Superman with the Spear of Destiny vs. Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Endless Mike
How this goes?

Supreme being
Originally posted by Endless Mike
How this goes?

Is Thanos aware of what the spear is? If not Thanos dies.

Soljer
If this is forum bloodlust, meaning Thanos won't be toying with Superman, Thanos wins in a stomp.

Thanos_THOTU
Isnt SoD a anti-Spectre device?
It would have no affect on Thanos.

After all a snap* reaches futher than the leangh of the spear.

Galan007
IF Supes had the opportunity to use the Spear on Thanos, then of course he would win.

But the IG is definitely a more versatile artifact.

complexbrother
Thanos in seconds.

Juntai
Originally posted by Thanos_THOTU
Isnt SoD a anti-Spectre device?
It would have no affect on Thanos.

After all a snap* reaches futher than the leangh of the spear. The spear of destiny doesn't work against Spectre exclusively. It's that it works against Spectre as well.

Goddess Kali
What exactly does the Spear of Destiny enable you to do ?

Galan007
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
What exactly does the Spear of Destiny enable you to do ? Bring forth Ragnarok, kill the likes of even Spectre himself, etc...

But the Spear will possess/control it's user, over time.

Goddess Kali
1) Is the Spear of Destiny more powerful than the Ultamate Nullifer ?

2) And when you say kill Spectre, do you mean the Host or the actual Wrath of God ? I doubt the Wrath itself can be killed....

Galan007
1) Is the Spear of Destiny more powerful than the Ultamate Nullifer? In terms of versatility? no

In terms of raw power? yes

(I don't see the UN killing LT)...
2) And when you say kill Spectre, do you mean the Host or the actual Wrath of God ? I doubt the Wrath itself can be killed.... No, the Spear can kill the very concept of Spectre, (ie. the Wrath of God)..

It really is that powerful.

Mindship
The IG has no power in the DCU (so much for "infinity"wink. One could reasonably infer that it has power only in the MU.

Are there such limitations on the SoD? If not, this would seem to give Superman a definite advantage if they fought anywhere but in the MU.

Galan007
Originally posted by Mindship
The Infinity Gauntlet has no power in the DCU (so much for "infinity"wink. One could reasonably infer that it has power only in the MU.

Are there such limitations on the Spear of Destiny? If not, this would seem to give Superman a definite advantage if they fought anywhere but in the MU. There's no way of knowing, as the Spear has never crossed over into the MU.

Endless Mike
Wasn't it one of the artifacts Krona used in JLA/Avengers?

Galan007
Wasn't it one of the artifacts Krona used in JLA/Avengers? yes

It was one of the DCU's "Six Items of Power"...

Skeets
I.G wins.The Spear doesn't grant the user/wielder any added protection (that I know of).It can be taken away as if it were a regular spear.

Superman was gonna use it on Spectre,but Spectre just tapped into his mind and showed him the possible future that would follow.
Superman then gave it up and Spectre got rid of it..

Goddess Kali
Who created the Spear of Destiny ? and what for ?

Skeets
Who created the Spear of Destiny ? and what for ?
It was the spear that killed Jesus,it's tainted with his blood.
See the Movie Constantine for a quick reference.

Galan007
Originally posted by Skeets
It was the spear that killed Jesus,it's tainted with his blood. And Hitler's curse..

Endless Mike
It didn't kill Jesus, it was used by a Roman soldier to stab him on the cross to see if he was dead or not

Goddess Kali
In DC ?

Skeets
Originally posted by Galan007
And Hitler's curse..
Well that too,don't think it adds to it's power though.Originally posted by Endless Mike
It didn't kill Jesus, it was used by a Roman soldier to stab him on the cross to see if he was dead or not
In the comics I'm pretty sure it did.

Galan007
In DC ? Yes.

Galan007
It didn't kill Jesus, it was used by a Roman soldier to stab him on the cross to see if he was dead or not Jesus's blood is Jesus's blood. erm

Galan007
Well that too,don't think it adds to it's power though. I think Hitler's curse is what gives the Spear a certain degree of mind control abilities.

