Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Schecter
thats right. new splinter cell on the way.

http://achievementjunkie.com/2007/05/02/next-splinter-cell-title-information-and-scans-leaked/

scans (too big to post):

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3408/splintercell5qs6.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3696/splintercell4vu2.jpg
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/957/splintercell3pa8.jpg
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/98/splintercell2av6.jpg

WrathfulDwarf
Awesome!

I'm glad Ubisoft is keeping the current image of Sam. I'd hate to see them try something new to be different....like a version of a younger Sam or something out his present character.

AstroFan
Wow, those screens couldnt be anymore useless. lol

But WOOT for more Sam. stick out tongue

Schecter
yeah, i smell prerendering...but what if?

Burnt Pancakes
So, it's an exclusive, huh?

Microsoft 1 PS3 -3 no expression

AstroFan
Whats PS3's 3? lol

Burnt Pancakes
The dash is a negative sign. They've actually LOST exclusives, not gained.

Smasandian
I wouldnt be surpraised if Splinter Cell eventually ends up on the PS3.

Looks cool. Probalby an rental for me. I love the gameplay of Splinter Cell but Double Agent was getting kinda of boring...but I think that's just the lack of levels and heavy reliance on those ****ing base levels, which totally sucked.

jon84
Check out this screen i found on some other forum. Looks pretty cool.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2294/05kt1.th.jpg

Schecter
are you sure thats splinter cell? blink

Joe K
Originally posted by Burnt Pancakes
So, it's an exclusive, huh?

Microsoft 1 PS3 -3 no expression

HAHAHA

Zen2nd
I just hope they bring back the co-op mode they had in Chaos Theory as I felt that was the most fun part of the game.

jon84
Originally posted by Schecter
are you sure thats splinter cell? blink

Yes, it's Splinter Cell. Here's a quote from the article...

Source:

Schecter
"No more sneaking around in the shadows"

say it aint so cry

AstroFan
I just got the new GameInformer. Im too lazy to read the whole thing and make a huge post, so ill just recommend checking it out. wink

Its seems to have a Bourne Identity feel to it, with Sam against the group he worked for. Sam looks very different, bushy beard and longer hair. If my scanner was hooked up I would scan the pages. sad

Rewmac
Originally posted by Schecter
"No more sneaking around in the shadows"

say it aint so cry Maybe it'll work better for the current character of Sam. We'll see.

Schecter
Originally posted by AstroFan
I just got the new GameInformer. Im too lazy to read the whole thing and make a huge post, so ill just recommend checking it out. wink

Its seems to have a Bourne Identity feel to it, with Sam against the group he worked for. Sam looks very different, bushy beard and longer hair. If my scanner was hooked up I would scan the pages. sad

sam fisher....a damn hippie? this is sacreligious sad

SaTsuJiN
Those are some nice concept arts.. hope they can put them in motion for the final piece big grin

AstroFan
Instead of the link to the article itself(which is easy to find, BIG PIC), ill give you this one so you can see hippie Sam. stick out tongue

http://xbox360.ign.com/

WrathfulDwarf
Enjoy the Trailer!

lwZAwY4otTk&mode=related&search=

RedAlertv2
The combat looks cool

Spartan005
WTF IS THIS???? What happened to sneaking around in shadows and using stealth... they might as well just make this a new series

AstroFan
Its called innovation, but dont tell anyone, we dont want Sony to hear. wink

Dr. Strangelove
It looks pretty cool. I like the idea of using objects from chairs to humans as cover and the combat looks pretty sweet. As fun as Splinter Cell is for me, they did need to make some changes sooner or later as the hiding in darkness thing was getting to be pretty stale by the fourth time around.

Smasandian
Yeah, totally agree.

To me, its the Bourne Identity type of spying instead of Navy Seal type shit.

From EGM article, you can do some pretty sweet shit, and hopefully the AI is a good as they say they are.

Zen2nd
Theres a video out on the Live market place.

My first impression seems that the game doesn't require skill at all, its just Sam fighting a load of dudes, unless they decided to not include any interesting bits in the video.

Smasandian
When did the original Splinter Cell take skill?

It's one of the easiest games out there because they're visual clues to tell you if your silent or not.

