Tornado chaos?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

debbiejo
I've wondered the same thing. People that live in Tornado Alley, it's just crazy. Why live in Kansas? It's not even a very scenic area. Not like Florida with the hurricanes. At least living on the coast is pretty, but still.

Devil King
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Why do people live in these areas (tornado alley) and what gives them the inspiration to rebuild again and again after the mayhem.

If you listen to many of them, they'll say it's because of Jesus. Often times they mumble something about seeing Jesus or Mary, as they're being lifted into the ambulance, in the clouds after a tornado has destroyed everything in their town. They seem to take this as a sign to rebuild. I guess it's the same mentality that Noah had after the world was destroyed by the very same god that created it.

inimalist
sad thats really sad. I had hoped they were stuck there because of poverty or something...

damn jesus....

lord xyz
Originally posted by debbiejo
I've wondered the same thing. People that live in Tornado Alley, it's just crazy. Why live in Kansas? It's not even a very scenic area. Not like Florida with the hurricanes. At least living on the coast is pretty, but still. And why is the biggest city in the world on the San Andreas fault line?

Devil King
Originally posted by lord xyz
And why is the biggest city in the world on the San Andreas fault line?

Well, the reality of the situation is that there's nothing you can do about the planet. Everywhere has it's issues. Why would humanity drop tent and move away? Every place has to interact with it's natural surroundings. So one place is practically as good as another. But, I'm guessing that's your point.

Alliance

Morning_Glory

botankus
Originally posted by Alliance
There is no area of the US that is not subject to diesaster. Why do we live anywhere?

That is true. Tornados, Hurricanes, Snowstorms, Ice Storms, Heat Waves, Earthquakes, Floods, Wild Fires, you name it, there are very few places that are immune to all of these...if any.

However, I would consider where I live (Raleigh, North Carolina) to be one of the places that has low risk as far as bad weather. There are very, very few tornados, we only get about 1 snowfall a year, we are too far inland to get a MAJOR meltdown from a Hurricane (exception: Hurricane Fran, which knocked the power out for a week, so that wasn't too bad), we get enough rain to avoid sporatic fires, we are minimal risk of flooding, and the heat index is only near 100 for a few weeks out of the year (not bad considering that's probably normal for 50% of the country). And no earthquakes, either.

debbiejo
Same here in Michigan. We don't even have poisonous things. Still I cannot understand living in a high risk area.

botankus
You guys get a ton of snow. We shut the whole town down when we get snowflakes.

Lana
I live in Chicago; about the only thing we DON'T get in terms of insane weather here is hurricanes. Thunderstorms, floods, tornadoes, snow, very cold in the winter, very hot in the summer...hell, we had an earthquake a few years ago.

But if you live in an area that's prone to severe weather, you just simply get used to it.

agent 667

meep-meep
Originally posted by botankus
That is true. Tornados, Hurricanes, Snowstorms, Ice Storms, Heat Waves, Earthquakes, Floods, Wild Fires, you name it, there are very few places that are immune to all of these...if any.

However, I would consider where I live (Raleigh, North Carolina) to be one of the places that has low risk as far as bad weather. There are very, very few tornados, we only get about 1 snowfall a year, we are too far inland to get a MAJOR meltdown from a Hurricane (exception: Hurricane Fran, which knocked the power out for a week, so that wasn't too bad), we get enough rain to avoid sporatic fires, we are minimal risk of flooding, and the heat index is only near 100 for a few weeks out of the year (not bad considering that's probably normal for 50% of the country). And no earthquakes, either.

You really should be a travel agent at least for Raleigh. I have the strangest urge to check out the cost of living for that area right now...

RocasAtoll
Same here in Michigan. We don't even have poisonous things. Still I cannot understand living in a high risk area.

Michigan has the Black Widow. I kinda consider that poisonous.

And then there's the snow. And ice storms.

debbiejo
Michigan doesn't have Black Widows. That's a southern State spider.

meep-meep
Michigan doesn't have Black Widows. That's a southern State spider.

think again

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_12204-36489--,00.html

debbiejo
I have lived here almost all my life and I've never seen one nor anyone I know. I believe there are different varieties. If there were really piousness ones here, I'm sure I would of at least heard of it once....They must not be a hazard.Though some of the Brown Recluse spiders have hitched a ride up here and that is one scary spider. eek!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.