Loonly Tunes Offenive?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ADarksideJedi
On TCM (Basic Cable channel) saturdays they show Old Loonly Tunes from the thirtys to the fortys.I was watching it today and before a certain cartoon a guy said that be warn that this one could offend some people.
On most of the shows it does (inleast I see anyway)A black man or a Native American being stupid and looking like a fool infront of certain people.
Do you think that the guy should had warn everyone before the show?During that time they made fun of them and got away with it.In now adays you can't say anything at all.
My question is because it no longer airs on tv if they stop showing it because of this?Any sugguestions?jm

inimalist
Its a fine line

while I would never support this harsh of censorship, we cannot avoid the fact that we are influenced (if only in subtle and annoying ways) by what we see on the media.

I love old loony toons though, so I say long live bugs bunny!

ADarksideJedi
Me too!It is also a cartoon.Other cartoons make fun of different stuff like gays and religion.One good exsample is Familiy guy.Why no one called to say so and they still have that show on the air.
If Family Guy can make fun of those sort of things so can Loony Tunes!jm

inimalist
Loony toons is aimed at children though, whereas family guy is a "satire", so they get to do whatever they want and can turn around and go "ha, but we are just making fun".

There is the context too. Racist jokes on tv are normally funny because of the person telling them looking like an idiot, rather than the victim looking bad, whereas with loony toons it is a direct caricature of blacks.

I'm with you though. I think some toon networks still carry them at like 12 midnight for us older fans.

ADarksideJedi
Really?What channel is it on?and what does satire mean?Sorry that word is new to me.Glad you argee with me you do ma ke a point there.The dvds are out so I have to go buy thoses and also there is always saturday morning loony tunes on TCM(11:30)AM in case you are interested!
I noted also on the dvd of old disney cartoons the same warning is told because of a certain Goofy cartoon that makes fun of Native americans and also one of people from mexico or blacks.JM

Shelbert Lemon
I dont watch TCM.

ADarksideJedi
Do you watch Loony Tunes?jm

Shelbert Lemon
yes.. well I used to messed ...No its not offensive material. ....TCM is wacked.

ADarksideJedi
If you don't like old movies.I do enjoy them.Got to get some sleep.Night.jm

Grinning Goku
What the hell is a Loonly Tune?

Burnt Pancakes
I'm black and I've never found Cartoon's offensive.

~Flamboyant~
Loonly Tunes?

or

Loony Toons.

BackFire
Anyone offended by a cartoon is an idiot who deserves their discomfort.

Devil King
I'm personally offended by Roots.

BackFire
But that's how plants grow.

Naz
I was watching Popeye the sailor man one time and he said "I've never made love on technicolor before". i thought it was funny.

Violent K
Get Boomerang.

King Nothing
Personally, cartoons don't offend me, but. . .those cartoons from way back in THOSE days aren't making fun, they're just going on along with the times and back in those times, minorities were shown to be inferior. At least now when a certain race is made to look bad on a cartoon, it's most likely a joke. Back in the the day, the people made the minority characters exactly how they seen them and thought the race should be portrayed.

Should the old cartoons like these be taken away. . . no, but should there be a warning. . .yes.

Fishy
There shouldn't be a warning and they shouldn't be taken away.

They are cartoons they are portraying a part of the culture in those days. Fact is that people believe different things now then they did back then, there is nothing wrong with that. That is just how the world works. Anybody that can't see that deserves to be offended by these cartoons.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Devil King
I'm personally offended by Roots.

I heard He-Man supports occultism.

ADarksideJedi
How can He-man get you involve in a cult?jm

debbiejo
I believe the early cartoons like Disney and loony toons were not aimed at children. There was no censorship, it was only in theaters for all audiences, a little clip before a movie feature. At that time I believe going to theaters was more a past time of adults more than children.

