annoying exaggerated box office reports

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthmaul1
anyone else irritated with the exaggerated weekend box office reports?
Spiderman 3, everyone is say it blew away the previous records???
You can't compare apples and oranges. spider man 3 was in about 600 more theaters than the first spider man or revenge of the sith and that is why it appears to have made so much more. in reallity it only made about 3.5million more than
star wars.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/

SpaceMonkey
With the prices of movie tickets now-a-days leads to misleading all-time box office rankings. I don't really follow that anymore.

Cory Chaos
All ticket prices are adjusted, and there's no beefing up the numbers if that's how many tickets the movie sold.

forumcrew
Originally posted by darthmaul1
anyone else irritated with the exaggerated weekend box office reports?
Spiderman 3, everyone is say it blew away the previous records???
You can't compare apples and oranges. spider man 3 was in about 600 more theaters than the first spider man or revenge of the sith and that is why it appears to have made so much more. in reallity it only made about 3.5million more than
star wars.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/

First movies get on more screens because of demand. Second Spider Man 3 set a new record for highest per theater average taking that out of the equation.

botankus
I remember sneaking into the movies as a kid. In order to avoid having to take out a massive loan from the bank each time I go to the theater, I may have to resurrect that trend.

vintageSW77
i went to see Spiderman3 at the cinema on saturday and it was full of pricks
it was an eye opener
so thats the average first wknd cinema goer then
food munching,mobile phone texting arseholes who lose interest and start chatting until the action kicks in and SOMETHING VERY LOUD HAPPENS
ill stick to my mostly empty 3 weeks into the run visits

botankus
You're not kidding, Mr. Von Teese, Manchester is turning into a sh*thole!

darthmaul1
Originally posted by forumcrew
First movies get on more screens because of demand. Second Spider Man 3 set a new record for highest per theater average taking that out of the equation.

Yes it did have an average per theater more money, but if you take that difference and multiply it by the differance in theater numbers you get 3.5mil, not exactly alot. by no means did it blow it away.

forumcrew
see the problem is you assume if every other movie opened on as many screens as SM3 they all would have made as much money, and that just isnt true. They opened on less screens for a reason.

darthmaul1
see the problem is you assume if every other movie opened on as many screens as SM3 they all would have made as much money, and that just isnt true. They opened on less screens for a reason.

I am not assuming that at all, I am just saying if they were to open them on the same number theaters, then you could compare the gross of the films acuratley. that is why you have to take the difference between the average per theater and multiply it by the difference between the number of theaters and that gives you the accurate amount

forumcrew
actually all you have to look at is the average per theaters you dont need to adjust that number at all.

darthmaul1
actually all you have to look at is the average per theaters you dont need to adjust that number at all.

I am not adjusting the number at all, I aggree that you have to look at the average per theater. but to truely see how much more a movie made than another movie you have to take the averages of the 2 get the difference and multiply that by the difference in the theaters
so example, spiderman 3 only made 3.5mil more than star wars EPIII
cause it was showing in 600 more theaters

ADarksideJedi
I don't pay much attention to it either.I see it something on tv at work.But that is because the news are on.jm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.