From what I read in EGM, there's alot more than just fighting dudes. It's Sam Fisher like Assassins Creed type gameplay on where you blend into your environments and such.

Zen2nd
Well what I meant about skill is that in the original games you just couldn't run about, you had to be silent, stay in the shadows whereas now hes just running up to a guy and punching him, hardly what you'd call a "Splinter Cell"

Smasandian
But that's not the whole game, it isnt about just punching people.

The series had to reinvent itself. The last game wasnt great. It was alright. Same shit all over again.

This is breathing new life into the series.

Zen2nd
I didn't like the last game at all, why did they have to go and remove the co-op mode?

I'll see how this new one pans out anyway.

Smasandian
Meh, I have no idea why they removed it.

I liked a few levels in the game like the boat, and a couple more, but as an whole, that game wasnt great, just another Splinter Cell.

Those headquarter missions were seriously crappy.

AstroFan
Gay, Splinter Cell pushed to 2008...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/807/807620p1.html

Smasandian
Smart move. It will get lost in the shuffle and I'm happy that they're will be some games to play after Christmas.

Good move.

AstroFan
Probably be around march, which I think is what Chaos Theory did too.

Smasandian
Good.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Smasandian
I wouldnt be surpraised if Splinter Cell eventually ends up on the PS3.

yeah, double agent has transfered to ps3.

AstroFan
I dont know, Double Agent was never supposed to be exclusive, it came out on everything. They keep claiming this one is, and I can understand MS throwing out lots of money to keep it that way, hell they spent 50 mil. just for extra content on GTA. lol

Smasandian
Wasnt Ubisoft the ones who were against the PS3 and its enourmous cost of prodcuing titles for the PS3.

It also makes sense considering Splinter Cell was one of the prime franchises for XBOX.

Morridini
And at last we get some more news; http://www.gamespot.com/news/6208802.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

It will apparently be released this "holiday" season, and I must say I am really looking forward to it.

Smasandian
Yeah, I do like Splinter Cell games.

Hopefully, its a good one.

Morridini
New teaser site: http://www.manofconviction.com/uk/

Click the bullet hole not still restricted, the other two will open on the 20th and 28th.

Morridini
And then we suddenly get a lot of stuff.

E3 trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-splinter-cell/50012
Gameplay demo: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-splinter-cell/50194

EDIT: There's a more detailed demo of the exact same mission as the one posted above here:
Part I: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50114.html
Parti II: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50137.html

Smasandian
It looks awesome.

Much more fluid and different. Probably be instant purchase for me.

Spartan005
This game is going to be incredible. I remember watching the first trailer they had way back like two years ago... and it sucked. It was Sam walking through some crowded streets and the developers were like "now watch as sam pushes this lady to the side"

but now, just wow

by the way i never beat double agent but I do remember someone saying there were two endings, a good and bad one. So how does this game fit in?

Morridini
I would assume the one where Lambert was not killed and where Sam stopped all the terrorist attacks (the boat, nuke etc).

Smasandian
Well, it's been delayed till Q1 2010.

It's going to be a very busy 2010 spring for gamers. It's the new Christmas.

Ms.Marvel
demos come out.

anyone play it yet? its really good, but i feel like some of the gameplay isnt as fresh as it may have been two years ago or so. it shares a lot of resemblances to arkham asylum

Phanteros
Can't wait for this one.

Morridini
Tried the demo, much better then I expected. Thought it was too actiony when looking at the trailers, but it still got the SC feel to it.

Smasandian
I think it needed to be a bit more actiony.

If it was just like the first 4, I would still buy it but not as excited as I am now.

WickedDynamite
One more week!

§P0oONY
Always thought the Splinter Cell games were balls. (Never liked sneaking around.)

This looks better though. might give it a whirl.

Admiral Akbar

§P0oONY
I find it more fun having a straight gun fight. I find stealth games dull. The idea of breaking necks would be cool if you didn't have to do it. Uncharted is as stealthy as a game should get IMO.

Admiral Akbar

Zack Fair
Hopefully the story is less Tom Clancy and more...something else.