Skeets
I think Hitler's curse is what gives the Spear a certain degree of mind control abilities.
I have only seen it take over Superman.All the other times there were no mention of a curse.
Unless it appeared in a vertigo title...srug

Galan007
I have only seen it take over Superman.All the other times there were no mention of a curse.
Unless it appeared in a vertigo title...srug Sry..

I meant mind control as far as the Spear's wielder is concerned, (ie. the Spear possesses it's user). smile

Goddess Kali
Sounds interesting...do u guys thnk the IG can destroy the Spear of Destiny, or Vise Versa ?

Galan007
Sounds interesting...do u guys thnk the IG can destroy the Spear of Destiny, or Vise Versa ? The IG could not possibly destroy the Spear.

And if the Spear can destroy Spectre himself, I don't see why it couldn't destroy the Gems as well..

But, srug

Goddess Kali
The IG could not possibly destroy the Spear.

How do you know ?

And if the Spear can destroy Spectre himself, I don't see why it couldn't destroy the Gems as well..

How can the spear destroy something which is indestructable ? The Gems have never been destroyed. Simply over ruled by LT.

Mr Master
How can the spear destroy something which is indestructable ? The Gems have never been destroyed. Simply over ruled by LT.

This is why cross-company established facts don't mix well.

You're right,

the 616 Gems in Marvel are totality indestructible.

Supreme being
How do you know ?

I know your questions arnt directed at me but i think its irrelevant whether the spear can be destroyed or not in this case what we have to ask is that is Thanos arrogant enough to allow a flying man with a spear openly attack him and the answer is yes.

Endless Mike
But wouldn't the IG's cosmic awareness inform him of the threat it posed to him?

Skeets
But wouldn't the IG's cosmic awareness inform him of the threat it posed to him?
Didn't warn him when he lost it..haermm

Galan007
How do you know ? Because it's indestructible? confused

How can the spear destroy something which is indestructable ? The Gems have never been destroyed. Simply over ruled by LT. I didn't say the Spear could positively destroy the Gems...

My opinion on the matter was simply that I believe Spectre's durability to be > an Infinity Gem.

Hence I personally don't see why the Spear could not destroy a Gem, if it can destroy Spectre.

srug

guy222
How this goes?

Thanos w/IG

Power Cosmic
Originally posted by Mindship
The IG has no power in the DCU (so much for "infinity"wink. One could reasonably infer that it has power only in the MU.

Are there such limitations on the SoD? If not, this would seem to give Superman a definite advantage if they fought anywhere but in the MU.

The infinity gauntlet controls every aspect of time, space, reality, power, energy, and soul.......i believe it would have power in any reality or universe......it would own a spear. Even the living tribunal didnt want to fight it when adam warlock had it (warlock and the infinity watch #1)

Juntai
Originally posted by Power Cosmic
The infinity gauntlet controls every aspect of time, space, reality, power, energy, and soul.......i believe it would have power in any reality or universe......it would own a spear. Even the living tribunal didnt want to fight it when adam warlock had it (warlock and the infinity watch #1) JLA/Avengers clarified it has no power in the DCU.

Galan007
Originally posted by Juntai
JLA/Avengers clarified it has no power in the DCU. thumb up

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7829/aj0232ti9.th.jpg http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7751/aj0233nr2.th.jpg

Power Cosmic
Well i guess i stand corrected

Juntai
I agree with both Galan and Mr Master.
The cross company politics is kind of what kills this, and the gems do seem to be indestructible..

However the very idea that the spear can even destroy a piece of god, leads me personally to believe it should be able to destroy one of the infinity gems or a wielder of them, provided it gets that chance. As I don't see them being higher on the chain than that.

However Thanos wielding the IG I beleive would win, as he could still destroy Superman.

Goddess Kali
Spear of Destiny would have no power in the MU either

Galan007
Spear of Destiny would have no power in the MU either We don't know that for sure. erm

It's speculation to say the Spear would have power in the MU, and it's speculation to say it would not have power in the MU.

Mr Master
We don't know that for sure. erm

It's speculation to say the Spear would have power in the MU, and it's speculation to say it would not have power in the MU.

