Elves: too superior or just as balanced as the other races

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fire
what do you think?

at the first look, I agree that elves look to be the superior race in almost any fantasy related context, LOTR, DnD, ADnD, Vampire, Werewolf, Shadow Run.

but after a closer look (mostly RPG related) I always discovered that the elves their advantages are needed to keep their culture alive and that their physical advantages are kept in balance by mental disadvantages...

well maybe ppl can say that I'm an elf lover and that I give a subjectif projection of the elves. but I still believe the elves are as balanced as every other fantasy race

jayride
Elvis is definitely more superior than any other human.

...oh wait..i see. Let me change that.

I find elves to be greater. I see alot of balancing in books, movies, and games, however in reality it's no contest. (reality...heh.) Supposedly for humans, strength and learning rates are greater. Would you trade this for the elven abilities to have greater dexterity, senses, and speed? The rate of elven learning is supposed to be only slightly smaller. How many humans stretch learning to the max anyway?? Most of us are a bunch of lazy bastards.

Halflings on the other hand... oop! time for a new thread!

mah
elves are far superior to most, in powers. even if their glory days are over and they're soon going away

Fire
lol jay ride I think all fantasy races look (at first look only) superior to humans
but I mean are elves superior to other fantasy races (like half-elves, dwarves, hobbits, halflings, gnomes and so on......)

Dexx
i don't consider elves to be superior...All of the species have some strong good point on their side. Elves immortal (almost) therefore more intouch with the world. But mortality is Iluvatar's goft towards men. I see it that way.

Fire
idd smile

mah
its not only you who see it thatway, its clearly said in the Silmarillion.
but I'm not talking about who lives the best life, but the elves are the most knowledgable, and the wisest.

Corran
and the prettiest.

Dexx
big grin Yes but i didn't get to that part yet rolling on floor laughing
But yes..the elves are wise...and beautiful.......and good fighters. But dwarves also are good fighters and are better with raw materials than elves. Hobbits ....hobbits have something good too somewhere..but i'm too lzy to state it. It's with the humans that have bigger problems. Not in wiseness or looks. But they're psichologically weaker.

Fire
they all have advantages and disadvantages

Dexx
yes, but the question is who has more of wich...

mah
the elves ARE the most powerful, more than dwarves, humans, halflings etc.

Dexx
well..it deppends. halflings get rulled out fisically by all the others. Men heal harder and are less resistant. Dwarves are pretty strong. But they can all do wonders in certain.............. territories

Ushgarak
Elves are very much less motivated than humans, is one thing. Much of an Elves power comes from his centuries of life; humans learn a whole lot more in their short time on Middle-Earth compared to the first hundred years of an Elf.

glorfindel
not less motivated but motivated by different things(nature ect.) smile

glorfindel
Feanor,Luthien,Felagund all pretty motevated smile

Ushgarak
At what age?

glorfindel
HuH?

Ushgarak
How old were they when they were doing the actions that showed their motivation?

Fire
I still think they are all well balanced I think ush has a point
it's the same with elves having very good combat skills,
A) elves will try to find another -non combat- way
B) elves in middle earth act like the police force they have to make sure everything remains balanced

glorfindel
have you read the silmarillion?
elves there were first to want to fight. Feanor for example.

Ushgarak
Yup yup yup, but can you answer my question?

Fire
euhm sometimes the only option is war

I have read parts of the book (it's hard to get a hold of tolkien books other than lotr and the hobbit in belgium)

Dexx
same here but i managed to grab silmarillion from...outter rims...

Ushgarak
Well look, my point remaisn that humans become motivated much faster then elves, and are doing things at 18 that the average elf doesn't do until way into his second century.

glorfindel
To answer your question about me answering your question the answer is no stick out tongue

Dexx
hey!...elves...can do neat stuff at 18 and before....big grin

glorfindel
like what?

Dexx
ergh....singign? Still...i bet men can't do what elves do at 3000 years of age

glorfindel
True men at that age tend to smell wink

Fire
yea d'uuh

glorfindel
but back to the main point, I think elves are a bit up themselves and need to chill out a bit

Dexx
naah...they're not proud. Well...maybe feanor but he's dead. Btw....i'm having big trouble imagining him fighting balrogs. It says so in the book.

