GL Announces 2 new Star Wars movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tattoo

Tattoo

no expression

sad Does he not know when to stop milking it?!

Alliance
? ???????

Devil King
I consider this to be a mistake. It's clear from the prequels that Star Wars is no longer safe in the hands of the very man that created it. People might argue that it's his "world" to do with as he pleases. This is often the excuse played out by fans who feel the need to be embarrassed by their approval of the new trilogy. There's no need to do so. Like them if you want, but don't even pretend they were written with the original trilogy in mind. They were written to sell action figures and show case modern special effects.

Alliance
Not true. The prequels have much more depth and interest in them than the OT did.

And the rest of your post is crap, considering that "Star Wars" invented movie mass marketing and major action figures were already in mass productions decades before the PT. Not to methion the OT is nothing but of overglorified scale models. (at that time, called cutting edge special effects).

All I can say is that its clear to me that Star Wars isn't safe in the hands of its fans whose dogmatic narrowmindedness acts as if they are the gods of the universe and actually understant what Star Wars should be.

Devil King
Originally posted by Alliance
Not true. The prequels have much more depth and interest in them than the OT did.

And the rest of your post is crap, considering that "Star Wars" invented movie mass marketing and major action figures were already in mass productions decades before the PT. Not to methion the OT is nothing but of overglorified scale models. (at that time, called cutting edge special effects).

All I can say is that its clear to me that Star Wars isn't safe in the hands of its fans whose dogmatic narrowmindedness acts as if they are the gods of the universe and actually understant what Star Wars should be.

No, they do not. They have more explained depth. There is no room for imagination with the prequels. For that matter, there's no room for the Ot in the prequels.

I understand that their existence is to explain what happens in the OT. But they fail to do so. All they do is contradict them.

Star Wars didn't "invent" mass marketing. Jaws, Gone with the Wind, etc all dipped their spoons in that soup.

I don't demand that I have say over what Star Wars should be, I argue that the two trilogies concur. But more importantly, I can find no descent reason for the two not to concur. There is no reason that they couldn't or shouldn't. It was lazy reasoning on GL's part. And don't put me in the category of fans who couldn't or wouldn't understand the reasoning behind many of the descisions GL made in regards to the prequels. I'm simply saying that somewhere along the way, he stopped doing so. And that made teh prequels suffer. No one was looking forward to the prequels more than me. No one had more faith in GL than I did. Look man, we are friends (as far as an internet forum can be considered in that respect) I'm not trying to bash you. I'm just saying that it could have been handled better. And even you have to admit that.

And trust me, I know Star Wars. I love Star Wars. I own thousands of the action figures. I make customs. I buy action figures of characters from the PT that I don't think need exist in the films. Try not to take my opinion personally. Nothing can be done about what is. The genie can't be put back in the bottle. But there is nothing about my intelligence that need be called into question because I consider the PT poorly concieved and executed.

(and by the way, if you want a custom Jabba the Hutt that looks more like the movie version than any released by Hasbro, there's one here with your name on it.)

queeq
Maybe they are the pilots to the tv series...

tlbauerle
Two 60 minute films. What's the point really? What kind of adventure is an hour long these days. I mean...even the Ewok films run longer than 60 minutes....even the holiday special aired for two hours.

....oh Hell. Could you imagine...

We might end up with some Ewok, Holiday Special, Clone Wars combination of garbage!

Just give us a good old, Knights of the Old Republic miniseries.

DeVi| D0do
Yo Todd! Long time no see!

I would take this to be no more than the reporter getting his facts wrong. He's talking about the two tv series. Unless Lucas has scrapped that idea and is making the movies in lieu of the series... But it doesn't make sense to make just two 60-minute movies. Seems like a waste.

A Knights of the Old Republic miniseries would be awesome.

Tattoo
Wow...Todd...(LanceWindu here)...long time, never see.

DeVi| D0do
Just found this: http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2460&Itemid=99

No more movies. Reporter is just a moron.

Tattoo
Thank goodness. smile

queeq
Another problem solved.

Hi Tattoo!!! Wazzup?

coolmovies
Even if he did make more the classics would be left in the middle

Tattoo
Originally posted by queeq
Another problem solved.

Hi Tattoo!!! Wazzup?

The roof over my head. smile wave

queeq
What's it like these days?

exanda kane
Thank god we won't have another Prequel Trilogy.

