The Reformation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

debbiejo
The Reformation began on October 31, 1517, when German monk Saint Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the Castle Church door in Wittenberg, Germany. This was one of the greatest events of the past 1,000 years. Do you think the Reformation did us more good or not and why do you think so.

Atlantis001
It was a good thing at that time, the political influence of the catholic church was starting to become weak and people to have more freedom.

A consequence is that we have lots of different christian religions today and a mess of many different beliefs, but I think that without the Reformation the problem would be the same.

I think the Reformation was a good thing since it helped neutralize the political power that the church had.

mr.smiley
I consider Martin Luther somewhat like Darth Vader.LOL!!!!

Well maybe not Darth Vader but I belive his story would make for a great movie.The guy called the church out on a lot of BS,however,he seemed to fall into his own personal cruelties and because of his belifes alot of bad things happend.Particulary to woman.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by mr.smiley

Well maybe not Darth Vader but I belive his story would make for a great movie.The guy called the church out on a lot of BS,however,he seemed to fall into his own personal cruelties and because of his belifes alot of bad things happend.Particulary to woman.

Yes, Darth Vader would be a good description. laughing out loud

debbiejo
*Darth Vader voice* Luke, Luke,... Mathew Mark Luke and John..

I know....pretty sad.. embarrasment

Devil King
Originally posted by debbiejo
The Reformation began on October 31, 1517, when German monk Saint Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the Castle Church door in Wittenberg, Germany. This was one of the greatest events of the past 1,000 years. Do you think the Reformation did us more good or not and why do you think so.

It did a whole hell of a lot of good that it likely (as far as Mr. Luther intended) didn't mean to do. But, like the age of enlightenment, the Renaissance period and the Industrial revolution, it's effects were all for the better. Mostly.

Devil King

What?

mr.smiley
Luther belived that your gender and race indicated how superior you were to other people.He belived Jews should be enslaved or thrown out of lands that Christian people were living in.He also supported the idea that their synagogues should be burned.He also considered woman the inferior sex (alot of people held that view though so nothing suprising).He belived that if a woman died during childbirth,it was of little importance because that is what she was there for.

Read HERE I STAND(Ronald H Bainton), the biography of Martin Luther.It's a great book about his life and about his troubles as a youth.It was really sad how scared the man was of death and how his beliefs kept him frightend for most his life.THE DARK SIDE OF CHRISTIAN HISTORY also talks a great deal about Martin Luther and his more extreame beliefs,which some of I posted above.

Fishy
Luther belived that your gender and race indicated how superior you were to other people.He belived Jews should be enslaved or thrown out of lands that Christian people were living in.He also supported the idea that their synagogues should be burned.He also considered woman the inferior sex (alot of people held that view though so nothing suprising).He belived that if a woman died during childbirth,it was of little importance because that is what she was there for.

Read HERE I STAND(Ronald H Bainton), the biography of Martin Luther.It's a great book about his life and about his troubles as a youth.It was really sad how scared the man was of death and how his beliefs kept him frightend for most his life.THE DARK SIDE OF CHRISTIAN HISTORY also talks a great deal about Martin Luther and his more extreame beliefs,which some of I posted above.

Pretty common in believes in those times really. Christians did believe that all other religions sucked, that they were superior and all others should die and they would all burn in hell. They did believe woman were inferior and that they didn't matter as much as man did. Those were just the believes of that time..

Naz
Originally posted by Fishy
Pretty common in believes in those times really. Christians did believe that all other religions sucked, that they were superior and all others should die and they would all burn in hell. They did believe woman were inferior and that they didn't matter as much as man did. Those were just the believes of that time..

Only problem is that even today some Protestant religions still think Catholics should burn in hell...and die...and stuff.

Ytse
Originally posted by Naz
Only problem is that even today some Protestant religions still think Catholics should burn in hell...and die...and stuff.

Are you referring to "the troubles" in Northern Ireland? The catholic/protestant conflict?

debbiejo
Well the Catholic religion is based on Pagan beliefs and the protestant, which are also based on that and now these religions have spread into over 100's of confusing denominations. The problem I see it is that now they are trying to convert each other. I don't believe when it was all Pagan originally that there was a problem with converting others. It's possible that the Catholic church would of died out and or a rebellion would of occurred stating that the truth of their history of paganism would of been revealed.

Fishy
Originally posted by Naz

And there are catholics that think the same, Muslims that believe that. Hindu's that believe that everybody else is an idiot and atheists who are so convinced that religions is evil that they are willing to kill to prove it.

Every believe has it faults, even today...

lil bitchiness
What did Reformation do for you (the west)?

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
What did Reformation do for you (the west)? Weakened the influence of the catholic church?

debbiejo
Well what really did the Catholic Church in was when Napoleon threw the Pope in prison. The church hasn't been the same since. That's when they lost quite a bit of their authority.

inimalist
Originally posted by debbiejo
Well the Catholic religion is based on Pagan beliefs and the protestant, which are also based on that and now these religions have spread into over 100's of confusing denominations. The problem I see it is that now they are trying to convert each other. I don't believe when it was all Pagan originally that there was a problem with converting others. It's possible that the Catholic church would of died out and or a rebellion would of occurred stating that the truth of their history of paganism would of been revealed.

societies based on pagan beliefs were just as violent and imposing of their beliefs as were monotheists. Industrialized pagan societies (such as Rome, Egypt, Greece, Persia, and a whack of other middle eastern societies) went to war frequently with each other.

On a side note, Muslim scholar Resa Aslan has recently talked about Islam as being on a tail end of a Reformation, where it is coming to grips with modernity much like the Catholic church had to 500 years ago.

debbiejo
Oh, well maybe I didn't make clear what my definition of Pagan was. I was not speaking of older and more formal religions but of this.

http://www.vohuman.org/Article/The%20Pagan%20Heritage%20of%20Humanity.htm

mr.smiley
Originally posted by Fishy

Yes.As i mentioned in that post as well.However,their were beliefs Martin Luther incorperated that helped pave the way for luthernism and future beliefs in Christian ideology.That's part of what makes him so popular.

Naz
Originally posted by Ytse
Are you referring to "the troubles" in Northern Ireland? The catholic/protestant conflict?

No, not really. I just live in the Bible Belt for 10 years, they don't like Catholics there....at all.
I didn't even think about Northern Ireland.

Strangelove
I come from a Catholic family, and there was this evangelical teacher at my high school who up and claimed that Catholics were not real Christians. I'm not religious at all, but I was still offended erm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.