George Lucas says: "Spider-Man 3 is plain silly"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,10221,21711078-10388,00.html?from=public_rss

omg

steverules
laughing out loud this coming from a guy who created Jar Jar Binks

Micheal_Myers
Lucas is just feeling sour because Spiderman 3 beat his little record.Now he's gonna powt about it.Little does he know, nobody really cares about his new Indiana Jones movie, I think reviving an old franchise with the same OLD actors is "silly".Lucas needs to do something about his jealousy.

LORDSIDIOUS01
GL also said that Star Wars was "silly". Just take what Lucas said with a grain of salt since we all know what the Star Wars movies did and we all know what Spderman 3 is gonna do.

H. S. 6
It's funny when grown men pout.

Poor Lucas. Star Wars popularity is fading away and being replaced by better things. Guess he'll just have to go cry himself to sleep in his bed of money.

Originally posted by steverules

Pwnt. laughing out loud

Mr Parker

AND that lame looking Darth Maul.while he's crapping on that,he should also be talking about how crappy his star wars movies have been since Return Of the Jedi.

Galan007
laughing out loud this coming from a guy who created Jar Jar Binks Now that's funny... haermm

Jimmy Buggs
I think George lucas should work on a green lantern movie.

Darth Macabre
Most of what he said was true, actually. Did any of you read the article, or just blindly reply to the thread? The movie is silly, with no real purpose or storyline. Revenge? Please, the only one who was out for revenge didn't drop it until he got his ass beat. But I agree that Lucas is only saying it out of spite and sour grapes, rather than a true critique of it.

((The_Anomaly))
I pretty much agree with GL, Spidey 3 was lacking hugely on plot and character development. Episode 1 TPM was much better then Spidey 3 IMO, as was ATOC and especially ROTS.

sithsaber408
At least the prequels got better as they went on!

And at least you felt that lucas had SOME kind of a grand scheme; at least he attempted to make three films that had a point. At least the films had different kinds of action sequences (from duels and gladiatorial battles to chases and full-on war) - rather than endless different variations of the same thing: people fighting in mid-air - plus a damsel/aunt in distress. At least Lucas tried to get viewers to think about why governments do things, rather than being embarrasingly flag-waving.

The scene in Episode II with Anakin and Dooku battling with lightsabers in the dark as their faces are illuminated by the blades is better than Spiderman 1, 2 and 3 put together. So eat it.

Or the whole Clone War sequence in II with the camera zoom-ins on the clone gunships and troops in the command post. Brilliant. ILM or Sony Imageworks? ILM any day of the week. The FX in Spiderman 3 look DREADFUL.

Now I loved Spiderman 3 really, I think it's the best as far as action and I liked the conclusion of the Peter/Harry arc.

It's a good movie for popcorn fun.

But it IS silly.

It's not deep and complex as some would say.

It's "complex" that a meteor with a symbiote just happens to fall next to Peter Parker? It's "complex" that somehow Venom knows all about Sandman and his daughter and after a two second lame conversation they decide to fight Spiderman together (for no reason, there's no reward or anything)? "Complex" that a woman is hanging from a 40 story building and about to die, yet her father and boyfriend can stand idly by as peaceful as hindu cows making jokes? "Complex" that Bad Peter Parker manifests itself by a Petrelli haircut and jazz club dancing? Is that "complex" enough for you Rindain? What about the shameless pandering by having spiderman swing by a giant american flag? Is that complex? Or about the fifty or so little kids standing at the base of a construction site in the middle of the night while a huge superpowered battle is going on right above their heads? I guess it's a deep complexity as to why any parent would allow their kids to be standing there gawking upwards within a fifty feet of unbelievably mortal danger?

No, GL is right... it's silly.
Originally posted by H. S. 6
It's funny when grown men pout.

Poor Lucas. Star Wars popularity is fading away and being replaced by better things. Guess he'll just have to go cry himself to sleep in his bed of money.

