Concerning Timelines

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Soljer
How does one, personally, understand the chronology of the Marvel Univese, unless we are explicitly told?

With the likes of Spiderman and Wolverine, for example. Those characters who appear in multiple titles, in multiple places at multiple times.

How do we know what happens when? Obviously Spiderman can't be doing two things at once.

With the likes of Wolverine, he can't be in space with the Astonishing X-Men and in four other books simultaneously on Earth...

What happens when?

Symmetric Chaos
Clones? Robots? Mass hallucination? Fluctuations in the quantum wave function of characters? Bad editors? Greed?

Badabing
Originally posted by Soljer
How does one, personally, understand the chronology of the Marvel Univese, unless we are explicitly told?

With the likes of Spiderman and Wolverine, for example. Those characters who appear in multiple titles, in multiple places at multiple times.

How do we know what happens when? Obviously Spiderman can't be doing two things at once.

With the likes of Wolverine, he can't be in space with the Astonishing X-Men and in four other books simultaneously on Earth...

What happens when? Just go with it man. I try not to think about it anymore.

Big Sexy

What happens when? If I'm not mistaken, Astonishing is taking place before civil war( I think).

DigiMark007
Marvel and DC have dealt specifically with this question many times before, and the basic gist of their response is "you need to have a healthy suspension of disbelief". So if a Spider-Man comic comes out a week after something in, say, X-Men...but it had to happen 1st, then it did.

Both companies have dozens of titles at any one time, so managing all that perfectly is impossible for anyone. But it's not to hard for us as readers to accept it and work it into the accepted way of understanding the respective universes, espeically for characters with multiple titles.

So yeah, not ideal....but it really only becomes a problem if we let it.

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by Badabing
Just go with it man. I try not to think about it anymore.

It's like trying to understand a temporal paradox. After thinking about it awhile, you either go insane or just say '**** it'. You're better just shrugging your shoulders and not even trying. wink I should know, I got a severe headache trying to figure out the temporal paradox in Babylon 5's 2nd season with the whole Valen and Babylon 4 thing. smile

Starhawk
I think they need to redo the Guardians of the Galaxy but the ones from 616 future.

Soljer
Originally posted by Starhawk
I think they need to redo the Guardians of the Galaxy but the ones from 616 future.

But no one here cares what you think. doped.

Symmetric Chaos

Putting periods after emoticons is still more annoying that Starhawk though ermm

StyleTime
DAMN! If I didn't know better, I'd say you do not care much for Starhawk.

I'm with the consensus on this one though. It's best if we just accept it.....and make fun of it from time to time. It is good for a laugh or two.

Soljer
Originally posted by StyleTime
DAMN! If I didn't know better, I'd say you do not care much for Starhawk.

I don't really have a particular problem with Starhawk.

I have problems with repeated socks. Annoying-as-**** repeated socks, that is.

long pig
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
It's like trying to understand a temporal paradox. After thinking about it awhile, you either go insane or just say '**** it'. You're better just shrugging your shoulders and not even trying. wink I should know, I got a severe headache trying to figure out the temporal paradox in Babylon 5's 2nd season with the whole Valen and Babylon 4 thing. smile
I always go with the multiple universe answer when it comes to the temporal paradox question. It makes more sense than "It's impossible".

Thought I'd toss that in there.......

...carry on.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.