Fire
elves just seem to know that they make the best choices in time, so well idd they are a bit up themselves, but well most of the time their choices turn out to be right, so u can't blame them, tho idd it isn't very nice

Dexx
I should think the species were not put there for a contest of who's the best one but to reach a good understanding between them. Envy is caused by comparison thus vulnerability

yerssot
I agree btw it's FM from in school on yerss pc

mah
ah, thought it was yerss who made a rare visit to the LOTR section!smile

yerssot
hey! I try to follow these discussions! but if you start talking about some characters I stop reading

mah
ask Fire to give you a LOTR lesson...

yerssot
I want to be intrigued with LotR, not bored! stick out tongue

Fire
ooh basta stick out tongue, lotr is just too complicated for u stick out tongue

Corran
Hey leave yerss alone, just because Nursery Rhymes are too complicated for him, does not mean y'all should pick on him for it.

yerssot
hey! I know Sursery Rhymes!

Corran
What does it Rhyme with then?

yerssot
whatcha talking about? confused

Corran
You said you know Sursey rhymes, so what does sursey rhyme with?

yerssot
no mercy?

Corran
OK.

yerssot
hey?

Corran
roll eyes (sarcastic) Oh dear, well it would appear that Elves are at least more balanced than Belgians.

yerssot
they have arrows and we have catapults

Corran
They also have cute pointy ears.

yerssot
I know some belgians who have that too

Corran
I've never seen any.

yerssot
praise yourself lucky, he's a midget with ears of an elf

Corran
You don't mean Fire do you?

Dexx
well..then the orcs have big bad tanks compared with those arrows and catapults

yerssot
well it's FM, again, I just wanted to say that denis, the midget who yerss is talking about, does NOT have elf ears, at max he has hobbit ears smile

yerssot
Fire's over 6 feet tall so no I don't mean fire

yerssot
euhm u sure dexx, cause well I haven't heard anyone say that ever before that orcs have tanks,

mah or ush or anyone can u confirm that they have tanks?

and well if this is figure of speech it failed stick out tongue

mah
em..what does dexx mean by tanks..?

Fire
my question only stands when he means tanks, like the army vehicles

glorfindel
could the orc have large water tanks?? is that their deep dark secret?
is DEX an orc??

Dexx
yes...i'm a big black ugly orc

glorfindel
don,t put yourself down..we,ll do that for you.
we can only guese how ugly you are

Dexx
exactly......but u wouldn't even be close

glorfindel
If your that ugly who wants to get close

glorfindel
Shall we start a new thread "Is DEXX too superior or just as balanced as the rest of us (I don,t include me in this as I fall over sometimes) wink smokin'

Dexx
plz do.......hey..i wanted to say this some time ago...i doubt superior has a degree of comparison.

glorfindel
True, how can you(not you obviouly) be too superior?? ether you(no not you) are superior or you are not.

Dexx
ofcourse...now..back ontopic?

Ushgarak
You can be superior to a point that is in excess. Superior CAN be comparitive, which I would have thought was clear. The 100th ranked tennis player knows the 50th ranked is superior, but the top ranked is more superior still.

glorfindel
not sure thats good gramma?

mah
what?

Ushgarak
The grammar is fine; superior is like better; a person can be too much better, in the opinion of another, hence a person can be too superior.

The basis of the question in the thread title is not asking if Elves are too popwerful in themselves, but are they too powerful in comparison to the other races in Middle Earth.

Fire
idd ush, I think and know from quite a few ppl that they feel the elves are too powerful compared to the other races, I don't think so , but that's just me

Dexx
sick ...right
The elves are more powerfull, but they don't take advantage of it..and that's what matters.

Fire
yea probably dexx

Dexx
besides...earth is really their home.....they should have a little protection.

Fire
well I thinke very race needs protection, I think there are very few fantasy worlds which are a utopia most are filled with monsters and demons and such, evil almost always seems to be bigger than good

Dexx
yes..every race. Humans for example are only considered visitors on earth by elfes who are really immortal and are linked with the world. So they would need extra advantages...besides.....maybe all that wisdom is earned with time.

glorfindel
thats true I am human and i am only visiting for a short time smokin'

Ushgarak
BTW, Fire, what do you mean by saying that Elves are better in Vampire and Werewolf? Those are modern-day games, there ARE no Elves! Closest you have in them are the Changelings, which compared to the average Vampire and Werewolf PC are about as dangerous as a lawnmower.

