Best guitar solo?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Funkadelic
So what do you think is the best guitar solo ever?

My choice is the solo on Funkadelic's song Maggot Brain by Eddie Hazel.

RIP Eddie Hazel

§P0oONY
Comfortably Numb.

Alpha Centauri
What's the criteria?

Favourite or best?

-AC

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
What's the criteria?

Favourite or best?

-AC

Don't bring that argument here. Steve Vai- Paganini's 5th caprice

vintageSW77
Dont Stop Me Now - Queen
maybe Beat It - Eddie Van Halen on Jackos Beat It

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
Don't bring that argument here. Steve Vai- Paganini's 5th caprice

Who are you again? I'm not bringing any argument anywhere, I'm asking him, because best could mean ability or what we think sounds the best.

Anyway, to the thread starter: What's the criteria? Favourite guitar solo, or best guitar solo?

-AC

2D_MASTER
Who are you again? I'm not bringing any argument anywhere, I'm asking him, because best could mean ability or what we think sounds the best.

Anyway, to the thread starter: What's the criteria? Favourite guitar solo, or best guitar solo?

-AC

Who am I? Ah, the eternal question...and the eternal answer is ; I don't Know. Sorries, tough guy, I thought you were trying to bring the pollution from the "you know what" thread into this thread.

Alpha Centauri
Not assuming things with put an end to that.

I wasn't.

-AC

Ytse
Steve Vai- Paganini's 5th caprice

Paganini was a technically impressive violinist. But transcribing his caprices for the electric guitar doesn't really count as a guitar solo, imo.

But who cares? Haha.

It's too difficult for me to choose one myself.

2D_MASTER
Not assuming things with put an end to that.

I wasn't.

-AC

Umkay thanks for the tip on life, oh knowledgeable wise owl. Go argue with EPIIIBITES.

Alpha Centauri
Favourite: It changes, but right now, the first solo from Sleeping Giant by Mastodon.

-AC

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by Ytse
Paganini was a technically impressive violinist. But transcribing his caprices for the electric guitar doesn't really count as a guitar solo, imo.

But who cares? Haha.

It's too difficult for me to choose one myself.

Why not, can you play that on guitar ? I think not, plus the music itself was written by a virtuoso. Techically impressive, yes so impressive only a guitarist of Steve Vai caliber can play it.

Ytse
Why not, can you play that on guitar ?

What does it matter if I can play it or not? That has no bearing on the nature of the piece itself.

And yeah, I can play parts of it. It's definately more difficult on a violin.

Or anyone who practices long enough...

2D_MASTER
What does it matter if I can play it or not? That has no bearing on the nature of the piece itself.

And yeah, I can play parts of it. It's definately more difficult on a violin.

so what youre telling me is someone who practices enough can play anything he are she wants.... that was a pointless statement. I was'nt talking about you specifically, it is a question to prove a point. You can play parts of it sure, but I doubt you an play it like Vai. Playing it like Vai does requires talent and LOTS of practice, thats why I think it's worthy of best guitar solo. The thread did'nt specify that the solo had be written by the artist. So...by your logic your think Jimi Hendrix's "star splangled banner" wasnt a guitar solo? He didnt write it. He just transrcibed it.

Alpha Centauri
That's not true, you can't play ANYTHING just by practicing. See "Best Guitarist Ever" thread for that argument being sewn up.

Not true.

Eric Clapton has said he physically cannot play what Vai plays, he's incapable, it's too fast and too technical.

-AC

2D_MASTER
That's not true, you can't play ANYTHING just by practicing. See "Best Guitarist Ever" thread for that argument being sewn up.

Not true.

Eric Clapton has said he physically cannot play what Vai plays, he's incapable, it's too fast and too technical.

-AC

I was'nt agreeing with Yste, I was trying to point out how what he said was pointless.

Ytse
So...by your logic your think Jimi Hendrix's "star splangled banner" wasnt a guitar solo? He didnt write it. He just transrcibed it.

Eh, I don't think that's a valid comparison. Hendrix altered that song quite a bit.

But in the strictist terms, sure both can be called guitar solos.

---------------------------------------------------------

Not true.

-AC

Who knows if Mr. Clapton just has a mental block about techniques like that? And anyway, sure, not *anyone* who practices enough can play it. Some people don't have arms for instance.

Alpha Centauri
Well, no. You can't reach any level of ability by practicing, that's ridiculous.

Nobody really knows where that natural ability comes from, for example, but some talent can't be taught or learned.

-AC

Ytse
Well, no. You can't reach any level of ability by practicing, that's ridiculous.

I didn't say *any* level of ability. I said anyone who could play guitar and also had the time to practice enough could play Paganini's 5th caprice on the guitar.

2D_MASTER
I didn't say *any* level of ability. I said anyone who could play guitar and also had the time to practice enough could play Paganini's 5th caprice on the guitar.

