Should The Prequels been one movie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

chewy16
This is long if anyone is interested:

I have noticed that the majority of SW fans think ROTS is the best of the three prequels. I feel the reason for that is it is the meat of the PT story, and has the PT plot points everyone wanted to see, plus Lucas even admits ROTS has about 60% of the PT story he wanted to tell.

I am throwing out a theory that the PT should have been one movie, a prologue to the OT, that should be watched AFTER ROTJ. Throw away the roman numerals from Episode IV-VI, the SW saga is of 4 movies now.

This movie could have been about 3 1/2 hours mostly covering the main plot points from ROTS, but given the extended time, it wouldn't have given the movie more time to breathe.

Now many will counter you need certain aspects of I & II to setup everything in Episode III, and I say you can have the first half hour with various dialogue through the main characters talking about the events of Episode I & II. For instance, Kenobi & Anakin can talk about how he was found as a young boy and he was the chosen one, and that is big responsibility for him.

The main aspect would be that the PT would have been one event in lets say the summer of 2000, and I believe all the bashing and gushing that had gone on over the years wouldn't have existed cause there would be only one movie and it would be done. Sure there would be fans that love and defend it and fans that would hate it, but there would be a huge section who just enjoyed one more SW movie to give all the answers to the OT we wondered since 1983. By have 3 movies over 7 years, it just made many fans chose a side, and either enjoy the ride and not look at anything critically or become disgusted that they couldn't see anything good in the movies.

queeq
I think 2 hours is fine for a movie. I just think ROTS should have taken two movies.

chewy16
Yes, but what an epic movie a 3 1/2 hour ROTS could have been if it were the only one seen by SW fans. Think about all the comments you hear about Jar Jar, Jake Lloyd, the AOTC romance, all of that wouldn't exist.

We waited 16 years, and our first shot is ObiWan & Anakin flying in this huge space battle, I mean that could have been iconic! I agree with ya that ROTS should have been 2 movies, but I know I wouldn't have any problem watching a long SW movie if it is not a setup movie like TPM & AOTC, and I just think one prequel really could have done the trick.
Although Lucas wouldn't have made as much money as three prequels.

exanda kane
I don't have the cheek even suggest the changes needed, and if I did, I'd hardly know where to start. If I say ROTS should have been two films, I'd have the nagging feeling that that many plot points spread could in fact make it worse. What I did think ROTS done very well was cover all the plot points and tie up loose ends, and for this reason you could say that the prequels could have been one movie: ROTS. However, as an interesting watch, I don't think it stands up.

What I have said before though, is that TPM was not neccesary for the PT. Sure, we were introduced to a young Anakin, just to see what he was like, but a young Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon Jinn and a small skirmish between frogs and robots; these simply weren't neccesary.

Schecter
Originally posted by chewy16
This is long if anyone is interested:
Re: Should The Prequels been one movie?

yes and no.

i think the story of anakin should have certainly coincided with the fall of the republic for ep3, but with eps 1&2 focusing on the beginnings of the sith. i think that while palpatine was an awesome character, the elements which contributed to his story were completely weak.

so eps 1&2 should have focused on jedi vs. sith, with anakin being introduced in ep2, birthed from other jedi. ( i hate how they were turned into buddhist monks)

i really just dont like the backstory at all, and find it trite and tedious. all i find redeeming about the PT at this point is the action as well as emotion driven by our pre-attachment to certain characters already seen the OT. without the OT i feel the PT would have just popped and fizzled away.

General G
2 movies would have been good for ROTS, they could definately have shown so much more.

chinabing
No, the PT is fine as is.

Tangible God
One movie? Eek.

The PT should have been all about the Clone Wars. TPM should have been what AOTC is. AOTC should have been the war and hunt for Sidious and Dooku. ROTS should stay pretty much the same.

Only certain actors, dialog, characters and annoying visuals should be reformed or removed.

chinabing
Originally posted by Tangible God
The PT should have been all about the Clone Wars. TPM should have been what AOTC is. AOTC should have been the war and hunt for Sidious and Dooku. ROTS should stay pretty much the same. How ya gonna have Luke & Leia if Anakin & Padme don't fall head over heels? How they gonna fall in love if they don't meet? You have to set things up. You don't just jump into the Clone Wars, hey, people complained TPM jumped too far into the Tray-Fed battle moments into TPM! You need Qui-Gon to teach Obi-Wan how to fade in and out. You need the pod race, come on it's the pod race! That would be like cutting out the speeder bike chase in RotJ!

Tangible God
Originally posted by chinabing
How ya gonna have Luke & Leia if Anakin & Padme don't fall head over heels? How they gonna fall in love if they don't meet? You have to set things up. You don't just jump into the Clone Wars, hey, people complained TPM jumped too far into the Tray-Fed battle moments into TPM! You need Qui-Gon to teach Obi-Wan how to fade in and out. You need the pod race, come on it's the pod race! That would be like cutting out the speeder bike chase in RotJ! Yeah... okay, way to over-analyze my generalization.

