sora bulq vs anoon bondara

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

IOU
fight takes place in the jedi temple training room as seen in the rots video game

both characters get as much prep time as they want

both characters receive full knowledge of their opponent

both characters are at their best

anything goes

darthsith19
Hmm, this is actually pretty close. Anoon is called the finest swordsman in the Jedi Order in 2 different novels (each take place less than a year before TPM). This puts him above people like Plo Koon, Mace Windu and Yoda, however, I'll let that one slip as the book was released in 2001 and Michael Reaves had no way of knowing how good Yoda was with a blade. That still puts Anoon as #2 in the order as far as swordsmen go, and he is referred to as one of the best fighters in the order. So #2 with a blade and probably top 5 overall, definitely top 10. However, Sora Bulq could very possibly have been the second best swordsman of that time, too, had he been in Anoon's shoes, and maybe even second best overall (TPM era Mace and CW Sora are close, I'd say). I say Sora takes this, both he and Anoon were lightsaber instructors at the temple but I'm guessing that Sora would be closer to Maul than Anoon was, though it's hard to tell - Anoon realized right away that he couldn't beat Maul, though that may be because he is intelligent, and just because he couldn't beat Maul doesn't mean that he wouldn't have lasted a long time in a duel with Maul. But Sora put up a decent fight against CW Mace Windu (even getting in a Force Push on Mace at one point), owned Tholme (at the end of the fight he's winning merely by using his deactivated lightsaber as a club and hitting Tholme with it) and he was beating Vos pretty badly until Vos turned back to the light with help from his fellow Jedi and caught Bulq by surprise. Yeah, Bulq likely takes this, close though.

IOU
well in terms of whos the better swordsman, id place my money on anoon

in virtually every source he appears in his skills with the saber are held in extremely high regard

for instance, from the cloak of deception:

"A Twi'lek, with slender head-tails and a heavily muscled upper body, his name was Anoon Bondara, a duelist of unparalleled skill. Qui-Gon engaged him in matches at every opportunity. For a match with Bondara, no matter how brief, was more instructive than twenty contests against lesser opponents."

from shadow hunter:

"At least she was not standing there alone. Behind her and slightly to one side was her mentor, Anoon Bondara. Master Bondara epitomized what Darsha hoped to become one day. The Twi'lek Jedi Master lived in the Force. Always still and complacent as a pool of unknown depth, he was nevertheless one of the best fighters in the order. His skill with a lightsaber was second to none. Darsha hoped that one day she might be able to exhibit a tenth of Anoon Bondara's adeptness."

from the power of the jedi sourcebook:

"darsha assant's teacher was the jedi master anoon bondara, a twi'lek jedi renowned for his skill with the lightsaber. to padawan darsha, of course, master bondara's prowess was unmatched."

anoon was also a practitioner of teras kasi, which would make him a far more dangerous opponent, given that hardly any jedi had any familiarity with the style whatsoever. from shadow hunter:

"The Jedi was obviously a master of the teras kasi fighting arts, as well, judging by the smooth way he parried and counterattacked."

and the power of the jedi sourcebook confirms that anoon was a master of teras kasi, not just a practitioner

being a lightsaber instructor, its also highly likely anoon was very proficient/had great knowledge, and perhaps even achieved mastery of multiple saber forms, or an extremely high mastery of his own, which is always a plus

so yes, clearly his technical abilities with a saber were virtually unmatched, and some of the best in the entire pt jedi order, so that coupled along with his mastery of teras kasi, and i think he may very well be able to take someone of sora's caliber in a straight out swordfight

close though

darthsith19
Is that right?

Yes, and so were Sora's.

Pretty impressive, I will agree, but "unparalleled skill"? Do you really believe that he is above Yoda? And Maul beat him, so. Plus Bulq at that time was probably just a Jedi Knight and not in his prime.

"One of the best fighters". The same can be said for Sora Bulq. I doubt Anoon was a better swordsman than Yoda, that was from Darsha's P.O.V., and she has probably never seen Yoda use a blade before. A tenth of Anoon's adeptness, not skill.

So it is only to Darsha, Yoda could take him. Sora is renowned for his skill as well. Do you have the sourcebook, if yes, what does it say about Sora in there?

Unfortunately, Teras Kasi is a form of unarmed combat, and it will not help her in a lightsaber duel, which this is sure to be. Sora has used the Force while he fights, as well, and how good are Anoon's Force Skills?

Sora was a lightsaber instructor, and he knows Vaapad, too, and uses it to a high degree. So actually, Anoon will have no knowledge of Sora's form, while Sora will likely have at least fair knowledge of whatever form Anoon decides to use, "which is always a plus".

