Hello, What is a book i should get to read?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Eldon
Hello, I do not read much but would like to. I think I don't read a lot because I haven't found a book that interests me. I like horror a lot and science fiction and all that monster space stuff (if that isn't science fiction) any way can any one suggest a good book? Thank you

Gregory
When people ask me to recommend horror stories, I always tell them, Algernon Blackwood. That link will take you to his most famous story, which you can read free online with a bunch of his other stuff.

Then I recommend E.F. Benson's The Room in the Tower

You might try Richard Matheson, if you're looking for more modern stuff.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Eldon
Hello, I do not read much but would like to. I think I don't read a lot because I haven't found a book that interests me. I like horror a lot and science fiction and all that monster space stuff (if that isn't science fiction) any way can any one suggest a good book? Thank you The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

One of the funniest (if not the) Science Fiction books ever written.

Other Science Fiction

Arthur C. Clarke
- Childhood's End
- Rendesvouz with Rama

Isaac Asimov
- I, Robot
- The Caves of Steel
- Foundation

Robert Heinlein
- The moon is a Harsh Mistress
- Starship Troopers

Ray Bradbury
- Farhenheit 451

Frank Herbert
- Dune

Other books you should read:

Ayn Rand
- The Fountainhead

George Orwell

Aldous Huxley
- Brave New World

J.D. Salinger
- The Catcher in the Rye
- Nine Stories

Alan Moore (Graphic Novels)
- Watchmen
- V for Vendetta

Eldon
Nice selection of books there. But I feel for something a bit more horrorrish and gory any suggestions.

enjoyyrworries
Originally posted by Eldon
Nice selection of books there. But I feel for something a bit more horrorrish and gory any suggestions.

Pick up any Lovecraft. He delved into "cosmic horror," which basically means he was so into his stories he went insane. That's some intense shit, right there.

I'd start with Library of America's Lovecraft: Tales. It's the most comprehensive collection I've seen, and pretty cheap on Amazon to boot!

Kero_Co
I wouldn't pick up just any lovecraft. Dream-quest and silver key were terrible. They were like bad adventure stories. Most of his other stuff was good, though. Loved Hypnos.

Gregory
Lovecraft was hugely influential. As to whether Eldon should actually read him? Well, all of Lovecraft's stuff is available online, so if Eldon wants to check him out, he can do so for free, from the comfort of his own home. On the other hand, he was extremely racist (and it shows in his works), he couldn't write dialogue and didn't even bother trying, he couldn't write female characters (does he even have any other then the villain of "The Thing On the Doorstep"?) and his other characters lacked any real personality, his writing is overblown, and his themes somewhat repetative. Also, I certainly don't recall Lovecraft as being "gory"--don't know how important that is to Eldon.

If you want to check him out, I'd recommend The Color Out of Space.

enjoyyrworries
He was more than influential; he was one of the best authors of his time. You're of the modern-day literary opinion that writers must show the humanity of all their characters, which isn't at all a problem, but that wasn't Lovecraft's goal. His goal was to write great horror fiction. Little character development left more for creative thinking in that department.

He was extremely racist, though.

manorastroman
roger zelazny's amber series is excellent sci-fi/fantasy.

Azure
Pet Semetary by Steven King was a freaky one. almost anything by Steven King will be scary.

chillmeistergen
If you do choose King, and you're looking for gore, I'd personally go with Dark Half.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.