Bardock42
Ask Adam_Poe

ADarksideJedi
Why what would he say?jm

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Bardock42
I heard He-Man supports occultism.

vZjC1vw2nSY

long pig
Old Looney Tunes shows are whacked. They go from Bugs Bunny dressing up like Aunt Jemima with gigantic fat, red lips and doing laundry to Daffy Duck pulling a gun out on someone, shooting them in the face, killing them and then shooting himself in the head.

Hell, once Daffy dressed up as a Black Mammy, sang "Mammy's little baby loves shortening bread" and was deathly afraid of animals. They show Asians as quiet, big teethed men who say "Me sho shorry" after karate chopping someone. And the way they made all Africans look like savages....lol..."Ooga booga! Eat fat white baby up, me will!"

You can't look back at that stuff and NOT recognize how awesome it was. And the 'tunes were most definitely geared towards adults.

King Nothing
Originally posted by Fishy
There shouldn't be a warning and they shouldn't be taken away.

They are cartoons they are portraying a part of the culture in those days. Fact is that people believe different things now then they did back then, there is nothing wrong with that. That is just how the world works. Anybody that can't see that deserves to be offended by these cartoons. Don't you think that if children watch these toons in child hood, that they may begin to think that this is the way minorities are. Inferior to the majority race.

ADarksideJedi
I watch loonly Tunes as a kid.And no I did not become racist or anything else.So my answear to that would be no.I did not understand some stuff that was in the cartoon then but I do understand them alot now then when I was a kid.
So I argee with it being aim to adults even through it was supose to be a kid's show it was on Nick or cartoon Network those days anyway.jm

grey fox
Originally posted by long pig
Old Looney Tunes shows are whacked. They go from Bugs Bunny dressing up like Aunt Jemima with gigantic fat, red lips and doing laundry to Daffy Duck pulling a gun out on someone, shooting them in the face, killing them and then shooting himself in the head.

Hell, once Daffy dressed up as a Black Mammy, sang "Mammy's little baby loves shortening bread" and was deathly afraid of animals. They show Asians as quiet, big teethed men who say "Me sho shorry" after karate chopping someone. And the way they made all Africans look like savages....lol..."Ooga booga! Eat fat white baby up, me will!"

You can't look back at that stuff and NOT recognize how awesome it was. And the 'tunes were most definitely geared towards adults.

6YXZaJgiea8

Black Elmer Fudd pwns !

grey fox
Heres a better one

KvA1zphaeTQ&

botankus
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
On TCM (Basic Cable channel) saturdays they show Old Loonly Tunes from the thirtys to the fortys.I was watching it today and before a certain cartoon a guy said that be warn that this one could offend some people.
On most of the shows it does (inleast I see anyway)A black man or a Native American being stupid and looking like a fool infront of certain people.
Do you think that the guy should had warn everyone before the show?During that time they made fun of them and got away with it.In now adays you can't say anything at all.
My question is because it no longer airs on tv if they stop showing it because of this?Any sugguestions?jm

sick yucky puke

Fishy
Originally posted by King Nothing
Don't you think that if children watch these toons in child hood, that they may begin to think that this is the way minorities are. Inferior to the majority race.

No, most kids don't even see races. At least not in this country, I don't know how it is in the US but I would imagine it being largely the same. They aren't old enough to truly understand the concept of different races most of the times, unless of course their parents actively teach that races are different in which case the kids will turn out stupid anyway.

meep-meep
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi

I'm really not sure what you are asking here but I'll answer what I think you are asking.
Those old cartoons. I grew up on, and while at times they could be considered offensive by todays standards they were and still are far more entertaining created with much more creative thought than most of the cartoons today.
Sure they could put a disclaimer before some of those old cartoons that contain some offensive things but doesn't everyone already know that times were different then when they were made?

botankus
Let's not get started on the dynamite in Wile E. Coyote's mouth and how it can be attributed to school shootings across the country.

meep-meep
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
vZjC1vw2nSY

How many times did these guys get swirlied in school? I'd guess once for every blonde hair on He-Mans demonic head.
Well, I guess you would need to make a deal with the devil to have 40 inch biceps.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by inimalist
Loony toons is aimed at children though, whereas family guy is a "satire", so they get to do whatever they want and can turn around and go "ha, but we are just making fun".

