British Cinema

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

exanda kane
British cinema has had an awfully unconsistent history; one minute you'll get a hyperbole vision of heroin soaked Glasgow in Trainspotting, next minute we are glazing the English countryside in one of hundreds of generic heritage flicks, and it has always struggled with a universal appeal. Some of you may be british like myself and want a few more interesting homegrown productions, some might not. Those of you from outside the UK (the majority) might have your opinions on British cinema, then again you might not.

I want to ask a few questions, such as what is your favourite British film? Do you think British or homegrown cinema anywhere in the world for that matter, have more of a spotlight?

I've been milling over this continuing discussion for a while now, yet was provoked recently by This Is England, a slightly predictable, yet engagingly gritty drama, set a few decades back. It's the kind of film that won't make it out of the UK, it's very british, but in a way that isn't too accessible for widespread audiences. I enjoyed it, wouldn't buy it on DVD mind, but it reminded me how hopelessly bleak these kinds of films are to both a native Brit and god help us, foreigners.

Thoughts?

Face
The only good British film to be made was James Bond otherwise they are better known for comedys like Borat and Mr Bean

Dusty
Originally posted by Face
The only good British film to be made was James Bond otherwise they are better known for comedys like Borat and Mr Bean

exanda kane
Since when's James Bond been British? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Not since Fleming wrote the damn books. Favourites of mine include Made in Britain and Trainspotting (as forementioned). There's a few entertaining ones such a Four Weddings and a Funeral etc, but if anyone believes Notting Hill is full of middle class public school educated toffs, then they are very much mistaken. Other films like Football Factory can be entertaining, but really not very appealing to wider audiences. I'm not a fan of Guy Ritchie stuff.

Solo
This thread is awfully ignorant. Then again, I could never take anyone who uses the word 'unconsistent' very seriously.

exanda kane
Care to explain? Or will you just tease me kiddo? roll eyes (sarcastic)

jaden101
for a start trainspotting is set in Edinburgh...not Glasgow

you want great British films

dead mans shoes
a room for romeo brass
16 years of alcohol
sweet sixteen
long good friday
ganster no 1
the krays
twin town
withnail and i
the lady killers
lawrence of arabia
great expectations
bridge on the river kwai
scum
quadraphenia
the dam busters
a clockwork orange
my name is joe
the wickerman
the killing fields
get carter
a fish called wanda
monty python

or Irish (cause it close enough)

the commitments
disco pigs
in the name of the father

and for those who say that British films never really make it that big outside the UK..

harry potter

chillmeistergen
Most of Trainspotting was filmed in Glasgow though.

EDIT: That is a very good list by the way, I completely agree with most of them.

exanda kane
Originally posted by chillmeistergen

EDIT: That is a very good list by the way, I completely agree with most of them.

Thankyou

Solo
Originally posted by exanda kane
Care to explain? Or will you just tease me kiddo? roll eyes (sarcastic)
I'm sorry, I didn't read your whole rant. Ignore my previous post, that's aimed at Face. Anyway, This is England is alright, a step down from Dead Man's Shoes, though. My favorite british film is either Blowup, or 2001: A Space Odyssey.

exanda kane
Originally posted by jaden101
and for those who say that British films never really make it that big outside the UK..

harry potter

Made with american money.

I'll amuse you a little.

Another "Great British" movie franchise is James Bond, made with american money. See the pattern building up? It's all american money. Hell, statistically Batman Begins was a British film, yet all made with american money, little to none of this income goes back into the British film industry. Of course, British stars will be paraded around in big Warner Brothers outings like Harry Potter, but in the end, nothing is going back to the British film indsutry.

One year, a massive hit for the industry, last I remember was The Full Monty, generated massive gross, yet all american money. Four Weddings And A Funeral, made masses of cash, yet Working Title's deal with a major Hollywood studio meant most of the profits disappeared again. One year, a massive hit, then next year the industry goes bust.

Maybe I am sounding the trumpet of doom a bit much. British cinema has done well recently, Film4 was been resurrected from the grave of making too many forumlaic heritage dramas, but it's happened before.