Dexx
that could be dangerous

Fire
euhm well in the werewolf and vampire games I play there are elves, could be that the leader made them up but still they are there

I don't own any werewolf or vampire rule books so I don't know
all I know is that we can play elves in werewolf and vampire
but if u say they ain't in them normally I apologize

Ushgarak
Yeah, Dexx, that's why I said lawnmower as opposed to, say, a sponge, but not exactly a might opponent in any case.

Yeah, no elves in White Wolf games, Fire. Something odd going on there...

Fire
aaah well, I don't mind it, they just have some extra abilities for the rest they look like normal vampires and werewolves

Dexx
ush....that's why i said a lawnmower is dangerous....if used propperly

Ushgarak
I would imagine a lawnmower is meant to be safe if used PROPERLY! Scandalous otherwise...

Amusing diversion as this is, does anyone have any more on-topic comments?

Fire
I doubt it, u can close this down ush

LariCrai_Kenobi
wooooooo!!!! AM I late or what??? But, here's my 2 cents...

Elves are supirior by nature, but they have thier advantages and disavantages. They are not perfect, as much as we're lead to believe. They just happen to be more connected with things.....

And yes, I have for a long time been an elf lover.... LoL so don't kill me...

Dexx
"perfect" creatures would ruin the ballance...

glorfindel
elves are not perfect

LariCrai_Kenobi
We never ever said that, did wes? Lari never say "those nasty elves'' were prefect, did we, presssious??

>.o someone got me talking liek Gollum today and now I can't stop!!

But, yeah...

I never said they were perfect....

Dexx
i didn't either....

glorfindel
pordon wink who didn,t say what??????? Happy Dance

Dexx
so..where did i say elves are perfect?

glorfindel
the point where you said.....let me see.........PERFECT.......creatures would spoil the balance rolling on floor laughing smokin'

Ushgarak
Please read what people say properly, Glorfindel. Dexx was NOT saying Elves are perfect in that sentencei quite the opposite.

LariCrai_Kenobi
whoooops... I think mesa started an argument that didn't need to get started!

glorfindel
embarrasment

Dexx
mwahaha....
so..back to elves...

Mujaffa
EDIT - keep the pics to the pic-thread

Dexx
geese...every thread? oh well...

Julie
I don't really get the original question....so I'll jsut say that the elves are fine

Dexx
ah, Julie..we were just talking about their finess

Dejio
Elves are indeed superior on obvious aspects such as agility, sight, skill, and wisdom. But they are balanced by their weaknesses on other things like what one of you said; they have slower learning abilities than humans. They are also less adaptable to change. Which is why their race seems to be the same for centuries while the human species kept evolving.

One other thing, does anyone know how they multiply?!...

Fire
elves, same as human I assume by breeding

Dexx
r u kidding?...have you seen arwen?...yeah they breed alright.
The other disadvantage..they don't die

Mujaffa
no they make eggs and shit them out like the uruk-hai..KIDDING!!!!!

Dexx
umm...arwen nesting her little elf cubs..kinky
ok back ontopic

Fire
hihi, yea they have sex like normal humans I assume but not all elven couples have a child, for they usualy only have 1 child

Dexx
only one?...take the finwe house as an exaple..and there are many more

Darth Sauron
Bumping again

Exabyte
I dont think they are *superior*... they just see themselves as such sometimes roll eyes (sarcastic) at least the elves of the first age and before did... they became more modest during the centuries though ^^

Everything has its advantages and disadvantages... elves live longer and hence have more time for things like poetry, songs, crafts etc; their immortality and earth-bound-ness also saves them from problems like illnesses as men have them, and as they have less other problems to worry about, they have enough time to learn more about plants or animals, be more understanding than all mortals, dwarves etc ever will be.

On the other hand, their freedom is kinda limited, they cannot choose as freely as mortals who are masters of their own fate. They live longer, so they have to endure lots of losses and there is no way for them to escape their lives they are given.
Being immortal is a heavy burden to carry... but it doesnt make you superior.

If I was an elf, I think I'd be kinda jealous of Mortals who can do with their lives what they want...

Fëanor
being immortal would in some sense seem like a curse rather than a gift as mortals would think it...

this i don't understand...how is it that an immortal elf cannot choose freely and how are they not masters of their own fate...their only superiority is in their knowledge which is greater than men...because a skilled mortal can ape the works of elves...but, because they are immortal, their only drawback is that they may lack creativity or compromise to things that are known or unknown...a lack of imagination maybe.

an elf sees points A to B and knows the way...a man sees the same but decides there are other options to the problem in solving it so...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.