Been trying to become a fan of the franchise since the first game, and although I have enjoyed some elements it always manages to make me shrug and pass it. Only one I did finish was Double Agent and that was mostly because at the time I didn't have any good 360 games

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Hopefully the story is less Tom Clancy and more...something else.

Been trying to become a fan of the franchise since the first game, and although I have enjoyed some elements it always manages to make me shrug and pass it. Only one I did finish was Double Agent and that was mostly because at the time I didn't have any good 360 games

Multiplayer is where the game shines. At least where it shined for Chaos Theory.

Allankles
Originally posted by Morridini
Tried the demo, much better then I expected. Thought it was too actiony when looking at the trailers, but it still got the SC feel to it.

Yep. It's very much steeped in the classic SC vibe. Light and dark gameplay, sneaking past guards, distractions, that + the new take downs, new gadgets and a superior movement and cover mechanic.

I think the major difference so far is the NPC behaviour, guards seem more aware now overall and seem to guard entry and exit points now, as opposed to leaving those areas open for an easy sneak by. Also it helps that Sam always moves silently now, even while running.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Allankles
Yep. It's very much steeped in the classic SC vibe. Light and dark gameplay, sneaking past guards, distractions, that + the new take downs, new gadgets and a superior movement and cover mechanic.

I think the major difference so far is the NPC behaviour, guards seem more aware now overall and seem to guard entry and exit points now, as opposed to leaving those areas open for an easy sneak by. Also it helps that Sam always moves silently now, even while running.

Sounds promising, except for the silent movement by Sam Fisher. Before you had to slow down to avoid detection. It sounds like they are making the game easier to play which is disappointing.

Smasandian
It looks like they are trying to make it easier but I think they are trying to make him a total badass.

Admiral Akbar
It looks like they are trying to make it easier but I think they are trying to make him a total badass.

No need really. The first couple of Splinter Cell games did that perfectly. smile

Smasandian
I don't really think so.

The control scheme for the first 4 were a bit static. It didn't really flow well.

WickedDynamite
One more day...too bad there wasn't a midnight launch.

Morridini
GameTrailers review is up; http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-splinter-cell/64417

Sounds and looks really good actualy.

Admiral Akbar
Ugh...

If anyone has bought the game yet please let me know if it's possible to complete objectives without shooting anyone..

also share how many missions the co-op mode has.

Ms.Marvel
im pretty sure its not AK.

the games... pretty much been changed. its not a spy game anymore. sam's pretty much an assassin now...

Morridini
I'm pretty sure it won't be possible to sneak by like a pacifist, which is too bad as it was one of the funniest things in the older SC games.

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
Ugh...

If anyone has bought the game yet please let me know if it's possible to complete objectives without shooting anyone..

also share how many missions the co-op mode has.

Played for about 2 1/2 hours and this one is VERY HARD not kill the enemy.

You have to adapt to the controllers for this one. They're very challengin at first but you get over the learning curve quick.

Haven't gottent o co-op yet.

The only complain I have for the game is that I can't carry the fallen enemies and hide the bodies. I love to pile them up or just throw them over the ledge.

So far I have enjoy Conviction more than double agent. I love the interrogations scenes. If you're a hard core stealth fighter you're going to have challenge with this one.

Good game so far...

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Morridini
I'm pretty sure it won't be possible to sneak by like a pacifist, which is too bad as it was one of the funniest things in the older SC games.

I actually thought that it was one of the cooler aspects of SC gameplay. Represented "ultimate" stealth if you will. Nothing more satisfying to me than making it through an entire level without any contact with an enemy whatsoever, unless required by the mission objectives of course.

That said, I hated the Battery & Bath-house mission in Chaos Theory for this reason >__>. It was frustratingly hard to get past the missile launcher (Battery) and final shower room (Bath-House) areas in the PS2 versions.

Smasandian
Finish the single campaign.

Is a great game? Yes, it is. It's extremely polished, gameplay is fun as hell, graphics are great (not the best but extremely polished), sound is good and the story is actually not too bad.

But was I disappointed? A bit. I have a feeling though that was because it was my most anticipated game and I had extremely high hopes for it. It definitely delivered but not in the same way Half Life 2 did (an example of me being extremely anxious to play it). I had the same feeling while playing Mass Effect 2 but over time, I remember how good that game was.

