What's the best non cheezy anime series around?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Allankles
I'm looking to know the best non-cheezy anime series around.

I'm talking Samurai Champloo/Bebop/Wolf's Rain/Ghost in the shell/ Record of Lodoss war OVA/Black lagoon, and not Inuyasha/Naruto/Samurai Deeperkyo or One piece.

Help me out. I'm just trying to get some genuinely good anime series. It's hard to get anime that align with my tastes and there is so much anime I'm unfamiliar with.

King Kandy
Here's a good one: Outlaw Star.

Bruce Leeroy
Gundam Wing.

ADarksideJedi
I am not sure all of them to me all cheezy!jm

Black Adam
Originally posted by Allankles

I'm talking Samurai Champloo/Bebop/Wolf's Rain/Ghost in the shell/ Record of Lodoss war OVA/Black lagoon, and not Inuyasha/Naruto/Samurai Deeperkyo or One piece.

Help me out. I'm just trying to get some genuinely good anime series. It's hard to get anime that align with my tastes and there is so much anime I'm unfamiliar with.

Monster. no powers or fantasy elements but it's a good drama and suspense anime.

seconding outlaw star. You liked bebop and black lagoon so you might like that.

If you liked GITS you might like Ergo proxy

The 12 kingdoms was nice.

Claymore has been great so far.

Also the Hellsing Ovas.

StyleTime
Gunslinger Girl.

Allankles
Thanks for the feedback, I'll look for them.

Kero_Co
Gundam wing iis full of dry politics and one-dimensional characters. I'd go for 08th team. Of course, I have to mention Kino's Journey. Berserk, rahxephon, chrno crusade,afri samurai, nadesico(R.I.P. Gai). Actually, Anime-planet.com has an anime recommendation data base. You might want to give that a look over.

Bruce Leeroy
I agree that it has a lot of 1 dimensiona; characters, but it's my favourit of the Gundam Series besides G Gundam.

Miroku Herko
Inu-Yasha and dragonballaf is coming this summer

Black Adam
Originally posted by Miroku Herko
Inu-Yasha and dragonballaf is coming this summer

those are exactly the type of animes the topic creator doesn't want.

judgement hand
Originally posted by Allankles

GANTZ

srankmissingnin
Gungrave. Even if you don't like the entire series, you should love the flashback episodes that lead into Brandon becoming Grave, those episodes have a Bepop type feel to them. I think that is episodes 2-18. The rest of the episodes revolve around Grave, a revenant on quest for vengeance... given your taste you might not enjoy those episodes.

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by Miroku Herko
Inu-Yasha and dragonballaf is coming this summer Dragonball AF doesn't exist and a good serious anime IMO is Blood+.

Darth Macabre
Go with the classics: Yu Yu Hakusho and G Gundam. Zoids: Chaotic Century is pretty good. Are you look for mainstream animes like the ones I just mentioned, or do you want lesser known ones?

Symmetric Chaos
Hellsing
TrinityBlood
Monster

Originally posted by StyleTime
Gunslinger Girl.

He said noncheezy stick out tongue

Violent2Dope
I think Yu Yu Hakusho might classify as what he considers a cheezy anime.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Hellsing
TrinityBlood
Monster

Non-cheezy, says the man who recommended TrinityBlood! stick out tongue

I think he wants stuff that is slight on the supernatural/fantasy aspects though but I'm not sure.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Non-cheezy, says the man who recommended TrinityBlood! stick out tongue

embarrasment

How can a Catholic priest from a post-apocalyptic future who feeds off the blood of vampires be ceezy though? 313

srankmissingnin
embarrasment

How can a Catholic priest from a post-apocalyptic future who feeds off the blood of vampires be ceezy though? 313

whistle

StyleTime
mad stick out tongue

ladov52014
busou renkin and Kiba both over but great animes just under rated

King Kandy
It's getting Mainstream, but DeathNote is good.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by King Kandy
It's getting Mainstream, but DeathNote is good. Awesome, more like.

Inspectah Deck
g gundam and heat j

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
g gundam and heat j

Yeah, I'll second the Heat Guy J motion.

King Kandy
Are you kidding? G Gundam is the definition of cheezy.

Symmetric Chaos
SD Gundam!

Darth Macabre
Are you kidding? G Gundam is the definition of cheezy. Um...no?

StyleTime
Yeah. G Gundam is pretty cheezy my friend.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by StyleTime
Yeah. G Gundam is pretty cheezy my friend. Not at all. Either we're going by different meanings to the word "cheezy", or you're greatly confused. I admit, G has some lighter moments when it comes to dialogue, but not even close to cheese. Anyways, to the opening post, check out Nightwalker, that's pretty sweet.

King Kandy
Racial stereotypes join forces to defeat the main characters evil brother who is brought down by the power of positive emotions!

That is cheeze, my freind.

judgement hand
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
Dragonball AF doesn't exist and a good serious anime IMO is Blood+.

YES IT IS!!

Darth Macabre
Racial stereotypes join forces to defeat the main characters evil brother who is brought down by the power of positive emotions!

That is cheeze, my freind. Oh, come on, racial stereotypes are funny...Who doesn't like the cliched frenchman? And, in the end, he's not an evil brother. No, but honestly, compared to other cheezy animes, it's not that bad.

Anyways, has anyone seen Gunsmith Cats?

Kazenji
Originally posted by judgement hand
YES IT IS!!

If thats towards dragonball AF a series does'nt exist its just some fanboy bullshit.

Kero_Co
I saw gunsmith cats on the action channel a few years ago, back when we could afford digital cable.

Allankles
Funny thing is I did check out Deathnote and Ergo proxy just before I saw the recommendations here. I liked Ergo proxy, nice atmosphere and interesting story although the protagonist was irritating for large parts of the series.

As for Deathnote I thought it was pretty cool for the first 15 episodes, then it started breaking down with the whole Kira/kila-is-now-a-coorperate-executive angle and I stopped watching.

I also didn't like how L figured out everything. He was interesting at the start but I didn't like how he pinned the protagonist (don't remember his name) so early.

Claymore, I've started to watch and it's fairly interesting. Though I don't like the whole ranking Claymore's part of the plot, and I feel the battle animations could improve. That's part of the reason I loved Champloo it had the best battle/fighting animations of any anime series, it was as fluid as some of the best American animated series like Justice league and the batman and superman tas.

One thing I would wish to see in anime is a remake or a true continuation of Record of Lodoss OVA. I never cared for anime until I saw the series about two or three years ago, as well as well as wolf's rain and Champloo.

Kero_Co
I don't know about the anime, but in the manga L didn't exactly pin down everything. L was about 99% sure that Light was Kira, but because he never found that last 1% he never took action.L needed proof and facts. Near is exactly like L except near will go after something if he's 10% sure he go after his beliefs, even if there arn't any proof behind it.

King Kandy
Near is more effective then L.

judgement hand
Originally posted by Kazenji
If thats towards dragonball AF a series does'nt exist its just some fanboy bullshit.

it's not towards that dragonball crap

Kero_Co
Yeah, Near is more effective, although I actually like Mellow best. He was a man of action and you always knew something exciting was about to happen when he appeared.

King Kandy
Mellow was the least effective... If not for Shidoh, he never would have got anywhere.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.