Maybe I'm the only Brit, or the only Brit who cares though.

chillmeistergen
What I'm definitely not a fan of is what Britain is beginning to presented as in movies nowadays. Take Green Street for instance, need I say more, absolutely ridiculous.

manorastroman
peter greenaway. bruce robinson. stanley kubrick. danny boyle.

c'mon.

jaden101

so what...black hawk down was filmed in morrocco...wasn't set there was it?

that implies that it was set in Glasgow...it wasn't

true...but it was made by a british production company

on a related note...hammer horror just got bought over today and is apparently going to be resurrected

big grin

or maybe you're only scratching the surface and looking at what is well known rather than what is good

and granted many british films are either crap period drama like pride and prejudice or gritty gangster or drug films like trainspotting or the krays...for 1...the foreign markets lap up the period nonsense...and 2...the gritty stuff is extremely watchable and convincing and more importantly...capable of being made on small budgets

if these films portray a skewed view and people think that's what britain is actually like then clearly those people are idiots.

if that were the case then everyone around the world would think that the US were a crime soaked gun infested hell hole country where the rich people live in complete isolation and everyone else eeks a living by selling their babies for their next toke of the crack pipe.

vintageSW77
What no DEATHLINE?

This Is England is a nice little flick if you can find a cinema showing it
my local Multiplex doesnt have it on yet it has 3 Bollywood movies on amongst Spidey showing on about four screens as well
one of the critical faves of the year thus far and can you see it?

can you ****

exanda kane

r maybe you're only scratching the surface and looking at what is well known rather than what is good

Fair enough for your opinion, but I am actually intentionally looking at how the British film industry is perceived in the rest of the world, relevant of some of the great stuff which comes out of the industry; it simply is not accessible to the audiences Hollywood can attract. Is it important whether the British industry should emulate the glamour of Hollywood? I don't know. That is what I am asking.

Yes, many other countries go wild for the period nonsense, but does that make it interesting? For me, it doesn't, and although making films like these may attract well to do middle class foreign markets and generate some money, it is a pain that people believe Britain is a quaint little backwards country. Yes, it is silly that it can be peoples perception, but none the less, they will think that.

After all, A Room With A View, often called the quintisentionally British film, proves that these period pieces need not even be made by British talent.

This is something I disagree with you on. Some British films can be very watchable, a la Richard Curtis penned films (even with a glorified view of Britain), but the gritty, gangster films never seem to have any universal appeal to me. Sure, they can by clever, even witty at times, but compared to the big budget films (when done correctly) that cater for everyone, they just don't hit the mark.

exanda kane
double post

MildPossession
Vintage - I adored This Is England, definitely one of my favourites so far this year.

bakerboy
The british cinema is truly amazing. As good as the american. In special, i love Julie Christie's first movies like doctor zhivago, darling, billy liar, far from the madding crow or petulia.

British actors are the best actors ever.

jaden101
for me a music analogy is apt...hollywood churn out the huge budget well marketed films with what i consider to be little or no artistic integrity at all...the equivalent of chart pop music...britain produce the critically acclaimed yet poor in a commercial sense type films

i dont think britain could emulate the US in terms of huge blockbusters anyway...there isnt a british only film company capable of throwing $100,000,000+ at a film and i'd hate to see what happens if they did

regardless...when they do have a slightly bigger budget it generally produces great results...sunshine being a recent example

like any genre...it depends on the film...while lock stock and snatch are generally considered well liked but piss poor...films like the debt collecter and the long good friday are utterly brilliant

i personally would rather british film companies churned out these films as cash cows to allow more adventurous film making and for the most part thats what they do...i, as with you, personally dont rate them at all...but they serve a purpose

where as in hollywood there is generally no interest in making films outwith certain characteristics...

everything is about the $$$$...a film HAS to gross so much in order to make the next film that has to gross so much...

there seems to be absolutely no interest in the art form anymore

there are obvious exceptions that people will still flock to see because of a particular director

perhaps that's what the UK lacks...enough credible directors who will attract money and are still given artistic freedom because the punters will still pay because its a given that the film will have a high standard

people like scorcese and spielberg for example

=Tired Hiker=
Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story, was the bomb, yo! rock

exanda kane
Credible directors like Ridley Scott (although that description doesn't extend to his brother) could do more though. Actually, I don't believe I have the right to accuse a director like Scott of not doing enough for his indigneous industry, hell I don't even know the guy, but none the less, he could be capable of doing something commendable.

jaden101
for me Ridley Scott is a poor director because many of his film just fall away towards the end...he is probably one of the best visual scene constructers and his films always look beautiful but perhaps that makes him a better cinematographer than it does a director

exanda kane
Certainly, that's an arguable point, but none the less he is a recdible British director, among many others.