Pwnt. laughing out loud Regardless of wether or not you liked the prequels they had a pretty rock-solid story, whether or not you thought parts of it were silly. I personally think in retrospect that TPM did a pretty brilliant job of setting a series of events in motion that the other two prequels tied up.

Lucas is 100% right about Spider-Man 3. It was built up by the previous two to be a natural continuation of that same 'feel', only to let down the core audience by dropping the feel of previous movies for an almost slapstick tone.

Lucas used the SAME humor, the SAME style of storytelling, and the SAME character archetypes in the prequels as he did in A New Hope. If you were expecting some dark, bloody, stylistic movie full of Jedi fighting Sith, and not much more, then you were clinging to the wrong franchise. Go watch Highlander or something.

laughing out loud this coming from a guy who created Jar Jar Binks Jar Jar was ment to silly.

Whereas spidey, not so much. stick out tongue

Originally posted by Micheal_Myers
Lucas is just feeling sour because Spiderman 3 beat his little record.Now he's gonna powt about it.Little does he know, nobody really cares about his new Indiana Jones movie, I think reviving an old franchise with the same OLD actors is "silly".Lucas needs to do something about his jealousy. I like his Spider-Man comment.

He doesn't have to kiss ass like most people in Hollywood...it was kind of a dumb movie, and at least someone in the business has the balls to say so.
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
I pretty much agree with GL, Spidey 3 was lacking hugely on plot and character development. Episode 1 TPM was much better then Spidey 3 IMO, as was ATOC and especially ROTS. Of course they were.

The prequels are set up like a mystery novel. Who knew that a trade dispute would set off a chain of events that lead to Galactic Civil War, the downfall of the Jedi, and the revenge of the Sith?

Awesome. cool

Let 'em have it GL.

steverules
If Jar Jar is silly why did he take Padme's place as a senator...yes I watched the movies Mister

Micheal_Myers
I watched the movies as well.You're right, the Star Wars prequels were amazing.Revenge of The Sith is my favorite.But that doesnt change the fact that Lucas is powting right here.He is saying what he said in spite, because Spiderman 3 took down his record.

chillmeistergen
I hated Star Wars and I hate Spiderman, they're both 'silly'.

steverules
Both may have been silly...but spider-man 3 was at least better than ROTS

mr.smiley
I thought the Star Wars prequels sucked.The guy the got to play Anakin was horrible.As a stage actor he would probably be okay,but on screen it was just terrible.I think GL did something amazing with the original Star Wars trilogy.He then did the prequels, which had very little life in them.So good action scenes but IMO nothing else.Spiderman did make some good plot lines that Lucas new trilogy were completly lacking in.Now i'm not saying spider man 3 was on par with something like the Usual Suspects or anything,but they managed to do a very good job.

I guess arguing this is pointless though.If your a star wars dork your gonna stick by GL.Their's nothing wrong with that though.He has the right to say what he feels. However,I belive Sam Rami could definently through George Lucas' comments back in his face and give some critical criticizm to Lucas' prequels.

steverules
Look at me everybody, I'm Anakin Skywalker...I kill little children who are 4 years old, bow down to my almighty power!

the_satan32
Originally posted by mr.smiley
I think GL did something amazing with the original Star Wars trilogy.He then did the prequels, which had very little life in them.So good action scenes but IMO nothing else.

I agree with this, the OT was amazing while the PT was boring with the exception of ROTS (and only because I got to see Anakin getting schooled by his master). The PT lacked the most important thing, the Star Wars spirit, it was filled with action and CG, but stuff like a 10 year old Anakin starting to fall in love with a 14 year old Padme is ridiculous. I dare say that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and it's sequel are "stronger in the Force" than anything GL has done in the last years.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by the_satan32
I agree with this, the OT was amazing while the PT was boring with the exception of ROTS (and only because I got to see Anakin getting schooled by his master). The PT lacked the most important thing, the Star Wars spirit, it was filled with action and CG, but stuff like a 10 year old Anakin starting to fall in love with a 14 year old Padme is ridiculous. I dare say that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and it's sequel are "stronger in the Force" than anything GL has done in the last years.