~JP~
Originally posted by queeq
I just think ROTS should have taken two movies.

ditto

Count Makashi
Originally posted by General G
2 movies would have been good for ROTS, they could definately have shown so much more.

That would be great, or 1 movie of 5 hours, i wouldn't mind, it being so long.

exanda kane
Lucas would.

queeq
Originally posted by ~JP~
ditto

But then stretched more in the Clone Wars era and have the seduction of Anakin much much better than it is now.

General G
Originally posted by Count Makashi
That would be great, or 1 movie of 5 hours, i wouldn't mind, it being so long.

A movie that long would be hard to keep people's attention, although, I am sure it could be done.

Alliance
The PT should have been 5 or six movies. I don't know what the hell Lucas was thinking cramming it into 3.

~JP~
and have the seduction of Anakin much much better than it is now.

Like it was in the novels. yes

General G
Which novels?

queeq
Like it was in the novels. yes

It was a lot better there. I believed that.

General G
Which novels?

Darth Subjekt
Personally, I think ep1 should have started where ep 2 did, with Anakin already a padawan, and progressed from there, showcasing his true abilities. Also, I would rather have seen the initial creation of the clones, i.e. the deal with Jango and all that.

But not one movie. Also, like I'm sure many people do, I wish we would have seen more of Vader before the OT. They also should have shown OB1 being more rebellious or however he claimed to be in the OT.

~JP~

Laybrinth of Evil and Revenge of the Sith

chinabing
Originally posted by Tangible God
Yeah... okay, way to over-analyze my generalization. Generalizations demand to be over-analyzed so they don't happen again.

Tangible God
How drab.

JaehSkywalker
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
Personally, I think ep1 should have started where ep 2 did, with Anakin already a padawan, and progressed from there, showcasing his true abilities. Also, I would rather have seen the initial creation of the clones, i.e. the deal with Jango and all that.

But not one movie. Also, like I'm sure many people do, I wish we would have seen more of Vader before the OT. They also should have shown OB1 being more rebellious or however he claimed to be in the OT.

agreed.

Alliance
I find merity in seeing Anakin as a kid. Lucas just went the wrong direction and made him too innocent. There was no reason from his transition between I and II.

ADarksideJedi
That would had been one long movie!jm

General G
Laybrinth of Evil and Revenge of the Sith

Yeah, I could see that.

queeq
But LoE is EU, we don't discuss that here.

exanda kane
Do not touch the precious things!

~JP~
Yeah, I could see that.

Oh pfffffffft. You know I depise 99% of EU but that book was excellent.

Count Makashi
Dark Rendezvous was great, the best SW book.

Alliance
Karen Traviss' RC Novels droolio

General G
Oh pfffffffft. You know I depise 99% of EU but that book was excellent.

What's wrong with EU!!?? I could see the post ROTJ stuff, but before that, they are not bad.

queeq
NO EU IN HERE!!!! mad

General G
All you had to do was ask queeq, no need to yell.

Rampant ox
Dark Rendezvous was great, the best SW book.

queeq
I'm saying "NO EU" almost on a daily basis now. Why doesn't anyone get it?

General G
Have you said it today? Exactly.

Sith Master X
Lucas said it himself, all 6 of the Star Wars films are one giant movie. I don't feel that the prequels were rushed at all. 3 is usually a good number to work with. You can establish a beginning, middle and an end.

queeq
Have you said it today? Exactly.

Looks like you ARE getting it.

General G
See, all of your preaching and whining works.

queeq
Goooood...

General G
Do you feel powerful now?

queeq
I always do.

General G
Power will go to your head, you will end up being a corrupt leader (mod).

queeq
End up?

General G
You see, now I am questioning your leadership, it is corrupt.

queeq
And your point is?

General G
That I have little faith in your abilities.

queeq
That is why you fail.

General G
Or it is why you fail.

queeq
I haven't failed yet, as you haven't succeeded in anything yet.

Count Makashi
Gentlemen please, what is this, the 3 grade.

General G
No, he just won't admit that I am right.

queeq
About what?

General G
That I haven't failed at anything yet.

queeq
You have at trying to topple me.

chinabing
Geez, this is like an abbott & costello routine.

General G
You have at trying to topple me.
I am not done yet though, and what have you succeeded at?

queeq
At ruling this place... evil face

Count Makashi
At an end your rule is and such a short one, it was.

General G
At ruling this place... evil face

Which you have failed at.

queeq
Both of you will soon pay the price for your lack of vision.

General G
Oh really?

coolmovies
The PT should have been two movie snot three . GL made a very long saga out of it

aldisyoyo
Oh really?
yes, really?

