Not before she FRIES him with positive Lightning for which she can create INSTANTLY.

She's already OWNED him. Supernove>>>>>Lightning. Supernova = BBQ Storm.

Blair Wind
I gotta give this to storm erm 7/10

2damnloud
Supernove>>>>>Lightning. Supernova = BBQ Storm.

confused

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/1663/stormvshumantorch33mk.jpg
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3481/stormvshumantorch45fm.jpg

laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing

"Winds right in my face "......"I'm being hammered FLAT"......"OH MY GOD"

I know that's rightlaughing

2damnloud
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3137/xtremexmen22p22hgwellsjp1.th.jpg

laughing Imagine the possibilities

jasonk3

blink but like...what if storm makes it RAIN....and also you forget she has lightning in her brain dur

2damnloud
All she has to do is create a wind storm which would snuff out his flame as SEEN ABOVE, and before he can react, pieces of steel would be sure to follow at supersonic speeds impaling him omnidirectionally.eek!

What If...
laughing

2damnloud
Originally posted by What If...
laughing

She can create that.no expression

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/1756/xmenunlimited0142fb5.th.jpg

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Blair Wind
I gotta give this to storm erm 7/10

w00t

jasonk3
confused

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/1663/stormvshumantorch33mk.jpg
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3481/stormvshumantorch45fm.jpg

laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing

"Winds right in my face "......"I'm being hammered FLAT"......"OH MY GOD"

I know that's rightlaughing

confused Storm wins, I guess

Symmetric Chaos
Johhny is holding back tremendously against a bloodlusted Storm in that fight.

2damnloud
Johhny is holding back tremendously against a bloodlusted Storm in that fight.

Trying to crush someone with a building does not= holdingbackno expression

He just didn't have the balls to kill her once he saw that she could suspend the very building being used for her demise in mid-air.

Notwithstanding her winds can snuff out his flame and her impaling him the sharp metal and glass objects.no expression

Symmetric Chaos
Trying to crush someone with a building does not= holdingbackno expression

He just didn't have the balls to kill her once he saw that she could suspend the very building being used for her demise in mid-air.

no expression Read the last few panels. He's not scared he just doesn't want to kill her because he decided fighting is stupid.

That's the definition of holding back.

I agree Storm wins but that scan isn't good evidence. Especially since direct confontations between characters are rarely fair.

2damnloud
no expression Read the last few panels. He's not scared he just doesn't want to kill her because he decided fighting is stupid.

That's the definition of holding back.

I agree Storm wins but that scan isn't good evidence. Especially since direct confontations between characters are rarely fair.

He meant to kill her with the building, then held back.

The scan does prove that her winds snuff out his flame, if only momentarily, it is enough for her to hurl dibris at him with the same winds.

HandOfFate
Just hit him with a lightning bolt and be done with it.

I thought it was kind of funny how she never tried to hit Johnny with a lightning bolt during their battle but went all Lightning Fury on Thor. smile

2damnloud
Originally posted by HandOfFate
Just hit him with a lightning bolt and be done with it.

laughing rolling on floor laughing

Swanky-Tuna
He meant to kill her with the building, then held back.
Whoa, what were the circumstances around that? Why was he trying to kill her?

2damnloud
Storm strikes him with lightning ftw.

It's so funny how EASILY she wins this. It's almost mis-matchedlaughinglaughing

I at least like to be creative with her powers, but she wins here easily.

Badabing
Human Torch's heat halo deflects lightning back at Storm. Johnny ftw.

2damnloud
Human Torch's heat halo deflects lightning back at Storm. Johnny ftw.

Storm't lightning is coming at an average of 93,000 mile per second.

He's dead before he can complete a thought.no expression

Badabing
Storm't lightning is coming at an average of 93,000 mile per second.

He's dead before he can complete a thought.no expression Heat halo is always up. Johnny's on fire!!!!! Heat halo up = Storm BBQ.

durfist

Charlotte DeBel
Comics book physics is sometimes funny. For example, if Jonny tried to use Supernova on someone in closed room, everything in his vicinity (including probably Jonny himself) would be destroyed with a force Jonny has absolutely no control over- air pressure wave, created by burning the air round him.It's like vacuum bomb effect.

Though in small amounth and on some distance such attack is plausible...and the opponent gets extra hit with pressure wave.

As for the fight, I don't know. Storm's winds were shown being able to extinguish Jonny's flames multiple times. If Storm performs her STRONGEST wind attack on Human Torch, he would be blown off like a candle and have at least a couple of bones in his body broken...if not more. But sadly, both this and Supernova take time to perform- and at least a lot of concentration (the last is the reason why Human Torch is vulnerable to speedblitz in this state (if his opponent has protection from flames, of course)).
Due to multiple showings of Torch being extinguished by Storm, I'll probably give it to Storm- 5-6\10. That has nothing to do with my dislike of Human Torch...and neither I'm a great Storm fan.

Ytse
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
Comics book physics is sometimes funny.

Yeah. It's arbitrary how writers pick and choose which parts of reality they'll use in a story and which parts they'll ignore. So when it comes down to arguments like this it's a bit tricky but generally precedence in comics will carry more weight, I suppose.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.