Perhaps it really does not matter, perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself, where there are other struggling industrys which deserve more attention, but I'm really getting tired of kitchen sink dramas of skinheads, irrelevant of how good they are.

chillmeistergen
I think foreign cinema has proved it can do the whole gangster theme a lot better than us sometimes. For example City of God, that was an absolutely marvellous depiction of gang culture.
British cinema seems unable to do this without including some cliche. There are of course, exceptions, but generally this is true.

vintageSW77
Love Honour and Obey being a prime example of the cliche ridden Uk gangster flick
ive never seen anything so poor......its beyond terrible

jaden101
I think foreign cinema has proved it can do the whole gangster theme a lot better than us sometimes. For example City of God, that was an absolutely marvellous depiction of gang culture.
British cinema seems unable to do this without including some cliche. There are of course, exceptions, but generally this is true.

there is a world of difference between gang and gangster films but in sentiment i agree that some countries do exceptional films that wouldn't work all that well from a UK perspective...the equivalent of citade de deus in the UK would be film about chavs...and that's not EVER going to be interesting

which was the entire point of the film...it's essentially a parody of other gangster film but it's a hell of a lot more subtle about it that the smack in the face parodies that hollywood turns out

exanda kane
Went to Notting Hill the other day. Got a friend with a flat there. Not a white face in sight, not that I have a problem with that, but what I do have a problem with is Richard Curtis' Notting Hill, where I do not think there is a black face in sight. If I was a resident of Notting Hill, I think I really would be quite offended. It leads to some uncomfortable questions.

Do we have to see England as a purely caucasian society?

Why did Richard Curtis or Roger Michell (director) use a strictly white cast in a traditionally multi cultural area of London?

Are relations between black and white communities and bridging gaps a moot point if we do need a white cast to relate to?

I understand there are places in the world where race issues affect everyday live on a dramatic basis, and that the afore mentioned points might seem small in comparison, but surely we don't need to throw a veil over our eyes to watch a film in the cinema in 2007?

chillmeistergen
That post, though veering off it, did remind me of a fantastic British film; East is East. That was a brilliantly insightful piece of film making.

exanda kane
Yeah, East is East is a great film.

vintageSW77

which was the entire point of the film...it's essentially a parody of other gangster film but it's a hell of a lot more subtle about it that the smack in the face parodies that hollywood turns out

Its just a job for the mates self indulgent abomnation

Captain Maynard
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

Guy Ritchie FTW

LoneUnknown
One of my favourite british films has to be Nil By Mouth. It's so real and the plot is great and the acting is amazing. Escpecially by Ray Winstone and Kathy Burke. The film really hit me hard when I was watching it as it is so powerful and realistic.

MildPossession
Nil By Mouth is a hard watch, but a must see.

Bicnarok
Trainspotting was a horrible film.

Lock stock and 2 smoking barrels.
Dog soldiers.
The football factory
The 51 state.
Day of the triffids (old but top)
3 weddings and a funeral

T.M
Personally I think the Monty Python films are the best British films ever.

Deano
alien
clockwork orange cool

Bicnarok

exanda kane
I guess you could say it was...well actually, other than Ridley Scott being British and Ian Holm I really don't see anything British about it.

MildPossession
It's a co production with America apparently. Was filmed all in England too.

exanda kane
Still, if you watch, does it remind you of rainy little Britain? It's subject matter just bleeds of American/Universal appeal, not British appeal. To be expected I guess.

Bicnarok
In Gigers sets, brilliant artist that man.

vintageSW77
apart from Ford,Hamill and Fisher ive always found STAR WARS EPISODE IV to be very british because of the other cast and the Elstree and british crew
it rubbed off i think
there are times it reminds me of a Hammer flick
or am i just mental?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.