Could these movies work?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Madvillain
Which of these Marvel movies do you think could work on the big screen?

1. Cable

2. The Runaways

3. Starjammers

4. Black Panther

5. Dr. Strange

xmarksthespot
Dr Strange would be cool with today's special effects capabilities. Runaways could work, but that may be my own personal like of Runaways.

Starjammers? Nah. Cable? Nah.

Black Panther? Imho, possibly but not well I don't think. There'd be many a comparison to Batman by the average moviegoer.

Madvillain
1. Cable-- I think a Cable movie is entirely feasible, especially if it's set in a future timeline (think Terminator)

2. The Runaways-- This I think could definately work. So many good stories to choose from, and it could keep people entertained for years as a franchise.

3. Starjammers-- Hmm, this would be a hit or miss. Marvel has never done an epic sci-fi like Star Trek or Star Wars (not that they'd need to anyway), but something tells me a very good screenwriter can make a blockbuster out of their adventures...and I think the success of it will hinge on whoever plays Corsair. A strong leading male actor could pull it off. All the other stuff could sell themselves..

4. Black Panther-- read the thread I already made.

5. Dr. Strange-- a very longshot. i can't really see a film being made out of this...unless people are ready to dole out money to see an adult Harry Potter =)

xmarksthespot
Meh, if you didn't want comments about similarities the moviegoing public would draw between Black Panther and Batman, you probably shouldn't have put him in this thread as well. erm

Frankly none of these concepts have the necessary notoriety nor broad appeal of a Spider-Man or X-Men. And even Spider-Man 3 is currently, while not struggling, not doing as spectacularly as the first.

300 was an epic movie with spectacular cinematography, lack of competition, a lot of pre-release buzz and good word of mouth. 300 was basically a really long videogame FMV. I don't predict any of the above concepts would play out the same way.

Madvillain
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Meh, if you didn't want comments about similarities the moviegoing public would draw between Black Panther and Batman, you probably shouldn't have put him in this thread as well. erm

Umm, that wasn't directed an you in any way. It was just a general statement actually.

And why exactly would they need noteriety? How many people know of Blade, Hellboy or Constantine from comics? I assure you that not even a quarter of the people that have seen these movies know any of these characters from their respective comics.

xmarksthespot
The respective domestic box office numbers of Blade, Hellboy and Constantine were $70 million, $60 million and $75 million - not exactly spectacular when one looks at their respective production budgets of $45, $66 and $100 million. Blade had Wesley Snipes, a relatively bankable actor at the time. Constantine had Keanu Reeves and Rachel Weisz.

A big name actor tends to increase production budget. A film like the one you're proposing for Cable or the Starjammers, also need large effect budgets. Likewise Dr Strange, and possible for Runaways. Less so for Black Panther. I just don't see them being that financially successful.

roughrider
Only Black Panther and Dr. Strange could work on their own.
The others are just offshoots of the X-Men mythos; the mutants would have to be involved. It's not like they can just make a movie about the Shi'ar and the Imperial Guard, either.

mr.smiley
Dr.Strange

Nuff Said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black Panther could be translated,but I say with minimal sucssus.It would probably turn out about like daredevil.

endrict
Black Panther and Dr. Strange...the others nope not a chance.

Swanky-Tuna
You know what would make a good movie? QEZEL!

ragesRemorse
comic book movies have more than enough teenage angst running through the veins. so no to runaways, it would be the x-men movie without wolverine or xavier.

Cable is to vague of a character to focus a movie around without having some conection with the x-men so no

Black panther..Are you serious..batman in africa. There has been enough second string comic character with their own movies and it has enver worked. The subject material is more silly than most comics.

Starjammers..Only if enogh care went into the movie, and if comic flicks have taught us anything, its that care rarely goes into comic flicks. There are to many characters to focus on, By the time we were properly introduced to the characters, there would be no time for a story...Fantastic four anyone?

Dr.Strange...Yes this could be possible. This is a popular market for the occult and magic, and his character is very much rampant with diversity enough for compelling contrast

Kazenji
Dr. Strange is most likey one out of then all that would work.

llagrok
Originally posted by roughrider
Only Black Panther and Dr. Strange could work on their own.
The others are just offshoots of the X-Men mythos; the mutants would have to be involved. It's not like they can just make a movie about the Shi'ar and the Imperial Guard, either.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by Madvillain

1. Cable

2. The Runaways

3. Starjammers

4. Black Panther

5. Dr. Strange

The Black Panther will work after Wesley Snipes pays his taxes.

NoFate007
Dr. Strange and Black Panther have the potential to work...

however...

You're not gonna see a Batman Begins from them. You're going to see the Daredevil versions. They'll be good enough that you can see that they accomplished what they could've, but they won't be some mega-hit. Black Panther will get mediocre reviews because his story isn't as thrilling as other superheroes and we've seen some of these concepts before. Dr. Strange will get better reviews cause people will be hypnotized by the glitz and glamor of the special effects. The characters themselves, despite being well known amongst the comic community, simply aren't as heavy as those like Spider-Man, so they'll suffer from that as well as the almost guaranteed employment of some directors that will do the same as they did with Ghost Rider. They won't hire people like a Chris Nolan who won't be susceptible to "producer notes", so we'll get a lot of "maybe you should add some humor here" kind of things. If we get these movies, they'll be ok, but they'll certainly be nothing to write home about, so its a shame. However, you'll never see films about the others.

the comic kid
dr. strange, & black panther thats as far as I'll go.

tkitna
Actually, I could see the Starjammers work if it was kind of comedy based and it didnt take itself to seriously. I'm thinking maybe something on the lines of 'Serenity'. It wouldnt get the big budget though.

Entity
Originally posted by endrict
Black Panther and Dr. Strange...the others nope not a chance. Agreed

grey fox
Runaways - As a film it would fail , a Tv series on the other hand in the vein of (either) Buffy or the Live Action Clone Wars would work however.

Black Panther - ....No

Cable - Could work , you cut away all the X-men crap and just go with him being a super powered time-traveler , then focus on his jesus aspect before finally finishing it with him martyring himself.

Starjammers - Nope

Dr Strange - Possibly, make it less Harry Potter and more DnD and it could work.

lordboo
a dr strange animated movie has already been made,its out in August.

boriquaking55
Originally posted by Madvillain

1. Cable

2. The Runaways

3. Starjammers

4. Black Panther

5. Dr. Strange

1. Yes - although the studio would have to be very careful without making it look too much like the terminator films.

2. Yes - actually one of the better comic properties for adapting imo.

3. Hell no

4. Nope - it would be difficult for a studio to get on board for this, it's a risk.

5. Too difficult to pull off effectively imo - it could turn out horrible like that POS ghost rider.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.