Question about TurboCache and laptop for gaming.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morridini
First off, I thought we used to have a Technical/Computer questions section before, but since I didn't find it I decided to post it here.

Anyway, this fall I am moving to the capital to go on the University full time. Instead of bringing with me this stationary computer I have decided to buy myself a laptop. However as I will spend a lot of time at my new place I want a laptop that can play games.

I have been searching around and found one that isn't too damn expensive and that I, with my limited knowledge of computers, think should work fine for gaming. However a friend of mine does not trust the thing called "TurboCache" and says it will ruin any possibility for playing games. Here is a link to the laptop I am considering buying: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c01036644&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Personally I have had some problems finding info about what this TurboChase thingy actually does, I have their official information site here: http://www.nvidia.com/page/turbocache.html

As well as some info my friend copy-pasted from somewhere (he hasn't been logged on after I last spoke to him so I don't know his source for this info):

"NVIDIA's TurboCache allows for a massive reduction of onboard memory on a video card by allowing the GPU to render directly to system memory this is different than AGP texturing as that was a read only operation. Unlike integrated video where video memory is statically locked down (the amount of video memory can generally be set by the end user inside the BIOS), TurboCache dynamically uses and releases memory when needed This is also different from an integrated video solution as high speed memory is still available to the GPU, only there is a reduced amount. NVIDIA stated that TurboCache is the product of over two years of engineering. They have made some changes to the 3D Pipeline to account for the increased latency of accessing system memory rather than strictly local memory.The amount of memory affects the amount of bandwidth available. Most configurations will show up as 128MB to the system."

What my friend says that TurboCache do to a computers gaming capabilities is (quick translation from Norwegian to English): "it takes a part of your computer memory and uses it for the Graphic Card....and those cards usually have a low GPU....that's crap and the graphic gets "granulated" (that's what my dictionary says, supposedly it gets very rough and more "pixeled"wink and laggy."

I myself end up looking like a big question-mark after reading this and listening to him, so do anyone know what the deal actually is with TurboCache? Will it ruin possibilities for playing games well?

K73SK
ok i only read end of 2nd paragraph and wanted to say...

i have nvidia 6200 TurboCache...it has 256MB of video in it and has a 3.0 shader. It doesn't ruin possibilites for playing games. It is an AGP 8x, and it plays games like Doom3, Two Worlds, Titan Quest, ETC. games like that very good. I put Doom3 on Ultra Detail, Two Worlds on low medium (requires a crap load man) and titan quest on maximum everything. I haven't tried Oblivion on the computer...so I can't tell ya lol. But yeah, I love my video card, but I'm still thinking about upgrading to a higher Nvidia, or maybe a high Radeon. So I can run two worlds on High...

But for the main part, I don't think it scews the capabilities or any of that crap. My computer runs great yes

oh btw, this thread might be closed just because it's not video game related, or moved to the computer help forum 13

EDIT : CRAP, you said Laptop, well...still worth a try!!!

Morridini
Well my friend insisted on the fact that TurboCache ruins game playing capabilities regardless if it is stationary or laptop, so if it works for you then it should work for a laptop as well.

Originally posted by K73SK
oh btw, this thread might be closed just because it's not video game related, or moved to the computer help forum 13

Where is that section?

K73SK
Yeah, just make sure you read what is on the TurboCache video card too. he may have just gotten a bad one or one that didn't reach his needs.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=79

Morridini
Ok so it seems it isn't that bad as he thought it to be.

And did the Computer help forum always stay this far buried? I think I remember a time when it was visible from the main index.

Spidervlad
How much does that laptop cost? Because I need to get a laptop soon as well.

Morridini
8999 Norwegian Crowns.

However Norway is a country with very high prices for everything, so it should be a bit cheaper in the US then the direct currency convertion would say:
8999 NOK = 1487.84 US Dollar

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.