And yes, yes Alliance, the Prequels do try and portray more depth than the OT, but trying to place in dramatic events of mythic proportion onto B-movie material simply does not work, as the prequels have shown. If Lucas really wants to tell a story about the welfare of soldiers and the ethics of clones; he'll get off his arse and create something new for once.

Tattoo
What's it like these days?

Pretty patchy...I live in a shack.

tlbauerle
Devi|....Ken!

What's shakin' guys...

I've been around...but this board's been shit lately. Hopefully when things pick up for the TV series, there will be some more intelligent conversation to be had.

I've been hanging around The Digital Bits' forum lately, www.thedigitalforum.com

My wife and I moved to Utah to become foster parents for eight boys last year...remember? I haven't breathed since!

Tattoo
Originally posted by tlbauerle
Devi|....Ken!

What's shakin' guys...

I've been around...but this board's been shit lately. Hopefully when things pick up for the TV series, there will be some more intelligent conversation to be had.

I've been hanging around The Digital Bits' forum lately,

My wife and I moved to Utah to become foster parents for eight boys last year...remember? I haven't breathed since!

Might wanna edit the forum url out, that's kinda spam. ermm

You ever get on MSN anymore?

queeq
OMG!!! tlbauerle..!!!! That's been a long time. Hiya.

Alliance

Thats a big move messed

queeq
Quite. Impressive, most impressive.

tlbauerle
Yeah...tell me about it.

As for MSN...I rarely have a chance to check my email, let alone chat. Crazy how real life kicks you in the balls.

Darth Subjekt
Hey whats going on man, its been a minute. Eight kids huh? Damn, I have my hands full with 2, lol. But thats with work and school too. Glad you're back...

EPIIIBITES
Is it the thread title or did a bunch of old regulars just come out from hiding?

blink

Count Makashi
8 kids, this guy is not normal, he should get an award for the best dad in the world(translation- the guy, you would least like to be).

queeq
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
Is it the thread title or did a bunch of old regulars just come out from hiding?

blink

Yup, bow down deep for the old elite.

tlbauerle

Ha ha...we had some good times way back when...

Its just a thread like this brings out the true fans...because we're just not into shit like "OMG OB1 had sex with Padme!" or "Mace is the badddest Jed! in WORLD!!!!"

All that stupid shit is just lame and ended all serious, meaningful conversation.

exanda kane
Ha ha...we had some good times way back when...

Its just a thread like this brings out the true fans...because we're just not into shit like "OMG OB1 had sex with Padme!" or "Mace is the badddest Jed! in WORLD!!!!"

All that stupid shit is just lame and ended all serious, meaningful conversation.

Oh, the Versus forum is a cesspit for internet acronyms, indeed it is roll eyes (sarcastic)

Tattoo

w00t

I'd post in the Galactic Smugglers Grill...were it not closed. 131

smoker4
blasphemy http://images.killermovies.com/forums/customsmilies/131.gif

chewy16
Originally posted by exanda kane
Thank god we won't have another Prequel Trilogy.

And yes, yes Alliance, the Prequels do try and portray more depth than the OT, but trying to place in dramatic events of mythic proportion onto B-movie material simply does not work, as the prequels have shown. If Lucas really wants to tell a story about the welfare of soldiers and the ethics of clones; he'll get off his arse and create something new for once.

I agree with this, and one of the reasons why the PT comes off as cheesy yet it is trying to portray this tragic story about this one figure.

Say what you want about the OT movies, they are a basic good vs evil story, and for the type of movie George Lucas was making from 77-83, they succeed.

The PT had to have more drama because of the tragic tone, yet you can't make a fun yet tragic movie in the same vein cause it just doesn't work. You can't have Jar Jar Binks frollicking around in one movie, and Anakin/Padme spewing out awful lines in another movie, and then General Grevious cheesing up the last movie and then try to make this trilogy as something tragic like Schindlers List.

I can go through the list of great dramas in my movie collection, and SW movies are anything but that. Now I am not saying that the OT doesn't have its dramatic moments, cause it does, but when I think of drama I think Platoon not a SW movie.

Lucas forgot what made the OT great, they were fun movies yet they had a touch of a cool story, really great characters, a good mix of humor, and a touch of mythology, which all wrapped up in a trilogy of movies that appeal to kids, teenagers and adults.

tlbauerle
The reason the OT rules is the characters. Period. Same goes for the 'New Republic' era of the expanded universe. We love those characters and want to spend time with them.

In the PT, no one give a shit about the characters. Its all forced. Mostly...that comes from shitty casting and shitty directing. The acting was so forced...there is nothing to relate to.

Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher made Star Wars what it is today. There are great acting and character moments in the PT, but the OT marinades in character.

exanda kane
Originally posted by chewy16
I agree with this, and one of the reasons why the PT comes off as cheesy yet it is trying to portray this tragic story about this one figure.

Say what you want about the OT movies, they are a basic good vs evil story, and for the type of movie George Lucas was making from 77-83, they succeed.

The PT had to have more drama because of the tragic tone, yet you can't make a fun yet tragic movie in the same vein cause it just doesn't work. You can't have Jar Jar Binks frollicking around in one movie, and Anakin/Padme spewing out awful lines in another movie, and then General Grevious cheesing up the last movie and then try to make this trilogy as something tragic like Schindlers List.

I can go through the list of great dramas in my movie collection, and SW movies are anything but that. Now I am not saying that the OT doesn't have its dramatic moments, cause it does, but when I think of drama I think Platoon not a SW movie.

Lucas forgot what made the OT great, they were fun movies yet they had a touch of a cool story, really great characters, a good mix of humor, and a touch of mythology, which all wrapped up in a trilogy of movies that appeal to kids, teenagers and adults.

A very good point.

chinabing
The reason the OT rules is the characters. Period. Same goes for the 'New Republic' era of the expanded universe. We love those characters and want to spend time with them.

In the PT, no one give a shit about the characters. Its all forced. Mostly...that comes from shitty casting and shitty directing. The acting was so forced...there is nothing to relate to.

Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher made Star Wars what it is today. There are great acting and character moments in the PT, but the OT marinades in character.

BS. There's lousy acting in the PT too. Ford and Fisher stink in RotJ, they're awful. They don't even make an effort at good acting. They both rose above the dialogue in ANH and TESB, but they couldn't rise about their disdain for the Ewoks. I've always found their RotJ lack of effort contemptable. Sometimes even Guinness sounds bored.

I loved the characters in the PT. Qui-Gon's an awesome character. PT Obi-Wan has wonderful depth. Palpatine's amazing. I gave a **** about Anakin, the character is terribly troubled and torn in Aotc and RotS before he goes down the dark path. Padme's got spunk, and I don't hate spunk. Cheezy dialogue is in all 6 movies.

EPIIIBITES
YAAAAHOOOO!!!!

EPIIIBITES
Did you guys notice this news headline on this same site? (and no, it's not the same cluless reporter). Maybe I should keep it hush hush or it will start an uproar...

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/02/11/geroge-lucas-says-empire-strikes-back-was-the-worst-star-wars-movie/

...actually, I'll post it on a couple more threads.

EDIT: The "Lucas is an Idiot" and "ESB is the best SW movie, period" threads are closed..drats!

Count Makashi
I am tired of hearing the PT had bad characters, the OT talked about Han, Luke, Lea, young people with allot of passion, strong feelings, people say they wore disappointed about PT characters, because they wore boring, flat... but here is the catch, the PT talks about the Jedi, Jedi are very calm, centered, their feelings are in control, they are not like Han Solo, shooting things up and yelling Ehaaaaaaa, i can understand when people say they didn't have the energy of OT characters, but they ware never designed that way in the first place.

exanda kane
Becuase they are supposed to be calm and passive, does it make it ok that many of the Jedi were simply boring?

Because they are Jedi; and they must temper there emotions, be "mindful" of there feelings, so unbelieveable calm, they genuinely have no personality what so ever, no chance for character conflict (the driving factor of the OT). Old Ben was different because he was placed around others like Han who were different, but imagine a conversation between 5 Old Ben's? Jesus, that'd be dull.

queeq
Originally posted by Tattoo
w00t

I remember that. evil face

DeVi| D0do
Hamill, Fisher and Ford have the skill of being able to pull off Lucas's wooden dialogue... a gift none of the PT actors had, in my opinion. Except possibly Neeson. He is the only one in the PT who feels like he belongs...

Tattoo
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Hamill, Fisher and Ford have the skill of being able to pull off Lucas's wooden dialogue... a gift none of the PT actors had, in my opinion. Except possibly Neeson. He is the only one in the PT who feels like he belongs...

Maybe move the GSG to the OTF and reopen it. ninja

Alliance

Maybe you don't, but I assure you there are people who do.

And I don't give a shit about the New Republic. Its forced, meaningless and downright boring.

tlbauerle
Maybe you don't, but I assure you there are people who do.