But it's reasonable to say,

it shouldn't. stick out tongue

Mr Master
Didn't warn him when he lost it..

Thanos lost the IG cause he wanted to.

Thanos was never defeated.

Galan007
Originally posted by Mr Master
But it's reasonable to say,

it shouldn't. stick out tongue No one knows that for sure.

This is all I'm saying. smile

Goddess Kali
We don't know that for sure. erm

Umm...yes we do. One power cannot work in another existance.

If a Marvel character/item has no authority in DC, then the same is true vise versa.

Soljer
Assuming Superman got the CHANCE to stab Thanos, it'd kill him.

The thing is, though, with the infinity gauntlet, Superman'll never get the chance. That's why Thanos'd win this in a stomp.

Soljer

If a Marvel character/item has no authority in DC, then the same is true vise versa.

Not true. The flash couldn't tap the Speedforce, but the Silver Surfer could still use the power cosmic.

It isn't necessarily true. no expression.

Hyperion Prime
Originally posted by Soljer
Not true. The flash couldn't tap the Speedforce, but the Silver Surfer could still use the power cosmic.

Those were two different crossovers though and only JLA/Avengers is cannon, but other than that you are 100% correct.

Galan007

If a Marvel character/item has no authority in DC, then the same is true vise versa. Soljer pretty much answered this. smile

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by Soljer

Silver Surfer has the power cosmic within himself.

Secondly, it is total BS to claim that the IG, HOTU, Ultamate Nullifier, LT, etc. have no power in DC, but the Spectre and Spear of Destiny have power in MU

Alfheim
Silver Surfer has the power cosmic within himself.

Secondly, it is total BS to claim that the IG, HOTU, Ultamate Nullifier, LT, etc. have no power in DC, but the Spectre and Spear of Destiny have power in MU

Hey you get back up to the GDF. You dont belong down here! j/K stick out tongue

Galan007
Secondly, it is total BS to claim that the IG, HOTU, Ultamate Nullifier, LT, etc. have no power in DC, but the Spectre and Spear of Destiny have power in MU No one ever claimed that.

All that was said is it's speculation to assume the Spear is powerless in the MU, (as the Spear has never crossed over like the IG has). erm

Goddess Kali
No one ever claimed that.

All that was said is it's speculation to assume the Spear is powerless in the MU, (as the Spear has never crossed over like the IG has). erm

A lot of debators claim that. Someone even went as far in another thread to claim that if LT tried to uncover the Source, he would be stuck on the Promethian Wall

Galan007
A lot of debators claim that. Someone even went as far in another thread to claim that if LT tried to uncover the Source, he would be stuck on the Promethian Wall Meh,

Even if LT DID stick on the Source Wall, Superman could just remove him like he did with Darkseid. stick out tongue

Thanos_THOTU
The Spear of Destiny killed pre-crisis Spectre, post-crisis is far more powerful when tapped into the Logoz.
The Logoz is up there with the Source and Voice.

Mider999
why you people always bring up the diffrent universes junk...........half the characters in here arent from the same universe. Anyway the spear messes up the spectre it should mess up the gems

Galan007
The Spear of Destiny killed pre-crisis Spectre, post-crisis is far more powerful when tapped into the Logoz.
The Logoz is up there with the Source and Voice. This isn't really a question directed at you, but just a general question for anyone...

Are the Logoz (the power Spectre taps/is a part of), and the Logos, (the room where God's voice can be heard by the likes of Michael), the same thing with a variation in spelling? confused

Endless Mike
I was wondering that too

illadelph12
Um, not to be a dick, but couldn't it just be that since the Spear of Destiny has divine blood on it that it can pierce the Spectre as well being as how Jesus=God=Spectre. It doesn't have to be especially powerful if it's purpose is to simply slay/injure deities.

Example of my point being that Holy Water will destroy Demons but if you threw it on Luke Cage he'll just slap you silly with no effect.

I'm just saying...

It is a Spear so getting stabbed would likely hurt, but it's supernatural abilities might not be exactly universal in application. You might not be able to stab just anything with it with the same effects.