There is the context too. Racist jokes on tv are normally funny because of the person telling them looking like an idiot, rather than the victim looking bad, whereas with loony toons it is a direct caricature of blacks.

I'm with you though. I think some toon networks still carry them at like 12 midnight for us older fans.

Looney tunes were a product of their times and they were NEVER meant for children. They were meant to amuse their animators and people loved them. They were made the same way as Ren and Stimpy, Beavis and Butt-Head and other real cartoons and wouldn't have made it past the first storyboard for sinkin' in the bathtub (the first loony tune) if they were made made today. Yeah some are racist and 11 of them are in public domain but they're also works of art and shouldn't be subject to changes, censorship, or colorization from assholes like ted turner. The only warning they should run before it is one saying "warning: if you don't find this cartoon funny, your head is way up your ass, you take yourself too seriously, you're an idiot, and you probably molest children."

ragesRemorse
What the hell is a loonly toon?

Anyone whom is ofended by Looney Tunes is apart of everything thats wrong wiht our society

WrathfulDwarf
One of my all time favorites episodes of Merrie Melodies.

hXV4UkGAQ-Q&mode=related&search=

ragesRemorse
This is by far the BEST bugs bunny cartoon ever. ITs a banned episode of bugs...watch for him refering to the japs as nips, slant eyes and monkey face.

Everytime he kills a jap he paints a jap flag on a tree, near the end he's surrounded by trees with nothing buy jap flags painted on them. Best quote from the entire cartoon..."heres some scrap iron for Japan MOtto"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zxqleaB2_a4

ADarksideJedi
You know what I meant because you respond right.So let it go.Thanks for the clips for the cartoons really funny!jm

Andrew McLeod
It's all to be taken in historical context. We can't be dismissive and censor everything that we're ashamed of in the past. In the end, that's what it comes down to is a nation trying to hide it's shame.

Schecter
Originally posted by Andrew McLeod
We can't be dismissive and censor everything that we're ashamed of in the past.

yes we can, we have, we do, we will. it represents a time of idiocy and widely encouraged racism. for historical archiving it should be preserved, but it is clearly insulting and racist and as such it is banned from children's programming. good riddance. erm

ADarksideJedi
We had aready showed our shame many times anyway.jm

grey fox
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
This is by far the BEST bugs bunny cartoon ever. ITs a banned episode of bugs...watch for him refering to the japs as nips, slant eyes and monkey face.

Everytime he kills a jap he paints a jap flag on a tree, near the end he's surrounded by trees with nothing buy jap flags painted on them. Best quote from the entire cartoon..."heres some scrap iron for Japan MOtto"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zxqleaB2_a4

Monkey face isn't realy that much of a racial insult is it ?

chithappens
Originally posted by grey fox
Monkey face isn't realy that much of a racial insult is it ?

chair

debbiejo
There are many ethnic groups in cartoons and older movies, mine included in those stereo types. I'm not offended.

So what if we're all making pizza and are organ grinders with monkeys....and say "Eh, whaz sa matta wit you? mamma mia. I slappa you face!"
And of course we all know cars with flat tires go wap wap wap wap.....and how many times can someone say "Dego here, dego there, dego everywhere".....LOL

RocasAtoll
Loonly Toons? Are you serious?

chithappens
Originally posted by debbiejo
There are many ethnic groups in cartoons and older movies, mine included in those stereo types. I'm not offended.