I may have some problems with the PT, but I don't see how anybody can say that the OT has more story than the PT. (or that the Spiderman series does either.) The prequels are an incredible tapestry of subplots, motivations and machinations. We have the questionable motives of the Trade Federation blockade, a wily senator, a questionable boy with a miraculous origin, the return of the Sith, a prophecy revolving around the Jedi, the Jedi inability to use the Force anymore, an ex-Jedi leading a seperatist movement, a plot to kill a senator leading an anti-war bill, a secret army ordered under mysterious circumstances by a long-gone Jedi, a romantic subplot between a Jedi hero and a politician, a full-scale war, a blossoming relationship between a Sith politician and the Jedi hero, tensions between the Senate and the Jedi, our Jedi hero becoming an unwitting spy for the Sith, visions of the future, a secret pregnancy, the framing of the Jedi, the elimination of the Jedi, our hero turns to evil, and the Republic becomes the Empire.

It may have problems, but there's no way it's shorter on story than the OT.

And the PT certainly has more story than the Spiderman trilogy... heck ROTS on its own has more story than all of the "silly" Spiderman films.

Big Sexy
Both may have been silly...but spider-man 3 was at least better than ROTS Agreed

mr.smiley
Originally posted by sithsaber408
I may have some problems with the PT, but I don't see how anybody can say that the OT has more story than the PT. (or that the Spiderman series does either.) The prequels are an incredible tapestry of subplots, motivations and machinations. We have the questionable motives of the Trade Federation blockade, a wily senator, a questionable boy with a miraculous origin, the return of the Sith, a prophecy revolving around the Jedi, the Jedi inability to use the Force anymore, an ex-Jedi leading a seperatist movement, a plot to kill a senator leading an anti-war bill, a secret army ordered under mysterious circumstances by a long-gone Jedi, a romantic subplot between a Jedi hero and a politician, a full-scale war, a blossoming relationship between a Sith politician and the Jedi hero, tensions between the Senate and the Jedi, our Jedi hero becoming an unwitting spy for the Sith, visions of the future, a secret pregnancy, the framing of the Jedi, the elimination of the Jedi, our hero turns to evil, and the Republic becomes the Empire.

More story plots doesn't equal better quality.The biggest thing lacking in the PT were the characters.In the end I really didn't care what happened.I didn't get angry when any of the jedi were slain.I didn't get excited when Anakin made the transition to Vader.The original trilogy had interesting characters that inriched the story.The PT has famaliar characters,but it's really just the name.Some characters seemed too sterotyped for me to even take seriously.I think Lucas belived he could could build excitment on the sole name of some of these characters without making them unique.The ot characters were personalities you were seen being played out for the first time in that kind of film.Han Solo was a lot like a vagabond cowboy who just so happend to be in outer space.Laya seemed to be the typical princess.However,she wasn't helpless.She was resourceful.I could continue on and on but I won't.The point is the PT failed to make these characters unique or interesting.Sure we know what's coming,but that doesn't mean you have to play the characters out like they know it as well.

It may have problems, but there's no way it's shorter on story than the OT.

And the PT certainly has more story than the Spiderman trilogy... heck ROTS on its own has more story than all of the "silly" Spiderman films.

sithsaber408
Only agreed by a few.

Most critics disagree. Look at Rottentomatoes.com, which takes all reviews of a film and gives it an average score:

Spiderman 3- 61% http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spiderman_3/

ROTS- 81% http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_3/

big grin

steverules
How do we know that site isn't run by some star wars fan boys and soe spider-man hating...people

mr.smiley
I never have liked Rotten tomatoes.some of the list they do I think are total BS.However,that only leads me more to belive people will like anything.

sithsaber408
How do we know that site isn't run by some star wars fan boys and soe spider-man hating...people Originally posted by mr.smiley
I never have liked Rotten tomatoes.some of the list they do I think are total BS.However,that only leads me more to belive people will like anything.