Mr Master
Originally posted by illadelph12
Um, not to be a dick, but couldn't it just be that since the Spear of Destiny has divine blood on it that it can pierce the Spectre as well being as how Jesus=God=Spectre. It doesn't have to be especially powerful if it's purpose is to simply slay/injure deities.

Example of my point being that Holy Water will destroy Demons but if you threw it on Luke Cage he'll just slap you silly with no effect.

I'm just saying...

It is a Spear so getting stabbed would likely hurt, but it's supernatural abilities might not be exactly universal in application. You might not be able to stab just anything with it with the same effects.

Good point.

Galan007

I'm just saying...

It is a Spear so getting stabbed would likely hurt, but it's supernatural abilities might not be exactly universal in application. You might not be able to stab just anything with it with the same effects. Is that why the user of the Spear can bring forth Ragnarok, ending all life? confused

Mr Master
Is that why the user of the Spear can bring forth Ragnarok, ending all life? confused

What does that mean, and how does that work?

Galan007
What does that mean, and how does that work? Ragnarok = Armageddon.... You know, the end of life as we know it.

However, the Spear has never been applied in a Universal scale, but this doesn't mean that if it pierced through Thanos, it would not kill him... Because it would, IG or not..

But I do think the IG takes this simply because it is a much more versatile weapon.

illadelph12
How does a Judeo-Christian aritfact bring forth a Norse Apocalypse? That's the real question.

Jebus reborn
Just a little observation... but it didn't kill him here:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2206/dayofjudgement418hr6st4.th.jpg http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1600/dayofjudgement419fo6ph6.th.jpg

Endless Mike
How does a Judeo-Christian aritfact bring forth a Norse Apocalypse? That's the real question.

Just Christian, since it involves Jesus.

Supreme being
The Logoz is up there with the Source and Voice.

confused Come on dude Pre-crisis spectre post crisis?

Galan007
How does a Judeo-Christian aritfact bring forth a Norse Apocalypse? That's the real question. laughing out loud

I wondered the same thing.

But the Spear is specifically referred to as having the ability to bring forth Ragnarok, in the old ass comics it first debuted in.

Supreme being

Comics you gotta love them. Happy Dance

Mr Master
Ragnarok = Armageddon.... You know, the end of life as we know it.

How?

Reality explosion, Reality collapse, Reality alteration, opens the gates of hell?

Other?

However, the Spear has never been applied in a Universal scale, but this doesn't mean that if it pierced through Thanos, it would not kill him... Because it would, IG or not..

Cool,

I can agree.

I do think the IG takes this simply because it is a much more versatile weapon.

True,

I also heard the Spear has only been used against Spectre as a melee weapon,

if it's limited to that distance of attack, that's a weakness that can be exploited.

Galan007
Originally posted by Jebus reborn
Just a little observation... but it didn't kill him here:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6464/dayofjudgement418hr6ku3.th.jpg
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3918/dayofjudgement419fo6on0.th.jpg And these.....

Superman with the Spear of Destiny, kills Spectre!? eek!:

http://i84.imagethrust.com/t/1007014/s1.jpg http://i84.imagethrust.com/t/1007015/s2.jpg http://i83.imagethrust.com/t/1007016/s3.jpg http://i84.imagethrust.com/t/1007017/s4.jpg

Actually,

It turns out that Superman killing Spectre with the Spear,
was only a vision of what would have happened if Superman had chosen the route of temptation:

http://i83.imagethrust.com/t/1007018/s5.jpg

Jebus reborn
And these.....

Superman with the Spear of Destiny, kills Spectre!? eek!:

http://i84.imagethrust.com/t/1007014/s1.jpg http://i84.imagethrust.com/t/1007015/s2.jpg http://i83.imagethrust.com/t/1007016/s3.jpg http://i84.imagethrust.com/t/1007017/s4.jpg

Actually,

It turns out that Superman killing Spectre with the Spear,
was only a vision of what would have happened if Superman had chosen the route of temptation:

http://i83.imagethrust.com/t/1007018/s5.jpg A vision vs what actually happened...