That goes with a lot of guitar solos. What's your point. And just because you can't recognized he DID change the piece a lot ,he did. Actually he didnt even call it Paganini's 5th caprice, he called the piece "Eugene's Trick bag" because it really was'nt Paganni note for note.. It was a variation on the piece.

§P0oONY

Nobody really knows where that natural ability comes from, for example, but some talent can't be taught or learned.

-AC
How can you say any ability can't be learned over time? What proof do you have of this? Even tone-deaf people can sing in tune with enough training and practice.

Alpha Centauri

Funkadelic

-AC

Whatever U choose

Alpha Centauri
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/325957_12-who-is-the-best-guitarist-of-all-time#post8888537

Read that page, Spoony, or the previous pages. One person suggested as you and Ytse did, and he was proven wrong.

-AC

Funkadelic
What do U guys think of Eddie Hazel BTW?

§P0oONY
The fact that many guitarists, with decades of practice, cannot play certain guitarists songs, or drummers, or bassists.

Pick one.

There's nobody on Earth who possesses what Hendrix did, you cannot teach what he had.

Clapton is regarded as one of history's greatest, he has admitted he cannot play Steve Vai's stuff. Slash cannot play Van Halen's Beat It solo.

These people admit it's not in their ability.

It's stupid to suggest anyone can play anything if they try, and if you want to discuss further, I'll bump the Best Guitarist Thread where this argument was put to rest previously.

-AC
Simply saying that no one could have what Hendrix had isn't proof. Guitarists admitting they can't play another guitarist's material doesn't mean they don't have the ability to, that's simply unfounded, what's to say that if they had homed their skills to the particular type of playing that it wouldn't be possible? Everyone has the ability to play at any level but it's not a linear thing, the human lifespan forbids anyone becoming a master of all.

Alpha Centauri
See the appropriate thread.

-AC

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by Funkadelic
What do U guys think of Eddie Hazel BTW?

I'm ignorant of the abilities and talents of this Eddie Hazel. I will have to check him out and tell you what I think later. Thanks for the indirect recommendation.

Funkadelic
Check the album 'Maggot Brain' by Funkadelic. He scorches on every track.

His career is like only that album. He went to prison for biting an air hostess and drug use.

Ytse
That goes with a lot of guitar solos. What's your point.

My point is that technical skill has nothing to do as being the same caliber of guitarist that Steve Vai is.

See, I'm familiar with Eugene's Trick Bag. It's from that movie with Ralph Macchio. But I thought you were talking about Steve Vai actually playing the 5th caprice...not a different song incorporating themes from the caprice.

2D_MASTER
My point is that technical skill has nothing to do as being the same caliber of guitarist that Steve Vai is.

See, I'm familiar with Eugene's Trick Bag. It's from that movie with Ralph Macchio. But I thought you were talking about Steve Vai actually playing the 5th caprice...not a different song incorporating themes from the caprice. [/QUOTE

Well I still call it the 5th Caprice, since about 90 perent of the notes were written and arranged by Paganini. Hence I used the word "varation", since it is a classical music piece. Anyways you still do not consider it "solo"?

Ytse
Well I still call it the 5th Caprice, since about 90 perent of the notes were written and arranged by Paganini. Hence I used the word "varation", since it is a classical music piece. Anyways you still do not consider it "solo"?

No, I said in the strictest terms they could be called guitar solos. But I was thinking more along the lines of something composed specifically as a guitar solo.

EPIIIBITES
Best solo I've heard....The Seahorses had a song called Love is the Law...their only good one really.

Only their album version, which is about 3 mins longer than the radio cut has John Squire's solo, ripping it for the long outro. Insane

pcp
I like the solo in 'Green Corn' by NOFX. Short and sweet, plus I know how to play it

Bardock42
I like the solo on Like a Stone by Audioslave a lot.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
Best solo I've heard....The Seahorses had a song called Love is the Law...their only good one really.

Only their album version, which is about 3 mins longer than the radio cut has John Squire's solo, ripping it for the long outro. Insane

I like the Fools Gold one a lot.

Skeets
Originally posted by Bardock42
I like the solo on Like a Stone by Audioslave a lot.
So do I....

sugarrogue
Side Of The Bullet Nickelback
Nausea & Shudder Gazette (dubble solo)
SILLY GOD DISCO Gazette

Nellinator
Floods by Dimebag Darrel of Pantera is up there for me.

If I can count double solos I'll go with the organ/guitar solo of John Lord and Ritchie Blackmore in Deep Purple's Highway Star.

Arctic
The solo on Open Your Eyes by Alter Bridge. Not very long but very melodic.

amity75
George Harrison's solo in "Something" is always looked over but it's one of my favourite solos.

BobbyD
Off the top of my head, my favorites, not necessarily best solos are by Slash in November Rain, and the instrumental piece by Eric Johnson.

chillmeistergen
The guitar solo in Strange Brew by Cream is one of my favourites.

Gideon
That all depends. If by that, you mean, no one on Earth can play Hendrix material, you are woefully mistaken. But I don't want to assume.

RedAlertv2
Of course thats not what he meant.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.