Perhaps. However, it could be argued that Sora was the third best swordsman in the AOTC Order after only Yoda and Mace, who are both ahead of Anoon (surely you agree to this), so he could be ranked as high or higher as Anoon is. There is no disputing that Anoon is a very powerful swordsman, but so is Bulq. However, while Bondara is one of the TPM Order's greatest warriors, Bulq is one of the greatest warriors as well and has fought Mace Windu, who's ahead of Bondara, and put up a pretty good fight, at one point even Force Pushing Mace Windu. I'd guess that Mace Windu is likely a bit ahead of Anoon Bondara with the Force. Did Claok of Deception say that Anoon was able to beat Qui-Gon in a duel? It looks that way from what you posted, that's very impressive, however, Bulq is stronger than Jinn as well. I just don't see Anoon Bondara being able to do this:

http://swtimeline.ru/comics/Clone_Wars_Vol_1/Clone_Wars_Vol_1_118.jpg
Taking on Mace, putting up a relatively good fight, and even managing to Force Push the great Jedi Master at one point. I will admot, however, that, in the end, Mace defeats Sora by throwing some rocks at him, but then is forced to run and fight Asajj Ventress and is unable to finish Bulq off.

And I also doubt that Anoon could do this:

http://swtimeline.ru/comics/Clone_Wars_Vol_8/Clone_Wars_Vol_8_119.jpg

As you may know, Tholme is a fairly strong Jedi, who has "kept dueling skills up more than most Jedi." Lightsnake (one of the members here, good debater), even believes that he is above Asajj Ventress (which I think is riduculous, but). And yet Bulq completely owns him. They hadn't been fighting for long before that, either. It's not like that was the end of a close duel, or anything.

You do have a lot of good points, however. This would be extremely close. Welcome to the forms!

Count Makashi
This is very close, both Sora and Anon are one of the best fighters in the order in their time, but i would give a little edge to Sora to win here.

jollyjim311
Originally posted by IOU
well in terms of whos the better swordsman, id place my money on anoon

in virtually every source he appears in his skills with the saber are held in extremely high regard

for instance, from the cloak of deception:

"A Twi'lek, with slender head-tails and a heavily muscled upper body, his name was Anoon Bondara, a duelist of unparalleled skill. Qui-Gon engaged him in matches at every opportunity. For a match with Bondara, no matter how brief, was more instructive than twenty contests against lesser opponents."

from shadow hunter:

"At least she was not standing there alone. Behind her and slightly to one side was her mentor, Anoon Bondara. Master Bondara epitomized what Darsha hoped to become one day. The Twi'lek Jedi Master lived in the Force. Always still and complacent as a pool of unknown depth, he was nevertheless one of the best fighters in the order. His skill with a lightsaber was second to none. Darsha hoped that one day she might be able to exhibit a tenth of Anoon Bondara's adeptness."

from the power of the jedi sourcebook:

"darsha assant's teacher was the jedi master anoon bondara, a twi'lek jedi renowned for his skill with the lightsaber. to padawan darsha, of course, master bondara's prowess was unmatched."

anoon was also a practitioner of teras kasi, which would make him a far more dangerous opponent, given that hardly any jedi had any familiarity with the style whatsoever. from shadow hunter:

"The Jedi was obviously a master of the teras kasi fighting arts, as well, judging by the smooth way he parried and counterattacked."

and the power of the jedi sourcebook confirms that anoon was a master of teras kasi, not just a practitioner

being a lightsaber instructor, its also highly likely anoon was very proficient/had great knowledge, and perhaps even achieved mastery of multiple saber forms, or an extremely high mastery of his own, which is always a plus

so yes, clearly his technical abilities with a saber were virtually unmatched, and some of the best in the entire pt jedi order, so that coupled along with his mastery of teras kasi, and i think he may very well be able to take someone of sora's caliber in a straight out swordfight

close though

You basically posted what I would have, plus a (convincing) quote from Cloak of Deception. All I can add on is that Darsha had shown "strong force tendencies even as an infant," (excuse me if the quote is a word or two off, I don't have the book with me and online hosting has failed me once again) added before the fact that she hoped one day to have 1/10th of Anoon's adaptness.

And DS, as for that quote, is was from the narrator, and Darsha recalls how there was a lecture by Yoda in which he participated in combat (he doesn't have a lightsaber, but it does go to say that Darsha very well may have seen him actually fight, and that Anoon's skills are above Yoda's even when she saw three Jedi attack and not lay a finger on Yoda).

I'd say it is a close match, but, I think the safe bet here is Anoon.

darthsith19
That is hyperbole. Of course Darsha could be more than 1/10 of Anoon Bondara's adeptness.

The quote is clearly Darsha's thoughts. If Yoda doesn't have a lightsaber then how could he have participated in lightsaber combat? What you said doesn't make sense to me. Yoda merely dodged the masters attacks, he didn't actually use a lightsaber, he used the Force to evade the blades. That proves nothing. Was Anoon one of the 3 to attack Yoda? And do you really think that Anoon is above Yoda in saber combat? Cause I don't, and I seriously doubt that he could give CW Mace a good fight, either, or that he could pwn Tholme as badly as Bulq did.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.