I really don't care, but really?

illadelph12
laughing out loud

I wondered the same thing.

But the Spear is specifically referred to as having the ability to bring forth Ragnarok, in the old ass comics it first debuted in.

Hmm...

Was it ever specified how the spear did this? It could just be that a spear bearer is destined to kill someone who brings about armageddon (by setting off a chain of events by, say, killing the Spectre and allowing evil to run rampant in the DCU). It could be the key but not the means, feel me. Particularly if you take into consideration the Spectre/Supes encounter involving the spear.

Just speculation, of course, but within reason.

Galan007
How?

Reality explosion, Reality collapse, Reality alteration, opens the gates of hell?

Other?
It's never been given the opportunity to allow Ragnarok to pass, so I don't know exactly how it would happen.
Cool,

I can agree.smile
True,

I also heard the Spear has only been used against Spectre as a melee weapon,

if it's limited to that distance of attack, that's a weakness that can be exploited. Yeah, it has been used to summon things like Norse Valkyries to do battle with the Spear-holder's enemies, but it's mainly been used as.... well........ a Spear.

Not a versatile weapon at all.

Unless Superman manually thrusted it through Thanos before T snapped his fingers, there is NO way Supes could take this. erm

Galan007
Originally posted by Jebus reborn
A vision vs what actually happened...

I really don't care, but really? Yeah, that's what would have happened, but Supes' boy scout ass gave it up.. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mr Master
It's never been given the opportunity to allow Ragnarok to pass, so I don't know exactly how it would happen.

I see.

Not a versatile weapon at all.

Unless Superman manually thrusted it through Thanos before T snapped his fingers, there is NO way Supes could take this.

I see.

Thanos ftw then.

Even pre-crisis Superman can't move faster than an IG wielder. (Space gem)

Galan007
Even pre-crisis Superman can't move faster than an IG wielder. (Space gem) There are very few who possess that kind of speed, and Supers is not one of them. smile

Space M ummy
There are very few who possess that kind of speed, and Supers is not one of them. smile

Infinity gauntlet is far, far more versatile than the spear. no contest. Space gem guarantees that thanos would be too fast to hit, Time gem could age supes a million years in a nanosecond, killing him instantly, mind gem turns supes into a vegetable, power gem can generate universe destroying blasts....there really isn't much you CANT do with it.
and range isn't an issue. thanos could be 1000 light years away and still use it.

in contrast, the spear...uh..could stab you.

the gauntlet also isn't limited to 616...it doesn't work in DC, but DOES work in the ultraverse, which was a totally different continuity IIRC. So using that as a gauge of which is more powerful isn't totally accurate.

Galan007
Originally posted by Space M ummy
Infinity gauntlet is far, far more versatile than the spear. no contest. Space gem guarantees that thanos would be too fast to hit, Time gem could age supes a million years in a nanosecond, killing him instantly, mind gem turns supes into a vegetable, power gem can generate universe destroying blasts....there really isn't much you CANT do with it.
and range isn't an issue. thanos could be 1000 light years away and still use it.

in contrast, the spear...uh..could stab you.

the gauntlet also isn't limited to 616...it doesn't work in DC, but DOES work in the ultraverse, which was a totally different continuity IIRC. So using that as a gauge of which is more powerful isn't totally accurate. What the f**k?

Why did you quote my post just to say the IG takes this?

I've already said that a few times now. erm

illadelph12
A Roman spear that killed Jesus yet can summon Valkyries and bring about Ragnarok?

Is there a connection here I'm not aware of? Why does a Christian artifact seem to have overly Norse abilities?

Galan007
A Roman spear that killed Jesus yet can summon Valkyries and bring about Ragnarok?

Is there a connection here I'm not aware of? Why does a Christian artifact seem to have overly Norse abilities? I don't know... srug

I've found that odd as well, but I speak the tooth. smile

Space M ummy
What the f**k?

Why did you quote my post just to say the IG takes this?

I've already said that a few times now. erm

laziness. I meant to hit reply to thread but quoted, instead. my bad

Martian_mind
Superman would win this without the spear shifty

Galan007
Originally posted by Space M ummy
laziness. I meant to hit reply to thread but quoted, instead. my bad Cool. smile

Juntai

I'm just saying...

