On-Screen Smoking In Movies: Automatic "R" Rating?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
*sigh*

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/11/film.smoking.reut/index.html

Oh, no. Violence, guns, and explosions are fine...but smoking?! *gasp* Think of the children!

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Starhawk
I agree, that is ridiculous.

debbiejo
It's for our own good...Soon we will all be vegetarians........Hehe

ADarksideJedi
There is not alot of movies that people smoke in it.Just remains me of the movie "Thank you for smoking" if you never saw it I would say you should!
Children will do what they want.It is there choice to smoke and get lung cancer!JM

Violent K
Originally posted by Draco69

Oh, no. Violence, guns, and explosions are fine...but smoking?! *gasp* Think of the children!

roll eyes (sarcastic)

That reminds me of something. Parents are willing to take to their kids to movies that contains extreme brutal violent movie, yet they won't take em to a movie that has nudity?

ADarksideJedi
So true.What sort of parenting is that?Bad parenting if you ask me.When I was young I was not even allowed to watch a pg-13 or a Rated R movie at all.JM

Ytse
No responsible parent should care what the MPAA thinks. They should know their child and what is and isn't appropriate for them.

wuTa
*sigh*

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Don't forget sex, alcohol abuse, and drug use.

Secretus
Originally posted by wuTa
Don't forget sex, alcohol abuse, and drug use.

Yes please

Barker
*sigh*

roll eyes (sarcastic)
Violence, guns, and explosions are apparently not fine, since they've been factors in R ratings for years.

no expression?

Violent K
Originally posted by Barker
Violence, guns, and explosions are apparently not fine, since they've been factors in R ratings for years.

no expression?

Old cartoons(Roadrunner & Tom and Jerry) begs for differ.

JacopeX
*sigh*

roll eyes (sarcastic) Actually, it is still an automatic R rating puting extreme Violence in it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Starhawk
I think we should eliminate the R rating all together.

Ytse
Originally posted by Starhawk
I think we should eliminate the R rating all together.

What difference would it make?

JacopeX
I think we should eliminate the R rating all together. That's laughable. And let children watch a man being decapitated since it is rated PG?

Right.

Starhawk
I watched Nightmare on Elm Street when I was 8 years old and I'm not out killing people or anything.

darth siphon
My parents trust me enough to watch most R rated movies, since they know i wont go smoke weed just cuz i saw it in a movie. however, there are some dumb*** kids that will, and they are the reason why we have these ratings.

KAM3184
I think its a bit extreme

Strangelove
The MPAA ratings are meaningless anyway. I've never given a shit whether a movie is rated R, PG-13, NC-17, whatever. Either a movie is appropriate for children or not. Done and done.

Adam_PoE
UTL3XMDwY0c

Bardock42
I watched Nightmare on Elm Street when I was 8 years old and I'm not out killing people or anything.

You are giving arguments for the opposing side again.

Originally posted by debbiejo
It's for our own good...Soon we will all be vegetarians........Hehe

That makes no sense in the same sentence.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Violent K
That reminds me of something. Parents are willing to take to their kids to movies that contains extreme brutal violent movie, yet they won't take em to a movie that has nudity?
I remember when my dad took me and my sis to see Scarface when i was in grade school.

Fishy
Stupid ratings, it's still up to their parents to raise their kids not to some government agency's.

ADarksideJedi
Did that get you to start smoking Jedi?I doubt it.Not everyone smokes becaues they see it on movies.I know I don't.I just smoke because of different reasons but not because everyone was doing it.jm

{{QS}}
R rating's serve no purpose as kids can still watch them so its the same as a PG-13.The British way is better.

U-suitable for all ages
PG(don't agree with this one's purpose)Suitable for all age's but parents are reccomended to not allow small children to view the film
12A-If you are over 12 you can view the film regardless, under 12 requires adult
15-Over 15s only
18-Over 18s only

chillmeistergen
It's just the same old story of trying to shift the blame, onto something other than the child itself or the parents. It's happens with music, it's happens with films, it happens with schools and in some cases even books. Just another sign of society's deluded downward spiral.

ADarksideJedi
More like parents not caring at the time what kids these days watch anyway.They are more in there own life and jobs to care too much for there kids.
No wonder most kids are so mess up these days.jm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.