If the game was released without that feeling, I would of loved the hell out of it but I couldn't stop feeling that it wasn't as good as I hope for.

It's a right direction for the franchise. The overhaul needed to be done. Fisher is a complete bad ass and its a joy controlling him. Near the end of the game, after getting used to the controls I was executing, melee killing, blowing people up everywhere. If I died, it was my fault and not the controls. It was just awesome.

One thing I do regret is playing the game on realistic. I heard that it was short and I wanted the game to last and while I usually play new games on the default setting, I decided to up to the hardest difficulty.

Bad move on my part. I got frustrated because I wanted to play the game a certain way (sneaking around and killing people without arousing suspicion) and in realistic, its hard to not get caught alot. I should of played on normal and be a complete bad ass and I would enjoyed the SP a lot more I figure.

In the end though, its a fantastic game.

Zack Fair
I don't really think so.

The control scheme for the first 4 were a bit static. It didn't really flow well.

QFT.

Also the trial-and-error gameplay annoyed me, though I knew why it was around.

Smasandian
The control scheme is pretty organic in this game. You need to jump into a door, just do it.

If you want to peek underneath the door, look down and hit A, then look up and hit A to open it.

I love how everything moves fast. Climb a pipe, and you can get anywhere you want to go pretty quickly unlike the first four.

Zack Fair
I'm going to have to check this out.

Smasandian
It's a lot of fun.

If renting, play on normal at least because the game's story makes it out like Fisher is a complete bad ass and on normal, you'll feel like a badass.

FistOfThe North
beat this yesterday.

loved the cover system, (best cover system since gears, imo) story was ok, game was a bit short, graphics were ps2.5 lookin' but tolerable. great score. fun extra side mission mini games if you want more Clancy action after beating the game.

never ever got into splinter cell till this one, conviction, but i did like it.

7/10

Smasandian
I wouldn't say graphics are Ps2.5, that's ridiculous.

FistOfThe North
enemies at a distance were crazy pixilated and structures with significant draw distances seemed not far. something that was miles away seemed feet away, there should've at least been some smog or light fog to emphasize distance. and sam didn't move with that much fluidity. he seemed more stiff. but like i said it was tolerable cause of how fun gameplay was. it made you forget about the clipping and low aliasing levels.

the graphics were in no way 2010 next gen. especially for a great game and series, from what i've heard, that's been out as long as it's been out. i've seen way better looking next gen console action games in '07.

just my opinion.

Smasandian
I totally disagree.

While the graphics are not as good as God of War 3, they're not 2.5 PS2. Your basically saying the game looked like a Wii game.

Morridini
Gotten the game, and just finished the Third Echelong HQ level. I really loved this mission, I very much think this is the best story-telling I've ever seen in a game, absolutely loved how they dealt with Fisher's emotions and state of mind at the very end, just great.

FistOfThe North
I totally disagree.

While the graphics are not as good as God of War 3, they're not 2.5 PS2. Your basically saying the game looked like a Wii game.

2004's half life 2 for xbox or even Resident Evil 4 for the Gamecube had better graphics that SC:C, lol wth are you talking about? the graphics were not what you'd expect from a 2010 high grade spy game for the next gen systems.

but it's ok since graphics aren't everything. the game was mad fun and because of this game, i will be playing splinter cell games now.

Smasandian
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
2004's half life 2 for xbox or even Resident Evil 4 for the Gamecube had better graphics that SC:C, lol wth are you talking about? the graphics were not what you'd expect from a 2010 high grade spy game for the next gen systems.

but it's ok since graphics aren't everything. the game was mad fun and because of this game, i will be playing splinter cell games now.

Yeah, it definitely looks like the same as RE4. Play RE4 on the Wii and let's see if its the same. This is crazy.

Spartan005
Originally posted by FistOfThe North

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt182/michellelv005/untitled1.jpg
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt182/michellelv005/untitled2.jpg

I completely agree.

-Pr-
been playing this for a few hours. i like everything bar the lack of a save feature. sad

Ultraviolence
The story mode was quite disappointing and short. I am, however, enjoying the "Deniable Ops" mode.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.