General G
Prove it.

Sith Master X
Originally posted by coolmovies
The PT should have been two movie snot three . GL made a very long saga out of it

Yeah but think about. GL can never win with any decision he makes. He made 3 old movies, so now, the fans would expect no less than 3 newer movies. Had he made 2, there'd a been a crap load of whining about it. Trust me.

General G
TPM didn't really have to be in my opinion. It could started at AOTC with a bit more added storyline and then the second movie would be focusing on the CLone Wars and then ROTS as normal.

Sith Master X
Yeah, that could have worked too. It seems like they could have done alot with the clone wars.

General G
That and the child Anakin ruined a lot of it for me, there is no way he could have destroyed that Trade Federation ship by himself!

Sith Master X
That was stretching it a little. But, in a galaxy far far away....who know's what is possible? lol

But I know what you're saying. I think the reason I've been able to enjoy the prequels is that, beause you do make a valid point, I've just never let things like that get to me.

queeq
Hehehe...

Count Makashi
That Anakin destroyed that Trade Federation ship by himself doesn't bather me, what bothers me, that he did it by accident(oops, what does this button do style), it would be better if he did it on purpose.

queeq
No one ever saw the Phantom Edit? An editor once did a bootleg recut of TPM, before AOTC came out. In his cut Jar Jar is mostly gone and Anakin is a kid that knows what he is doing. No oopses, good tricks, and no this is not goods. Everything he does, he does consciensly. Works a lot better.

General G
Wow, that sounds better, where would I watch that?

queeq
It's an illegal cut. So try illegal sources.
The guy recut it from the first VHS that came out and sent a copy to Lucas.

Sith Master X
That was smart. lol

queeq
I thought it was stylish. He wasnt out to make a buck, he was trying to show TPM could be a lot better if cut differently. And all he had was the VHS.

General G
Alright, I am sure I can find it.

queeq
Hope so.

General G
Me too.

queeq
Phantom Edit... taht's the name.

General G
*writes down*

queeq
You can't write.

General G
Why not?

queeq
Because your little sister has to type all your answers in here.

General G
I don't have a little sister.

queeq
Liar.

General G
Only partly, I have an older one.

queeq
So she's about 12? evil face

General G
laughing out loud

I am definately older than 12!

queeq
12,5?

General G
Keep goin.

Count Makashi

General G
12,7?

Count Makashi
Thats how old are you.

queeq
Good call

General G
Hahaha...no.

Count Makashi
11,3?

queeq
Love the age guessing.

General G
I am still confused by the comma...

queeq
You shouldn't.

Count Makashi
I am still confused by the comma...

Your confused because 7 years old children still don't comprehend the world around them in full.

General G
You don't even understand the comma.

queeq
Your confused because 7 years old children still don't comprehend the world around them in full.

laughing out loud

General G
Aren't you two a riot. An 8 year old trying to be funny.

queeq
OOoh.... copy cat.

General G
How so?

Count Makashi
Because you copy others and have a cat.

queeq
Right on the mark.

General G
I have a cat, cats are great, but I do not copy.

queeq
Not even on a Xerox machine?

General G
Nope, not yet.

queeq
Amazing. You must be a stone age guy.

Count Makashi
Fred Flinstone is his neighbour.

queeq
G is Barney????

It would explain a lot though.

General G
Jealous?

Count Makashi
Why would anybody be jealous of Barney?

General G
Ask queeq.

Count Makashi
You ask him.

Alliance
Yeah.

queeq
Ask me what?

General G
Makashi wants to ask you something.

queeq
The answer is no.

General G
Of course. laughing out loud

queeq
What else?

General G
I don't know, I'm good. He might have another question though.

queeq
He might. Now he knows the answer to that one too.

Alliance
A resounding no.

queeq
At least.

General G
So there is no point in asking you anything.

queeq
Depends.

Alliance
So there is no point in asking you anything.

How badly do you want to hear the implied "no"?

Count Makashi
So the answer is no to everything, OK queeq, would you like your 50 bucks, i stole from you, back.

Violent2Dope
The answer to this thread is no.

General G
Depends.

On...

Alliance

queeq
So the answer is no to everything, OK queeq, would you like your 50 bucks, i stole from you, back.

THose were false.

General G
You didn't answer it though. Do you want it back?

Alliance
Go to a department store and spend them 13

queeq
You didn't answer it though. Do you want it back?

You know the answer.

General G
No?

Count Makashi
I wouldn't have gaved it back to him, even if he said yes, mwhahahahahaha(evil laugh), Hmmmmm, need to work on it.

General G
That's kinda rude of you, you stole it and won't give it back. Evil laugh does need some work.

queeq
Makashi needs to learn some manners.

General G
I noticed.

queeq
We all did.

General G
Teach him some, your the mod.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>