So what if we're all making pizza and are organ grinders with monkeys....and say "Eh, whaz sa matta wit you? mamma mia. I slappa you face!"
And of course we all know cars with flat tires go wap wap wap wap.....and how many times can someone say "Dego here, dego there, dego everywhere".....LOL

But how can you relate any person, regardless of who they are, to a monkey and then say, "All in fun!"

debbiejo
Originally posted by chithappens
But how can you relate any person, regardless of who they are, to a monkey and then say, "All in fun!" Well according to my stereo type we're all greasy, fat, scream, stupid and we love spaghetti and pizza and eat all the time, we are all in the mafioso (If only), We're all named Antonio and Maria, we talk with our hands and shake our fists.

The women are passionate. They are very charming. We kiss all the time. Well I guess some of it's true.

flower_girl

I don't know, I am just not offended because it's the way people used to think. Now I do have older relatives that get offended at some of it, but are very much proud of others aspects. And yeah, we do talk with our hands... laughing out loud

chithappens
Well according to my stereo type we're all greasy, fat, scream, stupid and we love spaghetti and pizza and eat all the time, we are all in the mafioso (If only), We're all named Antonio and Maria, we talk with our hands and shake our fists.

The women are passionate. They are very charming. We kiss all the time. Well I guess some of it's true.

flower_girl

I don't know, I am just not offended because it's the way people used to think. Now I do have older relatives that get offended at some of it, but are very much proud of others aspects. And yeah, we do talk with our hands... laughing out loud

I get all that but you did not even address the monkey thing

grey fox
chair

The insult was used against a Asian , I can understand a black guy being insulted. But an asian confused

GCG
Loony tunes ? what about South Park ? laughing out loud

ADarksideJedi
That too and family guy!jm

debbiejo
I get all that but you did not even address the monkey thing Well the point is that cartoons made fun of everybody. At that time there were also many first generation immigrants to make fun of. It's just part of our historical idiocy. It was a way to relieve stress during the Great Depression and WWII. It shouldn't be taken so seriously today.

ADarksideJedi
What monkey thing?jm

headrek1
You're wrong if you say that these cartoons are not offensive. The whole premise of Bugs Bunny is modeled after the "coon" characiture of blacks back in the 20's-40's (in fact Bugs was colored black in his younger days). All those black animals in the cartoons that you're never really sure whether they are supposed to be Rip-off Mickey Mice, or monkeys, are modeled after the "sambo" characiture. Not to mention the countless cartoons that have taken place in jungles where all you see is savages,who are all drawn as the "sambo" characiture, but who at the time could've represented "savages" of African or Phillipine descent (between 1899-1910 US had conflcit with the Phillipines),chasing the character around trying to eat them. What's worse is that all these cartoons are/were aimed at kids which starts to pave the way for racists thoughts down the road. Now, granetd when the cartoons came out, blatant racisim was very much a part of the social climate so it was appproriate for then, but I'm glad the newer toons have gotten away from that.

chithappens
Originally posted by grey fox
The insult was used against a Asian , I can understand a black guy being insulted. But an asian confused

Calling ANY person a monkey is offensive. What is so hard to get about that?

**** the historical context. That is disrespectful.

Well the point is that cartoons made fun of everybody. At that time there were also many first generation immigrants to make fun of. It's just part of our historical idiocy. It was a way to relieve stress during the Great Depression and WWII. It shouldn't be taken so seriously today.

"Relieve stress" by putting down people of other races and backgrounds? Surely people can be more creative than that. I doubt I would accept most answers anyway but the "relieve stress" excuse shows that you really don't get it.

debbiejo
I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying that is how people thought at that time period. Now we are in the year 2007, we need to get over the past and move on. Quit dwelling on old things.

JacopeX
Warner Bros. have been responsible for many stereotypes.

http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Speedy.gif

lord xyz
Originally posted by BackFire
Anyone offended by a cartoon is an idiot who deserves their discomfort.

JacopeX
Originally posted by lord xyz
Yet, people want Hentai banned. LOL idiots. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Robtard
Originally posted by JacopeX
Yet, people want Hentai banned. LOL idiots. roll eyes (sarcastic)

That would be horrible, you'd have nothing to masturbate over...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.