And I don't give a shit about the New Republic. Its forced, meaningless and downright boring.

True...the New Republic era has its forced moments...but its not nearly as bad as all the PT garbage.

As for the GSG...let's f'ing party.

InfiniteDY
Originally posted by Tattoo
w00t

big grin

Long live the good ol' days!

Alliance
Nerf burgers on me.

Captain REX
Two 60 minute films. What's the point really? What kind of adventure is an hour long these days. I mean...even the Ewok films run longer than 60 minutes....even the holiday special aired for two hours.

....oh Hell. Could you imagine...

We might end up with some Ewok, Holiday Special, Clone Wars combination of garbage!

Just give us a good old, Knights of the Old Republic miniseries.

Holy hell, you're alive?!

Good to see you.

Meanwhile, it'll be interesting to see where this all goes, this little ride of one-hour movies and telly-box pictures.

tlbauerle
Livin' the dream, baby!

queeq
Even Rex is back!!! Oh happy day!

Tattoo
How about it queeqy? Unlock the GSG and move it to the OTF?

queeq
The OTF forum is a dump... who wants to go there?

Tattoo
The OTF forum is a dump... who wants to go there?

...me?

queeq
Fine... go. wink

chinabing
Fine.

Tattoo
Fine... go. wink

Put the thread there. wink

queeq
Nope.

Sith Master X
If Lucas wants to make these movies, by all means it is his right to do so. I'll be happy as a clam. These things are made to be entertainment, not for us to all sit back and gripe about it. It's television. Imagine what we'd be doing with our lives without it. wink

queeq
He is not going to make the movies, journalist Roger Friedman is a hack.

smoker4
Originally posted by Sith Master X
If Lucas wants to make these movies, by all means it is his right to do so. I'll be happy as a clam. These things are made to be entertainment, not for us to all sit back and gripe about it. It's television. Imagine what we'd be doing with our lives without it. wink

SMX rolling on floor laughing

queeq
??

Tattoo
Nope.

Or not. no expression

Sith Master X

Well said! I can't tell you how long I've waited to hear someone other than myself say this. thumb up thumb up

queeq
It's tha fans that keep it alive and cause SW to be made and exist at all beyond ANH.

Sith Master X
Of course, there's alot of truth to that. smile

But I don't think that gives the fans the right to think they know Star Wars better than the man who created it.

queeq
Well, anyone has the right to think whatever he wants. There's people with opinions about the Bible, I'm sure they think they know it better than the author(s). That's called freedom.

Sith Master X
Great then. I think the sky is red. I wasn't debating anyone's freedom of opinion.

Thinking something and knowing the facts are two seperate entities my friend. Yes, people can think as they please whatever the hell crosses their mind these days, but it annoys the crap out of me when people say "Lucas' vision was all wrong with the PT" It wasn't wrong if it was his vision, he's the guy who created it.

queeq
I think that is just a poor expression of thinking Lucas's vision of the PT didn't fit with the OT. It's not a factual debate. A factual debate would be about the nature of Lucas's vision for the PT. And we'd have interviews and commentaries to debate that (which would be the facts). This is about opinions on Lucas's vision and opinions are, as we all know, like a$$holes: everyone has one.

ADarksideJedi
I hope not.Just keep the star wars movies in six.Any more and it would ruin star wars all together!jm

queeq
It will always be six. Unless his son in 40 years time decides to make new ones. wink

Sith Master X
Well like I've said, I find it really hard to believe that another Star Wars movie will never be made again. 10-20 years from now, it wouldn't surprise me. Of course Lucas won't be behind it, but I'm willing to bet that he has secretly passed the torch onto somebody, and if he hasn't already, he will.

~JP~
SMX!???!!!??!! jawdrop

hug How the hell are ya buddy?

And where on earth have you been the last 6 months? huh

queeq
Wow... I wish she'd respond to me like that.... sad

tlbauerle
So I DVR'ed a SW episode of X-Play on G4 because I'm a big loser...

AND

They announced that Lucas has told Fox news that he is making two more hour-long Star Wars movies.

Dumb jack asses.

queeq
He is not... Read the thread, that story's been debunked ages ago.

tlbauerle
Hence calling Fox News dumb jack asses.

queeq
Yup.

General G
I wouldn't go that far...

Alliance
so...many...old...people...in...these...threads.

queeq
Old???

This thread is no longer valid. The topic's been debunked.

Alliance
That means its time to turn off the lights and let some noob make another one.

queeq
INdeed. CLOSING

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.