It is a Spear so getting stabbed would likely hurt, but it's supernatural abilities might not be exactly universal in application. You might not be able to stab just anything with it with the same effects. Originally posted by Juntai
The spear of destiny doesn't work against Spectre exclusively. It's that it works against Spectre as well.

Juntai
Also, not sure if it has been mentioned here, but the Spear can also control anyone who is not a normal human. Any meta or superpowered character will immediately fall under the power of the wielder of the spear.

Last time someone got the spear, Wildcat has Jay Garrick/Flash kill him several times, as his only Superpower was having nine lives. Thus could no longer be controlled by the spear.

Symmetric Chaos
This isn't really a question directed at you, but just a general question for anyone...

Are the Logoz (the power Spectre taps/is a part of), and the Logos, (the room where God's voice can be heard by the likes of Michael), the same thing with a variation in spelling? confused

I would assume so.

Based on Christian mythos the word if God is roughly God's power and in fact logos can be associated with God's creation itself. Logos means "the word".

The room where one can hear god's words could resonably be called the Logos. And if one were to tap into God's power it could be said that one can control the word of god.

For example in the Preacher's universe the Preacher has so much power due to his voice. He would seem to command the word or logos.

don't shiv
Thanos IQ and speed of thought humbles Supes,
Spear of Destiny Thrust at Lightspeed would proly be assimilated by Thanos. like when Crawler bonded with the soul sword

Galan007
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I would assume so.

Based on Christian mythos the word if God is roughly God's power and in fact logos can be associated with God's creation itself. Logos means "the word".

The room where one can hear god's words could resonably be called the Logos. And if one were to tap into God's power it could be said that one can control the word of god.

Even in the world of comics, that's exactly what the Logos is as well:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/Galan007/th_logos.jpg

I was just more curious about the variation in spelling...

Why does one version end with a "z" and the other end with an "s"? confused

For example in the Preacher's universe the Preacher has so much power due to his voice. He would seem to command the word or logos. I see what you're saying.

Thanos_THOTU
Well they wanted to seem original so they replaced the s with an z

Or writers have no idea how it's spelled.

Symmetric Chaos

I was just more curious about the variation in spelling...

Why does one version end with a "z" and the other end with an "s"? confused

Typo? Or maybe someone misread Logos because of the font used and thought the S was a Z.

Galan007
Typo? Or maybe someone misread Logos because of the font used and thought the S was a Z. Well that could have been what originally happened, but in the Spectre comics it consistently ends with a Z.

Any other time I've seen that word (even in actual texts), it ends with an S...

So it got me wondering if they were the exact same thing?

I assume they are, but I'm not 100% sure... confused

Symmetric Chaos
srug Probably artistic/poetic license

Juntai
It was also by decree of The Word that Micheal bonded the Logoz to the fallen angel's form to make The Spectre.

Galan007
It was also by decree of The Word that Micheal bonded the Logoz to the fallen angel's form to make The Spectre. Yo Jun...

Do you think the LogoS, and the LogoZ are the exact same thing.... With a variation in spelling?

Juntai
Yo Jun...

Do you think the LogoS, and the LogoZ are the exact same thing.... With a variation in spelling? Seems logical as both are pieces of God, however I don't agree with comparing it to anything in the Lucifer series, as DC doesn't acknowledge Vertigo work, and doesn't seem to be in continuity.

Galan007
Seems logical as both are pieces of God, however I don't agree with comparing it to anything in the Lucifer series, as DC doesn't acknowledge Vertigo work, and doesn't seem to be in continuity. The Lucifer scan was just an example of how I personally have always heard/seen the Logos in other comics or texts.

The Logoz and Logos seems to be the same, but I'm not sure. srug

kevdude
I'd say they are the same just some writers use Z and some use S. And the Spear never killed Jesus, he was already dead, the soldiers just wanted to make sure he was dead. The Spears power comes from Christs blood, someday Hitlers evil will lift and will return to how it was before. Hard to say who wins

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.