Because they list each and every review, and reviewer with a link to the whole review.

And its Roger Ebert, USA Today, New York Times, Time Magazine, Entertainment Weekly, etc....

Seriously, did you click on the links at all, or are you just trying to make some silly argument that Spiderman 3 was better than ROTS with no back-up other than your own feelings about the PT?

steverules
I liked ROTS, I just found it stupid how they try and make Anakin look powerful by killing younglings...can't believe I'm using the word younglings. I liked Spider-man 3 over ROTS, I don't like how George is calling this movie stupid when he gave us Jar Jar Binks as Padme's replacement on the senate!!!

sithsaber408
I liked ROTS, I just found it stupid how they try and make Anakin look powerful by killing younglings...can't believe I'm using the word younglings. I liked Spider-man 3 over ROTS, I don't like how George is calling this movie stupid when he gave us Jar Jar Binks as Padme's replacement on the senate!!!

GL didn't say it was stupid or that it sucked, just that it was a little silly.

And it is.

Dancing Parker? Phone tag between MJ and Peter? Eddie joking with Captain Stacy as Gwen hangs about to die? The kid selling JJJ the camera?

You're confusing a sound plot with Spiderman 3's silly one now Steve.

Jar-Jar was tricked by Palps, and used for his stupidity.

It wasn't "stupid" of GL to do this... rather it takes Jar-Jar's goofy, clumsy, but helpful nature in EP1 and uses it in the next film to show how he was easily manipulated into giving Palps his military powers.

And as Ep1 shows, the Naboo and the Gungans are 2 parts of one world. Let's not forget that Jar-Jar is considered somewhat of a hero for his role in the Battle of Naboo. He would also represent Naboo in the senate, with Padme as the actual senator. It makes sense that he would take her place for a short time as an assasination is being investigated.

Maybe it's stretching it a little..... I know, we could have had the old butler who'd been around for 2 whole movies show up and tell Jar-Jar that Palps has always needed emergency powers and that he should give them to him. 131

steverules
Jar Jar got beaten...he didn't win, he lost! The only reason why he wasn't killed was because the battle station that was controlling the droids had been destroyed...by Anakin. If that battle station hadn't been detroyed then Jar Jar = Orange goo

mr.smiley
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Because they list each and every review, and reviewer with a link to the whole review.

And its Roger Ebert, USA Today, New York Times, Time Magazine, Entertainment Weekly, etc....

Seriously, did you click on the links at all, or are you just trying to make some silly argument that Spiderman 3 was better than ROTS with no back-up other than your own feelings about the PT?

Their is no back up.A review of a movie from a magazine is not fact.It's a persons opinon.They might get paid for it,but nonetheless it is a well thought out opinion,which is a review.You can't factualy prove any movie is better than another.You can show reviews or gross earnings to show a films sucssess but that doesn't make it factualy better than another film.

sithsaber408
Jar Jar got beaten...he didn't win, he lost! The only reason why he wasn't killed was because the battle station that was controlling the droids had been destroyed...by Anakin. If that battle station hadn't been detroyed then Jar Jar = Orange goo I said "considered somewhat" of a hero. He was awarded a medal at the end remember?

My point still stands. Him as a representatve of his species on Naboo makes sense, as does him stepping in briefly for Padme.

Do you wanna continue debating Jar-Jar as a temp fill-in for the senator (perfectly logical) and the commercially/critically successful PT, or do you have some sort of comment as to how GL is wrong and Spiderman 3 wasn't silly?

steverules
Well...lets face it...the bit where spider-man is dancing down the street is meant to be silly...they were just adding humor to the movie and showing how cocky and arrogant spider-man had become.

sithsaber408
Ok, that addresses one point from my earlier post:

"Now I loved Spiderman 3 really, I think it's the best as far as action and I liked the conclusion of the Peter/Harry arc.

It's a good movie for popcorn fun.

But it IS silly.

It's not deep and complex as some would say.

It's "complex" that a meteor with a symbiote just happens to fall next to Peter Parker? It's "complex" that somehow Venom knows all about Sandman and his daughter and after a two second lame conversation they decide to fight Spiderman together (for no reason, there's no reward or anything)? "Complex" that a woman is hanging from a 40 story building and about to die, yet her father and boyfriend can stand idly by as peaceful as hindu cows making jokes? "Complex" that Bad Peter Parker manifests itself by a Petrelli haircut and jazz club dancing? Is that "complex" enough for you Rindain? What about the shameless pandering by having spiderman swing by a giant american flag? Is that complex? Or about the fifty or so little kids standing at the base of a construction site in the middle of the night while a huge superpowered battle is going on right above their heads? I guess it's a deep complexity as to why any parent would allow their kids to be standing there gawking upwards within a fifty feet of unbelievably mortal danger?

No, GL is right... it's silly."

Got anything to say about the others?

(I didn't even mention the walking down the street bit, because I liked that part. The Jazz club stuff was stupid.)

And don't forget the f*cking butler.

That was out-and-out the silliest cheap plot device I've ever seen. stick out tongue

mr.smiley
GL needs to understand star wars films are just as silly.I didn't walk out of the theatre really in deep thought about the movie.I took the PT just as equally as silly popcorn fun.I just don't know if GL could take criticism like that.Maybe he can.I just think GL should put the PT trilogy in the mirror and take a good hard look.He would probably see a lot of silly popcorn fun in his own films too.

sithsaber408
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/451161_1-points-that-state-why-this-was-a-bad-movie

laughing out loud

mr.smiley
http://www.chefelf.com/starwars/ep1.php

Even more reasons to hate the new Star Wars Trilogy than to hate the SpiderMan trilogy.

fanboy 1988

Even more reasons to hate the new Star Wars Trilogy than to hate the SpiderMan trilogy.

Smiley just owned sithsaber408 laughing

mr.smiley
Their are reasons to dis Spiderman 3 but I think it's very very very clear that their are even more reasons to question the plot and story of the the PT.

WrathfulDwarf
I think this is a case of a wrong person saying the right thing.

Burnt Pancakes

Wow, you owned yourself, actually. I just read the reasons, and most of them are ridiculous. The maker of that site is obviously biased, and an OT fanboy.

mr.smiley
I can't say their ridiculous.He obviouly is venting some anger but a lot of his points are very good.Reasons 84-87 for Episode 3 are all very good points.OT fanboy are not,not all these reasons to hate Star Wars are old school fan boys venting anger.Even at that,he went through every episode very carefuly.I could just as easily say PT supporters are new school nuthuggers but I won't go their because that becomes a pointless arguement of which group of fanboys are sorrier.

AngryManatee
Sorry to say Mr. GL but Ep III was horrible. Ep I was horrible as well. Ep II was ok.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I think this is a case of a wrong person saying the right thing.

That's a good way of putting it.Their are some people that could have said that and I wouldn't be out to put down their movies.However,Geoge Lucas has no room to talk.

Kadesh
Lets see TESB >>> any spiderman movies, the plot the characters the antagonist No kidding but i like spiderman too

And just to add on, EP I II III sucks, OT ftw .

spiderman movies > PT for me But OT>>>> spiderman.

Assholic jar jar Right and 98% for episode V clearly puts it above spiderman 3 because in this forums, we are talking to spiderman fanboys who cannot accept the fact that more people prefer the OT than the franchise, However like i said, i put s3 above the PT

Big Sexy
Originally posted by Kadesh
Lets see TESB >>> any spiderman movies, the plot the characters the antagonist No kidding but i like spiderman too

And just to add on, EP I II III sucks, OT ftw .

spiderman movies > PT for me But OT>>>> spiderman.

Assholic jar jar Right and 98% for episode V clearly puts it above spiderman 3 because in this forums, we are talking to spiderman fanboys who cannot accept the fact that more people prefer the OT than the franchise, However like i said, i put s3 above the PT Of course though. The OT are classics. But its definitely better than the NT.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.